Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 UMS Theory and Ideas > Topic: Text-based Menu Systems
Text-based Menu Systems
Dec 10 2012, 6:09 am
By: MetalGear
Pages: < 1 2 3 >

Dec 11 2012, 1:15 pm TF- Post #21

🤙🏾

Quote from Kaias
For complex systems, text based menus are a very viable option. In multiplayer maps you can use the leaderboard (if it's free) to show whether a player is in menu or not. That or some other method should help alleviate the communication problems.

Lethal and I used an extensive text-based system in Nightfall a few years ago. I've uploaded a video of it (and a little extra):
The items were represented by units but interacted with textually. When the Menu is brought up, the items are removed so that they don't cause any interference with the clicking. The menu was not at all complete (e.g. database was functional but empty). For the record, Nightfall didn't use EUDs in any way.

That menu looks real good, the complete map would be a powerhouse no doubt but uh..how did you get that black player color to look right on the Ghost? I can get it to show in the editor but it's always corrupted in-game, like most unusual player colors.

🤙🏾

Dec 11 2012, 2:22 pm Azrael Post #22

Manually change the player color to "136".

Dec 11 2012, 3:00 pm TF- Post #23

🤙🏾

Quote from Azrael
Manually change the player color to "136".
Cool, thanks.

To get back on topic, some 'busy notification' would be helpful (if the leaderboard isn't available you could use unit deaths or sounds instead) but I don't think you can really fix it without some plugin or EUD that makes chat text display in text area different from the one used by triggers, like a brand new one or the text area for errors/cheat notifications.

I remember I put a text-based menu system in all my maps, it was a bit overloaded since I used a Starport instead of a Dropship, meaning only 5 options per submenu were possible.

edit: That color is broken for 1.16.1, I did some poking around and 166 works well.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Dec 11 2012, 5:28 pm by TF-.

🤙🏾

Dec 11 2012, 8:58 pm Azrael Post #24

Quote from TF-
Cool, thanks.

No problem.

Quote from TF-
That color is broken for 1.16.1

No, it isn't.

Also, 1.16.1 came out four years ago. All current information has been unaffected by patches for a long time.

Quote from TF-
166 works well.

No, it doesn't. 166 is not black in-game.

The color for black that works is 136.

Edit: It's been determined this is due to differences between how Windows XP and Windows 7 display player colors. See discussion below.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Dec 12 2012, 3:46 am by Azrael.

Dec 12 2012, 12:26 am Oh_Man Post #25

Find Me On Discord (Brood War UMS Community & Staredit Network)

Dec 12 2012, 12:52 am Azrael Post #26

Attachments:
blackunits.scx
Hits: 1 Size: 38.59kb

Dec 12 2012, 12:58 am Roy Post #27

An artist's depiction of an Extended Unit Death

You guys have different operating systems / rendering for DirectDraw (or something like that). Here's your map on Windows 7, Azrael:

Also, cloaking Hydralisks (disable/enable method) doesn't work on Win7, but it does on XP. I found this out with Leeroy_Jenkins one fine afternoon.

Dec 12 2012, 1:02 am Oh_Man Post #28

So it would seem 166 is the 'safer' number to use?

Dec 12 2012, 1:28 am Azrael Post #29

The colors show up differently for Windows XP and Windows 7? That sucks.

@Oh Man, of those two numbers, sure. There are a lot of numbers though.

166 certainly isn't ideal. It shows up with a ton of noise on my side, and it is a very noticeable blue on the minimap on your side. It is imperfect for everyone.

136 is a perfect black, at least to those who see it properly. The apparent issue is that it's completely terrible for people who don't see it properly.

I wish there was an easy way I could check what the colors look like on Windows 7, maybe find one that appears correctly to everyone.

Can you check the attached map? These are two more black colors. The first is another perfect black, 56. It is identical to 136 on my side. The second one is 64. It is nearly a perfect black; the units are black, and it's a very dark violet on the minimap (it looks cool, actually). A benefit to this black is that its color also shows up on leaderboards.

The map is attached below, so take a screenshot of how they look in the game, hopefully one of them is decent.

Attachments:
blackunits2.scx
Hits: 1 Size: 38.62kb

Dec 12 2012, 1:33 am Roy Post #30

An artist's depiction of an Extended Unit Death

Edit: No modifications, hosted again:

And again:

They seem to change colors given enough time.

Post has been edited 2 time(s), last time on Dec 12 2012, 2:33 am by Roy.

Dec 12 2012, 1:41 am Azrael Post #31

So it looks like 64 is the most stable between both systems (so far). It's basically a perfect black on this side, and it seems to be nearly the same on that side, aside from some slight dark blue noise on the units. It maintained its unique near-black minimap and leaderboard color, which is a huge plus.

How did the actual units look to you? Were parts of them glowing? If you joined a game as that color, would it look really strange to you, or would you think "cool, I'm black"?

With the growing percentage of StarCraft players using Windows 7, this is definitely an important thing to figure out. I'm glad I didn't have any black players in my most recent maps.

