Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 UMS Mapmaking Assistance > Topic: i want the manuscripts
i want the manuscripts
Jun 22 2014, 10:10 am
By: KoKo_PiDeRaS
Pages: < 1 2 3 >

Jun 24 2014, 12:07 pm Roy Post #21

An artist's depiction of an Extended Unit Death

Quote from KoKo_PiDeRaS
by your method, the trigger action would have to be used by the bloody death of a civillian, which i want to avoid
The "Remove Unit At Location" trigger does not kill the unit - it just makes it disappear: there will not be any blood.

Quote from KoKo_PiDeRaS
what about storms and the such?
It's the same deal with all unit statuses; there are 1700 unit indexes in a map, so unless you know exactly which index has the unit you want, you'd have to write 1700 triggers to detect the status effect, and even then, you'll have no idea where the unit is, what type of unit it is, or to whom the unit belongs. You could add these additional checks, but that multiplies the triggers to about 340000 if you're checking each unit type, and then to 2720000 if you're checking the player owner. And let's be realistic here: you're not going to write 2.7 million triggers. (Also, this still doesn't solve the fact that you don't know where the unit is on the map; you can't use actions targeting the unit specifically, unless that unit happens to be somehow unique.)

Unit EUDs are very cool if you're working with specific units, but they quickly become troublesome for generalized systems.

Quote from KoKo_PiDeRaS
yes center screen was a possibility but i dont want to force it on spectators. so it is possible, what if i do it only for a small range of the center of the map and say only for one spell?
Checking screen position is not an expensive thing to do, but detecting where an EUD happens is a difficult thing.

Quote from KoKo_PiDeRaS
so spells like maelstrom would require the code of the unit and can't trigger unless an exact unit is pointed out? what about unit ID ranges (trigger upon spell for any unit as long as the unit is in the game)?
I assume you're asking about EUDGen's ability to generate triggers for units between index 0 and 1699: these will create a total of 1700 triggers for you. There's no getting around the fact that you'll be dealing with a lot of triggers if you intend to check every unit index.

You could generate 1700 triggers checking that the unit has maelstrom status and the unit is within certain X and Y coordinates, and check screen position for certain X and Y coordinates, and if all conditions pass, play your wav. This should only require 1700 triggers per area.

Jun 24 2014, 7:40 pm KoKo_PiDeRaS Post #22

what about psi storm, that doesn't require specific units?

None.

Jun 24 2014, 7:47 pm Roy Post #23

Detecting if a unit is under Psi Storm is a unit status, which would require 1700 triggers. Detecting if a High Templar has casted Psi Storm would also take 1700 triggers.

How do you intend to detect Psi Storm?

Jun 25 2014, 8:19 am Azrael Post #24

Quote from KoKo_PiDeRaS
i am still brainstorming the exact effects in the map and how to get to them but the planning is close to completion. P12 the broodlings were initially civillians (thin/small units) in the player's mineral line. the players are given a choice to vote for something that would change further in game and the choice is time limited, therefore the hallucination/broodling.

Alright. Let's say you want to use hallucinated Civilians. That's easy, assuming 3 things are true:

1) There will never be real Civilians alive at the same time as hallucinated Civilians.
2) Hallucinated Civilians will never enter the exact center of the map.
3) You have a unique burrowed Zerg unit placed at the center of the map.

For the last one, let's assume you place a burrowed Devouring One (the Zergling hero) at the center of the map.

Now there's an easy way to know when your hallucinated Civilians are gone!

Trigger
Players
  • Force 1
  • Conditions
  • Always.
  • Actions
  • Center "Location 0" on Terran Civilian owned by Current Player at Anywhere.
  • Preserve Trigger.

• Trigger
    Players
  • Force 1
  • Conditions
  • All Players bring exactly 1 Devouring One to "Location 0".
  • Actions
  • Display text: "There are no hallucinated Civilians still alive!"

• When you center a location, it will try to center itself on hallucinated units. If there are no units to center on, it will move to the center of the map instead.

Thus, you can just keep centering a location on the hallucinated Civilians, and when they all die, the location will move to the center of the map instead. Then there will be a Devouring One inside the location, because you placed one at the center of the map.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Jun 26 2014, 2:33 am by Azrael.

Jun 25 2014, 7:49 pm KoKo_PiDeRaS Post #25

thanks for the idea, from what i read i thought that hallucinations can't trigger any conditions. this would be hard to do though since there will always be 4 civillians - the map will either have 2 players OR 3-or-4 players - the prior requires both players to vote so that the trigger is activated, the second requires that 3 votes are made (no matter if 3 or 4 players present)
    either way, this would leave at least one civillian behind which would never bring the location to the center of the map where there is already in fact a burrowed unit.
    by the way, must P12 have the burrow ability researched to have burrowed applicable units which need the ability to be researched?

and about the storm, there is no way of detecting the storm as one would detect a unit? (if storm is present as with the bring command)

None.

