Staredit Network > Forums > Null > Topic: The 'Why I didn't get StarCraft 2' Thread
The 'Why I didn't get StarCraft 2' Thread
Aug 2 2010, 10:11 pm
By: lSHaDoW-FoXl
Pages: < 1 « 3 4 5

Polls
Did you get SC2?
Did you get SC2?
Answer Votes Percentage % Voters
Yes, and it's better then SC1 17

31%
Yes, it's not as good as SC1 6

11%
No, I don't plan on getting it 7

13%
No, but I plan on getting it 14

26%
I don't care I just want to fuck a Zergling! 11

20%
Please login to vote.
Poll has 55 votes. You can vote for at most 1 option(s).

Aug 6 2010, 5:58 pm DevliN Post #81

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

Quote from FoxWolf1
Because that is, in effect, what they did to Mac SC1: they dropped OS9 support and made the game itself OSX-only, so if you had an old OS9 computer, you couldn't download the latest patch, meaning no playing on battle.net...but then kept StarEdit OS9-only, meaning if you upgraded to a new, all-OSX computer, you had no editor anymore. Only people with computers in just the right age range, with both operating systems, got to have StarEdit and the game. Sure, there are emulation solutions out there, but they are relatively unstable and only suitable for people resourceful enough to get them working, so for most people with OSX who don't also have Windows, they're simply out of luck.
I used to use a Mac to make maps up until two years ago. I remember very clearly when that switch was made with SC on OS X and the editor still on OS 9. I also clearly remember that the version of OS X out at the time was able to run OS 9 programs, in an OS 9 emulator of sorts (as was the following version of OS X). Also I'd like to point out that a majority of the time, I used StarEdit Emerald, GUEdit, and StarFire Edit make maps rather than the original StarEdit program (as PC users used X-tra Edit, Emerald, StarForge, and SCM Draft). I don't think anyone used the actual editor that came with the game once all the mods started coming out.

I honestly do not understand why you'd be frustrated with Blizzard releasing the Mac beta editor so far after the PC version considering it was just beta. Obviously the Mac/PC hybrid was released when the game shipped, so it's not like that has any tangible effect on you. Hell, let's also consider that Blizzard is one of the only game companies to even consider making a Mac version at release. That alone should tell you they care about Mac-users.

As a side note, the team that ported the PC version of SC2 to Mac was relatively small compared to the team that wrote the PC version, so I imagine that's what the hold-up was.

\:devlin\: Currently Working On: \:devlin\:
My Overwatch addiction.

Aug 6 2010, 6:52 pm Vi3t-X Post #82

Because a certain badass got it for me.

The Immortal concept is cool, but the unit is indeed bland. I find the Colossus to be awesome as it is though, even if it looks like a standing squid.
The only downside I see currently is the poor multiplayer support, such as ineffective searching methods (some games take upwards of 5 minutes to search) and lack of channels. The game also doesn't have that great of a melee community yet, at least not in North America. :P

None.

Aug 6 2010, 8:05 pm MasterJohnny Post #83

Because it is not as good as sc1
http://www.pcworld.com/article/202727/keep_it_in_your_head_blizzard_censoring_starcraft_ii_maps.html
http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/248105900?page=7#136

for me it goes sc1>wc3>sc2

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Aug 6 2010, 8:11 pm by MasterJohnny.

I am a Mathematician

Aug 14 2010, 4:37 pm BeDazed Post #84

Money is overrated. And $60 is nothing. Jesus people.

On another note, if people lowered their expenses $5 in food for every week, I would guess everyone would save money- 2 out of 10 people would stop being overweight, 3 out of 5 people would stop being obese. And in just three months, you'd get a Starcraft II, just by your food savings. In a year, you could get a PC that runs SCII and SCII.

None.

Aug 16 2010, 5:00 am Roy Post #85

An artist's depiction of an Extended Unit Death

Quote from BeDazed
On another note, if people lowered their expenses $5 in food for every week, I would guess everyone would save money...
Awesome. What's cheaper than top ramen? I would be very interested in saving money. I haven't spend a dime on food since early July, when I stocked up with $150's worth (mostly ramen and vitamins).

Anyway, I have SC2 now, because one of my friends bought an extra copy. I owe him $50, but I don't have to pay him right away.

