Staredit Network > Forums > Null > Topic: Do You Smoke Tobacco Products?
Do You Smoke Tobacco Products?
Oct 22 2011, 5:19 am
By: Fire_Kame
Pages: < 1 2 3 46 >

Polls
Do you smoke?
Do you smoke?
Answer Votes Percentage % Voters
Yes 3

7%
No 42

94%
Please login to vote.
Poll has 45 votes. You can vote for at most 1 option(s).

Oct 22 2011, 4:34 pm Fire_Kame Post #21

wth is starcraft

Quote from Lanthanide
What if you chew tobacco? More attractive, or less?
I dated a guy that chewed tobacco. It was pretty damn gross.

Oct 22 2011, 4:42 pm poison_us Post #22

Back* from the grave

Quote from Oh_Man
Quote from Aristocrat
Quote from Oh_Man
People who started smoking ages ago, or people way older then me, I don't immediately make the stupidity correlation because they started when the facts about smoking were not clear.

You are voluntarily inhaling smoke. From burning something.

I'm fairly sure you need a single-digit IQ to make that decision.
What is this I don't even
Organic complexes* produce several hundreds of compounds from seemingly impossibrury low numbers. Tobacco combustion produces upwards of 5,000 compunds, which are mostly inhaled or dispersed into the atmosphere. What Aristocrat doesn't say is what anyone without a "single-digit IQ" would easily be able to see how smoke is bad. There's a reason that even wood smoke, when inhaled, makes any normal human being begin to cough, produce excess tears (watery eyes), and in general not have a pleasant time in the smoke.

EDIT:
*Organic complexes = once-living organisms, in this case the tobacco leaves.

Oct 22 2011, 5:48 pm Sacrieur Post #23

Still Napping

Because nicotine is an addictive and leads to detrimental behavior. It's not fair that babies should be exposed to it, or that young children and even older ones are constantly around their smoking parents. This more often than not leads to an individual that smokes.

If we want to be consistent with any notion of freedom this country has; shouldn't smoking be left up to the individual, not up addictive chemicals?

None.

Oct 22 2011, 5:55 pm poison_us Post #24

Back* from the grave

It would be more logical then to have both nicotine containing and nicotine-free cigarettes (more choice, amirite?). But since the latter would never sell, there's no point. Besides, nicotine, IIRC, is a chemical part of tobacco, and would take lots of processing for no profit.

Oct 22 2011, 6:39 pm BiOAtK Post #25

I occasionally smoke cigars.

None.

Oct 22 2011, 8:08 pm Vrael Post #26

Quote from Sacrieur
Because nicotine is an addictive and leads to detrimental behavior. It's not fair that babies should be exposed to it, or that young children and even older ones are constantly around their smoking parents. This more often than not leads to an individual that smokes.

If we want to be consistent with any notion of freedom this country has; shouldn't smoking be left up to the individual, not up addictive chemicals?
Exactly my point, by immunizing children at birth you're making the decision for them, not leaving them freedom.

None.

Oct 22 2011, 8:26 pm Sacrieur Post #27

Still Napping

Quote from Vrael
Quote from Sacrieur

Exactly my point, by immunizing children at birth you're making the decision for them, not leaving them freedom.

Can't tell if just trolling or serious ;_;

None.

Oct 22 2011, 8:40 pm Apos Post #28

I order you to forgive yourself!

Quote from Sacrieur
Quote from Vrael
Quote from Sacrieur

Doesn't look like trolling to me, it's taking away their free will.

In France, everyone smokes, it would be impossible to try to hold my breath.

Oct 22 2011, 8:49 pm Sacrieur Post #29

Still Napping

Quote from Apos
Quote from Sacrieur
Quote from Vrael
Quote from Sacrieur

Doesn't addictive substances take away "free will"?

None.

Oct 22 2011, 8:54 pm Aristocrat Post #30

Quote from Vrael
Quote from Sacrieur

Dispersing toxic chemicals into the atmosphere for other people to breathe in is not something that falls under "freedom of choice". It is 100% ethical to take away people's ability to smoke in this fashion.

None.

Oct 22 2011, 9:19 pm Sand Wraith Post #31

she/her

Sac can't see what's right under his nose.

EDIT:

Quote from Sacrieur
I am going to take the hard position on this and say we should immunize all children to nicotine from birth.

Quote from Sacrieur
Quote from Apos
Quote from Sacrieur
Quote from Vrael
Quote from Sacrieur

Doesn't addictive substances take away "free will"?

It's okay, we're only human.

Oct 22 2011, 9:24 pm poison_us Post #32

Back* from the grave

You're being too abstract still.
Quote from Sacrieur
I am going to take the hard position on this and say we should immunize all children to nicotine from birth.

Quote from Sacrieur
Don't addictive substances take away "free will"?
Also, fix't.

Oct 22 2011, 9:35 pm Sacrieur Post #33

Still Napping

I'm being to abstract?

