Staredit Network > Forums > Null > Topic: The Killer's Game #3
The Killer's Game #3
Jan 24 2012, 12:47 pm
By: Azrael
Pages: < 1 2 3 430 >

Jan 26 2012, 6:03 am O)FaRTy1billion[MM] Post #21

👻 👾 👽 💪

What sort of story/setup will this one have?

TinyMap2 - Latest in map compression! ( 7/09/14 - New build! )
EUD Action Enabler - Lightweight EUD/EPD support! (ChaosLauncher/MPQDraft support!)
EUDDB - topic - Help out by adding your EUDs! Or Submit reference files in the References tab!
MapSketch - New image->map generator!
EUDTrig - topic - Quickly and easily convert offsets to EUDs! (extended players supported)
SC2 Map Texture Mask Importer/Exporter - Edit texture placement in an image editor!
\:farty\: This page has been viewed [img]http://farty1billion.dyndns.org/Clicky.php?img.gif[/img] times!

Jan 26 2012, 8:11 am Azrael Post #22

It'll be more like the first one than the second one, I can say that much ^^

First turns will likely be sent out Saturday. Sign-ups will remain open until then.

Edit: I've been considering Observer's suggestions, and was thinking about adding a stat selection for every player. There would be a list to choose from, from which you could select one benefit for your character. Examples would be "Perceptive - You have a keen eye for detail" and "Knowledgeable - You are a well-learned individual". You would not directly know when you were gaining the benefit of your ability, as they would all be passive and have generalized descriptions, but you could probably make an educated guess.

I'd appreciate any input. This mechanic's implementation will only happen if there's enough interest and positive feedback.

Post has been edited 2 time(s), last time on Jan 26 2012, 8:23 am by Azrael.Wrath.

Jan 26 2012, 8:52 am Aristocrat Post #23

Quote from name:Azrael.Wrath
Edit: I've been considering Observer's suggestions, and was thinking about adding a stat selection for every player. There would be a list to choose from, from which you could select one benefit for your character.
Why can't it be like TKG1, where every player was assumed to have as much physical prowess as one another and as much intellect and attention to detail as the player's turn PMs indicate? I'd hate to miss a detail that another player catches on just because he selected an attribute and I didn't. If he sends in a PM saying "scan room for stuff", he should get back as much info as that general statement does, as opposed to instructions like "Search the room for potentially useful items, taking care to search crevices, corners, containers, and other sites which can potentially contain a useful item of any size", which should always yield superior information output than the other.

None.

Jan 26 2012, 9:03 am Azrael Post #24

It would certainly still work like that, the difference being that the person with the Perception attribute, for instance, might notice something that would have otherwise been missed. Not having the attribute wouldn't make you miss things that you would have originally noticed, though.

Basically, your character would be how you would expect, in addition to the benefit of your choice. You won't be negatively penalized for the benefits you didn't choose.

Edit: Then again, I sort of like all characters being created equal in natural ability, with the exception of the killer in some instances. This is about as subtle of a change as I could potentially make, like I can't really give direct abilities (sprint an additional room, extra action per turn, etc) because that would just break the game. The game mechanics are how they are after much balancing and fine-tuning, and making alterations to the core mechanics would imbalance the game and remove the skill factor from it.

Of course, anyone who's played doesn't need me telling them that, which is why I want to know your opinions about this suggested addition. If even this level of gameplay alteration is deemed too severe, I won't implement it. Or to be more accurate, I won't implement it unless the general consensus is that the change won't be too severe.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Jan 26 2012, 9:28 am by Azrael.Wrath.

Jan 26 2012, 9:21 am Aristocrat Post #25

But will these things which otherwise would have been missed been possible to find at all without the attribute?

None.

Jan 26 2012, 9:30 am Azrael Post #26

Yes, it'd most likely allow you to see something at a cursory glance which someone else would need to focus on. It wouldn't increase the physical ability of your character, just their default level of awareness.

I edited some content into my previous post, by the way.

Jan 26 2012, 9:34 am Aristocrat Post #27

I'm still unsure about it; it makes the player characters inherently different rather than differing only due to player input, which is something I thought was a great part of TKG that would be heavily missed if it disappeared. Players should be rewarded for adapting their turn PMs to suit their environment rather than having lucky foresight to pick something beneficial as a trait.

None.

Jan 26 2012, 9:35 am Azrael Post #28

Your thoughts on it mirror my own. I'll leave it open for comment though in case anyone else has an opinion to offer.

