Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 Terrain > Topic: City Terrain
City Terrain
Jun 20 2012, 3:12 pm
By: Raygoza
Pages: < 1 « 2 3 4 5 6 >

Jul 1 2012, 11:05 am Jack Post #61

>be faceless void >mfw I have no face

Quote from Raygoza
I have seen many modded maps with modded properties and such that do affect regular units, could a map mod (modded map) have new tiles or edited tile images at least?
No.

Only limited properties of SCBW maps can be changed, compared to SCII where vast amounts f properties can be changed.

Red classic.

"In short, their absurdities are so extreme that it is painful even to quote them."

Jul 1 2012, 11:17 am Raygoza Post #62

If tiles can't be as modified content in maps, could objects be?
Like having a new kind of crystal, could it be like a content in a map.
Could a map contain things like orange minerals?
And also be able to make harvesters carry more of it?

None.

Jul 1 2012, 11:28 am Jack Post #63

Not without mods, no. And as you said, every map would have them.

Red classic.

"In short, their absurdities are so extreme that it is painful even to quote them."

Jul 1 2012, 1:49 pm lil-Inferno Post #64

Just here for the pie

Does anyone else think that maybe SC BW mapping just isn't for this guy?

Jul 1 2012, 1:55 pm Biophysicist Post #65

You cannot introduce new graphics into StarCraft: Brood War maps. You can introduce new sounds, but cannot overwrite existing sounds and can only play them via trigger. You cannot introduce new portraits, tilesets, tiles, unit types, or resource types. You cannot dynamically change anything that triggers cannot affect.

Now, some of this does change with modding, but that's not really a feasible option, unless you're making a campaign I guess.

None.

Jul 1 2012, 5:11 pm Raygoza Post #66

Wow that makes me very limitated.
Well, I have played a lot of modded maps, even got unit names with different colors in it, different mechanics and stuff but as I can see it, they never broke one of the rules, things were only renamed and working differently in the map, but true, no new units, graphics, tiles or "real changes".
Seems like a map can not even have modded content, even with plugins as long as no mod is involved.
Only small changes to how things work in the map.

Thanks a lot for explaining everything, I think I got a very good point of view over what's possible with modded maps.

This also explains why city Terrain cannot exist without a mod and if it would be a mod a Terrain type would be changed like Badlands, and then there would be no badlands because all badlands content would be changed within the mod.

I have seen a guy making some kind of background for space maps, I guess that must be a part of a mod and not a map too, and also, do anyone know how to do it?
With a mod that is?
I mean how do you make a background for space maps?

None.

Jul 1 2012, 6:22 pm Roy Post #67

An artist's depiction of an Extended Unit Death

Quote from Raygoza
Well, I have played a lot of modded maps, even got unit names with different colors in it, different mechanics and stuff but as I can see it, they never broke one of the rules, things were only renamed and working differently in the map, but true, no new units, graphics, tiles or "real changes".
Those aren't mod maps. Those are plain old Use Map Settings (UMS) custom maps. Projects in here are maps, and projects in here are mods.

This is a UMS map:

This is a mod:

You can't just download and play a mod from Battle.net; you need to download a new executable/files from the internet and launch a modified instance of SC in order to play the mod. Mods don't work for multiplayer* unless everyone has downloaded and is currently running the modified instance of the game. I'm beginning to doubt that you've actually played a true mod before, despite your claims to have played many of them.

Hope that clears something up.

* Unless, of course, it's just a graphical/audio change, in which case, the game will only look/sound different for the players running the mod.

Post has been edited 2 time(s), last time on Jul 1 2012, 6:30 pm by Roy.

Jul 1 2012, 6:25 pm DevliN Post #68

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

Hence why I asked from the beginning if he knew that a SC mod was. :awesome:

\:devlin\: Currently Working On: \:devlin\:
My Overwatch addiction.

Jul 1 2012, 7:09 pm Raygoza Post #69

Do custom maps break those rules that someone earlier told me that they don't?
Running with maps settings, what kind of modified things can exist, could someone tell me?
Also I feel to know that several of the custom maps doesn't got a player race assigned to it, meaning that you still can choose which race to play as.

