Staredit Network > Forums > SC2 General Discussion > Topic: Art Contest #1: TEMPLES
Art Contest #1: TEMPLES
Apr 2 2011, 2:49 am
By: Jack
Pages: 1 2 3 >

Apr 2 2011, 2:49 am Jack Post #1

>be faceless void >mfw I have no face

-=- Art Contest #1 -=-

Well, people, as the moderator of the Artwork forum, I figure it's time we had an art contest. And this contest's theme will be temples!

Now, I have two motives for this contest, other than just having a contest: I have some minerals to get rid of, and Temple Siege II needs a temple model. I've got a temple I've made myself:

If no one enters, we'll use that. That'll also give you an idea of what type of thing to model, although of course we don't want 5 clones of that :P
If you don't want your model used in Temple Siege II, that's fine.

Deadline
One Month. That means May the 1st, 2011.

Prize monies
150 minerals to the winner! Plus any other minerals people are willing to put into the pot *hint* *hint*
And, if you allow your model to be used in Temple Siege II, you also get your name in the credits. There's also a possibility of cash if TS2 ends up making any money, from tournaments or other revenue.
For the runner up, there will be a 100 mineral prize, and for the person judged third, there'll be 50 minerals.
However, if three or less people enter, there will only be the single first prize. If more than three enter, the top three will get prizes.

Judging
Currently, myself, Devlin, and Roy will be judging. I'll also be entering, but because I want the best temple for TS2, I'll be pretty fair.
We will judge the model in three categories: Graphics, Textures, and Optimization.

Graphics involves how good it looks as a mesh. A cube simply won't win in this category.

Textures are...well, textures. If you don't have any you get nothing for this, if you include specular, normal, emissive, and diffuse (colour) maps that are top quality you'll score highly.

Optimization is about how low poly it is. In this category, you start with 10 points. If your model is 2000 triangles or fewer, you score 10 points. For every 1000 triangles more than 2000, you lose 1 point. So for a 5000 triangles model, you score 7 points, and anything over 12000 triangles scores 0 points. The trick with this is balancing low triangles with good looks. Remember, this is for StarCraft II. (On that note, if you can't convert your model to .m3, send us the mesh and the materials and we will convert them for you.)

Currently entered:
Jack
Cardinal
Apos
Madzombie
YOU!

Post has been edited 7 time(s), last time on Apr 3 2011, 12:50 am by Jack.

Red classic.

"In short, their absurdities are so extreme that it is painful even to quote them."

Apr 2 2011, 3:06 am DevliN Post #2

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

I'll put minerals into this, as well. Not sure how many, but most likely an extra 500.

\:devlin\: Currently Working On: \:devlin\:
My Overwatch addiction.

Apr 2 2011, 3:11 am NicholasBeige Post #3

Their was a Dominance War contest a while ago and they scored 'optimization' along these lines:

You start with x Points for Optimization. You should lose 1 point for every 500 triangles you use. But this is scaled to whatever it is you're modelling.

So say we give an upper limit of 10,000 triangles for your base mesh. You start with 100 points in optimization, and you'll lose 1 point for every 100 triangles. Anything over 10,001 triangles will be 'excluded' or simply score 0 for optimization. A model with say, 3540 triangles will score: 64.6.

I don't know. I personally like to have a more concrete judging method/criteria for artistic/modelling types of things. It's a bit vague if it's just 3 judges saying 'I like that' or 'I don't like that'. :awesome:

None.

Apr 2 2011, 3:19 am Jack Post #4

Quote from name:Cardinal
Their was a Dominance War contest a while ago and they scored 'optimization' along these lines:

You start with x Points for Optimization. You should lose 1 point for every 500 triangles you use. But this is scaled to whatever it is you're modelling.

So say we give an upper limit of 10,000 triangles for your base mesh. You start with 100 points in optimization, and you'll lose 1 point for every 100 triangles. Anything over 10,001 triangles will be 'excluded' or simply score 0 for optimization. A model with say, 3540 triangles will score: 64.6.

I don't know. I personally like to have a more concrete judging method/criteria for artistic/modelling types of things. It's a bit vague if it's just 3 judges saying 'I like that' or 'I don't like that'. :awesome:
Not a bad idea. How about 0-10 points possible, and you start with 10. 2000 polies or less scores 10, for every 1000 polies over 2000, you lose one point. So for 5000 polies, you score 7 points (assuming my maths is correct :P) If you have 12000 polies or more, you get 0 points. This seems a reasonable amount for a large stationary model that will only have two instances in a game, and won't be on screen most of the game.

