Staredit Network > Forums > Null > Topic: The 'Why I didn't get StarCraft 2' Thread
The 'Why I didn't get StarCraft 2' Thread
Aug 2 2010, 10:11 pm
By: lSHaDoW-FoXl
Pages: < 1 « 2 3 4 5 >

Polls
Did you get SC2?
Did you get SC2?
Answer Votes Percentage % Voters
Yes, and it's better then SC1 17

31%
Yes, it's not as good as SC1 6

11%
No, I don't plan on getting it 7

13%
No, but I plan on getting it 14

26%
I don't care I just want to fuck a Zergling! 11

20%
Please login to vote.
Poll has 55 votes. You can vote for at most 1 option(s).

Aug 6 2010, 2:11 pm Centreri Post #61

Relatively ancient and inactive

... I don't know why you think they'd remove the editor. Were I not to trust Microsoft to not install viuses on my computer just for fun, I would complain about Microsoft; but I'm not stupid, so I trust them.

None.

Aug 6 2010, 2:55 pm FoxWolf1 Post #62

Quote from Centreri
... I don't know why you think they'd remove the editor. Were I not to trust Microsoft to not install viuses on my computer just for fun, I would complain about Microsoft; but I'm not stupid, so I trust them.

Because that is, in effect, what they did to Mac SC1: they dropped OS9 support and made the game itself OSX-only, so if you had an old OS9 computer, you couldn't download the latest patch, meaning no playing on battle.net...but then kept StarEdit OS9-only, meaning if you upgraded to a new, all-OSX computer, you had no editor anymore. Only people with computers in just the right age range, with both operating systems, got to have StarEdit and the game. Sure, there are emulation solutions out there, but they are relatively unstable and only suitable for people resourceful enough to get them working, so for most people with OSX who don't also have Windows, they're simply out of luck.

None.

Aug 6 2010, 3:04 pm Centreri Post #63

Apple doesn't make their OS backwards compatible. Sure, it's shiny and maybe more efficient, but not backwards compatible. You can't expect a company to continually update their old programs for every update to every OS. It's not Blizzard's responsibility if an OS with 5% market share decides to drop support.

If Apple releases a brand new full upgrade to the Mac OS within the next several years, while the expansions are in production or have just been produced, they'll probably invest the money into making it work - but after that, the payoff from mac users buying it will be exceeded by the cost of maintaining it. And if you think that most other companies are different in that regard, tough luck. Guess you won't be gaming much.

None.

Aug 6 2010, 3:17 pm FoxWolf1 Post #64

Well, if I can't expect not to get screwed over, why should I buy the software? If I'm going to spend my money on a game, i want to know that it's not going to stop working the day, week, month, or year after I buy it. Saying that I should expect to get screwed over by a product is not a good argument in favor of making the purchase...quite the opposite, in fact.

None.

Aug 6 2010, 3:23 pm Centreri Post #65

I'm saying that if you're planning on keeping an OS with no backwards compatibility, and are planning on upgrading, then yes, you will be screwed, and no, you should not buy it (because four years (until 3rd expansion is out + year) of playing SCII is apparently not enough time to justify spending $60).

I'm also saying that it's not Blizzard's fault/problem that Apple makes it so difficult to maintain the program. You seem to have this "Hey, I'm running a lacking OS, but I want to blame it on Blizzard!" mentality. Windows can run programs from fifteen years ago. :awesome:

None.

Aug 6 2010, 3:34 pm FoxWolf1 Post #66

First off, I don't care whose fault it is. Why the software is expected to fail is irrelevant; either it can be trusted to work, or it can't. And if it can't, then I shouldn't buy it.

Secondly, considering that I wouldn't buy it right away, and that it would take quite a while for me to master GalaxyEdit, four years from now isn't that far away. And it would really suck to learn GalaxyEdit and invest my time in major SC2 projects, only to suddenly lose it all because Blizzard decides that they're only going to release the latest update patches for OS 10.8 (or whatever we're up to by then), or because I had to buy a new computer with OS11 (or whatever) ahead of schedule, only to find that GalaxyEdit only works in OSX.

None.

Aug 6 2010, 3:48 pm BiOAtK Post #67

Yes, you do care whose fault it is. You're not paying one company for another company's faults.

None.

Aug 6 2010, 3:57 pm Gigins Post #68

Ok so I download SC2, beat the campaign, am exited and everything for 2 days, haven't run it afterwards. The question is why I have to pay 60$ for this? :ermm:

None.

Aug 6 2010, 4:01 pm FoxWolf1 Post #69

Quote from BiOAtK
Yes, you do care whose fault it is. You're not paying one company for another company's faults.

