Staredit Network > Forums > Lite Discussion > Topic: Game Piracy
Game Piracy
This topic is locked. You can no longer write replies here.
Jun 18 2011, 9:05 pm
By: Jack
Pages: < 1 « 8 9 10 11 1215 >

Jun 25 2011, 1:31 am Azrael Post #181

Piracy is theft. I do it all the time. It's pretty awesome.

Why is it okay? I don't think doing something means that I think it's okay. Clearly there's something immoral happening; you're using a product which requires you to pay the company that made the product first, yet you never paid anything for it.

Why do I do it anyways?

• It gives me something I want.
  • It saves me money.
  • There are no direct consequences for me.

A very similar scenario is the looting that occurs during a riot. As soon as enough people start stealing things, normally honest people say "Hey, if there are so many people doing this, then I can also steal whatever I want and I won't be singled out for punishment." Then everyone joins in.

Just because you enjoy doing something and can make up a few really questionable justifications doesn't make it any better. If you pirate, you're stealing, and you should at least be able to admit that.

Jun 25 2011, 1:48 am Jack Post #182

>be faceless void >mfw I have no face

Quote from Roy
Quote from Jack
Quote from Roy
If I hack a digital copy of a game so I don't have to buy it, am I stealing? The answer to all of this is yes. Now change me hacking to having someone else hack it and give me the finished result. We are both guilty of stealing.
If someone buys a game, and then edits it, and makes a copy and gives it to someone else for free, they are not stealing; nor is the person receiving the game.
That is actually an interesting prospect. There is no real analogy to making a copy of something to compare to digital objects. If we ever have the technology to duplicate furniture, the furniture stores would be out of business, and the only way to keep them alive is to make laws against the duplication of that material.

However, the editing is classified as illegal unless the company provides an OGL.

Software theft: unauthorized duplication and/or use of computer software. This usually means unauthorized copying, either by individuals for use by themselves or their friends or by companies who then sell the illegal copies to users. Many kinds of software protection have been invented to try to reduce software theft but, with sufficient effort, it is always possible to bypass or "crack" the protection, and software protection is often annoying for legitimate users.
Because copying software is easy, some think that it is less wrong than, say, stealing it from a shop. In fact, both deprive software producers of income.

I realized where this discussion went wrong, though; we are no longer directly discussing piracy, but rather the legitimacy of Intellectual property.
Yeah, IP is the real issue. Piracy is just one part of IP.

Whatever, I still won't pirate as long as it's illegal, and if it was legal I'd still probably buy games to support the devs.

Red classic.

"In short, their absurdities are so extreme that it is painful even to quote them."

Jun 25 2011, 6:22 am Riney Post #183

Thigh high affectionado

I 'pirate' not because I feel like it, I do it for very good non selfish reasons.

- I live on Food Stamps and Financial Aid for college.
- I cannot find employment no matter how hard I search (Bad fucking area I tell ya)
- I feel that my lack of being able to purchase the game for a corporate price, but not viewing the product because I am unable to, is a wrongdoing to the hard work of others who designed their game, who got paid, but are unable to infact view their art. Yes I will refer to a video game as art as long as it has a good fucking story line. Else its rubbish and no matter how 'good' you make it look, its just sugar coated shit.
- AT&T Graced me with unlimited bandwidth, imma use it.

Riney#6948 on Discord.
Riney on Steam (Steam)
@RineyCat on Twitter

-- Updated as of December 2021 --

Jun 25 2011, 7:43 am Roy Post #184

An artist's depiction of an Extended Unit Death

Quote from Riney
- I live on Food Stamps and Financial Aid for college.
Selfish. "I want this but I can't afford it, so I'm going to take it for free illegally."
Quote from Riney
- I cannot find employment no matter how hard I search (Bad fucking area I tell ya)
Selfish. Same as above.
Quote from Riney
- I feel that my lack of being able to purchase the game for a corporate price, but not viewing the product because I am unable to, is a wrongdoing to the hard work of others who designed their game, who got paid, but are unable to infact view their art. Yes I will refer to a video game as art as long as it has a good fucking story line. Else its rubbish and no matter how 'good' you make it look, its just sugar coated shit.
I agree that video games can be viewed as art. The primary reason they make this art is so the game sells, and stealing the game is going against that reason. There are also many other ways to view their art, such as watching sample videos (or if they released a demo, you can play that).
Quote from Riney
- AT&T Graced me with unlimited bandwidth, imma use it.
Selfish. "I have unlimited bandwidth, so I'm going to use as much of it as I can, irregardless of how it affects my ISP."

Those weren't very good non-selfish reasons.

Jun 25 2011, 3:45 pm TiKels Post #185

I think he was trying to be funny

"If a topic that clearly interest noone needs to be closed to underline the "we don't want this here" message, is up to debate."

-NudeRaider

Jun 25 2011, 5:21 pm Roy Post #186

Well, in that case, it doesn't belong in LD. He wasn't making any relevant point that hasn't been said already.

Jun 25 2011, 7:10 pm Dem0n Post #187

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

Quote from Jack
I know several people here pirate games (UU, MZ, iskatu, nude, rockz (IIRC)). How do you justify this theft to yourselves?
I think we've already established that this isn't justifiable. Lock please? Any justification that anyone tries to make is going to be ripped apart by the holy angels of SEN.

