Staredit Network > Forums > Technology & Computers > Topic: How To Break My Computer
How To Break My Computer
This topic is locked. You can no longer write replies here.
Aug 6 2010, 1:22 am
By: Dem0n
Pages: < 1 2 3 4 >

Aug 6 2010, 9:45 pm Centreri Post #21

Relatively ancient and inactive

Quite a sense of entitlement. Why does he or anyone else deserve what they have/want?

Children in families don't always know of the family's financial status. If your dad won't fork over $500 for a good computer despite all your attempts, I wouldn't expect him to once you have no computer, whether it be because he feels you don't need it (you don't) or because your family may not be as rich as you seem to think it is. If you bought a new house within the last fifty years or car the last twenty, you may be paying off a mortgage/loan. If your family has several children, that may be a big drain. The list goes on and on. It's not worth, as Nude said, to essentially make your family the enemy here just because you want to play a new game. Get a damn job if you need it badly.

And even if it works - guess what? People had fun without computers. And after the initial days of SCII, it'll become just another timesink like any other game. I like Foxwolf's suggestion - there are a TON of games out there that will give you the same timesink-satisfaction that SCII will. I used to play Worms and Heroes of Might and Magic Three, and still enjoy them from time to time.

None.

Aug 6 2010, 9:49 pm MadZombie Post #22

Delete System 32? Break or hide the disc that contains the Os and such so you can't fix it even if you wanted to.

"Hey dad. In light of the recent events I've come up with a list of computer parts for you to order to build a PC which will cost as much or less then the price of what you payed for when this computer was around. Also in todays world things like the computer breaking doesn't happen anymore. I suspect the reason it did happen was because the computer we had was created when their wasn't safety laws regarding computers. I'm surprised we haven't been killed by an electrical fire or a terrorist attack"

And then show him this

None.

Aug 6 2010, 9:56 pm Centreri Post #23

Relatively ancient and inactive

If you actually go through with it, I hope your parents dish out the justice. PUBLIC SPANKING ANYONE?!

None.

Aug 6 2010, 10:23 pm Dem0n Post #24

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

Lol, my dad isn't that stupid Mad. And that whole speech about my parents' financial status is complete bullshit. My dad goes and spends money on 70" tvs and surround systems for himself, but never for anyone else. And I don't just want a computer for games. This kind is a piece of shit. I can't even do schoolwork without it constantly freezing. And, even if I did look for different games besides Starcraft, it's not like I have the room to download them. I've got like 2 gbs of free space, and if the free space gets too low, then my computer starts freezing even more than usual.

Aug 6 2010, 10:29 pm Devourer Post #25

Hello

Take a sponge. Put water in it. Open your tower. Turn it 90°. Hold sponge above the opening. Wring out sponge. Run PC. Hide for the case of an explosion. Go to your parents and say that your water cooling just fucked up.

Actually, no.

Please report errors in the Staredit.Network forum.

Aug 7 2010, 12:25 am Tempz Post #26

WTH DEMON YOUR INDIAN >:O? Hey well I'm part Korean so hey....

Any who you shouldn't break your comp but if you really wanted too, Change the voltage output but i bet it has already been stated

None.

Aug 7 2010, 2:12 am NudeRaider Post #27

We can't explain the universe, just describe it; and we don't know whether our theories are true, we just know they're not wrong. >Harald Lesch

Quote from name:Dem0nS1ayer
Lol, my dad isn't that stupid Mad. And that whole speech about my parents' financial status is complete bullshit. My dad goes and spends money on 70" tvs and surround systems for himself, but never for anyone else. And I don't just want a computer for games. This kind is a piece of shit. I can't even do schoolwork without it constantly freezing. And, even if I did look for different games besides Starcraft, it's not like I have the room to download them. I've got like 2 gbs of free space, and if the free space gets too low, then my computer starts freezing even more than usual.
An old computer freezing is not because of it being old, but because it not having been maintained properly. Format c: is the best fix here probably.
Also HDDs are cheap and compatible even with the oldest computers so that isn't an excuse either. Not like there is an excuse for what you're planning, anyway...

Quote from MadZombie
And then show him this
If I was your father and you'd show me that, I'd just remove your Internet for "fear of your well-being". Of course I would still continue to take that risk myself. ;)
Next time you're planning to screw me over you'd think twice about it, I'm sure.

Aug 7 2010, 10:23 pm Roy Post #28

An artist's depiction of an Extended Unit Death

I've got like 2 gbs of free space, and if the free space gets too low, then my computer starts freezing even more than usual.
It sounds like you've presented the solution to your own problem. If it freezes more frequently, it would likely catch the attention of your parents. Furthermore, this wouldn't be you deliberately destroying the computer.

