By: Roy
Pages: < 1 « 24 25 26 27 >

Feb 23 2012, 7:37 pm Roy Post #501

An artist's depiction of an Extended Unit Death

Quote from DevliN
NIGHT 9
Daddywhoo suspends Leon-037
:|
Sorry, I didn't include his change to TiKels on Midnight 9. Fixed that.

Quote from lil-Inferno
If fucking Lingie was active during this, Mafia would have won. Instead, he was just a name on the Devil's Advocate list because we had four others.
I'm not too sure about that. The balance for this game, in my opinion, was tipped far over to the town's side (I chuckled when Lanthanide said Town was at a disadvantage). It was certainly an uphill battle with Lingie being inactive, but I don't think it was enough to change the scales.

Quote from Lanthanide
Also, Jack was devilisk right? There's no mention of his actions whatsoever in the night actions. What was the clown faces about?
Excalibur gave Jack a secret ability to prevent a lynch from happening (which would be a day action, not a night action), or something to that effect. I never got this information personally from Excalibur.

Edit: Also, that clue list is not necessarily exhaustive for the earlier nights. While I gave Excalibur clue suggestions, he was the one who wrote them in when he was making the game posts.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Feb 23 2012, 7:46 pm by Roy.

Feb 23 2012, 8:01 pm Bar Refaeli Post #502

Yay I won!

Secret powers are dumb but that's just my 2c

None.

Feb 23 2012, 8:02 pm Lanthanide Post #503

I don't think town was particularly advantaged. I only sent PMs to 3 people the entire game: Tempz, then he died. Devlin for most of it and Daddywhoo right at the very end. Simply because my role was too important to risk revealing it or trusting anyone. I knew from my stalk results that I could trust Devlin, but that was about it.

At that point I also believed that another RM was still alive and we just hadn't seen deaths due to combinations of inactivity / dodges / suspensions.

As for the clues about the person with medals: I actually thought that referred to Devlin, but didn't realise it was supposed to be an incriminating clue. I just figured it was a description of what the townies were doing for flavour text. Also I had my stalk result so I trusted him anyway, I'm sure that coloured it somewhat.

Edit: Yes, I think totally secret powers are dumb. If we're notified that a role has secret powers but are specifically not told what they are, that's one thing.

None.

Feb 23 2012, 8:05 pm Bar Refaeli Post #504

Just for the record, Wing Zero was mafia scum and none of you listened. Noobs!

None.

Feb 23 2012, 8:10 pm Aristocrat Post #505

What did the devilesk powers do anyway?

None.

Feb 23 2012, 8:30 pm Roy Post #506

Quote from Lanthanide
I don't think town was particularly advantaged.
We have different perspectives on this game, but to say the Town didn't have an advantage sounds ignorant to me. Here's some of the balance issues I had as a host/observer of this game:
Collapsable Box

Quote from Aristocrat
What did the devilesk powers do anyway?
Quote from Roy
Quote from Lanthanide
Also, Jack was devilisk right? There's no mention of his actions whatsoever in the night actions. What was the clown faces about?
Excalibur gave Jack a secret ability to prevent a lynch from happening (which would be a day action, not a night action), or something to that effect. I never got this information personally from Excalibur.

Feb 23 2012, 8:46 pm Lanthanide Post #507

Quote from Roy
Stalking someone and seeing that they don't interact with anyone shouldn't determine their innocence; the DA and Unwatched technically don't visit anyone to use their night actions.
You'll note that I did stalk the DA, admittedly on night 0, and it was not obvious from the result that he was DA. I also stalked ray, and it gave no indication he was elite (attempting to verify his claim to Devlin).

Stalking shouldn't hint at a player's role anyway; you basically were fed information on whether someone was Mafia or not by stalking them, like a Cop in a regular game with no false positives/negatives. Additionally, you see their target if they have one, making it an even more powerful ability.
Seeing their target really is quite irrelevant. If I stalk someone who was a RM and am told that they killed someone, I don't need to know who that was 'cause I can see it in the Day post. Similarly if I stalk a troll and get told they troll someone, it doesn't matter who the victim was.

Stalking did not reveal the GMod's name, which prevented a potential error to get the GMod lynched thinking he was a Rogue. I guess it was a Reveal-Target/Hide-Targeter setup, which wasn't specified in the role description.
Yes, and this weakened the power because it prevented me from forming a contact with a trusted player.

