Staredit Network > Forums > Null > Topic: Nuclear Power - Y/N?
Nuclear Power - Y/N?
Apr 16 2010, 11:59 pm
By: Super Duper
Pages: < 1 2 3 >

Polls
Should Nuclear Energy be made? Is it worth the risks?
Should Nuclear Energy be made? Is it worth the risks?
Answer Votes Percentage % Voters
#1 Nuclear Power is too dangerous and should not be used. 2

5%
#2 Nuclear Power is clean to the environment and should be used as much as possible. 14

33%
#3 Nuclear Power should be used as long as we pay attention to safety issues. 25

59%
#4 There are other ways to get energy. Solar Panels, Wind Turbines etc. 2

5%
Please login to vote.
Poll has 43 votes. You can vote for at most 1 option(s).

Apr 17 2010, 6:06 am RIVE Post #21

Just Here For The Pie

All you will hear for the next decade is "Go Green".

Sure, I would support Windmill farms, but I hear that people that live near them are strongly against them. Apparently the sounds from the turning drives people insane.

Some power companies have found other solutions. In the six months I worked at Greenergy in Chicago one of the jobs we had was for a power plant that was switching the type of coal they were using to a coal that took longer to burn and at a higher temperature. Despite this, this new coal causes less pollution and has less of a chance of causing acid rain.

None.

Apr 17 2010, 1:29 pm Super Duper Post #22

Quote from RIVE
Sure, I would support Windmill farms, but I hear that people that live near them are strongly against them. Apparently the sounds from the turning drives people insane.
Usually they make them in the plains or in the mountains. Where, you know, not many people, if any, live.

None.

Apr 17 2010, 2:14 pm Ahli Post #23

I do stuff and thingies... Try widening and reducing the number of small nooks and crannies to correct the problem.

Windmill farms are bird killers, too. :(
I guess offshore windmill parks would be the best windmill parks.

Apr 21 2010, 1:49 am Rantent Post #24

I want a ferris windmill.
And also, many small wind generators make more energy more efficiently than large generators do. That would be the intellegent way to go for wind in my opinion.
But other than that Nuclear power makes the most sense.

None.

Apr 24 2010, 4:50 am Falkoner Post #25

But... It provides energy made in the USA and one human in a lifetime only makes about 1 coke can of nuclear waste. So every year, they only have to take the nuclear waste and go bury it in a desert or something.

Actually, it makes MUCH less waste if we'd simply get rid of the stupid laws banning breeder reactors set into place by Carter.. In theory a breeder reactor should be able to create zero waste, obviously it's a bit more in actuality, but it's almost entirely used up.

Nuclear energy all the way, the waste made by creating solar panels outweighs their usefulness, not to mention the amount of space they'd need to take up to produce any significant amount of power is completely ridiculous, even assuming they get perfect energy collection, which they don't, and maintenance is ridiculously excessive for solar panels. I'm fine with Hydropower and Nuclear Power, the latter more than the former, other forms of power are either polluting, or simply ridiculous.

None.

Apr 25 2010, 10:33 pm Aristocrat Post #26

Quote from Falkoner
Actually, it makes MUCH less waste if we'd simply get rid of the stupid laws banning breeder reactors set into place by Carter..

I completely support this. I have no idea why we are not using breeder reactors right now; it is a much more efficient method for using nuclear fuel, providing the same amount of energy for tenths, if not hundredths, of nuclear fuel consumed by other reactor technologies.

None.

Apr 26 2010, 12:35 am poison_us Post #27

Back* from the grave

Shhhh, the government wants you to think that nuclear energy is powerful, but as about as environmentally-friendly as coal, if not more so. With the radiation, and the possibility of contamination from the radioactive waste that will last for thousands of years, there's no way it can possibly be beneficial in the long run :crazy:

Which would be ironic, because last time the government actually gave a damn about the long-term side affects of half of its actions was far before I was born.

Apr 26 2010, 12:51 am Syphon Post #28

There are literally no risks.

Modern nuclear reactors are incapable of having a dangerous meltdown - if a runaway reaction starts, they just stop feeding it fuel, and wait for it to stop. Possible steam explosions are isolated completely.

None.

Apr 26 2010, 2:25 am TiKels Post #29

Quote from Super Duper
Quote from RIVE
Usually they make them in the plains or in the mountains. Where, you know, not many people, if any, live.
FFFFFFFF-

Lol, too bad I live in a mountainous region.

Y'know, if I were the gov, I'd build these breeder reactors, keep em quiet and underground, tell nobody about them, and produce tons of power and just give it away (or sell, w/e), thereby avoiding any sort of threats that may arise by evoking the attention of any crazies.
They probably are already doing that. I don't think the government is as stupid as we think it is sometimes. Either that, or, breeder reactors are more dangerous than we are allowed to know, and not worth building.
*FBI Swoop in sending me to the gulag and simultaneously deleting my post*

"If a topic that clearly interest noone needs to be closed to underline the "we don't want this here" message, is up to debate."

-NudeRaider

Apr 26 2010, 3:06 am Rantent Post #30

Maybe that's why were in such a deficit! Because the government is secretly doing something useful with our money! :D

None.

Apr 26 2010, 8:03 pm poison_us Post #31

Back* from the grave

Quote from TiKels
Y'know, if I were the gov, I'd build these breeder reactors, keep em quiet and underground, tell nobody about them, and produce tons of power and just give it away (or sell, w/e), thereby avoiding any sort of threats that may arise by evoking the attention of any crazies.
Except if this was uncovered, it would evoke the attention of all (competent) citizens, who would undoubtedly raise far more threats than the crazies, in this scenario.

