Staredit Network > Forums > Staredit Network > Topic: DeVouReR for Admin?
DeVouReR for Admin?
Apr 20 2010, 2:41 am
By: Moose
Pages: < 1 2 3 4 >

Apr 20 2010, 5:51 am Vrael Post #21

Quote from CecilSunkure
Quote from DevliN
So we're all clear, I don't think Moose is suggesting DeV as a replacement for himself, just as an Admin similar to IP since he does so much for the site.

I didn't go into any detail, but when it comes to community management, I completely agree with DTBK.
I think we actually all agree with this, I don't think I've seen anyone even hint as to otherwise.
I disagree actually.

As far as I can tell, Dev wants the best for SEN. He may be green now, but if he has the time and willingness to learn, as long as we as a staff stick around to help him he will do fine. Experience is often the best teacher, and any immaturity we see now on Dev's part will likely be washed away by his experiences as he grows to meet the role of administrator. I think he has a capable, rational mind, and I think that if he were actually placed in the role he would grow to meet the demands of it, not abuse it immaturely. Dev would not be my first choice for the role in another time and circumstance, but in this time and circumstance, he has the coding capability SEN needs, and with Moose phasing out it is probably best to pick someone sooner rather than later. The point I'm trying to make, is that where DTBK sees a sapling I see the beginnings of a mighty oak. If he takes time to listen to the older staff and weighs his decisions carefully he will do fine.

Before I vote "yes" however, I'd like to hear the thoughts of Devourer himself on this issue.

None.

Apr 20 2010, 11:55 am Neki Post #22

I'm highly reserved about this issue. On one hand, Devourer has been highly helpful to the SEN with his massive amount of coding and his openness to change and feedback about the site ever since he got access to the coding of SEN. Though, like others have mentioned, he's still a bit immature and very bold, but that would disappear over time assuming he doesn't go on some massive power trip. I think it'd be more helpful to find a community admin (a role doesn't DeV really fit right now) but I'm not sure, DeV could grow in that role I guess. Assuming DeV does gain admin status, how would that change how he affects SEN already? He codes like a beast regardless of his status.

None.

Apr 20 2010, 1:01 pm Devourer Post #23

Hello

Quote from Vrael
Quote from CecilSunkure
Quote from DevliN
So we're all clear, I don't think Moose is suggesting DeV as a replacement for himself, just as an Admin similar to IP since he does so much for the site.

I didn't go into any detail, but when it comes to community management, I completely agree with DTBK.
I think we actually all agree with this, I don't think I've seen anyone even hint as to otherwise.
I disagree actually.

As far as I can tell, Dev wants the best for SEN. He may be green now, but if he has the time and willingness to learn, as long as we as a staff stick around to help him he will do fine. Experience is often the best teacher, and any immaturity we see now on Dev's part will likely be washed away by his experiences as he grows to meet the role of administrator. I think he has a capable, rational mind, and I think that if he were actually placed in the role he would grow to meet the demands of it, not abuse it immaturely. Dev would not be my first choice for the role in another time and circumstance, but in this time and circumstance, he has the coding capability SEN needs, and with Moose phasing out it is probably best to pick someone sooner rather than later. The point I'm trying to make, is that where DTBK sees a sapling I see the beginnings of a mighty oak. If he takes time to listen to the older staff and weighs his decisions carefully he will do fine.

Before I vote "yes" however, I'd like to hear the thoughts of Devourer himself on this issue.
Ok, first off: it feels good to hear how most of you are thinking about me, secondly I want to tell that I could never replace Moose and won't. If I really become an admin (mainly for coding) I would be grateful and when it comes to moderation problems I would talk to moose, farty, jaff and/or Excalibur over MSN just as I do nowadays. I'm just trying to say that I do not moderate without an opinion of a veteran moderator, but yet I definitely know how to handle spam-posts without an other opinion.

However, you guys are right, I'm learning on how to moderate right over time.

To sum it up again: being an admin would motivate me even more, but not directly affect the way of how I'm moderating right now (protal news and staredit forum).

