Staredit Network > Forums > Null > Topic: The 'Why I didn't get StarCraft 2' Thread
The 'Why I didn't get StarCraft 2' Thread
Aug 2 2010, 10:11 pm
By: lSHaDoW-FoXl
Pages: < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Polls
Did you get SC2?
Did you get SC2?
Answer Votes Percentage % Voters
Yes, and it's better then SC1 17

31%
Yes, it's not as good as SC1 6

11%
No, I don't plan on getting it 7

13%
No, but I plan on getting it 14

26%
I don't care I just want to fuck a Zergling! 11

20%
Please login to vote.
Poll has 55 votes. You can vote for at most 1 option(s).

Aug 3 2010, 5:18 pm Sand Wraith Post #41

she/her

Yea, art direction is WarCraft in space.

I don't care I just want to fuck a Zergling!

I picked that the moment I read it.

kekekekekekekeKEKEKEKEKEKEKEKEKE

Aug 3 2010, 5:48 pm The Starport Post #42

Quote from CecilSunkure
Hmm seems like they tried to make Zeratul look old, experienced, battle hardened? I dunno, but he most definitely is a lot uglier and wierd looking :C
You know what Zeratul reminds me of?

None.

Aug 3 2010, 6:01 pm Azrael Post #43

Fuck dude, I want to give you some +karma. I was just playing through the original game again last week.

But yeah, there is some similarity there, though I would hope their faces look a bit different under the cloth :lol:

Aug 3 2010, 6:26 pm Excalibur Post #44

The sword and the faith

To anyone who says their computer can't run it:
I did a newegg build of a tower that can run SC2 comfortably for 375$. You have no excuse.

SEN Global Moderator and Resident Zealot
-------------------------
The sword and the faith.

:ex:
Sector 12
My stream, live PC building and tech discussion.

Aug 3 2010, 6:29 pm Norm Post #45

Quote from Excalibur
I did a newegg build of a tower that can run SC2 comfortably for 375$. You have no excuse.

Coming from the guy who doesn't have rent / tuition / insurance / bills to pay for. Let alone a hobby that takes priority over computers...

None.

Aug 3 2010, 11:49 pm DavidJCobb Post #46

Quote from Excalibur
Not knowing how to do that, not having a credit card with which one could buy things online, and not knowing how to identify good hardware are all valid excuses, Ex.

None.

Aug 5 2010, 3:06 am Riney Post #47

Thigh high affectionado

Where the fuck is the "just as good" option

Riney#6948 on Discord.
Riney on Steam (Steam)
@RineyCat on Twitter

-- Updated as of December 2021 --

Aug 5 2010, 4:00 am Jack Post #48

>be faceless void >mfw I have no face

Quote from Excalibur
I got strict parents bro, they threatened to boot me out of the house if I bought a computer without their permission.

I haven't got it yet, I will buy it when I have the time to actually play it.

Red classic.

"In short, their absurdities are so extreme that it is painful even to quote them."

Aug 5 2010, 4:02 am Roy Post #49

An artist's depiction of an Extended Unit Death

To: techsupport@blizzard.com
Subject: Installation Problem

To whom it may concern:

I seem to be having a problem installing StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty. I have downloaded the digital copy off of the Blizzard website and have ran the installer. The computer is hooked up to the internet, so it gets the activation key like it should and everything. The main problem is that I lack the $60 to purchase the game, and thus I do not have a key. I have Windows XP Professional, and I've updated all of my drivers, searched online, and read through several forums, but I can't seem to find any information on the $60 required for the game.

Being a poor college student, I don't have any $60 laying around my apartment, although it seems mandatory to play the game. Was it supposed to be included into the digital download and I didn't receive it for some reason? Or must I get the $60 from a third party prior to installing this game?

I have been playing Blizzard games since The Lost Vikings on my old SNES, and all of your games are nothing short of amazing. I have every game excluding WoW (for similar installation problems). Could you provide me a fix for this SC2 installation problem?

Thank you very much for your time.

Sincerely,

Roy Gallant
That's probably why I don't have StarCraft II yet.

Aug 5 2010, 4:04 am Jack Post #50

>be faceless void >mfw I have no face

Quote from Roy
To: techsupport@blizzard.com
Subject: Installation Problem

To whom it may concern:

I seem to be having a problem installing StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty. I have downloaded the digital copy off of the Blizzard website and have ran the installer. The computer is hooked up to the internet, so it gets the activation key like it should and everything. The main problem is that I lack the $60 to purchase the game, and thus I do not have a key. I have Windows XP Professional, and I've updated all of my drivers, searched online, and read through several forums, but I can't seem to find any information on the $60 required for the game.

Being a poor college student, I don't have any $60 laying around my apartment, although it seems mandatory to play the game. Was it supposed to be included into the digital download and I didn't receive it for some reason? Or must I get the $60 from a third party prior to installing this game?

I have been playing Blizzard games since The Lost Vikings on my old SNES, and all of your games are nothing short of amazing. I have every game excluding WoW (for similar installation problems). Could you provide me a fix for this SC2 installation problem?

Thank you very much for your time.

Sincerely,

Roy Gallant
That's probably why I don't have StarCraft II yet.
I love you. That's Post of the Year quality.

Red classic.

"In short, their absurdities are so extreme that it is painful even to quote them."

