Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 Map Showcase > Topic: Release Threads
Release Threads
Oct 30 2007, 1:47 am
By: Moose  

Feb 2 2010, 9:24 pm Aristocrat Post #21

Mm, thanks for the explanation. So a 7v1 map where the 1 player gets massive income would not, therefore, be rigged, since there is no "hidden" trigger involved that only the creator knows.

None.

Feb 2 2010, 9:37 pm ImagoDeo Post #22

Quote from name:doomedrusher
Mm, thanks for the explanation. So a 7v1 map where the 1 player gets massive income would not, therefore, be rigged, since there is no "hidden" trigger involved that only the creator knows.

Such a map might be imbalanced, but it wouldn't be rigged.

None.

Feb 2 2010, 9:57 pm ClansAreForGays Post #23

Both Jaff and Imageo have given bad examples, because their hypothetical rule breaking maps already break the "no stolen maps rule"
- No stolen maps. You risk being banned permanently from Staredit.net.

Basically, the "no rigged maps" rules is an unnecessary redundant rule.

Feb 2 2010, 10:11 pm ImagoDeo Post #24

Quote from ClansAreForGays
Both Jaff and Imageo have given bad examples, because their hypothetical rule breaking maps already break the "no stolen maps rule"
- No stolen maps. You risk being banned permanently from Staredit.net.

Basically, the "no rigged maps" rules is an unnecessary redundant rule.

No, it isn't. A map doesn't have to be stolen to be rigged.

None.

Feb 3 2010, 5:42 pm ClansAreForGays Post #25

You have to steal a map in order to rig it. Your lack of providing examples isn't helping your point.

Feb 3 2010, 6:42 pm Vrael Post #26

You have to steal a map in order to rig it. Your lack of providing examples isn't helping your point.
You could simply make a rigged map yourself... say Norm makes a 'special' version of hero sanctuary that has a special secret only he knows about that gives him 1000000 minerals and 300 invinc lings in the enemy base. He can't have stolen it because he made it, and it's not imbalanced, it's clearly rigged. Hence, as ImagoDeo said, "A map doesn't have to be stolen in order to be rigged."

None.

Feb 3 2010, 6:43 pm ImagoDeo Post #27

Quote from name:Heather Graham
You could simply make a rigged map yourself... say Norm makes a 'special' version of hero sanctuary that has a special secret only he knows about that gives him 1000000 minerals and 300 invinc lings in the enemy base. He can't have stolen it because he made it, and it's not imbalanced, it's clearly rigged. Hence, as ImagoDeo said, "A map doesn't have to be stolen in order to be rigged."

Norm would never do that, of course.

Thanks, Vrael.

None.

Feb 3 2010, 7:06 pm JaFF Post #28

Depends how you define 'steal'. Let's ignore the simple fact that Blizzard owns all our maps and say that an author 'owns' his creation. If you define 'owner' as the person whose name is on the map, you can rig a map without changing the name, hence, without stealing it. You could call that a 'bad/stupid edit'. If you consider the 'owner' to be the person who originally created the map in its unedited form and any edits to it (even if his name is kept on the map) are considered 'stealing', then yes, you must steal a map to rig it.

But by your definition, many maps that were edited for the better are 'rigged'. Which is why Moose wrote what he wrote.

None.

Apr 23 2010, 9:59 pm Azrael Post #29

Quote from ImagoDeo
Quote from name:doomedrusher

Such a map might be imbalanced, but it wouldn't be rigged.
Here's another example, in my old StarCraft 2 map there's actually a 7th race that only I knew about, selected at the beginning like the other races except in a way you couldn't possibly do on accident. I added it mainly to see if I could design another race with the handful of random unused units I had left over, and balanced it properly.

So in this example, even though it's not imbalanced, it would still be rigged?

Apr 24 2010, 2:46 am ImagoDeo Post #30

Quote from name:Azrael666
Here's another example, in my old StarCraft 2 map there's actually a 7th race that only I knew about, selected at the beginning like the other races except in a way you couldn't possibly do on accident. I added it mainly to see if I could design another race with the handful of random unused units I had left over, and balanced it properly.

I would consider that rigged because only you know about it. Rigging a map doesn't always mean you give yourself a huge bonus, it just refers to having something in it that only you know about and only you can use.

None.

Apr 24 2010, 8:59 am Azrael Post #31

Quote from ImagoDeo
Quote from name:Azrael666

I would consider that rigged because only you know about it. Rigging a map doesn't always mean you give yourself a huge bonus, it just refers to having something in it that only you know about and only you can use.
Ah I see, well next time I put it up I guess I'll include a diagram showing how to unlock the extra content :lol:

Oct 12 2013, 5:54 pm checkmate824 Post #32

Quote from ImagoDeo

Now, hold up, if you will;

I am a fan of putting easter eggs in some of my maps, and if I tell how to find them, they aren't easter eggs; so, is that breaking the rules?

None.

Oct 12 2013, 6:46 pm Roy Post #33

An artist's depiction of an Extended Unit Death

I hope you realize you're responding to a conversation from three years ago, and the person you're asking that question to hasn't been on the site for nearly one year now.

Easter eggs aren't breaking the rules. ImagoDeo's definition of rigging would forbid maps like The Puzzling to be hosted here (until people were able to complete the game on bnet, at least), because only the creators knew how to solve each puzzle. I've included several secret mechanisms in my maps, as have many other mappers here.

The "no rigging" rule is more referring to intentionally unbalancing a game while masquerading it to be a balanced game. This was an issue in the past when people would take ("steal") existing maps and modify them to give Player 1 an advantage, and then they would rehost the maps. We don't want those kinds of maps to be in our database.

Oct 14 2013, 11:02 pm checkmate824 Post #34

Thanks, homie!

Cool map you linked, too.

None.

Options
  Back to forum