Jun 25 2014, 8:00 pm Roy Post #26

Quote from KoKo_PiDeRaS
    and about the storm, there is no way of detecting the storm as one would detect a unit? (if storm is present as with the bring command)
    Psi storm is not a unit, so you can't use the Bring or Command conditions to detect them.

Jun 25 2014, 8:48 pm Azrael Post #27

Quote from KoKo_PiDeRaS
    thanks for the idea, from what i read i thought that hallucinations can't trigger any conditions. this would be hard to do though since there will always be 4 civillians - the map will either have 2 players OR 3-or-4 players - the prior requires both players to vote so that the trigger is activated, the second requires that 3 votes are made (no matter if 3 or 4 players present)
    either way, this would leave at least one civillian behind which would never bring the location to the center of the map where there is already in fact a burrowed unit.

Not sure if it helps, but if you use "owned by Current Player" (like in the previous triggers), it will check each player individually. So if Player 1's hallucinated Civilian dies, the location will move to the center of the map for Player 1, even if other players still have their Civilians.

Quote from KoKo_PiDeRaS
    by the way, must P12 have the burrow ability researched to have burrowed applicable units which need the ability to be researched?

Yes, if they are units P12 starts the game with. Burrowed units given to P12 will stay burrowed either way.

Quote from KoKo_PiDeRaS

No, although you can detect Dark Swarm (Defiler), Disruption Web (Corsair), and Scanner Sweep (ComSat Station). For the first two, you can detect their location but not which player cast them. For the last one, you can detect which player cast it but not its location.

Jun 25 2014, 11:05 pm KoKo_PiDeRaS Post #28

well the point of neutral civillians was so that the player does not move them but do something else with them less timestaking and neutral has a nice 'neutral' color, giving them to other players would make rainbow colored civs.

if burrowed units are to spawn burrowed in game, the ability must be researched for the player of which the unit belongs to. just confirmed this. happily, p12 is able to have 'researched' it. i don't think i'll use it though because it would give a free tech on mind controlling.

i might do some sound effects upon spells based on screen pos at some point but i'll leave them out for now.
    any other ideas for the civillians/broodlings? (you guys are better at this than i am lol)

None.

Jun 25 2014, 11:09 pm NudeRaider Post #29

We can't explain the universe, just describe it; and we don't know whether our theories are true, we just know they're not wrong. >Harald Lesch

I think you can't mind control invincible units.

Jun 26 2014, 2:37 am Azrael Post #30

Quote from NudeRaider
    I think you can't mind control invincible units.

This.

Quote from KoKo_PiDeRaS
    any other ideas for the civillians/broodlings? (you guys are better at this than i am lol)

If these Civilians are confined to their own areas, then the previous triggers can be modified to work still. The reason that "Location 0" moves to the center of the map is because that's the center of "Anywhere". If you were to put a decent-sized location at each player's voting area, then you could replace "Anywhere" with "Player 1 Voting Area", to make it work for Player 1. Then you'd need to make another copy for "Player 2 Voting Area" and Player 2, then again for Player 3, etc.

Each player would need their own voting area, their own location, and their own triggers. If you have 4 players, that's only 8 triggers.

Jun 26 2014, 9:03 am KoKo_PiDeRaS Post #31

so the triggers should be:
    -if player12 commands 1 civillian at location "player 1/2/3/4 location" then center location on civillian at location "player 1/2/3/4 location"
    -if player12 brings 1 burrowed zerg unit or whatever else in the center of the map to location "player 1/2/3/4 location" then (based on 2 or 3 of the needed votes) execute action

not sure if i have mentioned anything about invincible units. the burrowed unit would have been there for the purpose of mind-controlling, no use of it if it was invincible.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Jun 26 2014, 9:49 am by KoKo_PiDeRaS.

None.

Jun 26 2014, 3:43 pm Azrael Post #32

Quote from KoKo_PiDeRaS
    -if player12 commands 1 civillian at location "player 1/2/3/4 location"

This would need to be "Always" or something similar, like "Switch 1 is Clear" (then you'd Set Switch 1 when the vote was made, for example). That's because "P12 commands 1 Civilian" won't work for a hallucinated Civilian (which is why you need a special system to detect it).

Quote from KoKo_PiDeRaS
    center location on civillian

Instead of just "location", let's call it "p12 location" for the next part.

