Staredit Network > Forums > SC2 General Discussion > Topic: Art Contest #1: TEMPLES
Art Contest #1: TEMPLES
Apr 2 2011, 2:49 am
By: Jack
Pages: < 1 2 3 >

Apr 4 2011, 2:22 am UnholyUrine Post #21

I shall donate 200 minerals

None.

Apr 13 2011, 12:06 am Tempz Post #22

Someone should make some Indiana inspired temple <3

None.

Apr 13 2011, 12:14 am payne Post #23

:payne:

Anyone's working on something for this contest?

None.

Apr 13 2011, 1:36 am Apos Post #24

I order you to forgive yourself!

Quote from payne
Anyone's working on something for this contest?
I got my temple ready, but I just didn't submit it yet...

Apr 13 2011, 3:53 am payne Post #25

:payne:

I'm giving 200 minerals to this contest. :awesome:
Let's hope Jack doesn't keep 'em for himself. ;)

None.

Apr 13 2011, 2:20 pm MadZombie Post #26

I demand second place position

None.

Apr 29 2011, 12:17 pm Jack Post #27

>be faceless void >mfw I have no face

Awrighty guys, May the First is 2 days away in the States, by my reckoning. I could be wrong ;o but make sure you submit something, even if it's incomplete.

IM GOING TO WIN LOTS OF FREE MINERALS :D BEST GET RICH QUICK SCHEME EVAR
no but srsly. Please enter or I will take the minerals, and if anyone complains then I'll tell them it serves them right for not entering something better.

Red classic.

"In short, their absurdities are so extreme that it is painful even to quote them."

Apr 29 2011, 12:23 pm MadZombie Post #28

I'm mad that Jack can enter and that he is also a judge. I Protest. This whole thing is a scam. Yep.

None.

Apr 29 2011, 12:27 pm Jack Post #29

Quote from MadZombie
I'm mad that Jack can enter and that he is also a judge. I Protest. This whole thing is a scam. Yep.
If you like I'll find someone else good at models who's also unbiased to judge.

Red classic.

"In short, their absurdities are so extreme that it is painful even to quote them."

Apr 30 2011, 3:43 am Jack Post #30

http://www.mediafire.com/?uy1fxssvdcvtytc
My entry in OBJ format. Not sure if the material went with it or not. If cardinal or iskatu or someone could export it to .m3 using 3ds max and take a screenshot in SCII, it'd be great.

And yeah, it's really meh. I threw most of it together in the last couple of days, didn't have time to make it as awesome as I'd have liked due to events outside my control.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Apr 30 2011, 4:45 am by Jack.

Red classic.

Apr 30 2011, 11:04 pm Apos Post #31

Whatever... may as well post it now than never.

Download the blend file

Here is a simple explanation: It's a temple with a floating ball in the middle. At first, the ball was supposed to be an animated thunder ball. Then, I decided not to make it animated since I wasn't sure how well animations could be exported to Starcraft 2.

Other than that, it's a very simple mesh with a very simple material. I don't think I played with the lighting setup.

Edit: Colors can easily be adjusted if needed.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on May 1 2011, 1:45 am by Apos.

May 1 2011, 3:28 am MadZombie Post #32

http://www.mediafire.com/?9evek31ws1gd68o

Get off my back. Blend file. Deal with it. Texture for lulz not for serious.

DEAL WITH IT JACK

None.

May 1 2011, 3:41 am IskatuMesk Post #33

Lord of the Locker Room

Stand forth and ye shalt be judged. By thy mirth of soul or thy steel, ye shalt be judged most mercilessly, without hesitation.

If ye hend me app-specific files, e.g. blender-only formats, thee is instantly disqualified for the simple reason I cannot do anything with those files. If ye are of the lesser folk ye shalt hand me the format of true men. FBX is preferable, but OBJ would work (hopefully).

Best for ye to save them as quads, for quads be the best to work with aye.

I shalt judge ye based on what I know I can create using warcraft 3's terrain. The basis for this is 5/10. No more, no less, for so great and amazing a terrain it was, but so simple and easy to craft. With his father's forge ye shalt best this ancient toy or be smitten.

I offer thee no guarantees I shalt attempt to export thy files as I am a most busy man. Pull up yer skirt and get a real program if you want access to gaming formats.

I see only one file available for me to judge currently, and that is Jack's. HE SEEMS CONFIDENT ENOUGH, LET US TEST HIS METTLE IN THE FIRES OF VALHALLA!

http://www.gameproc.com/meskstuff/GMesk_JUDGERY_Jack-muxed.mkv

result -

Disqualified until I can get a file I can actually open! :awesome: :awesome: :awesome:

/edit 2

Oh wait I seem to have Blender lying around! PLOT TWIST!

The judginator comes for you all!