None.

Oct 22 2011, 10:14 pm BiOAtK Post #34

Oh, boo-hoo. Toxic chemicals are in the air. What a surprise. Because after all, all the tobacco in the world wouldn't produce even close to the amount of toxic waste as, say, a single volcano eruption. Let people do whatever they damn well please, as long as it doesn't directly hurt anyone else. And it doesn't hurt others, because the amount of toxins released is negligible compared to other things. Even cars. That's like saying people shouldn't be allowed to drive cars because it releases CO2.

None.

Oct 22 2011, 10:21 pm Sacrieur Post #35

Still Napping

Quote from BiOAtK
Oh, boo-hoo. Toxic chemicals are in the air. What a surprise. Because after all, all the tobacco in the world wouldn't produce even close to the amount of toxic waste as, say, a single volcano eruption. Let people do whatever they damn well please, as long as it doesn't directly hurt anyone else. And it doesn't hurt others, because the amount of toxins released is negligible compared to other things. Even cars. That's like saying people shouldn't be allowed to drive cars because it releases CO2.

http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/two-wrongs-make-a-right.html

Yay let's all commit logical fallacies!

None.

Oct 22 2011, 10:25 pm Vrael Post #36

Quote from Aristocrat
Quote from Vrael
Quote from Sacrieur

Dispersing toxic chemicals into the atmosphere for other people to breathe in is not something that falls under "freedom of choice". It is 100% ethical to take away people's ability to smoke in this fashion.
Only insofar as the smoke is deemed to be an infringement. For example, smoking in my own home doesn't reasonably pollute your air, but smoking in a public place might. I say reasonably, because if we really start to be ridiculous about this, then it would eventually lead us down the road that we can't produce any garbage or pollution whatsoever because it takes up other people's space. This issue is completely separate from immunizing children to nicotine at birth, and does not serve as a reasonable justification to deny people the right to smoke.

Back to sacrieur, a law requiring children to be immunized against any substance, nicotine or otherwise, is an infringement of the rights of the people and would require an amendment to the constitution. Simply because you believe smoking is bad is not sufficient justification to take away a right of the people. Furthermore, the government does not have the power to require this of us, as its power is limited to only those provisions provided to it by the constitution.

None.

Oct 22 2011, 10:31 pm BiOAtK Post #37

Quote from Sacrieur
Quote from BiOAtK

http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/two-wrongs-make-a-right.html

Yay let's all commit logical fallacies!
Quote from Vrael
Back to sacrieur, a law requiring children to be immunized against any substance, nicotine or otherwise, is an infringement of the rights of the people and would require an amendment to the constitution. Simply because you believe smoking is bad is not sufficient justification to take away a right of the people. Furthermore, the government does not have the power to require this of us, as its power is limited to only those provisions provided to it by the constitution.

Also, actually attack my argument. Going "LOL!!!!11oneo!1e YOU HAVE LOGICAL FALLACY XYZ" instead of actually debating what I mean is just fucking stupid.

None.

Oct 22 2011, 10:38 pm Sacrieur Post #38

Still Napping

Their civil rights, which isn't to be confused with person rights.

My position has never been to stop the sale of cigarettes or get people to stop smoking; it has been to improve the human immunity to dangerous toxins. Under the assumption that free will is a person right, immunization would be the ethical thing to do. It removes any sort of external drug influence on an individual's decision to smoke or not.

None.

Oct 22 2011, 10:43 pm Sand Wraith Post #39

she/her

Quote from BiOAtK

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passive_smoking
http://www.lung.ca/protect-protegez/tobacco-tabagisme/second-secondaire/index_e.php
Didn't even know about third-hand smoke
http://www.cancer.org/Cancer/CancerCauses/TobaccoCancer/secondhand-smoke

http://www.google.ca/search?q=second+hand+smoke&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a
http://www.google.ca/search?q=second+hand+smoke&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

Quote from Sacrieur

Their civil rights, which isn't to be confused with person rights.

My position has never been to stop the sale of cigarettes or get people to stop smoking; it has been to improve the human immunity to dangerous toxins. Under the assumption that free will is a person right, immunization would be the ethical thing to do. It removes any sort of external drug influence on an individual's decision to smoke or not.

You're ignoring the problem of making people immune without their consent.

Oct 22 2011, 11:24 pm Sacrieur Post #40

Still Napping

You're ignoring the problem of making people immune without their consent.

Personal liberty is being assumed the highest virtue. Immunization is in violation of this virtue. Non-immunization is also in violation of this virtue.

Therefore personal liberty cannot be a person right within the context of free will. The only inescapable conclusion is that free will does not exist because it cannot exist; determinism holds true.

---

Seems this issue kinda went a smidgen deeper than I was expecting. I'll have to go ahead an abandon my position that we should ethically immunize everyone. Instead I will take the position that we should immunize everyone as a matter of practicality.

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 2 3 46 >
  Back to forum