Staredit Network > Forums > Null > Topic: Do You Smoke Tobacco Products?
Do You Smoke Tobacco Products?
Oct 22 2011, 5:19 am
By: Fire_Kame
Pages: < 1 « 4 5 6

Polls
Do you smoke?
Do you smoke?
Answer Votes Percentage % Voters
Yes 3

7%
No 42

94%
Please login to vote.
Poll has 45 votes. You can vote for at most 1 option(s).

Oct 27 2011, 11:01 pm Lanthanide Post #101

Quote from poison_us
Quote from Lanthanide
Quote from name:Cardinal
Also, if you ban smoking; the economy will pretty much collapse more than it already has. Fact.
You mean because all of this money people have been wasting on a completely unproductive (in fact, detrimental) pastime will now evaporate into the ether and not be spent on anything else more worthwhile?
No, he's basing it off of the smoking industry being a large portion of our economy, as it's the only legal industry in which the end result is an addictive substance.
Um, that's my point. If the tobacco industry, one which doesn't actually make anything productive, ceased to exist, the money that was spent on tobacco products would be spent on other products. The money that was spent on creating cigarette factories would be spent on other factories. The fertile land used to grow tobacco would be used to grow actual food.

Quote from Cardinal
A packet of cigarettes in the UK costs around £7.20+. About 90% of that is tax.
Does this tax fully make up for increased health costs spent on smokers? I'd say that it probably does, and there would be money left over, making this a revenue generator for the government.

So if they remove tax from tobacco products, they can put tax on something else. What's the problem?

Even if the amount of tax take is reduced under a different tax scheme, we would actually be getting more useful products and services in the economy (just about anything is more useful than cigarettes) so quality of life in general would be raised.

Also you two may smoke because you enjoy it, but there are many millions of people who wish they could quit easily and would do so in a heart-beat if there was a painless way to do so.

None.

Oct 28 2011, 12:06 am Vrael Post #102

Quote from name:Dem0nS1ayer
Quote from TomWaits
Anyway, I smoke. Non-smokers, get off your high horse. What isn't linked to cancer or poor health now a days? Should we ban any sort of cellular transmissions? Should we ban tanning? Fast food? Sitting down for long periods of time while working? Cars? Airplanes? Power plants? People hide behind second hand smoke, but I don't buy it. It's not that big a deal to avoid them, is it? Shit, if it is, perhaps stricter enforcement of smoking in designated areas. But banning them? Then why not ban everything that's adding toxins to the air? You never signed up for them, they're infringing on your right to breathe clean air! Right?
None of things those except for vehicle emissions can potentially hurt others. Things like tanning and eating fast food are up to each individual; others don't get hurt if someone does it.
I'm gonna fucking lock you in a tanning booth for 72 hours and chain smoke chinese cigarettes which have more tar in them than tabacco.
You're not getting my point. I know tanning increases your chance of getting cancer, but it only increases the chances of the person getting the tan. When you smoke, you endanger everyone around you.
Thats complete bullshit. Inhaling cigarette smoke once in a while won't give you lung cancer; smoking two packs a day every day will. The only possible realistic danger smoking could have to another person is maybe some sort of allergic reaction, or maybe to a person with asthma.

The only legitimate argument against smoking is that it smells bad to the people nearby who don't want to be bothered with someone smoking. And thats fine as far as I'm concerned, make smokers smoke at home or somewhere we dont have to deal with it. I just wish we could have laws requiring weird people on the bus to not stand halfway up my ass too.

None.

Oct 28 2011, 12:09 am NicholasBeige Post #103

Quote from Vrael
Quote from TomWaits
Anyway, I smoke. Non-smokers, get off your high horse. What isn't linked to cancer or poor health now a days? Should we ban any sort of cellular transmissions? Should we ban tanning? Fast food? Sitting down for long periods of time while working? Cars? Airplanes? Power plants? People hide behind second hand smoke, but I don't buy it. It's not that big a deal to avoid them, is it? Shit, if it is, perhaps stricter enforcement of smoking in designated areas. But banning them? Then why not ban everything that's adding toxins to the air? You never signed up for them, they're infringing on your right to breathe clean air! Right?
None of things those except for vehicle emissions can potentially hurt others. Things like tanning and eating fast food are up to each individual; others don't get hurt if someone does it.
I'm gonna fucking lock you in a tanning booth for 72 hours and chain smoke chinese cigarettes which have more tar in them than tabacco.
You're not getting my point. I know tanning increases your chance of getting cancer, but it only increases the chances of the person getting the tan. When you smoke, you endanger everyone around you.
Thats complete bullshit. Inhaling cigarette smoke once in a while won't give you lung cancer; smoking two packs a day every day will. The only possible realistic danger smoking could have to another person is maybe some sort of allergic reaction, or maybe to a person with asthma.
But... But... But Vrael, these carebears don't like the smell, and it makes litter! HEAVENS FORBID.

None.

Oct 28 2011, 12:11 am Vrael Post #104

Speaking of litter, PICK UP YOUR FREAKIN CIGARETTE BUTTS ASSHOLE. Seriously though, I've had to clean that shit up at my old job and cigarette butts getting into the cracks of hardtop surfaces is the most annoying god damn thing on this planet. That issue alone is almost enough for me to take anti-smokers seriously.

None.

Oct 28 2011, 12:12 am NicholasBeige Post #105

The two people who have spoken out against smokings' detrimental litter effect had direct involvement in cleaning and tidying up the offending cigarette butts.

Get a better job so you can smoke cigarettes and flick them wherever the god damn hell you please. Free as a bird.

None.

Oct 28 2011, 12:19 am Vrael Post #106

The two people who have spoken out against smokings' detrimental litter effect had direct involvement in cleaning and tidying up the offending cigarette butts.
Thats because it sucks.

Get a better job so you can smoke cigarettes and flick them wherever the god damn hell you please. Free as a bird.
No, because I'm not an asshole. Also littering IS illegal, regardless of whether its cigarette butts or diamond rings. More importantly, it makes you an asshole if you do it. SO DONT.

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 « 4 5 6
  Back to forum