Staredit Network > Forums > Null > Topic: Mafia - STARCRAFT Edition!
Mafia - STARCRAFT Edition!
Mar 23 2011, 8:40 pm
By: Dem0n
Pages: < 1 « 18 19 20 21 2224 >

May 4 2011, 11:51 am poison_us Post #381

Back* from the grave

Quote from DevliN
We have a failsafe that may end this in the next night if we don't lynch him, so we'll see. :D
About that....Demon never sent me a message at all about what you're talking about, so...cough...

May 4 2011, 4:10 pm DevliN Post #382

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

Quote from poison_us
Quote from DevliN
We have a failsafe that may end this in the next night if we don't lynch him, so we'll see. :D
About that....Demon never sent me a message at all about what you're talking about, so...cough...
Well poo.

\:devlin\: Currently Working On: \:devlin\:
My Overwatch addiction.

May 4 2011, 5:04 pm poison_us Post #383

Back* from the grave

I don't know if my action went through, or what happened, but my inbox has no new messages. Last one I got was from Olimar about his MM.

May 4 2011, 10:21 pm Voyager7456 Post #384

Responsible for my own happiness? I can't even be responsible for my own breakfast

I believe you were hit with Psionic Hold, poison. If Echo isn't the mafia (unlikely) I will Restore you to prevent that from happening again.

all i am is a contrary canary
but i'm crazy for you
i watched you cradling a tissue box
sneezing and sniffling, you were still a fox

Modding Resources: The Necromodicon [WIP] | Mod Night
My Projects: SCFC | ARAI | Excision [WIP] | SCFC2 [BETA] | Robots vs. Humans | Leviathan Wakes [BETA]

May 4 2011, 10:31 pm DevliN Post #385

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

I was under the assumption that the first part of Dem0n's post was referring to poison, meaning it did work.

My Overwatch addiction.

May 4 2011, 10:36 pm Voyager7456 Post #386

Responsible for my own happiness? I can't even be responsible for my own breakfast

Yes, the first part of his post refers to poison. The entire first part, including:
Just then, as the man was about to walk away, he felt a sharp pain in his head. In the shadows, a figure stood there. It was focusing its attention on the man. After a few moments, the pain went away, but the man could not remember what he had been planning to do.

"What the..? Why am I here? What the hell are all these body parts doing around me?"

The man slowly walked away, even more confused than he had been before.

Poison was planning to assume someone's identity, this other figure stopped him.

but i'm crazy for you

My Projects: SCFC | ARAI | Excision [WIP] | SCFC2 [BETA] | Robots vs. Humans | Leviathan Wakes [BETA]

May 4 2011, 10:42 pm DevliN Post #387

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

Ah okay, for some reason I read that as if he had assumed the identity, and the confusion was due to the change. Him being stopped makes sense, though.

My Overwatch addiction.

May 4 2011, 10:48 pm Roy Post #388

An artist's depiction of an Extended Unit Death

Quote from name:Dem0nS1ayer
Amnesiac - The Amnesiac can never remember what his purpose in life is. Therefore, he cheats the system by claiming a false identity of a deceased citizen.
Special Abilities:
Claim Role - The Amnesiac claims the role of a dead player. Can be used once per game.
Bahahahahahahahaha.

May 4 2011, 10:51 pm poison_us Post #389

Back* from the grave

:/

May 4 2011, 10:57 pm DevliN Post #390

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

I do think it is odd that the "Once per game" thing applies even if it never goes off. Similarly, wouldn't a player who is mind controlled and forced to use a "once per game" ability not be able to use it after they are no longer mind controlled?

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on May 4 2011, 11:09 pm by DevliN.

My Overwatch addiction.

May 4 2011, 11:03 pm Dem0n Post #391

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

:| Does a "once per game" ability get renewed if it doesn't go through? What has happened in past mafia games? :hurr:

May 4 2011, 11:06 pm DevliN Post #392

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

Honestly that's what I thought happened, too. Like if someone prevented Mind Control, it would never be used and therefore could be used the next night instead.

I was under the impression the "once per game" rule for the Amnesiac is there to prevent the Amnesiac from constantly switching after taking a role the first time. In this case, he never took a role the first time.