Red classic.

"In short, their absurdities are so extreme that it is painful even to quote them."

Apr 2 2011, 3:24 am NicholasBeige Post #5

Yeah, the Dominance War thing was for a low-poly model in a next-gen engine - so optimization while making your model look absolutely bitching was the challenge. Had to be super efficient and pro at texturing. But while I guess this is a SEN contest :awesome: - what you said sounds good. Just replace Polies with Tris.

Are we animating also?

None.

Apr 2 2011, 3:27 am Jack Post #6

Quote from name:Cardinal
Yeah, the Dominance War thing was for a low-poly model in a next-gen engine - so optimization while making your model look absolutely bitching was the challenge. Had to be super efficient and pro at texturing. But while I guess this is a SEN contest :awesome: - what you said sounds good. Just replace Polies with Tris.

Are we animating also?
Any animations you add to the model are up to you. If they're good and add to the model, you'll score points in the Graphics category.

Red classic.

Apr 2 2011, 3:55 am Apos Post #7

I order you to forgive yourself!

Any thing I should know in order to make a good model for starcraft 2? Camera placement? Size (In blender unit)? Space on disk? Do I have to give specific names to my animations? If I use armatures, will it work in starcraft 2 (Probably not the best idea to use for a pyramid...)

Also, will you judge the model in the starcraft 2 engine, or from a screen shot that we supply?

Apr 2 2011, 4:09 am NicholasBeige Post #8

I don't know about Blender. But you'll need to export it in a format that will allow someone with 3DS Max to import it, and then export it once more as a .m3 model file for use in Starcraft 2.

Most probably an .obj export should work fine - since this will contain all the mesh details accurately as well as any UV coordinates. Don't know what else blender puts into an .obj.

Your model should be 'editable mesh' type (again, not sure what blender uses). As for scale or size, it's hard to know for sure. If you can get a Starcraft 2 model into blender (again not sure), you can compare the rough scale. But for the most part the scale is editable through the data editor. And, if we need to, when it comes to exporting it as a .m3 - we can adjust the scale in 3DS Max so that it is better.

Also absolutely any polygons/triangles that are not visible - don't need to be exported in the final object. Keep that in mind if you're going for optimization.

Don't need camera placement or anything, just the raw mesh, unwrapped and textured in .obj format I think. In 3DS Max it is good practice to 'Reset xForm' and align the pivot of the mesh to the center-bottom, since the pivot is used by the engine to determine rotation etc (like doodads for example). I don't know what the blender equivalent of 'Reset xForm' is, but it's basically an advanced modifier with you run on your object to 'simplify' the geometry. It doesn't change the mesh in any way, and is quite hard to explain, come to think about it.

Maybe someone with blender can help you out more. How is the newest version anyways? I hear the controls are unintuitive and the sheer lack of documentation coupled with this backwards interface makes learning it difficult. This is what I hear though. I havn't had time and have been meaning to try Blender out for a while now.

None.

Apr 2 2011, 4:33 am Apos Post #9

Thanks for the fast reply, from a blender point of view, I was able to understand all your explanations.

Not sure how good this add-on is, but it's made for blender.

Regarding your question about how good blender is, I guess I like it a lot (I've never used anything else though.) I've also never really used the 2.4x version so I didn't really need to get adjusted to the newer version. Seeing comments from other blender users, there seems to be a couple people complaining about how they always have to scroll through menus, but that's not an issue for me. I like it better when it's easier to see things (And there is a hotkey for pretty much every thing anyway so I usually just use that anyway.). I'm not sure where you heard about the lack of documentation, but I believe there is already quite a lot considering blender 2.5x is still in it's beta phase.

A lot is showed on this site.

Apr 2 2011, 9:09 am Jack Post #10

We'll be judging it based on how it looks in SCII. Make sure you convert to tris instead of quads at the end, or work with tris from the beginning.

As for xForm, from what I could see on youtube it looks like blender's standard scaling tool? Hard to tell. Anyway, if it's what I think it is it's easy enough to reset.

Blender's latest version is pretty good, although it's hard for me to adjust to its new interface. However, apparently the new UI is closer to the industry standards (max and maya), and it's fairly intuitive. There isn't a whole lot of official documentation of the new version, because they're releasing new betas quite rapidly and not many people seem to be editing the wiki much. However, there's plenty of unofficial documentation.

EDIT I am a genius. Worked out a durbrained simple way to get models into scII without max. More info later when I prove it.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Apr 2 2011, 10:51 am by Jack.

Red classic.