The DA was not allowed to put The Devilesk on his list at all.
Part of the Devilesk's ability is to be only killed by lynching. It seems silly to let a DA kill them by another means, so why even let them put the name on the list? This actually makes it slightly more likely that the list will succeed because the only potential error here is when they target the actual devilesk and assign them the incorrect role, rather than targetting any other player and claiming they are devilesk.

A lot of the town were not secretive about their role. By the first or second night, the DA knew a Moderator and Veteran. An Elite reveals himself in the thread, and a couple players mention honestly that they are a Regular.
Hence why I don't think town was particularly advantaged...

The minimum name list for the DA was static at 5, and the Mafia lost their other killing roles early on due to a clue giveaway and inactivity/sacrifice. If the number was relative to the number of remaining players, it would scale better.
The DA's power was meant to supplement the other mafia roles. If the other mafia roles aren't performing up to the level they should be, that's nothing to do with the DA power being weak. The game would have been very different if Lingie had been active and we'd been having 2 hits every night from the start. Probably the best way to handle the DA power would be a sort of 'experience' thing: first list is 5 names, second list is 4 names and after that 3 names.

When regular clues decreased in difficulty to solve, the misinform clues remained the same.
Although no one solved any clues until quite late in the game anyway. The fact that they kept using misinform on Devlin and the host kept writing the same sort of clues also hampered them. If they had targeted other players and/or the host had changed up their fake clues, then this could have been different.

The Devilesk was basically revealed every time someone targeted Jack with anything. This made it statistically improbable for him to hide even if he's playing his role to its best ability.
Yeah, well that's silly.

There was mention of the Elite role making the DA more powerful, when this is not the case. Let's assume that the Mafia interpret a failed-to-kill hit as being an Elite role. A suspend on a different role being targeted will lead the Mafia to think that role is an Elite because he survived the night. Now the list is polluted with this incorrect role until the player dies.
This depends entirely on what the host chooses to reveal to the mafia. If the host is revealing inconsistent information then that's the hosts' problem, I think. When I targeted Jack who was suspended I was told I couldn't find him. If a RM targeted someone and was told they couldn't find them, then that means the person was suspended. If they target someone and are told the hit was successful, and yet the person doesn't die, then they know they are an elite.

None.

Feb 23 2012, 9:22 pm TiKels Post #508

We knew who was the devilesk because inf trolled jack and got

You attempt to troll jack, but he trolls you back.

Roy, post my lists. I wanna show how awesome I, and my help, is.

The town had more advantage than disadvantage.

"If a topic that clearly interest noone needs to be closed to underline the "we don't want this here" message, is up to debate."

-NudeRaider

Feb 23 2012, 9:28 pm Lanthanide Post #509

Quote from TiKels
We knew who was the devilesk because inf trolled jack and got

You attempt to troll jack, but he trolls you back.
Which I think is perfectly reasonable. Ideally this devilesk-detection power would have gone to The Unwatched, but as that role didn't have visting powers, giving it to the troll is the next best option.

If this was indeed the only interaction that would reveal the devilesk's role, I don't have any problem with that. Note that the role description actually says this: "Devilesk (Passive): May only be killed by lynching. Will appear as a Regular to any investigative actions." so my stalking of Jack wouldn't have confirmed anything anyway (except perhaps that he was actually mafia).

Quote from TiKels
But is that because of the design of the game, or because Lingie was inactive? I think had he been active, mafia would have had the edge: simply due to towns inability to trust or communicate with each other (and as we saw, early attempts to organise led to the successful DA list - which is entirely the point of that power).

None.

Feb 23 2012, 9:44 pm Jack Post #510

>be faceless void >mfw I have no face

I was so close to winning

TROLLOLOLOLOL

Red classic.

"In short, their absurdities are so extreme that it is painful even to quote them."

Feb 23 2012, 10:31 pm Echo Post #511

How me and Symmetry stay guard if I died?

None.

Feb 23 2012, 10:53 pm OlimarandLouie Post #512

So... next mafia...

None.