Now as cutom made maps when you run with map settings, what kind of settings can be made?
Could it work like a mod in this case?
Does it allow edited tiles and even property changes of elevation, buildable, walkable and more?

None.

Jul 1 2012, 9:00 pm staxx Post #70

Quote from Raygoza
Do custom maps break those rules that someone earlier told me that they don't?
Running with maps settings, what kind of modified things can exist, could someone tell me?
Also I feel to know that several of the custom maps doesn't got a player race assigned to it, meaning that you still can choose which race to play as.

Now as cutom made maps when you run with map settings, what kind of settings can be made?
Could it work like a mod in this case?
Does it allow edited tiles and even property changes of elevation, buildable, walkable and more?

This is getting extremely redundant. I suggest you download SCM Draft 2.0 and take a look for yourself of what the restrictions/limitations of map making are under normal gaming conditions.

None.

Jul 1 2012, 9:05 pm Jack Post #71

No, you can't change anything to do with tiles, except for tile placement. You can't mix tilesets.

What you can change:
Unit names
Unit hitpoints, attack, armour, build time, cost
Mineral and gas field amounts
New sounds
Forces (the teams which players are on)
Map size
Player race
Player alliance
Player start location

In addition, using triggers and locations and numerous tricks, you can do some cool systems, such as a spellcasting system which SC doesn't usually support. However, this doesn't affect the native spells which SC gives you, but rather fakes it using some form of player input and then units created and killed for spell effects.

Red classic.

Jul 1 2012, 10:52 pm Roy Post #72

An artist's depiction of an Extended Unit Death

Here's some reading if you want to see what capabilities the map editor has: http://www.staredit.net/starcraft/Category:General_reference
And there are even some tutorials on the wiki as well: http://www.staredit.net/starcraft/Category:Tutorials

As staxx mentioned, though, you should really just get your hands dirty if you want to see how things work.

Jul 2 2012, 1:50 am samsizzle Post #73

Quote from lil-Inferno
Does anyone else think that maybe SC BW mapping just isn't for this guy?
yes, and I'd like to add that he's just suggesting random shit and not trying any of it. It'd be best to move on to something like SC2 mapping, where these ideas could actually work well.

None.

Jul 2 2012, 2:34 am Dem0n Post #74

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

Not to sound discouraging, but if you're having this much trouble trying to understand what a mod is and how it can be applied/downloaded, I really don't think there's any way at all you'd be able to understand how to edit tilesets. That's really advanced modding that requires a super long time to learn, and with your experience (or lack of), you're not going to be able to do it.

Jul 2 2012, 7:41 am Raygoza Post #75

Understandable and I guess I wont be able to edit the tiles, not even the tile images easily right?
I'll go trough the tutorial and the feature list of the program and thanks for all the help guys.

None.

Jul 4 2012, 8:47 pm Raygoza Post #76

I found no information on space background excpt tht it has the parallax scrolling property in which there are several layers of stars, as the camera moves around the layers move in different velocities.
How could you make some kind of StarCraft 2 background to space maps?

None.

Jul 4 2012, 8:52 pm Dem0n Post #77

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

As in, have a planet be in the background? That's definitely not possible.

Jul 4 2012, 9:11 pm Raygoza Post #78

In that case look at this
http://www.moddb.com/mods/starcraft-mod-wea/images/new-space-in-game#imagebox
He hasn't replied to any posts in a very long time nor has he released he's new version of the mod since 2009.
People still try to get in contact with him but no one knows how to because he never replies and he seems to be the only one who knows how to do it.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Jul 4 2012, 9:25 pm by Raygoza.

None.

Jul 4 2012, 9:58 pm Dem0n Post #79

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

Hmm well I didn't know that. :3 I'm guessing the background is some pcx file or something. You could probably edit it with photoshop or paintshop pro and paste a planet on there. I'm guessing that would work, if the background is a pcx file.

Jul 5 2012, 12:54 am Pr0nogo Post #80

He just edited the background of the space tileset.

Options
Pages: < 1 « 2 3 4 5 6 >
  Back to forum