Aug 16 2010, 7:08 am UnholyUrine Post #86

I don't feel like getting SC2 because it feels like the entire blizzard department, especially the PR's, interviewees, and forum managers, have been replaced by Excalibur's

:awesome:

Not to mention the current custom map system, plus there being no chat channels, makes it very hard for me to believe that there'd be any hope for any of my new maps, if I make any, to be popular.
I also love how Nexus Wars, basically desert strike... but a lil diff, tops the charts... there's absolutely NOTHING in that map that cannot be done in SC1 other than unit types.

So sad.. so hard to be positive about this :(

EDIT:
Another good indication of how activision are complete douches..
did you know that they released Call of Duty World at War (the one where they redid world war II) on Veteran's day?
wow.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Aug 16 2010, 7:41 am by UnholyUrine.

None.

Aug 16 2010, 8:38 am Syphon Post #87

Quote from NudeRaider
I got it - the single player part at least - and it can't compete with SC1 on any level. Not even graphics imo. They are just not as recognizable as in SC1.

Not planning on buying it unless Blizzard fixes the terribleterribledamage they did to the multiplayer part.

lol

Quote from FoxWolf1
3. Blizzard treated Mac users, and map-makers in particular, badly for SC1, and show no sign of doing otherwise for SC2. Not only were there long periods of time when new Mac users could not install the game (due to not being able to switch to 256 colors), but after a while, they stopped upgrading SC1 for OS9, while not upgrading StarEdit for OSX. So if you had an old Mac, all of a sudden, a patch came out that made it impossible to play the game (that you paid for, and which was part of your life)...and if you upgraded to a newer computer, StarEdit (and any patched versions thereof, such as StarFire Edit) wouldn't work. The result of all this was that if you were a Mac map maker and didn't have the capability to emulate Windows, or a computer of just the right, intermediate age range, you were basically screwed (okay, there are OS9 emulation solutions that will let you get StarEdit up, but they tend to be fairly slow and unstable, and there's no way to get some of the StarEdit-patch-type editors working this way). Finally, Blizzard has done nothing on SC1 to keep PC users from degrading the Mac playing experience by releasing and popularizing content that will crash Mac users without warning (and I don't just mean EUDs...many protection methods, certain editors, and some completely random, unidentifiable happenings can render maps Mac-incompatible, and the maps are often released that way despite the availability of alternative methods that would keep the maps compatible with absolutely no sacrifice to the PC users). If I thought that Blizzard was going to go back to its old ways of platform equality with SC2, I'd be willing to forgive all of this, but indications from the beta were entirely to the contrary, with the Mac beta lagging behind the PC beta at every stage, including a far earlier release of the editor for PC users. Say whatever you want about profit coming from the company catering to the greatest number...to me, as a consumer, none of that matters. If I'm worried that you're going to let me spend my money and then screw me over down the road, you're not going to get me as a customer.

Get a real computer, you douche.

None.

Aug 29 2010, 8:24 pm Gigins Post #88

Quote from BeDazed
For people who has it, yea. For you, it's just another "mom buy me this piece of shit I don't actually need". For me it's either I pay for the electricity this month or I buy SC2, which I can't play without electricity anyway. You see, in my piece of shit 3rd world banana republic shithole country not having enough money to buy something actually counts as a reason.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Aug 29 2010, 8:35 pm by Gigins.

None.

Aug 29 2010, 8:27 pm Aristocrat Post #89

Quote from Gigins
Quote from BeDazed
For people who has it, yea. For you, it's just another "mom buy me this piece of shit I don't actually need". For me it's either I pay for the electricity this month or I buy SC2, which I can't play without electricity anyway. You see, in my piece of shit 3rd world banana republic shithole country not having enough money to buy something actually counts as a reason.

Do you seriously believe that everyone relies on their parents for money?

For those of us living in the US, one of Blizzard's primary markets, $60 is about how much a minimum-wage worker earns in one day, pre-tax. If you can't afford it, you shouldn't be spending so much time gaming anyways. A part-time job would probably alleviate your financial burdens.

None.

Aug 29 2010, 8:33 pm Gigins Post #90

I'm actually working 6 days a week, default of 8 hours a day. And I'm walking to job by foot(1h) to save money. And I'm not spending any money on gaming since I'm a pirate.

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 « 3 4 5
  Back to forum