Aug 5 2010, 8:43 am NudeRaider Post #51

We can't explain the universe, just describe it; and we don't know whether our theories are true, we just know they're not wrong. >Harald Lesch

It was funny, except you don't need money to install or even start the game. ;)

Aug 5 2010, 3:13 pm Centreri Post #52

Relatively ancient and inactive

I have SCII now, love it. The campaign is friggin awesome.

Devlin, tell me when the honeymoon phase ends. ;o

None.

Aug 5 2010, 3:49 pm CoolManJones Post #53

fyi, blizzard is a bunch of stoners that had an incredible amount of luck producing sc1. That luck just wasn't there when sc2 came out, hence the "fairly" in your judgement. The simple fact of the matter is, it's not even in the same league as sc1. it's like a full 4 tiers below when it comes to gaming. There are things in sc1 that will never transfer to sc2, and the new things are shiny, easy for noobs, etc. Not that blizzard didn't try, just they didn't have the sheer luck of 1998 when they made the hit we all know and love.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Aug 5 2010, 6:55 pm by Excalibur. Reason: Removing flames, arrogant childishness, and other assorted aspec

None.

Aug 5 2010, 4:07 pm BiOAtK Post #54

I said fairly about the difficulty. Nothing else. I've only been playing it on Hard and some levels I blew through and some I was stuck at. "Noob-ass opinion"? How long have you been playing this game? I've played it since the week it was released. GG noob. No re.
Your stupid and childish opinions don't matter whatsoever. If Blizzard is "just a bunch of stoners" who just have "an incredible amount of luck" then why have they consistently created amazing games? Wc1. Wc2. Diablo. Diablo 2. SC1. Lost Vikings. I personally dislike WoW but it is a great game for what it is. Blizzard consistently creates good titles. That's not luck. I don't see how the graphic style has anything to do with the game. It's not even "shiny" anymore. Have you even played SC2? It has a learning curve. Easy to understand, hard to master. That is what games should be. Your elitism about learning curves is incredibly stupid.

None.

Aug 6 2010, 4:50 am Roy Post #55

An artist's depiction of an Extended Unit Death

Quote from NudeRaider
It was funny, except you don't need money to install or even start the game. ;)
I was using "install" not as the actual installation and launching the game, but the fact that you need to sign on once to play the game at all. As I see it, putting a game on your hard drive and then launching it only to be unable to play is an installation problem. I realize that it can also be a hardware problem, such as incompatibility or not meeting minimum requirements, which is why I referenced the money as though it was a piece of hardware.

I could have put more time into it, but it was only worth a cheap laugh. Some Blizzard tech guy spammed my email with 5 different automated solutions and then sent me a "Glad to hear your problem was resolved" email. Whether he was ticked or was just reflecting an equally smart-ass attitude, I do not know, but I rather enjoyed the response.

Aug 6 2010, 5:15 am ShredderIV Post #56

Yes, I bought SC2 and finished the campaign already.

And Foxwolf the only reason I could even play it is because they released it for mac too. As for them releasing the map editor later for macs and being behind in the beta for macs, that is mostly because they had to take the time to adjust the code for mac users. They made the game on pc's, therefore the game was immediately ready for pc's. They went oiut of their way to make the game mac compatible, so dont make them seem like bad guy who keep us hipster mac users down :P.

And Roy, as funny as that email was, if I had been the guy to get that meail as blizzard tech support, I may just have thrown my computer right out the window.

None.

Aug 6 2010, 5:21 am Centreri Post #57

Relatively ancient and inactive

I'd say that anyone who insults Blizzard at this point is an idiot. SCII is an amazing product, and despite the bnet 2.0 thing, the various gimmicks about melee gameplay (movement 'too smooth') were caused more by a lack of the technology back then to make it right. Enjoy it or don't, but don't insult Blizz. They don't deserve it; for $60 I'm getting a game I'll likely play extensively for quite a while.

None.

Aug 6 2010, 8:26 am Vrael Post #58

Quote from Centreri
but don't insult Blizz
Insult Activision.

None.

Aug 6 2010, 8:36 am Undead-Fox Post #59

Quote from Vrael
Quote from Centreri
but don't insult Blizz
Insult Activision.
What he said.

None.

Aug 6 2010, 1:54 pm FoxWolf1 Post #60

Quote from ShredderIV
And Foxwolf the only reason I could even play it is because they released it for mac too. As for them releasing the map editor later for macs and being behind in the beta for macs, that is mostly because they had to take the time to adjust the code for mac users. They made the game on pc's, therefore the game was immediately ready for pc's. They went oiut of their way to make the game mac compatible, so dont make them seem like bad guy who keep us hipster mac users down :P.

What I'm worried about is that they are going to take your money, get you to make the game a part of your life, and then drop support somewhere down the line, leaving you either with nothing at all or a severely crippled game. If it were 10 years ago, I would have trusted Blizzard not to do that, but after the way things went with SC1, I'd need some show of change on their part to earn that trust back. Releasing the editor at the same time-- even if it meant simply holding off on releasing the PC editor until the Mac editor was ready-- could have restored some of that trust. It takes a lot to get me to spend money on a game (enough that it almost never happens), and a game where I don't trust the company not to, say, suddenly and permanently remove the map editor just isn't going to make the cut.

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 2 3 4 5 >
  Back to forum