If your dad just uses the computer to check things online, then your goal would be preventing the internet from functioning properly. Have the browser connect to an arbitrary proxy that causes lag. Obviously, slow internet connection would mostly be due to the ISP, but if your ISP hasn't changed, what else is there to blame?

Don't purposefully destroy the hardware. There's not even a guarantee that you'll get a new computer if the old one breaks. Or, worse, you end up getting blamed for it and you cannot use the new computer except under supervision or something of the sort. You could definitely use a new hard drive, and you'd probably get one if you just talk to your parents directly. Mention that you found that the computer runs slow when the hard drive is close to full, and that a new one is fairly inexpensive. Maybe you could even offer to make a deal for a new computer, like doing chores that you normally do not do, for a certain period of time.

Yes, a new computer would be nice. No, destroying your old one isn't the best solution.

Aug 11 2010, 7:06 pm Atlos Post #29

For the sake of schoolwork, I say fry it. Really, your productivity greatly increases when you have a nice computer and a big screen. I work in retail and since you brought this up (not trying to be racist), I know what you mean when you say your family is rich, but stingy.

None.

Aug 12 2010, 12:31 am DavidJCobb Post #30

That's why I said that it was terrible. But seriously, it's necessary. I'm running XP on a 37 gb HD, 1.2 gb RAM, 2.4 ghz processor, and a video card with 64 mbs memory with no shader support. I can't run anything new. :-(
I'M RUNNING XP ON A ~20GB HD WITH 512MB RAM ON A DUAL-CORE WITH A GEFORCE 4 MX GRAPHICS CARD, ASSHOLE. YOU'RE LUCKY! >:O

Seriously, though. But if you really wanna nuke a good computer, here's my advice.

Edit the registry to add startup programs that serve no other purpose than to tie up RAM. I can craft a near-invisible HTA that just runs a for loop endlessly or builds a string endlessly, if you wish. This oughta deplete more and more RAM after startup until the HTA itself fails. For a compounding effect, add more startup entries as time goes by.

Disregard the Startup folder, it's too obvious. Use the registry or MSCONFIG.

Quote from NudeRaider
This is a line one should never cross for whatever reason. [...] Come to your senses man, it's your family.
HAHAHA, OH WOW, as if the concept of family ever deserved to be sacred. Sure, most families are good, but technically speaking, a family is little more than a Communistic totalitarian dictatorship with an emphasis on maintaining authority via logical fallacy, all supported by the world's most effective propaganda. :3 You need a li'l' more disillusionment, man.

None.

Aug 12 2010, 1:16 am NudeRaider Post #31

We can't explain the universe, just describe it; and we don't know whether our theories are true, we just know they're not wrong. >Harald Lesch

Quote from DavidJCobb
Quote from NudeRaider
This is a line one should never cross for whatever reason. [...] Come to your senses man, it's your family.
HAHAHA, OH WOW, as if the concept of family ever deserved to be sacred. Sure, most families are good, but technically speaking, a family is little more than a Communistic totalitarian dictatorship with an emphasis on maintaining authority via logical fallacy, all supported by the world's most effective propaganda. :3 You need a li'l' more disillusionment, man.
No offense man, but your attitude disgusts me.

Your family will always be your family. Even if you have trouble with your parents when you're a teenager (honestly, who doesn't) this will pass by.
And this is coming from someone who was beaten by his step father for watching TV in "his" living room when he got up at 4am to prepare for work.
And later I got kicked out of the household by my mother so she can live a more peaceful life with the violent drinking man mentioned in the previous sentence.
This would be a reason to hate your parents (mother). And tbh I haven't entirely forgiven her for that, but regardless she's still my mother and she'll be for the rest of my life. Grow up dudes. Seriously.

Aug 12 2010, 1:21 am DavidJCobb Post #32

Quote from NudeRaider
Quote from DavidJCobb
Quote from NudeRaider
No offense man, but your attitude disgusts me.

Your family will always be your family. Even if you have trouble with your parents when you're a teenager (honestly, who doesn't) this will pass by.
And this is coming from someone who was beaten by his step father for watching TV in "his" living room when he got up at 4am to prepare for work.
And later I got kicked out of the household by my mother so she can live a more peaceful life with the violent drinking man mentioned in the previous sentence.
This would be a reason to hate your parents (mother). And tbh I haven't entirely forgiven her for that, but regardless she's still my mother and she'll be for the rest of my life. Grow up dudes. Seriously.
Your loyalty to those who blatantly make themselves your enemies through sadism and heartlessness, respectively, disgusts me. But in any case, we've gone off-topic.