Feb 23 2012, 11:18 pm TiKels Post #513

Quote from Lanthanide
Quote from TiKels
But is that because of the design of the game, or because Lingie was inactive? I think had he been active, mafia would have had the edge: simply due to towns inability to trust or communicate with each other (and as we saw, early attempts to organise led to the successful DA list - which is entirely the point of that power).
But the thing is, we vastly outplayed you despite being short a man, and should have won. Every kill you got was because excalibur made an obvious clue. Let me say that again.

Every kill you got was because Excalibur told you who was mafia.

"If a topic that clearly interest noone needs to be closed to underline the "we don't want this here" message, is up to debate."

-NudeRaider

Feb 23 2012, 11:22 pm Bar Refaeli Post #514

Quote from name:Raccoon
There were 282 words in the day post and 1552 letters. On average, that is 5.5 letters per word. Although, in Ex's post there are 32 words which are italisized amounting to a total of 164 letters, obviously ending up with 5.125 letters per word. Adding together 5.5 and 5.125 gives us a total sum of 10.625, which is essentially 11 (we round up, of course). And, would you look at that, member #11 is Wing Zero. Only one solution as I see it...

I vote Wing Zero

Quote from TiKels

Suuure.

None.

Feb 23 2012, 11:23 pm lil-Inferno Post #515

Just here for the pie

Quote from OlimarandLouie
So... next mafia...
;D

Feb 24 2012, 12:02 am Lanthanide Post #516

Quote from TiKels
Quote from Lanthanide
Quote from TiKels
But the thing is, we vastly outplayed you despite being short a man, and should have won. Every kill you got was because excalibur made an obvious clue. Let me say that again.

How was lynching Zycorax because "Excalibur told you who was mafia"? We lynched him because my power revealed he was mafia. I had actually pondered stalking him earlier in the game, but instead went for Jack (which proved to be a waste of time) and Azrael because they looked more tempting at the time.

I also dispute "vastly outplayed" - that's simply because the design of the game prevented town from being able to trust each other and the silly attempts by some townies to do this anyway resulted in their own deaths. I don't think you played particularly well at all.

None.

Feb 24 2012, 12:07 am rayNimagi Post #517

Quote from Lanthanide
I also stalked ray, and it gave no indication he was elite (attempting to verify his claim to Devlin).
Let it be known that my PMs to Devlin seemed shady at first, but I was actually telling the truth. Take this into account in future Mafia games!

Quote from Jack

TROLLOLOLOLOL
It's sad that it took several days after your original lynch for the town to finally kill you. Town, Y U NO LISTEN TO ME?

Win by luck, lose by skill.

Feb 24 2012, 12:23 am Roy Post #518

Oh boy, we're playing this game, are we?
Quote from Lanthanide
Quote from Roy
Stalking someone and seeing that they don't interact with anyone shouldn't determine their innocence; the DA and Unwatched technically don't visit anyone to use their night actions.
You'll note that I did stalk the DA, admittedly on night 0, and it was not obvious from the result that he was DA. I also stalked ray, and it gave no indication he was elite (attempting to verify his claim to Devlin).
It seemed obvious to me, and it became more obvious as the game progressed; you shouldn't be able to use a "This person interacts with nobody" to prove a role. Also, you got no indication from stalking Ray because I gave you that PM, not Excalibur.

Quote from Lanthanide
Quote from Roy
Stalking shouldn't hint at a player's role anyway; you basically were fed information on whether someone was Mafia or not by stalking them, like a Cop in a regular game with no false positives/negatives. Additionally, you see their target if they have one, making it an even more powerful ability.
Seeing their target really is quite irrelevant. If I stalk someone who was a RM and am told that they killed someone, I don't need to know who that was 'cause I can see it in the Day post. Similarly if I stalk a troll and get told they troll someone, it doesn't matter who the victim was.
No it isn't irrelevant, and no you shouldn't be told what they do. If you get "lil-Inferno visits Jack," you don't know if that was a suspension, troll, etc. and therefore don't really know Inferno's alliance. The way Excalibur set it up, you could confirm not only their alliance, but their role, regardless of what the game post describes.

Quote from Lanthanide
Quote from Roy
Stalking did not reveal the GMod's name, which prevented a potential error to get the GMod lynched thinking he was a Rogue. I guess it was a Reveal-Target/Hide-Targeter setup, which wasn't specified in the role description.
Yes, and this weakened the power because it prevented me from forming a contact with a trusted player.
That wasn't so much a balance issue as it was pointing out the target/targeted setup. In this case, I actually agree with it, but it should apply to every role, not just Town-aligned ones. If you stalked ImagoDeo instead of Zycorax, you should not know Zycorax was the one to kill him. There's no example of stalking a Mafia's target in this game, so I can assume this was setup correctly.