That doesn't make any sense at all. Should I buy ink cartridges that don't work in my printer because it's not the ink company's fault that my printer takes a rare cartridge? Should I buy shoes that don't fit because it's not the shoe company's fault that my feet are a weird shape? Buying something that is wrong for your situation doesn't make sense no matter whose fault it is. I don't have any obligation to buy SC2 even if Blizzard does everything right on their side...all that matters to me is what I get for my money, in my situation.

None.

Aug 6 2010, 4:19 pm BiOAtK Post #70

SC2 works on OSX now. Should you not buy shoes because you'll grow out of them?

None.

Aug 6 2010, 4:37 pm FoxWolf1 Post #71

Shoes are a necessity, rather than a frivolity. You buy your kid shoes even when he will grow out of them because otherwise he'll have nothing to protect his feet. You also (hopefully) don't have to invest time learning to use your new shoes, or in practicing to achieve a certain skill level with those particular shoes, or in starting projects to develop new scenarios for your shoes. So the situations really aren't the same.

If you want to convince me to buy SC2, you need to first convince me that my investment-- not only of money, but of my time-- is at least somewhat secure. I realize that total security is impossible-- isn't it always?-- but also keep in mind that I haven't bought a commercial game for myself, with my own money, in, well...ever. That's what my standards for spending money on games are like. So "it's not so bad" isn't going to cut it.

None.

Aug 6 2010, 4:52 pm Aristocrat Post #72

In the time it took you to write up all these posts attempting to prove your irrational point of view in a topic on an internet forum, you could have earned 60 bucks and bought SC2.

None.

Aug 6 2010, 4:57 pm FoxWolf1 Post #73

I don't think these posts take as long to write as you think...

And for the record, I have more than enough money to buy SC2. Heck, if I wanted to, I could buy a whole new computer to run it on, and SC2, without having to touch my savings account. I just don't feel that it would be a particularly good use of the money, or of the time that I would spend on it if I had it.

None.

Aug 6 2010, 5:01 pm BiOAtK Post #74

I'm sorry you think that a great game isn't worth playing because you hate an elitist piece of shit computer.

haters gonna hate.gif

None.

Aug 6 2010, 5:21 pm Aristocrat Post #75

Quote from FoxWolf1
I don't think these posts take as long to write as you think...

And for the record, I have more than enough money to buy SC2. Heck, if I wanted to, I could buy a whole new computer to run it on, and SC2, without having to touch my savings account. I just don't feel that it would be a particularly good use of the money, or of the time that I would spend on it if I had it.

And arguing here is a particularly good use of your time?

None.

Aug 6 2010, 5:25 pm FoxWolf1 Post #76

*shrug* You seem to think so.

Plus, it's multitaskeable, and only takes a few seconds. Certainly not as long as going out and applying for an additional job somewhere.

I don't see why people find my position so hard to understand. If you look at all the people in society, only a relatively small number of them buy video games for themselves. Is it that inconceivable that someone from the other portion might enjoy making Starcraft maps?

None.

Aug 6 2010, 5:32 pm Aristocrat Post #77

http://www.staredit.net/?p=search&mid=3157&filter=posts

If all those posts take only "a few seconds" you must have like 6600 WPM or something.

Whether or not we understand your position does not matter to you. Here, your opinion is worth as much as every other person's, and frankly that isn't much. If we disagree or just don't give a shit about it, there is absolutely no need for you to chase us down and pummel us with assertions and appeals until we accept your point of view.

Grow up.

None.

Aug 6 2010, 5:33 pm Fire_Kame Post #78

wth is starcraft

STARCRAFT SUCKS

BOO

but i luv u guise :3

Aug 6 2010, 5:42 pm FoxWolf1 Post #79

Quote from Aristocrat
http://www.staredit.net/?p=search&mid=3157&filter=posts

If all those posts take only "a few seconds" you must have like 6600 WPM or something.

Whether or not we understand your position does not matter to you. Here, your opinion is worth as much as every other person's, and frankly that isn't much. If we disagree or just don't give a shit about it, there is absolutely no need for you to chase us down and pummel us with assertions and appeals until we accept your point of view.

Grow up.

Excuse me?

I saw a thread that invited people to post their reasons for not buying SC2. I did so, and was attacked for it. If you just want to disagree, fine-- post your own reasons for your decision. You don't need to chase me down and pummel me with assertions and counter-arguments because my position isn't one that you agree with...and you certainly don't do so and expect me not to stand up for myself.

The few seconds number was for each post, by the way...as a moment's reflection should have been sufficient to figure out.

None.

Aug 6 2010, 5:55 pm Liberty-Prime Post #80

1. Computer can't run it.
2. The new Battle.net is just awful.

You guys should stop attacking FoxWolf1. :ermm:

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 « 2 3 4 5 >
  Back to forum