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Apr 20 2010, 3:05 pm by DeVouReR.

Please report errors in the Staredit.Network forum.

Apr 20 2010, 1:16 pm Centreri Post #24

Relatively ancient and inactive

So, if you want Dev to code more... Dev for admin. :P

None.

Apr 20 2010, 1:34 pm TiKels Post #25

Dev4'min!
DeV is approachable and friendly, although "Green" as one member pointed out. I feel that from the points shown here in this topic, for the moment, DeV is the best choice.

"If a topic that clearly interest noone needs to be closed to underline the "we don't want this here" message, is up to debate."

-NudeRaider

Apr 20 2010, 1:47 pm Ahli Post #26

I do stuff and thingies... Try widening and reducing the number of small nooks and crannies to correct the problem.

Technical aspect: yes
Social aspect: not enough experience?

I would give Devourer technical access and give him a status of a global moderator (I guess that is pretty similar to an admin).
At least he needs assistance by our global moderators. They have much experience in solving issues and dispairs.

Apr 20 2010, 7:12 pm Super Duper Post #27

Yes.

I cannot think of anyone else that deserves it more.

...Maybe Farty...

None.

Apr 20 2010, 7:26 pm lil-Inferno Post #28

Just here for the pie

If he already has the capability to code anyone's ass out of here, I think he deserves to be an admin.

Apr 20 2010, 11:18 pm Moose Post #29

We live in a society.

Unfortunately, DTBK brings up many good points. In a way, his words detail my own concerns. (though with eloquence I did not put in my post) Perhaps I was too hasty and I should have started my quest for finding a new administrator by asking exactly what an administrator is and should be.

Apr 21 2010, 12:59 am EzTerix Post #30

I just voted yes to not sound like an asshole :awesome:

None.

Apr 21 2010, 1:41 am payne Post #31

:payne:

Quote from Mini Moose 2707
Unfortunately, DTBK brings up many good points. In a way, his words detail my own concerns. (though with eloquence I did not put in my post) Perhaps I was too hasty and I should have started my quest for finding a new administrator by asking exactly what an administrator is and should be.
Yup, DTBK light up a little flashlight in my head: it might not be the best thing to give Dev admin status.
I'd rather suggest you to give him the access to the whole code.
(Plus all the others' recommendations)

None.

Apr 21 2010, 2:33 am BlueWolf Post #32

Dev should be global mod next to Ex. JaFF promoted to Admin, since he will be the best Admin SEN will ever have. If not JaFF, then Excalibur or Unholy.

We should have some sort of election instead. Anyone that wants to run for Admin get their campaigns ready.

None.

Apr 21 2010, 2:40 am Centreri Post #33

Yeah, not convinced by DTBK. Dev deserves it, he's shown himself to be responsible, and he's more community-oriented than IP.

None.

Apr 21 2010, 3:21 am LoveLess Post #34

Let me show you how to hump without making love.

I know that Moose and IP have been fading out recently... But we're talking about replacements? Man, that makes me feel pretty shitty. Been here for a while and they were there for the greatest time, as Tau had some serious ADD problems.

Anywho, Devo does a lot for us here at SEN and it really makes me happy to know just how much he really has done here. Really great guy and he's not some half ass map maker either. He's made maps and been in the community socially more than some.

And if we are really talking about dethroning the Moose here soon... I would want to say that DTBK would be ideal, or JaFF. However, since I have known JaFF for quite some time and think he is a smart guy, my opinion may be biast as friends. Ideally, I would have wanted someone like Syphon or maybe even Kenoli, but their not around quite as much as they used to be.

None.

Apr 21 2010, 3:22 am Syphon Post #35

Well, if he's anything like the last few people who've become admin, he'd suddenly disappear.

That said, he'd do a better job than most of the people who've had the globe. Not Demaris. Demaris was golden.

None.

Apr 21 2010, 3:23 am LoTu)S Post #36

We should have some sort of election instead. Anyone that wants to run for Admin get their campaigns ready.