Quote from Lanthanide
Quote from Roy
The DA was not allowed to put The Devilesk on his list at all.
Part of the Devilesk's ability is to be only killed by lynching. It seems silly to let a DA kill them by another means, so why even let them put the name on the list? This actually makes it slightly more likely that the list will succeed because the only potential error here is when they target the actual devilesk and assign them the incorrect role, rather than targetting any other player and claiming they are devilesk.
Correct. The Devilesk would not die from the list, but if the Mafia finds out who the Devilesk is (which wasn't hard in this game, but that's another issue I mentioned), they can use that to make the DA's ability more useful. Maybe this is more opinion-based, but I think that would have made for much more interesting game play and strategy. Allow me to elaborate a little:

The game unmodified creates an atmosphere where the Town does not care about the Devilesk; killing him won't improve or decrease their chance to win, and if they thought someone was Mafia, they would ignore Devilesk completely. The Mafia don't really care about him either, because he doesn't benefit them alive or dead. At the very late-game stage, if the Devilesk is alive and has managed to hide himself successfully, he becomes a concern for Mafia (but still no concern to the Town).

Now let's change it so the DA can write the Devilesk. Now the Devilesk becomes an asset to the Mafia in a way, in that the DA can more easily kill the Town. However, they don't want to reveal themselves to the Devilesk, because the Devilesk needs to have at least over half of the Watched dead as his victory condition, and he can easily trade a Mafia name to save himself. If the town figures out who the Devilesk is in this scenario, they'll want to kill him immediately as long as the DA is still alive. If the DA dies, he becomes much less of a concern (like in the modified game).

Tell me which one makes better use of the Devilesk role.

Quote from Lanthanide
Quote from Roy
A lot of the town were not secretive about their role. By the first or second night, the DA knew a Moderator and Veteran. An Elite reveals himself in the thread, and a couple players mention honestly that they are a Regular.
Hence why I don't think town was particularly advantaged...
Bad/foolish players have nothing to do with the game balance, just the implementation. And my point was that even with the Town revealing some roles, it still wasn't enough to put the Mafia in the lead at any point during the game.

Quote from Lanthanide
Quote from Roy
The minimum name list for the DA was static at 5, and the Mafia lost their other killing roles early on due to a clue giveaway and inactivity/sacrifice. If the number was relative to the number of remaining players, it would scale better.
The DA's power was meant to supplement the other mafia roles. If the other mafia roles aren't performing up to the level they should be, that's nothing to do with the DA power being weak. The game would have been very different if Lingie had been active and we'd been having 2 hits every night from the start. Probably the best way to handle the DA power would be a sort of 'experience' thing: first list is 5 names, second list is 4 names and after that 3 names.
There shouldn't be a "I'll make it up on my own if my team is doing poorly" role, in my opinion. I'm talking about balance here, and you're talking about having roles that are supposed to undo the mistakes or poor performance of their side.

I don't think the role distribution was too bad, but let's look at it for a second:

On the Town's side you have 2 players that receive the alliance/role of a player per night, 2 players that either stop a night action (like a hit) or prevent a player from being harmed, 2 players that can kill at night in case you found more than one Mafia during the lynch cycle, and 2 players that don't die immediately from a single hit. Additionally, the 2 players that can hit become up to 2 more suspenders if they kill someone on their team. Imagine if GMods could choose to suspend or kill like I believe you suggested earlier? You'd have 4 suspensions going a night; that's a lot of protection/prevention.

On the Mafia's side, you have 2 hits, 1 prevent, and the DA (who admittedly would be stronger if they could verify whether or not a player survived for being an Elite or survived because of some suspend, which wouldn't always be that easy).

Quote from Lanthanide
Quote from Roy
When regular clues decreased in difficulty to solve, the misinform clues remained the same.
Although no one solved any clues until quite late in the game anyway. The fact that they kept using misinform on Devlin and the host kept writing the same sort of clues also hampered them. If they had targeted other players and/or the host had changed up their fake clues, then this could have been different.
The players shouldn't be blamed for something the host implements improperly. And correct me if I'm wrong, but all Mafia aside from Lingie (inactive, died early) and kinda Inferno (Seemed that the following clue was the only reason Devlin had for pushing the bandwagon, though) were ousted by clues, but not a single misinform was used to kill anyone. Granted, a regular clue was misinterpreted to kill both Riney (Town) and Jack (Devilesk), but it ultimately wound back around to its owner, and losing players at a 1:1 ratio is horrible for Mafia.