My new laptop has Windows 7 on it (as you already know Roy :P), so when I get my hands on it I'll have to check this out firsthand.

Dec 12 2012, 2:16 am Oh_Man Post #32

What does 166 look like on XP?

Dec 12 2012, 2:23 am jjf28 Post #33

Cartography Artisan

Did somebody say, cloaking hydras?

(Just in case any1 wants the spacing)

Attachments:
arb cloak.scm
Hits: 0 Size: 40.85kb
arb cloak (hypers).scm
Hits: 2 Size: 40.99kb

TheNitesWhoSay - Clan Aura - github

Reached the top of StarCraft theory crafting 2:12 AM CST, August 2nd, 2014.

Dec 12 2012, 2:42 am Azrael Post #34

Quote from Oh_Man

The colored parts of the units are about 50% covered in noise, which glows on and off. The glowing animation lights up to a dim blue color, like the color of P12, and then fades to a very dark blue. The other 50% of the colored areas is still black. The units don't look so bad that it's horrific (like how the 136 looks on Windows 7), but they do look strange (mainly due to the constant glowing). Units with larger patches of color (like the Hydralisk) look worse because the chunks of missing color are larger as well, whereas the Ghost looks decent.

Well like I said, it's not horrible, it just isn't a solid color of black. If 166 looked perfect on Windows 7, it'd be one thing (at least one set of people would get perfect results), but that minimap color is bad (especially in Roy's original screenshot, does that mean the 166 minimap color is variable? Or does it glow, changing shades of blue?)

Also, the units are black on the minimap, and invisible on the leaderboard (as is the norm with black colors other than 64 :P).

Edit: Looks like upon retesting, 64 is not stable for Windows 7 users, as the units will not always show up a near-black color. Thanks Roy.

That leaves 166 as the only viable black player color, of values known so far. All the other black colors (that I knew of at least) are now obsolete. That's a shame, since black was my favorite player color. I guess though, it's better for it to be an "okay" black for one side and a decent black for the other side, than for it to be perfect for one side and something entirely not black for the other :P

Anyways, I'll get my laptop over the holidays and try to find a better color for black on Windows 7. Ideally, it should at least also be black on the minimap, or close to it. Until something else is discovered, is seems 166 is the most stable cross-platform black.

Edit: A new value has been found. 138 is a perfect black on both platforms.

Post has been edited 3 time(s), last time on Dec 13 2012, 4:19 am by Azrael.

Dec 12 2012, 2:45 am Oh_Man Post #35

136 is almost a pure white but unfortunately doesn't look as good as the black. I dunno the white is almost too white I guess. Just feels bad.

Dec 12 2012, 2:57 am Azrael Post #36

Yeah, like the color was just removed with the erase tool. It definitely looks terrible on the Windows 7 side. That's really unfortunate.

Dec 12 2012, 3:08 am Kaias Post #37

Of all the things people could ask about Nightfall, I didn't think it would be the player color. I used 64 for black.

None.

Dec 12 2012, 3:38 am Oh_Man Post #38

Mate if you want ppl to ask about Nightfall you should make a separate thread specifically for nightfall.

EDIT: I've documented an effect I noticed in-game. Not sure what applications it could possibly have, or if it has already been discovered; but I figured since we're on the topic of colours I'll show you:

Move cursor over "MENU":

Note the change in the defiler wireframe.

Post has been edited 2 time(s), last time on Dec 12 2012, 3:54 am by Oh_Man.

Dec 12 2012, 4:34 am CecilSunkure Post #39

Quote from Kaias
Of all the things people could ask about Nightfall, I didn't think it would be the player color. I used 64 for black.
Kaias your ego is showing.

Quote from Oh_Man
Mate if you want ppl to ask about Nightfall you should make a separate thread specifically for nightfall.

EDIT: I've documented an effect I noticed in-game. Not sure what applications it could possibly have, or if it has already been discovered; but I figured since we're on the topic of colours I'll show you:

Move cursor over "MENU":

Note the change in the defiler wireframe.
Oh I think I see what's going on. It looks like the yellow colors are being highlighted, in order to highlight the yellow menu letters. The defiler seems to be getting the highlighting as well, accidentally.

None.

Dec 12 2012, 5:55 am TF- Post #40

🤙🏾

Quote from Azrael
Quote from Oh_Man
That leaves 166 as the only viable black player color, of values known so far. All the other black colors (that I knew of at least) are now obsolete. That's a shame, since black was my favorite player color. I guess though, it's better for it to be an "okay" black for one side and a decent black for the other side, than for it to be perfect for one side and something entirely not black for the other :P

Anyways, I'll get my laptop over the holidays and try to find a better color for black on Windows 7. Ideally, it should at least also be black on the minimap, or close to it. Until something else is discovered, is seems 166 is the most stable cross-platform black.

I winnnnnnnnn. :P
But yeah, the case of different operating systems totally slipped my mind, started thinking maybe everyone is using older sc versions for mods or something instead.

🤙🏾

Options
Pages: < 1 2 3 >
  Back to forum