Staredit Network > Forums > Technology & Computers > Topic: How To Break My Computer
How To Break My Computer
This topic is locked. You can no longer write replies here.
Aug 6 2010, 1:22 am
By: Dem0n
Pages: 1 2 34 >

Aug 6 2010, 1:22 am Dem0n Post #1

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

My computer is trash. It can't run anything is the graphics card is something from the stone age. It runs slow as it is, but my dad won't believe me. He only uses the computer to check his email to play bridge online, so he doesn't realize how shitty it actually is. So, is there a way to subtly break my computer over time? I can't just break it all at once or else my dad will blame it on me, saying that I downloaded some virus or something. I know it's a terrible thing to do, but I really need a new computer. >_>

Aug 6 2010, 1:29 am Tempz Post #2

Download some stuff so that you have low virtual memory... works every time

None.

Aug 6 2010, 1:30 am The Starport Post #3

get a jab ya bum. :massimo:

:P

None.

Aug 6 2010, 1:31 am Centreri Post #4

Relatively ancient and inactive

If your dad doesn't want to upgrade the computer... maybe it's because you don't HAVE the money to upgrade it?

None.

Aug 6 2010, 1:31 am Complete Post #5

Try And overheat your computer day after day so it frys the hardware.

Aka: SlimJim(U) / Complete / Complete(U) / 4Slim2Jim0 / SlimJim @ USEast

Aug 6 2010, 1:34 am Dem0n Post #6

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

Quote from Centreri
If your dad doesn't want to upgrade the computer... maybe it's because you don't HAVE the money to upgrade it?
We're Indian. We're rich. We're cheap. :massimo:

Aug 6 2010, 2:01 am Lanthanide Post #7

What operating system are you running. Provide any other details about your computer so we might actually be able to, you know, help.

None.

Aug 6 2010, 2:04 am Aristocrat Post #8

Quote from name:Dem0nS1ayer
Quote from Centreri
We're Indian. We're rich. We're cheap. :massimo:

Find a script that freezes the computer for extended periods of time when certain websites are visited. Add his bridge websites and email to the blacklist.

None.

Aug 6 2010, 2:06 am CecilSunkure Post #9

Torrent a lot of shit.

Another idea: First you put a ton of programs into your startup folder so that your computer starts up ridiculously slowly. Then, you complain that your computer seems to be getting slower and slower and slower (the programs in startup is for evidence to show your dad). After some time of doing this, you can just unplug something within the computer so that the thing won't even turn on properly. A computer repair shop would be able to fix that quite easily, so if he takes it in for repairs after you complain I think you're pretty much out of luck.

Instead of unplugging something you could just break something......

None.

Aug 6 2010, 2:12 am Centreri Post #10

... Seriously? You're giving someone advice to break a computer so they can force their parents to get a new one?

For shame, SEN.

None.

Aug 6 2010, 3:16 am Dem0n Post #11

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

That's why I said that it was terrible. But seriously, it's necessary. I'm running XP on a 37 gb HD, 1.2 gb RAM, 2.4 ghz processor, and a video card with 64 mbs memory with no shader support. I can't run anything new. :-(

Aug 6 2010, 3:17 am Centreri Post #12

I typically tend to trust financial matters to the adults in the family, thanks. : /

None.

Aug 6 2010, 3:31 am rockz Post #13

ᴄʜᴇᴇsᴇ ɪᴛ!

My friend stuck his laptop in a microwave to get a new one out of the warranty.

I find it hard to believe that your family is rich and they haven't given you any money? When I graduated from high school I had ~$3k saved up. If you have $600, I made a nice build which will run SC2 and includes everything, including OS (but you'll need $700 before rebate).

To let you know how cheap my parents were: I didn't get an n64 until 2005, when I finally bought one myself. That was my first console.

"Parliamentary inquiry, Mr. Chairman - do we have to call the Gentleman a gentleman if he's not one?"

Aug 6 2010, 3:43 am Jack Post #14

>be faceless void >mfw I have no face

Find dust from somewhere, pour into the power supply unit via the fan at the back (while it's turned off of course) and repeat until something starts burning.
Alternatively, assuming it's old enough, get the HD power cable and switch some wires, plug it back it, and turn it on while your parents are around. The HD will start popping and smoking (no really, I did it by accident once, it was epic)

Red classic.

"In short, their absurdities are so extreme that it is painful even to quote them."

Aug 6 2010, 3:46 am Lanthanide Post #15

Heh, if you want to fry the PSU, just flip the little switch from 120V to 230V.

None.

Aug 6 2010, 4:21 am FoxWolf1 Post #16

If your computer can't run new games, why not get games with lower system requirements instead? Newer games might be flashier, but more advanced technology doesn't necessarily lead to better gameplay, and many older games have been abandoned by their publishers, making them effectively free.

Here might be a good place to start. And if, for some reason that I would no doubt find completely inexplicable, you can't find anything there, there are other sources of abandonware and freeware (which tends to have somewhat lower system requirements than commercial software of the same age) just a Google search away.

I'm sure that 90%+ of the people in the world would be overjoyed to have a computer like the one that you have described...and so could you, with a bit of creativity and willingness to think outside the box (or the store). Sure, maybe it can't run whatever the latest nerd-fad might be, but so too do newer computers often have trouble running older software, and I guarantee that you haven't explored even a quarter of the game software that falls within the appropriate age range for your hardware.

None.

Aug 6 2010, 4:35 am Dem0n Post #17

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

SC2 is new. That's what I want.

Aug 6 2010, 4:42 am ShredderIV Post #18

I'm sure that 90%+ of the people in the world would be overjoyed to have a computer like the one that you have described...and so could you, with a bit of creativity and willingness to think outside the box (or the store). Sure, maybe it can't run whatever the latest nerd-fad might be, but so too do newer computers often have trouble running older software, and I guarantee that you haven't explored even a quarter of the game software that falls within the appropriate age range for your hardware.
He has a 37 GB HD and 1.2 Gigs of RAM. I'm pretty sure you can get that much for $100 nowadays.

Hell, one of my old comps has a 75GB HD and 1 gig of ram. It sucks. And it's about 7 years old. The only thing it can run is starcraft. The thing had a hard time running Age of Mythology back in the day on lowest settings.

It seems like everyone wants a new comp for SC2. With a comp like that, It shouldnt take much to break it honestly.

None.

Aug 6 2010, 9:18 am NudeRaider Post #19

We can't explain the universe, just describe it; and we don't know whether our theories are true, we just know they're not wrong. >Harald Lesch

Quote from Centreri
... Seriously? You're giving someone advice to break a computer so they can force their parents to get a new one?

For shame, SEN.
For once, I agree with Cent. Don't turn on your parents. This is a line one should never cross for whatever reason. And ESPECIALLY not over a damn computer game. Come to your senses man, it's your family.

Listen to Foxwolf. Make the best out of your situation until you can afford a new computer yourself.

Aug 6 2010, 9:18 pm CecilSunkure Post #20

Quote from NudeRaider
Quote from Centreri

For shame, SEN.
For once, I agree with Cent. Don't turn on your parents. This is a line one should never cross for whatever reason. And ESPECIALLY not over a damn computer game. Come to your senses man, it's your family.

Listen to Foxwolf. Make the best out of your situation until you can afford a new computer yourself.
Screw that. You deserve a new computer and your parents are being cheap about the whole deal.

None.

Options
Pages: 1 2 34 >
  Back to forum