Jun 25 2011, 8:57 pm Excalibur Post #188

The sword and the faith

No one has established anything because I still haven't seen a solid agreement on what piracy is (stealing, not stealing, ect.).

SEN Global Moderator and Resident Zealot
-------------------------
The sword and the faith.

:ex:
Sector 12
My stream, live PC building and tech discussion.

Jun 25 2011, 11:05 pm Roy Post #189

Quote from Excalibur
No one has established anything because I still haven't seen a solid agreement on what piracy is (stealing, not stealing, ect.).
Quote from Roy
Are you acquiring something? Yes, a game.
Did you get permission to take it? No, the company did not give me permission to take it.
You are stealing.

Jun 25 2011, 11:43 pm Jack Post #190

Quote from Roy
Quote from Excalibur
Quote from Roy
Did you get permission to take it? No, the company did not give me permission to take it.
You are stealing.
The game is bought by pirate A. The game company gives permission for him to buy this. He then sends a copy to pirate B. Pirate A gives his permission to pirate B to have that duplicate, so pirate B does have permission. Add in a torrent and you have acquiring of games, with permission, which is then not stealing.

Red classic.

"In short, their absurdities are so extreme that it is painful even to quote them."

Jun 25 2011, 11:52 pm DevliN Post #191

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

Quote from Jack
Quote from Roy
Quote from Excalibur
Quote from Roy
You are stealing.
The game is bought by pirate A. The game company gives permission for him to buy this. He then sends a copy to pirate B. Pirate A gives his permission to pirate B to have that duplicate, so pirate B does have permission. Add in a torrent and you have acquiring of games, with permission, which is then not stealing.
Pirate A can't give the permission to use a duplicate to Pirate B, therefore it is stealing. On top of that, Pirate B would not have permission to spread the duplicate as well, therefore it is also stealing.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Jun 25 2011, 11:58 pm by DevliN.

\:devlin\: Currently Working On: \:devlin\:
My Overwatch addiction.

Jun 26 2011, 12:51 am Jack Post #192

Quote from DevliN
Quote from Jack
Quote from Roy
Quote from Excalibur
Quote from Roy
You are stealing.
Pirate A can't give the permission to use a duplicate to Pirate B, therefore it is stealing. On top of that, Pirate B would not have permission to spread the duplicate as well, therefore it is also stealing.
He doesn't have permission from the company, but he doesn't need it. Microsoft can't stop you from giving your xbox to a friend; while the analogy isn't 100%, it holds in that when you buy a console you own it and can break it, hack it, or give it away, same as with games.

Red classic.

Jun 26 2011, 12:58 am DevliN Post #193

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

Actually he does need the permission. Giving an Xbox to a friend is letting the friend borrow it or giving it as a gift. If someone made a duplicate Xbox, that would be the issue.

Post has been edited 2 time(s), last time on Jun 26 2011, 1:07 am by DevliN.

\:devlin\: Currently Working On: \:devlin\:
My Overwatch addiction.

Jun 26 2011, 2:11 am Jack Post #194

Quote from DevliN
Actually he does need the permission. Giving an Xbox to a friend is letting the friend borrow it or giving it as a gift. If someone made a duplicate Xbox, that would be the issue.
I'm questioning whether it SHOULD be an issue, making a duplicate xbox. Or duplicate game or duplicate anything. Currently it's illegal; SHOULD it be illegal?

Red classic.

Jun 26 2011, 2:13 am Apos Post #195

I order you to forgive yourself!

If I bought Microsoft Office, wouldn't I be allowed to give my licence to someone else?

Jun 26 2011, 2:16 am The_UrChai Post #196

Well as a gift or something. But duplicating it? that's illegal. Duplicating the product legally e.g. a factory requires the permission of the company.

None.

Jun 26 2011, 3:36 am jjf28 Post #197

Cartography Artisan

Duplicating for personal use, I support, as you shouldn't have to buy a separate copy to use (in my case) videos at a cabin without worrying about brining them back and fourth... or buy another liscence to use the same program on a different computer (tho it's different if separate people will mainly be using the duplicated copy)

This could be construed as removing potential profit (but again, who would really buy the copy if they couldn't get it for free?) so it forms another gray area :(

TheNitesWhoSay - Clan Aura - github

Reached the top of StarCraft theory crafting 2:12 AM CST, August 2nd, 2014.

Jun 26 2011, 3:37 am Jack Post #198

This could be construed as removing potential profit,
Although when you think about it, potential profit is a load of garbage.

Red classic.

Jun 26 2011, 3:41 am jjf28 Post #199

Cartography Artisan

somewhat related, loveable video regardless :D

Post has been edited 2 time(s), last time on Jun 26 2011, 4:12 am by jjf28. Reason: last sentance pulled away from pirating

TheNitesWhoSay - Clan Aura - github

Reached the top of StarCraft theory crafting 2:12 AM CST, August 2nd, 2014.

Jun 26 2011, 4:54 am Roy Post #200

Quote from name:shadow649
Duplicating the product legally e.g. a factory requires the permission of the company.
Does it? So third party controllers require the consent of the company before constructing the controller? If I created my own controller using spare hardware I had, would it be illegal to use it / sell it?

I'm genuinely asking, because I don't know the specific legalities of your claim.

Options
Pages: < 1 « 8 9 10 11 1215 >
  Back to forum