Sep 2 2010, 7:42 pm
By: Dem0n
Pages: < 1 2 3 >

Sep 3 2010, 3:29 am Dem0n Post #21

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

lul I'm 16 in eleventh grade science.

Sep 3 2010, 4:45 am Fire_Kame Post #22

wth is starcraft

SRSLY though, the last science fair project I did was somewhere along the lines of "what color lens picks up the most stars?" We had a BAMF camera, got different colored lenses and took pictures of the sky then counted the stars that showed up. I think that was...middle school. It was fun though.

Sep 3 2010, 6:46 am DT_Battlekruser Post #23

Yeah. Science fairs aren't serious business until your career relies on them :P

None.

Sep 3 2010, 7:05 am DavidJCobb Post #24

Psychology is science, so emulate Rosenham and blow all of your classmates out of the water. Milgram is fine too. If you're pressed for time, go with Asch.

None.

Sep 3 2010, 12:43 pm poison_us Post #25

Back* from the grave

Or find out that Einstein is wrong. That'd win a science fair, at least. If you're right.

Sep 3 2010, 1:29 pm MadZombie Post #26

Find the differences between the sensation of sheep skin and latex :wtfawesome:

None.

Sep 3 2010, 2:55 pm Azrael Post #27

If you like chemical reactions, do something that involves an explosion.

That will get their attention and raise their heart rate, two things that will result in a higher score.

Sep 3 2010, 3:27 pm poison_us Post #28

Back* from the grave

Quote from name:Azrael.Wrath
If you like chemical reactions, do something that involves an explosion.

That will get their attention and raise their heart rate, two things that will result in a higher score.
Quote from name:Nasus
Make a miniature rocket with an acid-base reaction ;o
:awesome:

Sep 3 2010, 4:49 pm Fire_Kame Post #29

wth is starcraft

Quote from DavidJCobb
Psychology is science, so emulate Rosenham and blow all of your classmates out of the water. Milgram is fine too. If you're pressed for time, go with Asch.

Psychology is a "science."

Sep 3 2010, 5:35 pm UnholyUrine Post #30

You ought to test the effects of alcohol on reaction time :sly:

On a srs note..
There're some data gathering types of experiments that's easy to do and have a good chance of getting a good grade. Think of a topic that would be socially/clinically important. Things that would directly affect us, or is politically hot right now.
For example, you can look at water quality between resevoirs.
Or, since I live in BC, look at how logging affects blah blah blah.

A easier target would be psychological studies...
look up Priming, Social Power, and general Cognitive Psychology. These are VERY easy to do.
For example, there was a famous study about social power done ages ago. The experimental design was simple, three people are given 2 cookies. One person was randomly chosen to "give points out to the other two person" during their time together, obviously becoming the "Boss" or the "Leader". Their hypothesis was that the person who has the higher social power will most likely eat the cookies and eat them less conservatively (i.e. crumbs everywhere, talk with mouth full, and other such factors). Of course, they were right. They also found interesting differences between genders.
BOOM, done.
Hard part is to find volunteers. But i'm sure the kids at your school would LOVE cookies.

Remember to have experimental controls for psychological experiments!

None.

Sep 3 2010, 10:18 pm DavidJCobb Post #31

Quote from UnholyUrine
You ought to test the effects of alcohol on reaction time :sly:

On a srs note..
There're some data gathering types of experiments that's easy to do and have a good chance of getting a good grade. Think of a topic that would be socially/clinically important. Things that would directly affect us, or is politically hot right now.
For example, you can look at water quality between resevoirs.
Or, since I live in BC, look at how logging affects blah blah blah.

A easier target would be psychological studies...
look up Priming, Social Power, and general Cognitive Psychology. These are VERY easy to do.
For example, there was a famous study about social power done ages ago. The experimental design was simple, three people are given 2 cookies. One person was randomly chosen to "give points out to the other two person" during their time together, obviously becoming the "Boss" or the "Leader". Their hypothesis was that the person who has the higher social power will most likely eat the cookies and eat them less conservatively (i.e. crumbs everywhere, talk with mouth full, and other such factors). Of course, they were right. They also found interesting differences between genders.
BOOM, done.
Hard part is to find volunteers. But i'm sure the kids at your school would LOVE cookies.