Quote from KoKo_PiDeRaS
    -if player12 brings 1 burrowed zerg unit or whatever else in the center of the map to location "player 1/2/3/4 location"

This is right, except for two things:

1) "the burrowed zerg unit or whatever else in the center of the map" should be "in the center of the "player 1/2/3/4 location"".

2) "if player12 brings ... to location "player 1/2/3/4 location"" should be "If player12 brings ... to location "player 12 location"".

So the updated triggers would be:

-if <voting is still going on> then center "player 12 location" on civilian at location "player 1/2/3/4 location"
    -if player12 brings <a burrowed zerg unit or whatever else in the center of 'player 1/2/3/4 location'> to location "player 12 location" then (based on 2 or 3 of the needed votes) execute action

Each player 1/2/3/4 location needs its own "burrowed zerg unit (or whatever)" in the center of it. It must also be impossible for the Civilian to ever reach the center of the location (if the Civilian stands near the burrowed zerg unit in the center, then the burrowed zerg unit will end up inside the player 12 location when it gets centered, so the system will think that the Civilian is dead).

Also, I'm not sure about the "(based on 2 or 3 of the needed votes) execute action". That second trigger should be counting a single person's vote, like "Add 1 death of Cantina for Current Player". Then you'd have a third trigger for executing the action being voted on, like "-if force 1 has suffered at least 3 deaths of Cantina, then execute action".

Quote from KoKo_PiDeRaS
    not sure if i have mentioned anything about invincible units. the burrowed unit would have been there for the purpose of mind-controlling, no use of it if it was invincible.

No, you didn't :P It was just a likely assumption. In that case, the neutral burrowed unit must get replaced by a new one after it's mind-controlled? Otherwise it wouldn't work for the voting system (unless it cannot be mind-controlled until after the voting is over).

Post has been edited 2 time(s), last time on Jun 27 2014, 1:53 pm by Azrael.

Jun 27 2014, 10:55 am KoKo_PiDeRaS Post #33

the voting has nothing to do with the neutral kakaru which will be a vulnerable unit that can be killed or mc'd in which case i want it to be replaced by a new one which i'm having difficulty with restoring to the neutral player.

ok thanks for expanding, i'll try the following: center location on civillian at location 1/2/3/4; if p12 brings (centered)burrowed unit to location 1/2/3/4 add 1 death; if 2/3 deaths activate effect.

if move location does work for hallucinations then the only thing left over for now is the kakaru trigger. i won't be using EPD (restore life and move the kakaru)for this because the kakaru has little life and can be brought down in one hit if shot at by 12 scouts for example.

i'll leave the spell sound effects based on screen position for a later time because this will probably take more time than what has already been input into the map

None.

Jun 27 2014, 11:36 am Roy Post #34

Quote from KoKo_PiDeRaS
    the voting has nothing to do with the neutral kakaru which will be a vulnerable unit that can be killed or mc'd in which case i want it to be replaced by a new one which i'm having difficulty with restoring to the neutral player.
    I just tested this, and apparently giving a unit to Neutral does not change the alliance status behavior of that unit. Though the unit will show as neutral when you hover over / select it, your units will treat it with the alliance status of the last non-extended player owner. In this case, if you give a unit owned by an enemy player to Neutral, your units will automatically attack the unit, though it will show the unit to be neutral to you.

A solution would be to create the unit for a player to which all other players are allied and then give to Neutral. Alternatively (if you have no available player to be allies with all players), set the alliance status of Player 9, 10 or 11 to ally for all players, and then give the unit to that extended player instead of Neutral.

Jun 27 2014, 1:45 pm KoKo_PiDeRaS Post #35

Quote from Roy
    if you give a unit owned by an enemy player to Neutral, your units will automatically attack the unit
    that's what i said. this can also be observed in melee games. if you don't ally the enemy before they exit the game or have the alliance window up while they leave, you cannot ally them and the only way to avoid attacking their units and base uselessly is to move out your units manually. another matter having to do with this is that when a player leaves with zerglings and probably scourges hatching in an egg, one of the units that hatches out of the egg becomes light blue (owned by p12)
    so we are able to create units for p9-11 but not for p12? this would be a solution, i dont think i had tried it. i'll try it now
    *this is already mentioned in the pinned topic of this forum called "Frequently Asked Questions and Answers - Look this over before posting Please!"

another thing i was just testing is inverted locations. i just found out that they work contrary to my expectations. im going to use the 'if current player brings exactly 0 units to inverted location' instead of the planned "exactly 1" from my expectations where i expected the inverted location to be an inverted location: if player brings a unit to anywhere EXCEPT to the location - (is this possible?)

i have another question: how are razings calculated from burning buildings? a player's unit able to inflict damage must be within a certain radius when a building burns down? or the player that inflicts the last hit before the building burns down gets the razing?

