Staredit Network > Forums > Technology & Computers > Topic: Computer for my brother
Computer for my brother
Aug 26 2013, 1:16 am
By: Apos  

Sep 7 2013, 3:31 am rockz Post #21

ᴄʜᴇᴇsᴇ ɪᴛ!

should have said something earlier, but if you're going to buy a rubber dome membrane keyboard, at least get one with some features on it.
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823201048
note the idiotic pipe key placement. I wouldn't get this keyboard for that reason, but it's an example of what to look for in a keyboard. Then again, I have almost unlimited access to as many free keyboards as I could want, so I will never pay for a keyboard again (especially now that I have a realforce).

"Parliamentary inquiry, Mr. Chairman - do we have to call the Gentleman a gentleman if he's not one?"

Sep 8 2013, 3:37 am Apos Post #22

I order you to forgive yourself!

Quote from rockz
should have said something earlier, but if you're going to buy a rubber dome membrane keyboard, at least get one with some features on it.
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823201048
note the idiotic pipe key placement. I wouldn't get this keyboard for that reason, but it's an example of what to look for in a keyboard. Then again, I have almost unlimited access to as many free keyboards as I could want, so I will never pay for a keyboard again (especially now that I have a realforce).
Thanks for the tip! A bit too late though, since I've already placed my order. It'll be fine with the cheaper keyboard. (Personally, I prefer shortcuts to customizable keyboard keys. Along with mouse buttons and gestures.)

The order was placed yesterday, and NCIX accepted the price match right away. The final price is $1,244.25 (shipping + taxes).

Sep 11 2013, 10:52 pm Apos Post #23

All packages arrived today. Is there anything special that I should know before I start assembling everything? (I think I have to ground myself or something?)

Edit: Or I guess I can just use the interweb... http://superuser.com/a/275204

Sep 12 2013, 2:32 am rockz Post #24

ᴄʜᴇᴇsᴇ ɪᴛ!

touch the case every now and again. I've built a computer on the carpet in winter with no issues before.

The wrist straps and anti-static pads are a waste of money unless you're on a production line (where you're more likely to mess up).

"Parliamentary inquiry, Mr. Chairman - do we have to call the Gentleman a gentleman if he's not one?"

Sep 12 2013, 2:43 am O)FaRTy1billion[MM] Post #25

👻 👾 👽 💪

If you're really paranoid about it you can just hold a bare metal part of the case the whole time.

TinyMap2 - Latest in map compression! ( 7/09/14 - New build! )
EUD Action Enabler - Lightweight EUD/EPD support! (ChaosLauncher/MPQDraft support!)
EUDDB - topic - Help out by adding your EUDs! Or Submit reference files in the References tab!
MapSketch - New image->map generator!
EUDTrig - topic - Quickly and easily convert offsets to EUDs! (extended players supported)
SC2 Map Texture Mask Importer/Exporter - Edit texture placement in an image editor!
\:farty\: This page has been viewed [img]http://farty1billion.dyndns.org/Clicky.php?img.gif[/img] times!

Sep 13 2013, 1:30 am Apos Post #26

I took a bit of time today to build the PC. I got a little problem though, the computer boots fine, but only when the graphic card is removed.

I looked it up and apparently some people solved it by updating the Bios. Other places said, it was about changing the primary PCI to PCIe (I assume "Init Display First" would be it?). In my case, there are four options [PCIe slot 1], a [PCIe slot 2] and [PCI] none solved the problem. (There is also a IGFX option should I try it?)

If I install the OS (Windows 8) without the GTX 760, will adding it later make the process more complicated?

On an other note, something in my order allowed me to have an extra 16gb of ram for free which I received along with everything else. I guess that brings the ram to 24gb. :apos:

Sep 13 2013, 1:58 am Roy Post #27

An artist's depiction of an Extended Unit Death

Quote from Apos
I took a bit of time today to build the PC. I got a little problem though, the computer boots fine, but only when the graphic card is removed.

I looked it up and apparently some people solved it by updating the Bios. Other places said, it was about changing the primary PCI to PCIe (I assume "Init Display First" would be it?). In my case, there are four options [PCIe slot 1], a [PCIe slot 2] and [PCI] none solved the problem. (There is also a IGFX option should I try it?)
I don't see why your computer would fail to boot with the GPU in. Is it actually failing to boot, or is the screen just blank? If the former, what is the computer doing/saying, exactly? If the latter, does it matter if your monitor is connected to the card vs the integrated graphics?