Remember to have experimental controls for psychological experiments!
Milgram's experiment was cooler. :P

None.

Sep 4 2010, 9:56 pm l)ark_ssj9kevin Post #32

Just here for the activity... well not really

pH of different battery brands and their relation to lifespan.

if you're comfortable handling with battery acid ;D

guy lifting weight (animated smiley):

O-IC
OI-C

"Oh, I see it"

Sep 4 2010, 11:17 pm Neki Post #33

Explore the effects of mentos + diet coke. Gives you a reason to constantly keep making cool looking explosions, and you could attempt to explain the science behind it. Otherwise, every time someone comes over, just make a cool explosion. Or make some sort of mentos + diet coke rocket lol.

None.

Sep 5 2010, 9:15 am Generalpie Post #34

Staredit Puckwork

Bring Centreri as your Lab subject and examine his behaviors and anatomy and how it relates to the environment.
OR
Make a rube goldberg machine and label pieces classified under one or more of the 7 simple machines

None.

Sep 5 2010, 2:39 pm Roy Post #35

An artist's depiction of an Extended Unit Death

Don't do anything but say you did; that's how I got through several science fairs.

Once, I had left some rice in the rice cooker and forgotten about it (and it had begun to grow mold), so I put it on a plate and took a picture. A week later, I took another picture. Then I threw away the molding rice and the next time I had rice, I put some on a plate, put it in the fridge, and took a couple pictures of it.

My experiment? How refrigerating a perishable product preserves it.

I also did this BS thing back in elementary comparing the capabilities of the new game consoles at the time (Xbox, Ps2, Gamecube). Since I only actually had a Gamecube, I went to Target and played the demo games for a bit and then wrote up some random statistics.

The point is I passed the damn class, and you can as well.

Edit: Seeing how it's past a couple days from the OP, I'm assuming you already turned in your topic. What did you choose?

Sep 5 2010, 5:13 pm Dem0n Post #36

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

No, I haven't turned it in yet. It's due on Tuesday/Wednesday. I still can't think of anything. :hurr: I was thinking of doing a thing where I test the different effects of different types on oil on plants. I could see how the oils affect the flower, root, and stem growth, but the problem is that it seems like a super easy project. It's like doing the "Which fertilizer works best" project, but using oil instead. :(

Sep 5 2010, 5:20 pm Roy Post #37

An artist's depiction of an Extended Unit Death

Quote from name:Dem0nS1ayer
No, I haven't turned it in yet. It's due on Tuesday/Wednesday. I still can't think of anything. :hurr: I was thinking of doing a thing where I test the different effects of different types on oil on plants. I could see how the oils affect the flower, root, and stem growth, but the problem is that it seems like a super easy project. It's like doing the "Which fertilizer works best" project, but using oil instead. :(
Nine out of five dentists recommend this fertilizer.

Sep 5 2010, 6:53 pm Ultraviolet Post #38

Science Fair projects are jokes. I once did an experiment on the links between StarCraft records and time spent playing daily. I faked all the results and got a 100 :P that was back in 8th grade, but meh. It's not like any of it matters. Do what you're thinking of. It doesn't matter if it's easy.

Sep 6 2010, 2:56 am Dem0n Post #39

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

I think I'm going to compare the growing habits between plants in regular soil vs plants in soil with earthworms. Using some sort of vegetable plant would probably be better, but I'm not sure if a vegetable plant would grow well where I live. :|

Sep 6 2010, 4:59 am rayNimagi Post #40

Do you expect to get any results in the next three days?

Win by luck, lose by skill.

Options
Pages: < 1 2 3 >
  Back to forum