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Jun 27 2014, 3:06 pm by KoKo_PiDeRaS.

None.

Jun 27 2014, 1:56 pm Azrael Post #36

Quote from KoKo_PiDeRaS
    the voting has nothing to do with the neutral kakaru

It would have had something to do with it if you'd used it in the Civilian detection triggers we were talking about earlier lol (which, if it can move and be mind-controlled, wouldn't have worked anyways).

Quote from KoKo_PiDeRaS
    center location 12 on civillian at location 1/2/3/4; if p12 brings (centered)burrowed unit to location 12 set to 1 death for current player; if 2/3 deaths for force 1 activate effect.

I made a typo in the previous post, which I just corrected. I also updated the above quote to be as accurate as possible. This assumes the four players are on the same force. If they aren't, just use "All Players" instead of "Force 1".

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Jun 27 2014, 2:20 pm by Azrael.

Jun 27 2014, 1:59 pm Roy Post #37

Quote from KoKo_PiDeRaS
    so we are able to create units for p9-11 but not for p12? this would be a solution, i dont think i had tried it. i'll try it now
    No. You cannot create units for extended players. You have to give the unit.

Quote from KoKo_PiDeRaS
    another thing i was just testing is inverted locations. i just found out that they work contrary to my expectations. im going to use the 'if current player brings exactly 0 units to inverted location' instead of the planned "exactly 1" from my expectations where i expected the inverted location to be an inverted location: if player brings a unit to anywhere EXCEPT to the location - (is this possible?)
    For reference: http://www.staredit.net/starcraft/Inverted_Locations

To check if a unit is anywhere except a certain location, just check:

Trigger
    Players
  • Player 1
  • Conditions
  • Current Player commands at least 1 Some_Unit
  • Current Player brings exactly 0 Some_Unit to Some_Location
  • Actions
  • // Your actions

• This will work assuming you don't want the trigger to run when any unit of that type is in the location. The first condition isn't necessary if the unit always exists on the map, and it should be removed if you want the trigger to run when the unit doesn't exist on the map.

Quote from KoKo_PiDeRaS
    i have another question: how are razings calculated from burning buildings? a player's unit able to inflict damage must be within a certain radius when a building burns down? or the player that inflicts the last hit before the building burns down gets the razing?
    I'd have to test this to be certain, but I'm fairly sure a building that dies from fire does not count toward razing scores for other players.

Jun 27 2014, 2:24 pm Dem0n Post #38

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

The player who kills a building will get the razing score, regardless of how much (or how little) damage they do to it compared to other players. If a building burns down, the player who last attacked it will get the razing score. Furthermore, if a player destroys his own burning building that has been previously attacked by an enemy, nobody will receive the razing score. Basically, whoever hits it last/destroys it (if it's not their own building) gets the razing score.

HOWEVER!! If an enemy is attacking your building and it starts burning, and then you attack it (but don't kill it), the enemy will still receive the razing score for that building when it finally explodes.

Post has been edited 3 time(s), last time on Jun 27 2014, 2:39 pm by Dem0n.

Jun 27 2014, 3:19 pm NudeRaider Post #39

We can't explain the universe, just describe it; and we don't know whether our theories are true, we just know they're not wrong. >Harald Lesch

Quote from Dem0n
    If a building burns down, the player who last attacked it will get the razing score.
    This is not what I would have expected. Though you probably tested this to be true, right?

Quote from Roy
    Trigger
    Players
  • Player 1
  • Conditions
  • Current Player commands at least 1 Some_Unit
  • Current Player brings exactly 0 Some_Unit to Some_Location
  • Actions
  • // Your actions
  • I assume the reason for using commands in the first condition is because at least counts units under fewer conditions (hallucinated, in bunker, etc.) than at most?
    In that case I just wanted to note, that commands also works a bit differently from brings - most notably that (iirc) it gets updated a turn later than brings if an action that updates brings is run that trigger loop.

Jun 27 2014, 5:32 pm Sacrieur Post #40

Still Napping

Quote from NudeRaider
    Quote from Dem0n
    If a building burns down, the player who last attacked it will get the razing score.
    This is not what I would have expected. Though you probably tested this to be true, right?

Yes, it's true.

But there is a quirk to it: if the building is given to the player who had the last hit and burns to death, no one gets the razing score. The razing is given to the last player (excluding the owner) who attacked it based on who owns the building when it dies.

None.

Options
    Pages: < 1 2 3 >
      Back to forum