Staredit Network > Forums > Null > Topic: 17th Birthday Present
17th Birthday Present
This topic is locked. You can no longer write replies here.
Nov 17 2008, 5:47 am
By: Ultraviolet
Pages: < 1 2 3 4 >

Nov 17 2008, 5:39 pm Doodan Post #21

You're as whiny as Anakin Skywalker, only without the Jedi powers. Wax on, wax off my son.

None.

Nov 17 2008, 9:19 pm Greo Post #22

Quote from Obi-wan, obviously
You're as whiny as Anakin Skywalker, only without the Jedi powers. Wax on, wax off my son.
This, and you should really take her letter seriously; if she didn't care, she wouldn't have bothered to write it at all.

None.

Nov 17 2008, 9:28 pm Fisty Post #23

Personally I'd love to get a letter like this...I need to learn most of what was on that list, and a bit more (like responsibility lul).

None.

Nov 17 2008, 10:08 pm Centreri Post #24

Relatively ancient and inactive

I'm sorry, but I have to side with Nerdy on this one. These things are learnable solo, or, at worst, googleable. Not a real gift.

However, maybe your parents are having financial troubles with this crisis, so they came up with this. Betta' then nothing.

None.

Nov 17 2008, 11:13 pm Riney Post #25

Thigh high affectionado

At least they didnt tell you to go masturbate...else you'd really be complaining.

Riney#6948 on Discord.
Riney on Steam (Steam)
@RineyCat on Twitter

-- Updated as of December 2021 --

Nov 18 2008, 12:56 am Corbo Post #26

ALL PRAISE YOUR SUPREME LORD CORBO

#2 You hardly know how to cook anything, so we'll start with your favorite dishes. I'll teach you to cook them all before you go away to college. How popular you will be among your roommates, knowing how to cook up a pot of paella for them!
LMAO YOU CAN'T COOK?!
Poor loser.

Anyway, I'd actually be really grateful if someone had taught me to cook as well as a mom, instead, I learnt the hard way >:(
I stand with everyone else, you have to appreciate that your mom cares about you and wants to prepare you for when you leave them. Just because you like to predent that those things are easy to just learn them in 5 minutes doesn't really make them that way.

fuck you all

Nov 18 2008, 2:13 am l)ark_ssj9kevin Post #27

Just here for the activity... well not really

Great gift, but not for your birthday.

guy lifting weight (animated smiley):

O-IC
OI-C

"Oh, I see it"

Nov 18 2008, 2:28 am MadZombie Post #28

Quote from l)ark_ssj9kevin
Yea... did you get the letter in an envelope? check it for some cash. Maybe it's taped to the back? :ego:

None.

Nov 18 2008, 2:31 am Voyager7456 Post #29

Responsible for my own happiness? I can't even be responsible for my own breakfast

Quote from Doodan

I love you, Doodan.

all i am is a contrary canary
but i'm crazy for you
i watched you cradling a tissue box
sneezing and sniffling, you were still a fox

Modding Resources: The Necromodicon [WIP] | Mod Night
My Projects: SCFC | ARAI | Excision [WIP] | SCFC2 [BETA] | Robots vs. Humans | Leviathan Wakes [BETA]

Nov 18 2008, 2:34 am Excalibur Post #30

The sword and the faith

Quote from Voyager7456
Quote from Doodan

I love you, Doodan.
I'M TELLING YOUR GF!!! :omfg:

SEN Global Moderator and Resident Zealot
-------------------------
The sword and the faith.

:ex:
Sector 12
My stream, live PC building and tech discussion.

Nov 18 2008, 2:46 am Falkoner Post #31

Incorrect, I don't want tangible gifts, I just don't want to have to do this crap. These skills aren't difficult, and don't need to be taught. Each of them takes about 10 minutes to learn. This is a self-serving gift.

These are basic life skills that I'm surprised you haven't picked up by now, and sure it's easy, but knowing how to use Email is easy too, doesn't mean my Grandma is going to ever do it, if it's so easy, then take the 10 minutes and learn it.

None.

Nov 18 2008, 2:52 am FatalException Post #32

Quote from Excalibur
Quote from Voyager7456
Quote from Doodan

I love you, Doodan.
I'M TELLING YOUR GF!!! :omfg:
Which one? :shifty:

None.

Nov 18 2008, 3:29 am Mr.Camo Post #33

I learned this shit when I was 14 and my mom broke her arm, and then I had to do fucking everything when she tore her ACL, MCL, the miniscus, and plateau fractured her leg.

Made me totally respect what my mom did for me. :-(

None.

Nov 18 2008, 6:22 am DT_Battlekruser Post #34

and wave the $100 bills in front of the car dealer's face

If you wave money in front of a salesman's face, he will want all of it.

Which one? :shifty:

Win :P

None.

Nov 18 2008, 7:15 am Ultraviolet Post #35

Quote from EzDay281
just because you got nothing
It's not "nothing", it's "I want to waste your time with things I don't need to teach you to do." Negative-sum, there. If someone will get offended about anything in the first place, this seems like a reasonable candidate.

This basically sums up how I feel about it.

Quote from DT_Battlekruser
From the sound of the letter, he got a car from his parents last year and they are probably paying for some fraction of the recurring costs thereof. His mom is just trying to prepare him for the world; if that doesn't count as a gift you'll probably change your mind when you have to do your own laundry. Judging by the smell of people, I suppose there are those guys who never do wash their clothes anyway..

Yeah, I got a car last year when I got my license, and then another one more recently (couple months back). Besides gas there haven't really been any recurring costs, yet. Car maintenance is one of the ones I could actually get behind (my brother has some things in mind besides just maintenance :P). I've done my own laundry, and am quite capable, I just don't really like to. Of course, if the choice were to do laundry or wear dirty clothes I'd go do the laundry, though.