Then again, the government is continually doing illegal things, but nobody raises a finger.

Quote from Rantent
the government is secretly doing something useful with our money! :D
:lol:

Apr 27 2010, 7:49 pm Super Duper Post #32

Quote from poison_us
the government is continually doing illegal things
Like?

None.

Apr 28 2010, 5:18 pm poison_us Post #33

Back* from the grave

Quote from Super Duper
Quote from poison_us
the government is continually doing illegal things
Like?

Please point out where the Constitution states that the following are legal:
  • Social Security
  • Welfare
  • Employment opportunities that the government does not need to sustain itself
  • Wiretapping (yes, Obama allowed the "Patriot" Act to continue)
  • Bailing out corporations that are "too big to fail"
  • Bailing out banks that are "too big to fail"
  • Providing universal health insurance
  • Providing financial aid to post secondary students
  • Providing incentives to scrap old automobiles (and screws over the teenage population, who should have bad cars as their first)
  • Spying on politically active organizations
  • Profiling (see Ron White)
  • Intimidating Critics
Granted, most of these things are beneficial to a group, or at least to someone in a certain situation, and so nobody will try to stop the government from doing these things. There are many more unproven and/or unprovable theories about the government, and if you notice I didn't include those (namely assassination and 9/11 conspiracy theories).

There's a reason that the government is at its least popular ever, and the reason why is because people are becoming far more aware of what Big Brother is doing.

"It's worth noting that Americans expressed their greatest trust in government at a time when media was at its most concentrated and controlled"

The only reason why it can get away with those things is because nobody is doing anything about it. There's undoubtably much more that I'm forgetting, but seeing as I have to leave soon I can't write too much more :(

Apr 28 2010, 5:47 pm CaptainWill Post #34

That is why I dislike fixed constitutions. So inflexible.

If something isn't expressly permitted then it's forbidden?

None.

Apr 28 2010, 6:43 pm Vrael Post #35

Quote from CaptainWill
That is why I dislike fixed constitutions. So inflexible.

If something isn't expressly permitted then it's forbidden?
Poison_us just has no idea what he's talking about. The U.S. Constitution isn't a fixed constitution, there are 27 amendments to date.

Quote from name:U.S. Constitution, Article I, Section 8
The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United States; . . .

To make all Laws which shall be necessary and proper for carrying into Execution the foregoing Powers, and all other Powers vested by this Constitution in the Government of the United States, or in any Department or Officer thereof.
Congress has the power to do all those things, legally. It was Congress that passed the Patriot Act, and Obama has no power to strike it down.

Regarding spying and profiling, the Supreme Court has ruled that the 14th Amendment implies a right to privacy, so Congress would specifically need to pass a constitutional amendment for that to be legal. So yes those two are illegal. As for the Massachusetts link, they're a bunch of dumbasses and would have lost in any court if they had tried to actually litigate against the "Marty" character.

None.

Apr 28 2010, 7:12 pm CaptainWill Post #36

Perhaps "fixed" was the wrong word for me to use.

I was making the US-UK comparison - that is to say that the UK doesn't have a constitution written in a single document and is considerably more flexible as a result:

According to the doctrine of parliamentary sovereignty, Parliament may pass any legislation that it wishes. By contrast, in countries with a codified constitution, the legislature is normally forbidden from passing laws that contradict that constitution: constitutional amendments require a special procedure that is more arduous than that for regular laws.(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Constitution)

Obviously this comes with dangers (what if Parliament abuses its powers?) but it has been largely successful and is balanced somewhat by the power of the courts to exercise independent judgement in interpreting the law.

None.

Apr 28 2010, 9:37 pm poison_us Post #37

Back* from the grave

Quote from Vrael
Poison_us just has no idea what he's talking about. The U.S. Constitution isn't a fixed constitution, there are 27 amendments to date.
And of those 27, in accord with the powers that the various branches are allowed, allows any of these? Also, where did I state that the Constitution is fixed?

And yes, that link was bogus, I put that in there because most people don't care enough to check.

Apr 28 2010, 9:55 pm Vrael Post #38

Quote from poison_us
Quote from Vrael
And of those 27, in accord with the powers that the various branches are allowed, allows any of these? Also, where did I state that the Constitution is fixed?

And yes, that link was bogus, I put that in there because most people don't care enough to check.
Oh I wasn't responding directly to you, I was just clarifying things for captainwill cause he's british. See my quote from Article I, Section 8 for the enunciation in the Constitution of why most of those are legal. Most fall under "provide for the general Welfare"

As for flexible governments, I always think back to the greeks and their vote to continue the war which destroyed them. If something really needed to be fixed in our constitution, we could change it, but I like having safeguards too. For the most part, our law is pretty flexible though. It isn't often that the need really arises for something as powerful as a constitutional amendment.

None.

Apr 28 2010, 10:15 pm CaptainWill Post #39

Was this the Peloponnesian War? The best Greek war. :D

None.

Apr 29 2010, 2:59 am BeDazed Post #40

LETS GO NUCLEAR!
I support nuclear reactors. Especially, Fusion. The research put into controlled fusion reactors is not enough. They need to fund it more to develop a working fusion reactor faster than expected.
Plus, as long as the nuclear reactors around us don't blow up on us, it's fine. And they obviously won't blow up like you expect them to- just because they're nuclear.

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 2 3 >
  Back to forum