Quote from Lanthanide
Quote from Roy
The Devilesk was basically revealed every time someone targeted Jack with anything. This made it statistically improbable for him to hide even if he's playing his role to its best ability.
Yeah, well that's silly.
:awesome:

Quote from Lanthanide
Quote from Roy
There was mention of the Elite role making the DA more powerful, when this is not the case. Let's assume that the Mafia interpret a failed-to-kill hit as being an Elite role. A suspend on a different role being targeted will lead the Mafia to think that role is an Elite because he survived the night. Now the list is polluted with this incorrect role until the player dies.
This depends entirely on what the host chooses to reveal to the mafia. If the host is revealing inconsistent information then that's the hosts' problem, I think. When I targeted Jack who was suspended I was told I couldn't find him. If a RM targeted someone and was told they couldn't find them, then that means the person was suspended. If they target someone and are told the hit was successful, and yet the person doesn't die, then they know they are an elite.
I don't send hit replies, and I doubt anyone got or expected "Your hit is successful!" or "Your hit is unsuccessful!" PMs each night because they don't warrant a PM reply. However, abilities like the Veteran's warrant a PM reply with the results, which is why you get a PM even if your ability was blocked somehow.

Basically, the way I handle these things is as follows: if your night action is supposed to yield a PM result response, I send the response PM (it either has the results or states you were unable to get the results). If your night action is not supposed to yield a PM result response, I don't send anything, regardless of whether it went through or not.

Quote from TiKels
But the thing is, we vastly outplayed you despite being short a man, and should have won.
I don't think one side outplayed the other. They both had good players and some not-so-good players (e.g., Lingie and Norm). The reason one side toppled the other was a balance issue. Don't pat yourself on the back too hard, now. :P

Quote from rayNimagi

TROLLOLOLOLOL
It's sad that it took several days after your original lynch for the town to finally kill you. Town, Y U NO LISTEN TO ME?Like I said earlier, the Devilesk posed no threat to the town at all, so killing him quickly was pointless.

Feb 24 2012, 12:27 am DevliN Post #519

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

Quote from TiKels

Actually that's not quite true. Granted Lanth following Zyco paired with the Zyco clues helped lynch him. For you, though, the "Ts" clue was just great backup to a hunch I already had.

Quote from PM from me to Lanth
I do think TiKels is Mafia, however. He hasn't posted once this whole game, aside from a troll vote during Day 1, and he's usually much more vocal. I'm suspicious of that, and I think based on that behavior alone, he's Mafia.

I have a tendency to do voting/posting analysis each game, and the other two people who were most suspicious to me were Daddywhoo (who seemed to be playing very cautiously) and Wing Zero. Turns out my suspicions of them were correct. Let's also consider that we killed Riney and theoretically Jack because of the clue pointing toward you, and most importantly no one publicly mentioned the "wing" clue until the last day. So sure the clues are painfully obvious, but its not like we all caught on to them immediately.

As for lil-Inferno, I still have yet to see a clue against him (other than my interpretation of the "follow" clue, which is mainly based on my knowledge of who Lanth followed). Lanth PMed me saying he knew lil was the Troll so I just went with that.

And then you guys killed the remaining Mafia member for us.

\:devlin\: Currently Working On: \:devlin\:
My Overwatch addiction.

Feb 24 2012, 12:31 am Roy Post #520

Quote from DevliN
As for lil-Inferno, I still have yet to see a clue against him (other than my interpretation of the "follow" clue, which is mainly based on my knowledge of who Lanth followed). Lanth PMed me saying he knew lil was the Troll so I just went with that.
I don't know if I missed some of Excalibur's clues on him, but here's one of mine:
I had a dream recently about stocking my kitchen; this loss must really be getting to me.

This is referring to the Your weird dream? topic, where Inferno said he dreamt of a game show where parents try to keep their children in the fridge.

Options
Pages: < 1 « 24 25 26 27 >
  Back to forum