Do you want kids?
Do you want kids?
Answer Votes Percentage % Voters
Yes 24

60%
No 16

40%
Please login to vote.
Poll has 40 votes. You can vote for at most 1 option(s).

Jul 23 2011, 11:04 pm Sacrieur Post #41

Still Napping

Whoever said being human was logical? I may adopt a kid because I feel morally compelled to do so. But I don't think I'll be making any of my own.

It's not like I can stop other people from having sex without killing them or having them ingest massive amounts of heavy water for a week. Both of which have other moral implications.

None.

Jul 24 2011, 5:49 am O)FaRTy1billion[MM] Post #42

👻 👾 👽 💪

Quote from Sacrieur
All because you feel like it.
I'd think most kids aren't planned. ;o

Also I wouldn't think having one or two kids would be a problem to the population ... the problem are the people who have like 5 (which not at all uncommon in Utaj).

TinyMap2 - Latest in map compression! ( 7/09/14 - New build! )
EUD Action Enabler - Lightweight EUD/EPD support! (ChaosLauncher/MPQDraft support!)
EUDDB - topic - Help out by adding your EUDs! Or Submit reference files in the References tab!
MapSketch - New image->map generator!
EUDTrig - topic - Quickly and easily convert offsets to EUDs! (extended players supported)
SC2 Map Texture Mask Importer/Exporter - Edit texture placement in an image editor!
\:farty\: This page has been viewed [img]http://farty1billion.dyndns.org/Clicky.php?img.gif[/img] times!

Jul 24 2011, 5:59 am jjf28 Post #43

Cartography Artisan

1798: Thomas Malthus's Essay on Population

TheNitesWhoSay - Clan Aura - github

Reached the top of StarCraft theory crafting 2:12 AM CST, August 2nd, 2014.

Jul 24 2011, 6:04 am Jack Post #44

>be faceless void >mfw I have no face

LOLMALTHUS that ole prophet of doom. My grandad loves him D:

Red classic.

"In short, their absurdities are so extreme that it is painful even to quote them."

Jul 24 2011, 5:44 pm Fire_Kame Post #45

wth is starcraft

Quote from O)FaRTy1billion[MM]
Quote from Sacrieur
All because you feel like it.
I'd think most kids aren't planned. ;o

Also I wouldn't think having one or two kids would be a problem to the population ... the problem are the people who have like 5 (which not at all uncommon in Utaj).

I wish. The amount of unplanned children I know is outstanding. :(

Jul 25 2011, 2:59 am Lanthanide Post #46

Malthus was wrong on the specifics, but not in the broad idea - that eventually humanity's population will reach a level at which it can no longer be sustained and result in a population crash.

Limits to growth in 1972 was trying to predict whether that was going to happen sooner, or later. They predicted sooner. So far they appear to be correct.

None.

Jul 25 2011, 3:07 am Sacrieur Post #47

Still Napping

We need better birth control.

None.

Jul 25 2011, 3:13 am rayNimagi Post #48

We need better willpower.

Win by luck, lose by skill.

Jul 25 2011, 5:40 am Sand Wraith Post #49

she/her

Quote from rayNimagi

Jul 25 2011, 2:14 pm poison_us Post #50

Back* from the grave

But doesn't willpower = birth control? Without willpower, any form of birth control will be ineffective, as the person could simply remove it (save irradiating a womb or sack, but that wouldn't be forced anyways).

Jul 26 2011, 4:23 am Lanthanide Post #51

I assume "better birth control" = a better way for people to not have kids than currently exists, either better methods or the current methods more widely practised.

"better willpower" can easily go beyond simply talking about birth control, eg we need to consume less of the world's resources. It's no good saying "we'll solve the world's problems by reducing the population rate" if the remaining people don't do anything to reduce their consumption, or indeed if they increase their consumption to make up for the loss in population.

None.

Jul 26 2011, 5:07 am Fire_Kame Post #52

wth is starcraft

Quote from Sand Wraith
Quote from rayNimagi
Thirded. xD

Jul 26 2011, 5:20 am Centreri Post #53

Relatively ancient and inactive

Better willpower = less pleasure. Nothx.

None.

Jul 26 2011, 11:34 pm dumbducky Post #54

Quote from Lanthanide
Quote from dumbducky
These are shocking ideas! Why couldn't somebody have pointed this out 70 or 30 years ago so we could prevent this population explosion? It's like a population bomb!
They did:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Limits_to_Growth

Quote from Wikipedia
In 2008 Graham Turner at the Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO) in Australia published a paper called "A Comparison of `The Limits to Growth` with Thirty Years of Reality".[5][6] It examined the past thirty years of reality with the predictions made in 1972 and found that changes in industrial production, food production and pollution are all in line with the book's predictions of economic and societal collapse in the 21st century.
In general, people like to ignore bad news and pretend it isn't real, lest it spoils their fun.
"The battle to feed all humanity is over. In the 1970s, the world will undergo famines—hundreds of millions of people are going to starve to death." - The Population Bomb, by Paul Ehrlich.

