Staredit Network > Forums > Null > Topic: Megaupload shut down by the FBI
Megaupload shut down by the FBI
Jan 19 2012, 8:22 pm
By: Aristocrat
Pages: 1 2 35 >

Jan 19 2012, 8:22 pm Aristocrat Post #1

Game over. Shit like this is already happening even though SOPA hasn't passed yet.

None.

Jan 19 2012, 8:23 pm Fire_Kame Post #2

wth is starcraft

Well that was fast.

Jan 19 2012, 8:24 pm lil-Inferno Post #3

Just here for the pie

No no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no NOOOOOOOOOO.

Jan 19 2012, 8:26 pm Azrael Post #4

I thought this was going to be a birthday thread :(

Jan 19 2012, 8:27 pm Fire_Kame Post #5

wth is starcraft

Quote from name:Azrael.Wrath

IT IS!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY VRAEL!

Jan 19 2012, 8:28 pm TiKels Post #6

Quote from name:Azrael.Wrath
Same.

GG no re internet.

"If a topic that clearly interest noone needs to be closed to underline the "we don't want this here" message, is up to debate."

-NudeRaider

Jan 19 2012, 8:37 pm Aristocrat Post #7

[15:17:49] <Aristocrat> At this rate we're going to lose MediaFire, RapidShare, FileServe, etc.
[15:17:56] <Aristocrat> until every file hosting site is down
[15:18:08] <IceHaven> ?
[15:18:13] <Hiryuu[Android]2> isn't MU outside the States?
[15:18:34] <Aristocrat> "Megaupload is an online Hong Kong–based company established in 2005 that ran a one-click hosting online service of the same name, along with its sister services. The site was shut down by the FBI on January 19, 2012, during an investigation into alleged copyright infringement."
[15:18:49] <Aristocrat> Yeah, outside of the states
[15:19:01] <Hiryuu[Android]2> that's out of bounds
[15:19:16] <@Zeta> ...
[15:19:31] <Hiryuu[Android]2> unless we pressured HK off-camera to shut them down
[15:19:36] <@Zeta> Megaupload shouldn't be affected by SOPA by that.
[15:19:42] <Hiryuu[Android]2> money talks
[15:19:44] <Aristocrat> SOPA didn't even pass yet
[15:19:48] <Aristocrat> how are they able to do this
[15:19:59] <Hiryuu[Android]2> they aren't
[15:20:08] <Hiryuu[Android]2> legally anyways

[15:20:49] <&Kradorex> Why is the FBI involved in what should be a civil matter anyways?
[15:20:55] <&Kradorex> Copyright is civil, not criminal
[15:21:24] <Aristocrat> This better stir up a shitstorm in the mainstream media
[15:21:28] <@Zeta> ...not sure what legal rules apply to international cases...
[15:23:17] <&Kradorex> Taking one of megaupload's IPs...
[15:23:43] <&Kradorex> xeron@omeganine:~$ whois 174.140.154.23|grep -i Country
[15:23:44] <&Kradorex> Country: US
[15:23:54] <Aristocrat> "The indictment was returned in the Eastern District of Virginia, which claimed jurisdiction in part because some of the alleged pirated materials were hosted on leased servers in Ashburn, Virginia."
[15:23:58] <&Kradorex> Apparently they operated their network in the US
[15:24:01] <@Zeta> ...
[15:24:09] <Hiryuu[Android]2> hm
[15:25:22] <Eris> they were able to do it because megauploads founder and owner was on US soil
[15:25:55] <Eris> dont know why the fbi is involved though
[15:29:08] <Eris> ..
[15:29:20] <Eris> lol they got the fbi involved by calling it "racketeering"
[15:29:31] <Eris> the fbi can move against any form of 'organized crime'
[15:29:55] <Eris> god stretching loopholes

None.

Jan 19 2012, 8:46 pm Sacrieur Post #8

Still Napping

They should shut down all car rental companies because some people don't follow all traffic laws.

None.

Jan 19 2012, 9:01 pm lil-Inferno Post #9

Just here for the pie

Quote from Sacrieur
They should shut down all car rental companies because some people don't follow all traffic laws.
They should shut down all restaurants because babies can't chew on some of their food.

Jan 19 2012, 9:01 pm DevliN Post #10

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

The founder of MegaUpload has a badass last name. :awesome:

\:devlin\: Currently Working On: \:devlin\:
My Overwatch addiction.

Jan 19 2012, 9:11 pm Oh_Man Post #11

Find Me On Discord (Brood War UMS Community & Staredit Network)

*phew* Thought you said megashares for a second there.