I'm down with this idea, though based on this poll...looks like Dev is in favor. Dev deserves the position; he worked hard for it.

None.

Apr 21 2010, 3:32 am Syphon Post #37

Quote from LoveLess
I know that Moose and IP have been fading out recently... But we're talking about replacements? Man, that makes me feel pretty shitty. Been here for a while and they were there for the greatest time, as Tau had some serious ADD problems.

Anywho, Devo does a lot for us here at SEN and it really makes me happy to know just how much he really has done here. Really great guy and he's not some half ass map maker either. He's made maps and been in the community socially more than some.

And if we are really talking about dethroning the Moose here soon... I would want to say that DTBK would be ideal, or JaFF. However, since I have known JaFF for quite some time and think he is a smart guy, my opinion may be biast as friends. Ideally, I would have wanted someone like Syphon or maybe even Kenoli, but their not around quite as much as they used to be.

Tau was around for so much longer than you realise. He started SeN in like, 2001. When I registered, in... The fall of 2004? He was incredibly active, and it's my understanding that he'd already started to wane out at that point. He didn't really leave leave until 2007. 6 of the past 9 years.

DTBK isn't active enough to be an administrator again, at the end of Maplantis, I was pretty much the highest community authority (Tau almost always asked for my opinion before making any moves not related to the technical prowess of the site, and I more or less set user policy by my actions. Harsh as they were.) and I was a g-mod for a long time here after that. I've played that game for enough. JaFF would be a horrible administrator because he isn't impartial in the least, Kenoli would do good, but like you said, he's gone.

None.

Apr 21 2010, 4:01 am Super Duper Post #38

Quote from LoTu)S

I'm down with this idea, though based on this poll...looks like Dev is in favor. Dev deserves the position; he worked hard for it.
This. Election plox!

None.

Apr 21 2010, 4:49 am Centreri Post #39

I agree that JaFF isn't impartial, but he's well-liked, and his lack of impartiality might be able to meld SEN into something solid. He's not my first choice, but with a ton of awesome people like Doodan, Will, Beer_Keg, etc either gone or relatively inactive, we don't have that much to work with. However, I would agree that Syphon or DTBK would be the best admins (and I would support giving Dev the job as well, purely because he's so awesome a contributor. And it can be taken away if he abuses it). I'm sure DTBK will become more active IF he were to accept the post. Syphon, I really have no idea if you'd want the job, honestly. You've been inactive. But I'd definitely offer it to you, were I Moose. (With initial oversight, and possibly a 2nd admin appointment around the corner)

I'd personally favor a more top-heavy administration. With IP and Moose, the several-year-administrators of SEN, gone/inactive, might as well try and see if three admins (Syphon and DTBK for pragmatic community management, Dev for coding and if he wants to meddle in community, that too) works better. It'll lessen the load on each one of you, for one thing.

None.

Apr 21 2010, 4:51 am Devourer Post #40

Hello

Hey, if SEN does not want me to become an admin right now, it is no problem. I can wait, but promoting me to a global mod instead is sort of senseless.
People are afraid of me being an admin because of the moderating but then you are thinking I should be a gmod instead? I don't know, but that's weird.
I'm already learning how to moderate in two forums and reporting posts in others which , in my eyes, should be deleted. Normally, a gmod talk to me afterwards about what's wrong with the post.

And: JaFF, I would love him to see him being an Admin but he doesn't want to if I remember right.
David cannot be such a #2 coder, he did not proof himself yet.

However, all I can say, trying not to sound egoistic, is that making an admin would not be a wrong move. I've shown SEN how I'm ticking: helping and most of the time friendly. Becoming an admin would not change anything at my attitude, it would just motivate me now and later on, when I made a break and I can tell myself "god damn, they gave you that globe, you got to do something for it" to get back to work.

Post has been edited 2 time(s), last time on Apr 21 2010, 5:28 am by DeVouReR.

Please report errors in the Staredit.Network forum.

Options
Pages: < 1 2 3 4 >
  Back to forum