Hay OP, if you wanna try my idea, I can post code for the RAM-hogging HTA. It's fairly simple; just pop it into notepad and save as an HTA file.

EDIT@Nude: Clarification. You're essentially implying that family ties are infallible and should always be honored, even while giving a perfect example to the contrary. Though parents aren't usually worthy of the term "evil" (or, at least, "morally reprehensible"), they can be, and your blanket statement stating that one should always show them unquestioning loyalty is... well, I find it offensive. I'll admit, my parent isn't all that bad, but I personally know people who've gone through hell because of their parents were sadistic fuckers, so... But again -- this is neither the time nor place, so now I'll drop it.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Aug 12 2010, 1:33 am by DavidJCobb.

None.

Aug 12 2010, 1:41 am EzTerix Post #33

Just throw the computer in the garbage. If it's truly trash then it should fit.

None.

Aug 12 2010, 1:44 am NudeRaider Post #34

My point is that I too had my trouble with my parents but we've sorted it out eventually and that I'm glad now that I didn't declare my mother "the enemy" back then.
Also, I'm sure she would tell the story a lot different, just as I think demon's dad would.

Aug 12 2010, 3:42 am Tempz Post #35

If your bored and you really wanted to create your own custom virus...

By creating a shortcut file and inputting a certain command that says error and then shuts down saying you should get a new comp... quite easy to do... put it with a icon that you know your dad will use...

Make sure to make the "...." to something like "Computer is low on virtual memory please get a new computer."

None.

Aug 12 2010, 3:54 am DavidJCobb Post #36

"Computer is low on virtual memory please get a new computer."
Too obvious. Just say "Out of virtual memory." and force a shutdown. If your dad knows how to use the Google machine, he oughta quickly "learn" that he's out of RAM.

If you want to fake a virus, though, there are few easier methods than a batch file containing nothing but the code %0|%0 . Hehehehehe...

Srsly, though, just ask and I'll provide you with an invisible RAM-wasting HTA. I'm too lazy to do it unprompted, though. :P

None.

Aug 12 2010, 3:58 am LoTu)S Post #37

Or you could surf really malicious sites until your computer is infested.

None.

Aug 12 2010, 4:06 am Dem0n Post #38

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

Viruses are lame. We'll just reboot every time.

Aug 12 2010, 4:09 am Sand Wraith Post #39

she/her

IMO, best way without actually having to break valuable hardware (which can at the very least be recycled for the raw materials) and getting a new computer while maintaining good family relationships (which I assume you want, especially if your family is rich) is to pile up a list of every single issue that even remotely has anything to do with the computer and then preach the list to your parents endlessly for a few days/weeks, with particular emphasis on why getting a new computer is also good for them.

E.g. if you use the computer a lot, then you could say that upon the purchase of a new computer, your father/rest of family will be able to freely use the old computer anytime they wish, and you can pledge to clean out/format the computer to get rid of your own data, therefore retaining the old computer and acquiring a new one. This reason for getting a new machine is super effective when dealing with larger families or families that heavily rely on the computer.

Since your family is rich and you appear to have shown a weakness in your father's character, you can appeal to both; all you need is good, valid reasoning; a sprinkle of positive, persistent, pestering preaching; and some faith in trust. IMO, faith in trust and the family is super effective when dealing with Oriental/Eastern families (first-hand experience :rolleyes: ).

Appeal to the family's wealth and stinginess: argue that for the benefits of the computer, it's very cost-efficient. Turn it into a "learning experience" by pledging that you'll find your own computer and that all your parents need to do is fork over cash at the register. Alternative is to pledge that you'll find the parts and build the computer and that you want to learn how to build computers (and I'm sure you'll enjoy doing so, the insides of the machine are fascinating).

Key points:
-Cost-effective.
-Learning experience.
-All your parents have to do is verify the computer and provide financial support (no effort required on their part).

Appeal to your father's (apparent) selfishness: getting a new computer will effectively remove you from the old machine, leaving your other family the machine. Based on what each individual family member's needs are, preach to them.
E.g. your father does not require a new computer to enjoy his games and use e-mail services. By buying you a new computer, he will have the machine all to himself, and neither of you will have to pester the other to use a computer ever again (also apply for larger families, but if you have younger siblings, you DEFINITELY need to provide breathing space for "ownership" of the different computers, if you believe in such a thing; it'll be unnecessary Hell otherwise).
Furthermore, you should promise and actually clean out your old computer.

