Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 UMS Theory and Ideas > Topic: Text-based Menu Systems
Text-based Menu Systems
Dec 10 2012, 6:09 am
By: MetalGear
Pages: < 1 2 3

Dec 12 2012, 6:33 am Azrael Post #41

Quote from TF-
I winnnnnnnnn. :P

By sheer luck! :D

There's a large segment of the StarCraft population playing on Windows XP, and an increasingly large segment playing on Windows 7. That's the reason both need to be taken into account. Unlike a game patch, which would make the previous version a non-factor, Windows 7 merely creates a new consideration to take into account. Windows XP still requires the same consideration it did before.

It just happens that the black colors which work the best on Windows XP don't work at all on Windows 7, and the black color that works the best on Windows 7 works somewhat on Windows XP :P

I'll keep my fingers crossed that there are some unknown color values out there which will give better results (it'd be nice if there were some perfect blacks for Windows 7, and one of them looked good in XP, or vice versa).

Quote from TF-
But yeah, the case of different operating systems totally slipped my mind, started thinking maybe everyone is using older sc versions for mods or something instead.

Ew modding :massimo:

Yeah, I was thinking maybe you guys were using a modded client or hacks or something, I hadn't considered it'd be different on Windows 7 :P

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Dec 13 2012, 4:15 am by Azrael.

Dec 13 2012, 2:34 am Leeroy_Jenkins Post #42

Azrael, try player color 138. I was told this is the truest of the true blacks.

It is a perfect black on windows 7, I'm curious about xp/vista or whatever it is you have

None.

Dec 13 2012, 3:46 am O)FaRTy1billion[MM] Post #43

👻 👾 👽 💪

I've always used 56.

TinyMap2 - Latest in map compression! ( 7/09/14 - New build! )
EUD Action Enabler - Lightweight EUD/EPD support! (ChaosLauncher/MPQDraft support!)
EUDDB - topic - Help out by adding your EUDs! Or Submit reference files in the References tab!
MapSketch - New image->map generator!
EUDTrig - topic - Quickly and easily convert offsets to EUDs! (extended players supported)
SC2 Map Texture Mask Importer/Exporter - Edit texture placement in an image editor!
\:farty\: This page has been viewed [img]http://farty1billion.dyndns.org/Clicky.php?img.gif[/img] times!

Dec 13 2012, 4:07 am Azrael Post #44

Quote from O)FaRTy1billion[MM]
I've always used 56.

We've already tested that in this thread and shown it does not work cross-platform.

Quote from Leeroy_Jenkins
Azrael, try player color 138. I was told this is the truest of the true blacks.

It is a perfect black on windows 7, I'm curious about xp/vista or whatever it is you have

Thanks Leeroy!

Just tested, 138 was a perfect black on Windows XP :D

Before I get my hopes up though, can someone on Windows 7 open one of the previous maps to ensure that 136 does not work for you (assuming you haven't already), and then try the attached map? Please report back with a screenshot ^^

Attachments:
blackunits3.scx
Hits: 7 Size: 38.58kb

Dec 13 2012, 4:12 am Roy Post #45

An artist's depiction of an Extended Unit Death

Edit: Rehosting didn't mess with the colors. Looks like we're good here.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Dec 13 2012, 4:20 am by Roy.

Dec 13 2012, 4:15 am Azrael Post #46

Wow, so there we have it. Good find Leeroy.

I'll highlight this so future readers can find the result easily.

The only perfect black is 138.

Dec 13 2012, 4:15 am Leeroy_Jenkins Post #47

Aha! 138! It is the blackest of all the blacks!

Quote from Azrael
Wow, so there we have it. Good find Leeroy.

I'll highlight this so future readers can find the result easily.

The only perfect black is 138.

Yes, although, this is in the wrong topic :P

None.

Dec 13 2012, 4:44 am MetalGear Post #48

What program do you use to change the player colors? SCMDraft 2 doesn't seem to work.

None.

Dec 13 2012, 4:53 am Roy Post #49

An artist's depiction of an Extended Unit Death

I use SCMDraft 2. Just enter the player number into the player color dropdown.

You can't change player colors for vanilla (.scm) maps; you need to make the map an expansion map (.scx) to give players different colors. This is because Blizzard introduced the color green to replace brown on the expansion tilesets of ice and desert, which gave us this new functionality.

Dec 21 2012, 8:32 pm Mouse Post #50

Also for this, you have to go into the Player section where it gives you options for computers, human, colors, race, etc. Then you just type in a number between 0 and 254. I think that's the highest at least.

None.

Dec 22 2012, 10:20 pm jjf28 Post #51

Cartography Artisan

0 and 254

0-255 (1 byte is 8 bits so it can have 2^8, or 256 possible states (like 8 switches being either set or cleared))

TheNitesWhoSay - Clan Aura - github

Reached the top of StarCraft theory crafting 2:12 AM CST, August 2nd, 2014.

Dec 22 2012, 10:29 pm Oh_Man Post #52

Find Me On Discord (Brood War UMS Community & Staredit Network)

255 seems to be the magic number for Starcraft.

Dec 29 2012, 1:09 am MetalGear Post #53

So I tried implementing the Probe / SCV dropship system and failed. I did it by creating Probes and SCVs near mineral chunks etc for computer player (which I'd later give to a human controlled player) and when I transfer them to dropship, they keep exiting the dropship automatically. Is there any way to stop this? Or is there a better way to trigger this system?

None.

Dec 29 2012, 4:43 am Leeroy_Jenkins Post #54

This is just what computer players do. They like to unload dropships.

None.

Feb 25 2013, 6:21 am Tank_7 Post #55

I once made a text menu system and none of my friends could seem to link up the Numbers to the dropship units, like the units in the dropship would be named Option 1, Option 2, etc up to Option 8 and then the text Menu would be like

1. Do this
2. Do that
3. Do something else

They were overwhelmed severely and there was much b****ing.

None.

Feb 25 2013, 8:34 pm Jack Post #56

>be faceless void >mfw I have no face

Quote from Kaias
For complex systems, text based menus are a very viable option. In multiplayer maps you can use the leaderboard (if it's free) to show whether a player is in menu or not. That or some other method should help alleviate the communication problems.

Lethal and I used an extensive text-based system in Nightfall a few years ago. I've uploaded a video of it (and a little extra):
The items were represented by units but interacted with textually. When the Menu is brought up, the items are removed so that they don't cause any interference with the clicking. The menu was not at all complete (e.g. database was functional but empty). For the record, Nightfall didn't use EUDs in any way.
This is seriously cool, no idea why you guys are asking about the black colour used when they've got pixel accurate detection for menu selection without using dropships, combined with customizable spells which you can customize with the menu system. Mindblowing stuff here Kaias/Lethal, I hope you end up releasing the map, even in incomplete form.

Red classic.

"In short, their absurdities are so extreme that it is painful even to quote them."

Options
Pages: < 1 2 3
  Back to forum