It's probably supposed to be your first PCIe slot, by the way, but that depends on where you plug the card into the motherboard.

Quote from Apos
If I install the OS (Windows 8) without the GTX 760, will adding it later make the process more complicated?
No, that shouldn't be a problem. I would take this path to install the BIOS update, and then try connecting your GPU again.

Quote from Apos
On an other note, something in my order allowed me to have an extra 16gb of ram for free which I received along with everything else. I guess that brings the ram to 24gb. :apos:
You should check if you can RMA the 8GB. You may have to pay a restocking fee but it should get you some money back.

Sep 13 2013, 3:30 am Apos Post #28

Quote from Roy
Quote from Apos

I don't see why your computer would fail to boot with the GPU in. Is it actually failing to boot, or is the screen just blank? If the former, what is the computer doing/saying, exactly? If the latter, does it matter if your monitor is connected to the card vs the integrated graphics?
When the GPU is in, nothing shows up on the monitor. Computer turns on, but nothing happens.
Quote from Roy
Quote from Apos
No, that shouldn't be a problem. I would take this path to install the BIOS update, and then try connecting your GPU again.
Windows 8 is now installed, tomorrow, I'll get everything updated. The motherboard came with a CD, and it's supposed to auto update the bios on it's own.

I noticed that I forgot to get a pci-e adapter. I guess I'll have to keep it plugged in for now (Or I think I have a USB adapter laying around somewhere.). I'll probably have to find something in my area. (NCIX ones are more than half the price though :><: )

Sep 13 2013, 11:48 am rockz Post #29

ᴄʜᴇᴇsᴇ ɪᴛ!

what is a pci-e adapter, and what is a usb adapter?

Sep 13 2013, 9:21 pm Apos Post #30

I'm writing this from the computer!
Quote from rockz
what is a pci-e adapter, and what is a usb adapter?
Perhaps I don't have the right term? It's the hardware that allows you to connect to wifi signals. (By opposition to an Ethernet cable.)

Sep 13 2013, 9:36 pm Roy Post #31

That's typically referred to as a wireless card (or wireless adapter). I have this one and it works pretty well. My only complaint is that its drivers are old and as a result it will clutter your event logs with warning messages.

Sep 13 2013, 10:31 pm Apos Post #32

Quote from Roy
That's typically referred to as a wireless card (or wireless adapter). I have this one and it works pretty well. My only complaint is that its drivers are old and as a result it will clutter your event logs with warning messages.
I'm such a retard... I should have known that! Anyway... I found my wireless usb adapter and I get 31mb/s down and 11mb/s up with it.

I updated my bios, and now the computer can boot with the GPU in. I'm installing it's CD as I write this.

Sep 14 2013, 12:40 am Apos Post #33

I just noticed that the hdd isn't listed in Windows 8. It was there as an install choice along with the ssd when I installed the system though. Am I missing some drivers? (I tried looked that up, but couldn't find anything.)

Sep 14 2013, 3:27 am Roy Post #34

It might need to be formatted. Open up "Computer Management" and then select "Disk Management" from the side (under "Storage"). It should be showing up there if it's connected. Here's instructions for Windows 8: http://windows8themes.org/formatting-a-hard-drive-in-windows-8.html

Sep 15 2013, 7:23 pm NudeRaider Post #35

We can't explain the universe, just describe it; and we don't know whether our theories are true, we just know they're not wrong. >Harald Lesch

Quote from Roy
It might need to be formatted.
Actually that's the only step you don't need to do to a new disk to get it to show at 'My Computer'.

What you want to do is initialize and partition the disk. Then you see it at 'My Computer' and could format it there.
Your instructions were still valid, I just wanted to be a smartass about the correct terms. :rolleyes:

Sep 16 2013, 1:51 pm Apos Post #36

Quote from NudeRaider
Quote from Roy
It might need to be formatted.
Actually that's the only step you don't need to do to a new disk to get it to show at 'My Computer'.

What you want to do is initialize and partition the disk. Then you see it at 'My Computer' and could format it there.
Your instructions were still valid, I just wanted to be a smartass about the correct terms. :rolleyes:
My problem solving skills took a punch to the face :><: Problem solved.

Options
  Back to forum