EDIT:
Also, technically it was never used. "That player cannot use his/her abilities for that night" is the text for the Cerebrate, so based on semantics his ability was never "used."

My Overwatch addiction.

May 5 2011, 12:09 am Voyager7456 Post #393

Quote from DevliN
Also, technically it was never used. "That player cannot use his/her abilities for that night" is the text for the Cerebrate, so based on semantics his ability was never "used."

This.

but i'm crazy for you

May 5 2011, 12:15 am Roy Post #394

Quote from DevliN
I do think it is odd that the "Once per game" thing applies even if it never goes off. Similarly, wouldn't a player who is mind controlled and forced to use a "once per game" ability not be able to use it after they are no longer mind controlled?
That is exactly how my role worked, so you helped support my point. If I mind controlled Jim Raynor on Night 1, then I would kill someone on Night 1 and no longer have that power. I was explicitly told this by Demonslayer.

And I would be willing to bet that had I used Mind Control on Night 2, Valerian's cancel would have made me unable to use it for the rest of the game.

The Amnesiac using their ability only to have it be prevented is still using the ability, in my opinion. Arguing this detail is pointless for this game, however, because it's game over (well, not right now, because you guys are voting for Echo, but it will soon be over).

May 5 2011, 12:18 am poison_us Post #395

Back* from the grave

Quote from name:Dem0ns1ayer
yeah, your action didn't go through.
:massimo:

Well, apparently since I "used" it, but it was blocked, similar to how a Hit that was Dodged is still an attempted Hit, it's used up.

May 5 2011, 12:18 am Dem0n Post #396

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

I told you that if you used your power to use someone else's one-time-only ability, then you could not mind control them again to reuse the power. That actually doesn't matter anyway, since your mind control ability was a one-time ability.

May 5 2011, 12:20 am DevliN Post #397

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

@Roy: Wait what? I don't think you understood my point. My point was that if you used Mind Control to control someone like Valerian, and make him use his "can only be used once per game" ability, then he should no longer be able to use it as it had already been used.

If you mind control someone and it works, then you shouldn't have that power anymore as it has only one use. That makes sense to me, so I don't see what the issue is.

My Overwatch addiction.

May 5 2011, 12:22 am Roy Post #398

Quote from name:Dem0nS1ayer
I told you that if you used your power to use someone else's one-time-only ability, then you could not mind control them again to reuse the power. That actually doesn't matter anyway, since your mind control ability was a one-time ability.
My question was "If I mind control someone, do I have to use their ability on the same night? Or can I choose?" to which you replied I would have to use it same-night. This left me with the impression that since it was a one-use ability and it fires when I use it, I wouldn't have someone's ability the following night.

And the fact that you'd let a one-time ability be used by the town after I use it via mind-control was disappointing. And nerfing Valerian's ability if Mafia used it.

Quote from DevliN
@Roy: Wait what? I don't think you understood my point. My point was that if you used Mind Control to control someone like Valerian, and make him use his "can only be used once per game" ability, then he should no longer be able to use it as it had already been used.
Yeah, Demon said Valerian could still use it even if I mind-control used it.

May 5 2011, 12:24 am DevliN Post #399

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

That makes sense though, as the point would be to mind control them for that night and use it then.

Hmm I wonder what would have happened if you MCed the Amnesiac.

My Overwatch addiction.

May 5 2011, 12:32 am Roy Post #400

I think we're mixing issues here. I'm not arguing the mechanics of mind control; that was just a clarity issue that Demon resolved for me when I asked.

Is your point that if mind control uses a one-time ability, it SHOULDN'T allow the player to use the one-time ability afterward? Or that it should? I think it shouldn't (whereas Demon determined that it should). I also think that if I mind-controlled Valerian after he already used his ability, I wouldn't be able to use it because it's already spent.

Quote from DevliN
Hmm I wonder what would have happened if you MCed the Amnesiac.
I would have picked who the Amnesiac becomes, obviously. Of course, to keep consistency, the Amnesiac would then also have his own "Claim Role" remain untouched, so he could switch afterward?

The Amnesiac role should probably been written as "Once the Amnesiac has claimed a role, he loses all Amnesiac powers."

Options
Pages: < 1 « 18 19 20 21 2224 >
  Back to forum