Staredit Network > Forums > Lite Discussion > Topic: Flag Burning
Flag Burning
Sep 4 2011, 11:20 pm
By: rayNimagi
Pages: < 1 2 3

Polls
Should it be legal to burn the American flag?
Should it be legal to burn the American flag?
Answer Votes Percentage % Voters
Yes 33

90%
No 4

11%
Please login to vote.
Poll has 37 votes. You can vote for at most 1 option(s).

Sep 13 2011, 10:31 am BeDazed Post #41

I don't really think flag burning should be legalized. One reason why I think so is because we, the people are not without the ability to reason, and to form a coherent speech in order to convince people. Which is what the freedom of speech was first intended for anyway. Considering this, burning a flag is not only symbolic, but also has quite an emotional effect on people. And depending on how a person sees a flag desecrated, it can only get emotional. Inferred from this, flag desecration can be potentially detrimental to the society itself. Which is probably why the congress put up an amendment.

Oh, and memorization can't be that bad. And, they don't teach 1+1 in schools. Most children already know that because by the time they're in grade school, they've already counted their fingers numerous times to understand that 1+1 is 2. Although they aren't taught why 1+1 is 2. Also, memorization can play an enormous role in our reasoning capabilities. It also helps us understand, and can also become a tool to create. While I'm not saying memorizing everything is good, it's not something to look down upon.

Post has been edited 2 time(s), last time on Sep 13 2011, 11:06 am by BeDazed.

None.

Sep 13 2011, 4:52 pm Fire_Kame Post #42

wth is starcraft

Quote from rayNimagi

Hmm, should we just start a topic about capitalism?

Oh god please!!!!

Sep 13 2011, 5:11 pm Voyager7456 Post #43

Responsible for my own happiness? I can't even be responsible for my own breakfast

Quote from BeDazed
Considering this, burning a flag is not only symbolic, but also has quite an emotional effect on people.

That would be the point.

all i am is a contrary canary
but i'm crazy for you
i watched you cradling a tissue box
sneezing and sniffling, you were still a fox

Modding Resources: The Necromodicon [WIP] | Mod Night
My Projects: SCFC | ARAI | Excision [WIP] | SCFC2 [BETA] | Robots vs. Humans | Leviathan Wakes [BETA]

Sep 13 2011, 7:54 pm JaFF Post #44

Quote from Voyager7456
Quote from BeDazed
Considering this, burning a flag is not only symbolic, but also has quite an emotional effect on people.

That would be the point.
That would create strong emotions in certain individuals. But anyone who gets strong emotions of any kind from a flag being burnt is not someone I would like to have in my society.

None.

Sep 13 2011, 8:03 pm Azrael Post #45

Quote from lSHaDoW-FoXl
I find it kind of amusing how the topic is being derailed into an argument about capitalism in general.
Quote from Fire_Kame
Quote from rayNimagi
Hmm, should we just start a topic about capitalism?
Oh god please!!!!

Ask and ye shall receive: http://www.staredit.net/topic/14350/

All further discussion regarding capitalism should be done there.

Sep 14 2011, 1:50 pm BeDazed Post #46

my society
YOU OWNZ IT?

None.

Sep 14 2011, 2:15 pm Raitaki Post #47

Quote from BeDazed
my society
YOU OWNZ IT?
He meant the one he lives in.

None.

Sep 15 2011, 2:50 pm BeDazed Post #48

I know that. You didn't need to point that out. It's how he viewed society when he worded his sentence that matters. You could say, he unconsciously viewed society as something that should match his ideals, and not others. Someone that values Democracy would never word it that way. It should be worded 'our society'. I wouldn't like those kind of people in our society. So selfish and self-righteous and all high and mighty, why not take on the world, no?

Quote from JaFF
That would create strong emotions in certain individuals. But anyone who gets strong emotions of any kind from a flag being burnt is not someone I would like to have in my society.
This in itself is a hypocrisy. Humans are emotional critters. They may seem logical at first, but there's no telling how an individual might get emotional. There are certain sensitive issues to everybody. And emotions can be pent up. Emotions in itself don't have coherence as you would like it to be. You can easily get angry at someone when you're already quite pissed off, but not quite at the 'boiling point'. And the one you might get angry at really might not have anything to do with the one who got you all the way near to the 'boiling point'. Likewise, strong emotions doesn't have to be related by subject in order for it to be displayed. Maybe you thought you were exempt from such and such?

None.

Sep 18 2011, 12:37 pm JaFF Post #49

Quote from BeDazed
I know that. You didn't need to point that out. It's how he viewed society when he worded his sentence that matters. You could say, he unconsciously viewed society as something that should match his ideals, and not others. Someone that values Democracy would never word it that way. It should be worded 'our society'. I wouldn't like those kind of people in our society. So selfish and self-righteous and all high and mighty, why not take on the world, no?
I said "my society" in the context that I come from a society that is very different from the society most members of this website come from. But not that it matters. What's that thing about democracy? Are you implying that I am drastically different from those who value democracy and that it somehow correlates with how tolerant I am?

Quote from BeDazed
Quote from JaFF
This in itself is a hypocrisy. Humans are emotional critters. They may seem logical at first, but there's no telling how an individual might get emotional. There are certain sensitive issues to everybody. And emotions can be pent up. Emotions in itself don't have coherence as you would like it to be. You can easily get angry at someone when you're already quite pissed off, but not quite at the 'boiling point'. And the one you might get angry at really might not have anything to do with the one who got you all the way near to the 'boiling point'. Likewise, strong emotions doesn't have to be related by subject in order for it to be displayed. Maybe you thought you were exempt from such and such?
What you've said is based on the assumption that if someone is already frustrated about something, seeing his country's flag being burnt will cause even more frustration. What I'm saying is that it's not healthy for an individual (and hence the society) to have strong emotional responses about such distant materialistic/symbolic things. So even if someone is frustrated, the burning flag should not add to the level of frustration.

None.

Sep 21 2011, 6:54 am TomWaits Post #50

If protesting a government or country is legal, then why should some symbol of protest be illegal? It makes no sense. Too many people take patriotism to an extreme, and it doesn't serve the country well. Don't get me wrong, America is a great country, but to pretend it's above being criticized is naive. Hypernationalism will only hurt America going forward, imo.

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 2 3
  Back to forum