/edit 3

Alright, I opened your files in this abomination someone had the gall to call a modeling program. I don't know how any of you guys deal with the ui but it's terrible. Just terrible.

For reference - in my judging book a 10/10 is something entirely custom skinned and animated at a very high level of quality. 5/10 is considered my baseline.

MZ -> Your model looks like it took about a minute to make? The filename is badtemple and obviously that is the way you felt about it. That's how I feel about it. 2/10. I know you can do better, but you didn't put any effort into it amigo.

Apos -> I liked the idea you presented with the base of the structure. It feels ancient protossy to me. Unfortunately you didn't really expand upon that idea. It reminds me a bit of a tesla coil or generator structure from Supreme Commander or another super low-poly RTS. I am unsure of the implications of having so many (what I assume to be since I can't actually fucking tell in this program) ngons everywhere, but AFAIK that could probably be converted just fine. There are edges forming on the upper rims because of the triangulation. What I assume to be triangulation, anyway, since I seriously cannot get blender to display polycounts or anything properly. You might want to smooth those out.

I don't know who thought that 12k polies is too high for a goddamned temple but they were wrong. I don't know what exactly these temples would be used for, I assume something akin to the world tree in DotA, but I want to see your model at a much higher level of detail. Consider bevelling the edges and such and working from there. 4/10

/edit 4

It took me some work to get Jack's model to import into blender BUT I DID LOL

Jack - Immediately upon opening your temple I was struck by the unusualness of having those steps angled with the rest not angled. This seems a little weird and unusual to me. The temple rather massively reminds me of those troll temples out of WoW, and upon switching to wireframe, I am sideswiped by a flabbergasting amount of wtf from these poles of yours.

If I were a betting man I would bet that the heads of those poles contain 70% of the scene's polies, with the other 30% going into the shafts themselves. Also, there are needless subdivisions on your little table thing. As I turn your model over I am met with another unusual sight.

Well, I'll leave you to explain to me what exactly that... ramp-like deal is all about.

Without any degree of sophistication I feel torn between this and Apos for current contenders at 4/10. Moar detail!

Post has been edited 5 time(s), last time on May 1 2011, 4:38 am by IskatuMesk.

Show them your butt, and when you do, slap it so it creates a sound akin to a chorus of screaming spider monkeys flogging a chime with cacti. Only then can you find your destiny at the tip of the shaft.

May 1 2011, 5:03 am Apos Post #34

I should have made some sort of dome temple:

Edit: @IskatuMesk: You are probably right about the poly count... I've clearly did my best to make it as low as possible and it reduces the quality by a lot.
Also, I didn't really understand the video, but it was very entertaining!

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on May 1 2011, 5:15 am by Apos.

May 1 2011, 6:18 am Jack Post #35

I think I said May the First, which is tomorrow in the states I think so if you want to redo anything you have a day. As for that random thing on the bottom of the model I'd say it's an exporter fail.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on May 1 2011, 10:51 pm by Jack.

Red classic.

May 1 2011, 11:19 pm Jack Post #36

New version http://www.mediafire.com/?07jb47ja36t1y72 (3ds no material)
http://www.mediafire.com/?zwhy8808de3e181 (blend material and everything).

Red classic.

May 2 2011, 12:13 am MadZombie Post #37

It's been May the 1st for the part 20 hours. Can you guys crown me the winner already.

None.

May 2 2011, 2:57 am IskatuMesk Post #38

Lord of the Locker Room

fyi blender/3ds max materials mean nothing when it comes to sc2. Only the textures and uvs themselves.

Show them your butt, and when you do, slap it so it creates a sound akin to a chorus of screaming spider monkeys flogging a chime with cacti. Only then can you find your destiny at the tip of the shaft.

May 2 2011, 3:02 am Jack Post #39

Quote from IskatuMesk
fyi blender/3ds max materials mean nothing when it comes to sc2. Only the textures and uvs themselves.
Yeah I didn't use procedural textures, I used a UV map. Which admittedly was just a Brick texture and the UV ubwrap script instead of proper unwrapping and texturing, but it looks ok. I might add an emissive texture too, I think I have an hour before the deadline.

http://www.mediafire.com/?7k9x249e4as937a
Diffuse texture, also normal map texture. If whoever is importing that into a map could make a copy and rename it to temple_final_normal.dds it should theoretically work. Iskatu might take a while to convert to m3 so I suggest @devlin that you find someone else to convert the models, maybe jb4times4 (LooKe) or cardinal or even corbo will. BTW Iskatu is the judge for the 3d part of things, e.g. how many faces the models have, how optimized they are etc.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on May 2 2011, 4:14 am by Jack.

Red classic.

May 3 2011, 10:14 am MadZombie Post #40

My minerals please

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 2 3 >
  Back to forum