Key points:
-Appeal to others' needs, not your own.
-Your family can freely use two computers at any time they require (effective when dealing with both large and small families).
-Provide maintenance for the old computer in exchange for a new machine. If you're doing this, make sure your parents know WHY you are doing this and that you're doing it at all. Obligation is powerful.

Appeal to others' wishes for yourself: I'm sure your parents want you to be a success. Make them aware that you need this new computer for (SCHOOL)WORK. Sincerely do some homework, and then when the computer starts doing anything at all to impede your progress, SCREAM like your machine is possessed and is actively trying to destroy your work or something. Proceed to add this issue to the list of extra reasons why your family needs a new computer.
Remember, turn this issue into something that when solved, will provide everybody with benefits.

Key points:
-The old computer is impeding progress of work.
-Your family needs the new computer; not just you. E.g. in case your parents ever want to use new software or such.

Last step: preaching with persistence. Every single chance you get, make everyone in your household aware that the family as a whole needs a new computer. THE COMPUTER ATE UP MY HOMEWORK; I WON'T BE ABLE TO GRADUATE, GET A GOOD JOB AND A GIRLFRIEND, AND EXTEND THE FAMILY LINE (alternatively: I WON'T BE ABLE TO GET RICH AND HELP MY PARENTS LATER IN LIFE (((I.E. WHEN THEY GET OLD)))).

Ideas for things to preach about:
-OH MY GOD THE INTERNET JUST DIED
-OH MY GOD I WANT A NEW COMPUTER
-OH MY GOD WHY ARE YOU ON THE COMPUTER WHEN I NEED IT FOR WORK
-OH MY GOD I WAS ALMOST FINISHED MY WORK WHEN THE COMPUTER DIED
-OH MY GOD wow hey, this new computer here that I found on [big-box store]'s website is so much better for [a shitload of tiny reasons]
-OH MY GOD hey, I'll fix up the current computer if we get a new one, so I won't need to bother you anymore for a new one

Using this method of persistence and turning every factor into :wtfawesome: benefits, you'll get a new computer in some time, but you'll keep a whole lot of shit that you definitely don't want to throw away.
Also, you'll be doing good for the environment since you won't have to break the computer (add this to your list of things to preach about, or something similar about the environment).

PROTIPS:
-Practise patience. Good things will come as long as you keep at this.
-Practise moderation. Don't become a nuisance with your preaching; take the opportunity when it presents itself, don't go overboard.
-Don't move the centre of benefits to solely yourself; keep it with the family or your dad (better yet, both parties).
-Preach the good, belittle the bad.

If you play your cards right, you will doubtless achieve your goal without unnecessary loss.

FINAL PROTIP:
Follow the wisdom of the Eldar. The future has already been determined; all that needs to be done now is to choose and follow the path that leads to the future you desire.
Pick the future you want with the rest of the universe in perspective, and move your pieces to their respective positions to get the result that you want. Ez.

If you follow my advice and it fails, sorry -- I guess you don't have my foresight. :(

if you've made it this far without averting your eyes from the wall of text, I applaud you; this really may be the way to go for you ;o

P.S.

IMO, all of the other ideas presented thus far are, to be frank, bad when put into perspective. Risky (frying hardware, your father's not stupid), dangerous (frying hardware, you might get disowned (joke)), wasteful (frying hardware, throwing away a perfectly fine machine), harmful (frying hardware, environmental reasons), pointless (doing nothing when the situation has so much potential for benefit), etc.
If you follow my plan, especially with a grain of salt, and your own judgement, I'm pretty sure you'll get what you want (or better, if you provide ample pressure to actually push your own parents into WANTING to buy a new machine) with little to no loss whatsoever.

Seriously, I could preach more and more about my plan until I'm dead. If you want any further help, I can probably provide it. Of course, this plan only works based on many assumptions I had to make about your life, so it might not be entirely reliable ;o (which is why I stress that you need your own judgement, unless you don't mind providing me with further details so that I can flesh out your scenario; e-mail, PM, IM, are all means of communication with me).

Depending on various factors, the amount of time that you'll have to invest will vary significantly. In the wise words of TVTropes, "YOUR MILEAGE MAY VARY."

Aug 12 2010, 4:13 am DavidJCobb Post #40

Again: if you want to make the computer look like it's failing, ASK ME TO MAKE AN HTA SO I HAVE A REASON TO DO SO, and I'll provide you with an HTA (basically, a web page with program-level privileges) that runs invisibly and wastes RAM. Just register it as a startup program using the registry or MSCONFIG but not the Startup folder unless you want to get caught. As time goes on, register multiple copies for additional lag.

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 2 3 4 >
  Back to forum