Jan 26 2012, 12:14 pm The Starport Post #29

I wouldn't mind having about the same game as the first. The flaws of 'badass' characters are only exposed in the open if the game ends up something like my TKG Brawl where everyone is in the same general, adjacent vicinity. Here, it's a welcome simplification for my feeble brain.

None.

Jan 26 2012, 12:26 pm Azrael Post #30

You mean the flaws of allowing 'badass' characters to visually track and accurately target people in adjacent rooms with projectiles without requiring them to state their target is even in an adjacent room and not requiring them to use an action to gain that vision into the adjacent room? Yes, those did become apparent :P

Also, the other problem there is that actions weren't being gauged by thoroughness, depth, or level of specificness. I wrote out about three pages of content regarding my actions, even using an action to see into the adjacent room when firing, taking into account my body position, target's actions, everything. I was specifically targeting someone in the next room, and attempting to kill them.

Whereas Nude was basically like "kill guy holding bandage", and although I purposely left the room before that action fired, it still resulted in my death because our actions were considered equally, and due to the aforementioned imbalance of allowing people to have free and automatic vision outside their immediate area.

Jan 26 2012, 1:18 pm OlimarandLouie Post #31

Quote from name:Azrael.Wrath
Edit: I've been considering Observer's suggestions, and was thinking about adding a stat selection for every player. There would be a list to choose from, from which you could select one benefit for your character. Examples would be "Perceptive - You have a keen eye for detail" and "Knowledgeable - You are a well-learned individual". You would not directly know when you were gaining the benefit of your ability, as they would all be passive and have generalized descriptions, but you could probably make an educated guess.

I'd appreciate any input. This mechanic's implementation will only happen if there's enough interest and positive feedback.
Perhaps we could also choose from a small selection of minor starting items (compass, small flashlight, notepad, etc.) as well?

None.

Jan 26 2012, 1:28 pm Azrael Post #32

I think I have a good idea on how to incorporate all the suggestions made both publicly and privately thus far.

Any further input in the form of comments, concerns, or additional suggestions is welcome though.

Jan 26 2012, 3:55 pm Observer12425 Post #33

I've been thinking over my own suggestion, and I agree that it would probably cause too many problems to be implemented.

None.

Jan 26 2012, 4:32 pm Roy Post #34

An artist's depiction of an Extended Unit Death

I vote no on any starting choices. You should be fully immersed into a fictional character and have to handle that appropriately.

I'm also generally against the idea of giving players perks or passive abilities (with the exception of the killer being slightly more experienced in combat). If you want to give players varying passive abilities, however, you should base it on the character's past experiences; that way, we'd have to recall our past and then only have a general idea of what we may have advantages/disadvantages in. This is how I liked to think the first TKG worked.

Jan 26 2012, 9:30 pm Azrael Post #35

Yeah, I think you're right on that account too. Even if there were some kind of advantages, they should be inherent to the character.

Jan 26 2012, 10:05 pm TiKels Post #36

I like the idea of picking maybe a few basic items at the start though... maybe do a system where you give us like 100 dollars and we can, for a free extra action at our first submitted turn, get some supplies like rope or string, a few bullets, a knife...

Or if you wanna be cool, let us pick a useless item, something to be a symbol for our character, like a harmonica or a toothpick or something! There would be rules about it, that we cannot do anything with the object like "Use [symbol]" ... or just have it constantly in use. It would have no negative or positive effect apart from optional recognition and easy proof of identity.

"If a topic that clearly interest noone needs to be closed to underline the "we don't want this here" message, is up to debate."

-NudeRaider

Jan 26 2012, 10:18 pm EzTerix Post #37

*don't go out of bounds

GOT IT,

IN

None.

Jan 28 2012, 8:34 am Azrael Post #38

Going to be starting the game on Monday, January 30th. Sign-ups will remain open until turns go out.

Post has been edited 2 time(s), last time on Jan 31 2012, 2:19 am by Azrael.Wrath.

Jan 28 2012, 8:52 am poison_us Post #39

Back* from the grave

:ermm:

Jan 28 2012, 8:58 am Azrael Post #40

Haha, yeah it's late. I'll edit that so no one thinks I'm going to retroactively start the game last Monday and send a week's worth of turns all at once :kame:

Options
Pages: < 1 2 3 430 >
  Back to forum