Jan 19 2012, 9:24 pm Lanthanide Post #12

It's already been going on since 2010 anyway, without SOPA:

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20111208/08225217010/breaking-news-feds-falsely-censor-popular-blog-over-year-deny-all-due-process-hide-all-details.shtml

The Dajaz1 case became particularly interesting to us, after we saw evidence showing that the songs that ICE used in its affidavit as "evidence" of criminal copyright infringement were songs sent by representatives of the copyright holder with the request that the site publicize the works -- in one case, even coming from a VP at a major music label. Even worse, about the only evidence that ICE had that these songs were infringing was the word of the "VP of Anti-Piracy Legal Affairs for the RIAA," Carlos Linares, who was simply not in a position to know if the songs were infringing or authorized. In fact, one of the songs involved an artist not even represented by an RIAA label, and Linares clearly had absolutely no right to speak on behalf of that artist.

The government was required to file for forfeiture by May. The initial (supposed) secret extension was until July. Then it got another one that went until September. And then another one until November... or so the government said. When Bridges asked the government for some proof that it had actually obtained the extensions in question, the government attorney told Bridges that he would just have "trust" him.

It's quite a long article, these are just some particularly pithy little bits. Basically the government took these sites offline for extremely flimsy reasons and after failing to produce any evidence used procedures that seem to be entirely unconstitutional and illegal to avoid having to give the site back for over a year, or even explain anything about what they were doing.

None.

Jan 19 2012, 9:40 pm Jack Post #13

>be faceless void >mfw I have no face

Mr. Dotcom and his associates were arrested in New Zealand, which may or may not make things politically interesting. I mean, residents of NZ arrested by cops at the request of the US FBI for shutting down a company based in Hong Kong (which just happens to have some servers in Virginia) sounds a bit odd to me.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Jan 19 2012, 9:50 pm by Jack.

Red classic.

"In short, their absurdities are so extreme that it is painful even to quote them."

Jan 19 2012, 10:56 pm Sacrieur Post #14

Still Napping

For those that don't frequent slashdot:

http://rt.com/usa/news/anonymous-doj-universal-sopa-235/

None.

Jan 20 2012, 12:46 am ClansAreForGays Post #15

Quote from Jack
Mr. Dotcom and his associates were arrested in New Zealand, which may or may not make things politically interesting. I mean, residents of NZ arrested by cops at the request of the US FBI for shutting down a company based in Hong Kong (which just happens to have some servers in Virginia) sounds a bit odd to me.

I suggest everyone read the link in the description about the crazy story behind that music video. Basically, Universal got it taken down telling youtube it was actually theirs.

Jan 20 2012, 1:22 am RIVE Post #16

Just Here For The Pie

Note to self: clear Mediafire files.
They have already claimed my Megaupload files!

Edit: As well as Imageshack, Google Video and Youtube files just in case...

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Jan 20 2012, 1:29 am by RIVE.

None.

Jan 20 2012, 3:15 am Oh_Man Post #17

Find Me On Discord (Brood War UMS Community & Staredit Network)

LAWL... payback:

http://www.rlslog.net/anonymous-strikes-back-mpaa-riaa-fbi-bmi-and-others-down-after-ddos/

Jan 20 2012, 4:07 am Roy Post #18

An artist's depiction of an Extended Unit Death

DDoS is childish in comparison; it's like throwing a punch after witnessing your friend get blasted from a shotgun.

I wouldn't be surprised if more serious blackhats were inspired to start some digging from these events, though. Leaked documents would concern the government more than their sites being down for a little while.

I also wouldn't be surprised if this was a political move; did you notice the timing for this in respect to SOPA/PIPA? Something along the lines of "Look at all these terrible hackers! Nothing is safe unless we regulate the internet!" would work if there are serious backlashes. </conspiracy>

Jan 20 2012, 5:36 am Fire_Kame Post #19

wth is starcraft

I think its cheap entertainment :lol:

Jan 21 2012, 11:17 pm FatalException Post #20

Quote from Roy
I also wouldn't be surprised if this was a political move; did you notice the timing for this in respect to SOPA/PIPA? Something along the lines of "Look at all these terrible hackers! Nothing is safe unless we regulate the internet!" would work if there are serious backlashes. </conspiracy>
To me it seemed more like it said, "So what if SOPA doesn't pass, we can still shut down anyone we want."

None.

Options
Pages: 1 2 35 >
  Back to forum