Apr 2 2011, 2:44 pm Apos Post #11

I was just wondering, does it have to be a specific type of temple?
There are quite a lot of possibilities

Apr 2 2011, 7:15 pm Jack Post #12

No, it doesn't have to be a specific kind of temple. It could even be a spacy futuristic temple. Just keep in mind I WOULD like to use it for TSII.

Red classic.

Apr 2 2011, 10:37 pm MadZombie Post #13

there seems to be a couple people complaining about how they always have to scroll through menus
That blew my mind. I thought the big problem with blender was the lack of menus and buttons and stuff? People hated how somethings were hotkey ONLY. Good for speed and pros, hard for noobs starting out. everyday that passes that I don't use blender I forgot my hot keys ;_;

Anyways challenge accepted.

2000 triangles seems a bit low for an important model that a map will only probably have two of. Don't zerglings use like 600 quads? That's like 1400 triangles amirite? Other units use even more then 2k tris I'm pretty sure. Right? Just saying.

anyways I might not end up making anything for this because I'm having computer/internet problems so don't put me down as an official contender yet. Also if we submit something is submission locked from them on? Or can we make newer versions up until the last day of the competition?

edit: also can we get what kind of terrain will be surrounding the temple? It would be weird to make a temple out of sand... er ... sandstone? and have the terrain be installation in space or something.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Apr 2 2011, 10:49 pm by MadZombie.

None.

Apr 2 2011, 11:25 pm Roy Post #14

An artist's depiction of an Extended Unit Death

Quote from MadZombie
Also if we submit something is submission locked from them on? Or can we make newer versions up until the last day of the competition?
Since this has an objective to create a temple model for TS2, I would say that you can submit as many revisions as you want, and only the last revision will be judged. You probably can also have multiple submissions, but only the highest scoring one will be recorded for the competition (i.e. you cannot take first and second place).

But I'm not Jack :P

Apr 2 2011, 11:37 pm poison_us Post #15

Back* from the grave

Would like to judge, but I'm a perfectionist, so I doubt anyone would get more than a 5 on an absolutist scale. I can switch to relativistic grading, though ;)

EDIT2: Like this.

EDIT:
Quote from Jack
Judging
Currently, myself...

Currently entered:
Jack
I call bullshit.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Apr 2 2011, 11:43 pm by poison_us.

Apr 2 2011, 11:48 pm Jack Post #16

20000 is like a bare minimum, if you can get it that low and make it look good you'll score really highly. Multiple revisions are fine, but only the final one will be judged. Multiple entries are also fine, but as Roy said, you can'twin 1st and 2nd; only your highest scoring model can get you a prize and placing.

Poison, I wouldn't mind you being a judge if roy and devlin are happy with it, but I really need someone who has a bit of skill with modeling so people don't win based on looks alone. Actually, I'll ask mesk to judge if he doesn't want to enter still.

Terrain around the temple will be grass, maybe some dirt and bricks.

Red classic.

Apr 3 2011, 12:21 am NicholasBeige Post #17

inb4 "Mesk doesn't do judging" :bleh:

For Temple Siege... are these temples destructible? Like, do they explode? Or are they just doodad/scenery/focus point of the map

Edit: Also, I think it's safe to count myself and Apos in on this. Possibly Mad Zombeh too.

None.

Apr 3 2011, 12:29 am MadZombie Post #18

Can we team up? I suck with some things and can't completely do other things. I'd also like someone to throw ideas around with. If we can, anyone want to collab with me using blender? :C

None.

Apr 3 2011, 12:33 am Jack Post #19

One of the two ways to win is to destroy your opponent's temple. However, you don't need to add an explosion for it; we'll just use one if SCII's explosions or one I find on the internet.

EDIT I'm going to say no to teams. You're welcome to talk to other people and ask for help, but your entry must be yours alone.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Apr 3 2011, 12:48 am by Jack.

Red classic.

Apr 3 2011, 7:30 pm MadZombie Post #20

Fuck the police. I'm too lazy to model something and then texture it. I'd do one or the other. I'm too lazy. If someone wants I can attempt to UV texture their model and if you win you give me some mins ;_;

I think I'm just going to submit a model for myself with no texture. I'm just not in the mood. Maybe if I submit other revisions It will have textures.

edit: This is my "in case I don't submit anything at all due to laziness" back up submission.

Attachments:
Badtemple.3ds
Hits: 7 Size: 27.03kb

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Apr 3 2011, 8:08 pm by MadZombie.

None.

Options
Pages: 1 2 3 >
  Back to forum