Quote from Impeached
Cooking does not take 10 minutes to learn. You said it takes 10 minutes. lulz.

Car maintenance does not take 10 minutes to learn. You said it takes 10 minutes. lulz.

Well, those are the two more difficult ones, and the two that she has the least focus on.

Quote from Greo
This, and you should really take her letter seriously; if she didn't care, she wouldn't have bothered to write it at all.

She cares in an unproductive manner :P

Quote from Centreri
I'm sorry, but I have to side with Nerdy on this one. These things are learnable solo, or, at worst, googleable. Not a real gift.

However, maybe your parents are having financial troubles with this crisis, so they came up with this. Betta' then nothing.

Well, if that were the case, I could totally understand the situation (although I still would rather just be told instead of it being a 'gift'). However, both of my parents are pretty well off doctors, so we're doing pretty well.

Quote from Corbo
#2 You hardly know how to cook anything, so we'll start with your favorite dishes. I'll teach you to cook them all before you go away to college. How popular you will be among your roommates, knowing how to cook up a pot of paella for them!
LMAO YOU CAN'T COOK?!
Poor loser.

I can cook simple guy stuff :P

Quote from MadZombie
Yea... did you get the letter in an envelope? check it for some cash. Maybe it's taped to the back? :ego:

Nope, that was the whole thing :ego:

Quote from Falkoner
Incorrect, I don't want tangible gifts, I just don't want to have to do this crap. These skills aren't difficult, and don't need to be taught. Each of them takes about 10 minutes to learn. This is a self-serving gift.

These are basic life skills that I'm surprised you haven't picked up by now, and sure it's easy, but knowing how to use Email is easy too, doesn't mean my Grandma is going to ever do it, if it's so easy, then take the 10 minutes and learn it.

Most of the skills on there I do actually know how to do. She seems to think that since I don't do it, I can't. The point is that I don't really want to put the time into doing it, even 10 minutes. However, if she decided she didn't want to do my stuff for me, then I would have to, and that would be acceptable. But, it was her manner of presentation that really annoyed me. Trying to pass off daily chores as a gift? Come on.

Nov 18 2008, 7:22 am Kaias Post #36

Quote from name:NerdyTerdy
Quote from EzDay281
just because you got nothing
It's not "nothing", it's "I want to waste your time with things I don't need to teach you to do." Negative-sum, there. If someone will get offended about anything in the first place, this seems like a reasonable candidate.

This basically sums up how I feel about it.

Quote from DT_Battlekruser
From the sound of the letter, he got a car from his parents last year and they are probably paying for some fraction of the recurring costs thereof. His mom is just trying to prepare him for the world; if that doesn't count as a gift you'll probably change your mind when you have to do your own laundry. Judging by the smell of people, I suppose there are those guys who never do wash their clothes anyway..

Yeah, I got a car last year when I got my license, and then another one more recently (couple months back). Besides gas there haven't really been any recurring costs, yet. Car maintenance is one of the ones I could actually get behind (my brother has some things in mind besides just maintenance :P). I've done my own laundry, and am quite capable, I just don't really like to. Of course, if the choice were to do laundry or wear dirty clothes I'd go do the laundry, though.

Quote from Impeached
Cooking does not take 10 minutes to learn. You said it takes 10 minutes. lulz.

Car maintenance does not take 10 minutes to learn. You said it takes 10 minutes. lulz.

Well, those are the two more difficult ones, and the two that she has the least focus on.

Quote from Greo

She cares in an unproductive manner :P

Quote from Centreri

Well, if that were the case, I could totally understand the situation (although I still would rather just be told instead of it being a 'gift'). However, both of my parents are pretty well off doctors, so we're doing pretty well.

Quote from Corbo
LMAO YOU CAN'T COOK?!
Poor loser.

I can cook simple guy stuff :P

Quote from MadZombie

Nope, that was the whole thing :ego:

Quote from Falkoner

Most of the skills on there I do actually know how to do. She seems to think that since I don't do it, I can't. The point is that I don't really want to put the time into doing it, even 10 minutes. However, if she decided she didn't want to do my stuff for me, then I would have to, and that would be acceptable. But, it was her manner of presentation that really annoyed me. Trying to pass off daily chores as a gift? Come on.
In the time you've spent in/on this thread, you could've learned several of these skills.

None.

Nov 18 2008, 7:51 am DT_Battlekruser Post #37

Besides gas there haven't really been any recurring costs, yet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Car_insurance

None.

Nov 18 2008, 8:02 am Ultraviolet Post #38

Psh, I drive uninsured. Alright, so there's one more recurring cost. Although, that's on my father's end, and this letter was from my mother. They're divorced and don't always necessarily work together (in terms of me).

Nov 18 2008, 9:11 am Riney Post #39

Thigh high affectionado

Hey I havent gotten a birthday present in 5 years, and Im about to be 19, thats like...800 dollars of videogames I could have. Or a computer that actually could run a game that was made in 2001 <_<

Riney#6948 on Discord.
Riney on Steam (Steam)
@RineyCat on Twitter

-- Updated as of December 2021 --

Nov 18 2008, 10:29 am Ultraviolet Post #40

Quote from name:Dark_Marine
Hey I havent gotten a birthday present in 5 years, and Im about to be 19, thats like...800 dollars of videogames I could have. Or a computer that actually could run a game that was made in 2001 <_<

There's a different between not getting a present, and getting a present that is negative.

Options
Pages: < 1 2 3 4 >
  Back to forum