Sounds about in line with me. Arguments that conclude we are overpopulated always understates, if it even considers, the effect of the price system and the development of technology.

tits

Jul 26 2011, 11:44 pm Lanthanide Post #55

Quote from dumbducky
Arguments that conclude we are overpopulated always understates, if it even considers, the effect of the price system and the development of technology.
Quote from From my previous post
the predictions made in 1972 and found that changes in industrial production, food production and pollution are all in line with the book's predictions of economic and societal collapse in the 21st century.

None.

Jul 27 2011, 1:03 am dumbducky Post #56

Yet no one is dieing.

I can't really argue with a report I've never read about a book I've never read, and one I doubt you've actually read. But if we're going to just quote wikipedia, then here you go:

[Julian Simon] always found it somewhat peculiar that neither the Science piece nor his public wager with Ehrlich nor anything else that he did, said, or wrote seemed to make much of a dent on the world at large. For some reason he could never comprehend, people were inclined to believe the very worst about anything and everything; they were immune to contrary evidence just as if they'd been medically vaccinated against the force of fact. Furthermore, there seemed to be a bizarre reverse-Cassandra effect operating in the universe: whereas the mythical Cassandra spoke the awful truth and was not believed, these days "experts" spoke awful falsehoods, and they were believed. Repeatedly being wrong actually seemed to be an advantage, conferring some sort of puzzling magic glow upon the speaker.
The most excellent Wired article that the quote comes from: http://www.webcitation.org/5Xu64dbNz

tits

Jul 27 2011, 1:10 am Lanthanide Post #57

Paul Ehrlich has nothing to do with The Limits to Growth, so I don't know why you're bringing this up.

None.

Jul 27 2011, 1:37 am dumbducky Post #58

Bigger picture idea than debating a book I've never read. These kinds of predictions have been made time and time again and they always turn out wrong.

tits

Jul 27 2011, 2:06 am Lanthanide Post #59

Quote from dumbducky
Arguments that conclude we are overpopulated always understates, if it even considers, the effect of the price system and the development of technology.
And yet The Limits to Growth clearly considered pricing systems and new technologies, and so far their predictions are on track.

Quote from dumbducky
Bigger picture idea than debating a book I've never read. These kinds of predictions have been made time and time again and they always turn out wrong.
I'd like to see infinite growth on a finite world and how you plan to achieve it.

The day of reckoning *will* come. The only question is how long it takes.

None.

Jul 27 2011, 3:24 am dumbducky Post #60

I don't question the notion that infinite growth on a finite world will eventually hit a limit. I question the notion that human consumption will grow in a static manner and the notion that we've reached the peak of our reserves.

My first point is that of the development of technology will solve the problems presented. Consider whale oil. In the mid 18th century it was the primary means for lighting. As its consumption grew, the supply of whales decreased at an ever increasing rate. Its exhaustion would represent a decline in the quality of life for many people. Yet it was never exhausted completely. Kerosene was invented and the crisis was averted.

Secondly, reserves do have a finite peak at some point. However, we can not know them, and hence, we can not predict when we will exhaust our resources, only when we will exhaust our current reserves. According to that chart on Wikipedia, which comes from the book itself, predicted that if petroleums reserves were 5 times that of known reserves in '72, the our supply would be exhausted by 2022 (which is NOT in line with reality). I'm willing to bet my fuel costs for 2022 that petroleum won't be gone that year. Also notable is the estimate that gold would be exhausted ten years ago. The book acknowledges that reserves grow over time as new reserves are discovered, but fails to acknowledge that the actual amount of reserves, discovered and undiscovered, is unknown. The article acknowledges this, but fails to acknowledge the implication it poses. That is, it is impossible to determine how long it will take to exhaust a resource because there may exist reserves which are undiscovered.

Thirdly, when a resource becomes scarce, it becomes more expensive. At some point, the price becomes so high that using that resource becomes uneconomical and alternatives are sought and used.

And to tie it all together, an example. Shale oil has only recently become economical. Fracking has only become recently possible because of advances in technology. The cost of retrieving a barrel of shale oil versus traditional approaches is more expensive, but because of the rising cost of oil, it is economically viable. And because we now have shale reserves we can go to, known reserves just tripled.

tits

Options
Pages: < 1 2 3 4 >
  Back to forum