Staredit Network > Forums > Null > Topic: Mafia: Cosa Infernostra
Mafia: Cosa Infernostra
This topic is locked. You can no longer write replies here.
Jul 29 2011, 4:54 am
By: lil-Inferno
Pages: < 1 « 15 16 17 18 1939 >

Aug 6 2011, 10:37 pm Killer2121 Post #321

ITS past 6:00 Lil-Inferno has failed us. GG.

None.

Aug 6 2011, 10:46 pm DevliN Post #322

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

Quote from Killer2121
ITS past 6:00 Lil-Inferno has failed us. GG.
He never specified a time zone. It is only 3:45 where I am.

\:devlin\: Currently Working On: \:devlin\:
My Overwatch addiction.

Aug 6 2011, 10:49 pm Azrael Post #323

Well in fairness, his first deadline was in EST so it should be assumed all other times will be too :P

And he didn't say he would be on at 6 PM, he just said night actions after that wouldn't be valid.

Aug 6 2011, 11:05 pm Roy Post #324

An artist's depiction of an Extended Unit Death

Quote from name:Azrael.Wrath
And he didn't say he would be on at 6 PM, he just said night actions after that wouldn't be valid.
That's a ridiculously important albeit obvious thing to consider, and it pains me when I see people complaining because they expect a night post to be already written a minute after players are allowed to choose what happens in the night post.

Aug 6 2011, 11:28 pm rayNimagi Post #325

Quote from Roy
That's a ridiculously important albeit obvious thing to consider, and it pains me when I see people complaining because they expect a night post to be already written a minute after players are allowed to choose what happens in the night post.
Exactly. When hosting Mafia on Facebook, I usually don't have the day post completely written for an hour or so after the night actions come in. And every time I try to write a post in advance, someone changes something so that I have to rewrite the entire thing.

Win by luck, lose by skill.

Aug 6 2011, 11:38 pm TiKels Post #326

Oh god the suspense.

"If a topic that clearly interest noone needs to be closed to underline the "we don't want this here" message, is up to debate."

-NudeRaider

Aug 6 2011, 11:52 pm Killer2121 Post #327

Tik...toc ..tik..toc ..tic...toc
3 People will have died by the end of this segment.
Hopefully those 3 do not include ME.
Anywho 327+ posts before DAY 2!!!!!!! new record?

None.

Aug 6 2011, 11:56 pm DevliN Post #328

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

Quote from Killer2121
How do you know 3 people will have died...?

\:devlin\: Currently Working On: \:devlin\:
My Overwatch addiction.

Aug 6 2011, 11:59 pm Killer2121 Post #329

Quote from DevliN
Quote from Killer2121
How do you know 3 people will have died...?
Mafia have a killing power of 3? I guess there could be 4 from the mayor (boondock saint) killing someone..

None.

Aug 7 2011, 12:03 am Roy Post #330

We have a doctor and two police officers, I openly admitted to dodging, and you still think every hit will land?

Aug 7 2011, 12:05 am Killer2121 Post #331

Chances are high for them all to hit (44%)

None.

Aug 7 2011, 12:13 am Raitaki Post #332

Quote from Killer2121
Chances are high for them all to hit (44%)
44%? No it's not. Remember that hits and protect actions are used based on strategy and suspicions, not pure chance. Depending on how well townies act, most likely that chance can only be around the 20s%. Not to mention EVERY townie has Dodge. And don't forget mafia killing each other :P

None.

Aug 7 2011, 12:16 am Killer2121 Post #333

:jaff:
oh all townies have dodge?...

None.

Aug 7 2011, 12:16 am TiKels Post #334

I'm not gonna bother checking the math but I'm pretty sure that "high chance" has to encompass more than 50%. In fact I'd say that >50% is only "likely".

"If a topic that clearly interest noone needs to be closed to underline the "we don't want this here" message, is up to debate."

-NudeRaider

Aug 7 2011, 12:25 am Roy Post #335

I'd like to pick apart how you got that percentage.

First, there are 16 possible targets, 3 of which are mafia. We can assume two are not targeting the same person, but if the mafia families aren't working together, there's a chance the two families target the same player.

Second, the mayor has most roles and can distribute evenly to protect one person, and jail/protect two more. If a mafia is jailed, they cannot attack at all. If a mafia's target is jailed, the mafia will fail to kill the target.

Third, all town-aligned roles have a dodge action. I used mine this night, which increases the chance for the mayor to successfully organize to jail a mafia member or a potential target.

You're free to explain how you came up with 44%, but I highly doubt you even considered these things in your formula.

I'm not the greatest at probability, but I believe the numbers would be close to 25% for all mafia hits to land if the families are working together, and 22% if they aren't. (I wouldn't stake anything on this math, though.) This would be ignoring informed decisions and going off of randomly distributed targets.

Aug 7 2011, 1:06 am Tempz Post #336

Well Roy you did think of all the possibilities of the game mechanic but you'd forgot the higher level targets... these are people that are most active during games and thus these people are more likely to be targeted becuase they will be the ones to dissect clues. Of course these high level targets will most likely be jailed or dodge as they know they going to get hit first.

Counting in all the factors of psychology the odds lower to 18%... counting in the killing power of the entire town most likely 1 or 2 players will be dead by the end of the night... however factoring in the occasional gamble of people using random.org for their first hit it could be has high as 3 or 4.

I was going to do clue dissection but the post isn't up yet :[.

None.

Aug 7 2011, 1:26 am Roy Post #337

Quote from Tempz
Well Roy you did think of all the possibilities of the game mechanic but you'd forgot the higher level targets...
Uh, no, I didn't forget this factor. In fact, I explicitly mentioned it:
Quote from Roy
This would be ignoring informed decisions and going off of randomly distributed targets.
I purposefully excluded it because I have no means of drawing calculations from such a thing. I don't have a degree in sociology or psychology, and I'm not sure if any other active member here has one. Not to mention you'd have to know each player on a relatively personal level and know who is on which side for this to have any meaning.

Quote from Tempz
Counting in all the factors of psychology the odds lower to 18%...
How did you calculate this number? I am genuinely interested (unless you just pulled it out of your hat). Is there a way to calculate this without going into specific psychological attributes of each participant and I'm just over-thinking it?

Edit: There's also the fact that not all night actions may be submitted (i.e. afk players). Calculating a percentage seems pointless.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Aug 7 2011, 1:38 am by Roy.

Aug 7 2011, 2:09 am poison_us Post #338

Back* from the grave

So we you argue about it regardless.

Aug 7 2011, 2:24 am rayNimagi Post #339

Wait, roles like policeman and detective can use dodge? I thought that was reserved for regular "villagers".

Win by luck, lose by skill.

Aug 7 2011, 2:32 am Riney Post #340

Thigh high affectionado

Quote from rayNimagi
Wait, roles like policeman and detective can use dodge? I thought that was reserved for regular "villagers".

If you could the list of Town related power roles youd notice that there are NO regular townies.

Riney#6948 on Discord.
Riney on Steam (Steam)
@RineyCat on Twitter

-- Updated as of December 2021 --

Options
Pages: < 1 « 15 16 17 18 1939 >
  Back to forum