Staredit Network > Forums > Null > Topic: Not sleeping
Not sleeping
Feb 22 2009, 8:33 am
By: Madroc
Pages: < 1 2 3 >

Feb 22 2009, 7:18 pm Encore Post #21

You know I've had the feeling before. Where you get only 2-4 hours of sleep and you're pumped and wide awake. After doing that get about 6-8. I bet you'll feel like you got hit by a truck.

None.

Feb 22 2009, 8:06 pm poison_us Post #22

Back* from the grave

Quote from NudeRaider
Fact: If you don't sleep, you die.

I read in my psychology book a week or so ago that lab rats which have been forced to stay awake died after about 3 weeks, and I'm sure rats are as capable as we are of microsleep. I really don't think microsleep would be able to keep a person alive for 33 years, even if the lab rats couldn't/didn't microsleep.

EDIT: I think there was something in there about a radio dude who tried it too...but his brain was getting fu˘ked uo after a while, so he had to get some sleep

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Feb 22 2009, 8:13 pm by poison_us.

Feb 22 2009, 8:21 pm NudeRaider Post #23

We can't explain the universe, just describe it; and we don't know whether our theories are true, we just know they're not wrong. >Harald Lesch

Quote from name:Richard Nixons Head
Quote from NudeRaider
Fact: If you don't sleep, you die.

Find me someone who has died from staying awake.
Sleep deprivation of over 7 days with the disk-over-water system results in the development of ulcerative skin lesions, hyperphagia, loss of body mass, hypothermia, and eventually septicemia and death in rats (Everson, 1995; Rechtschaffen et al., 1983).

Feb 22 2009, 8:27 pm Corbo Post #24

ALL PRAISE YOUR SUPREME LORD CORBO

When I am on a regular semester I normally only sleep 2 hours on a day that I actually sleep.

I have had MANY times when I don't sleep at all and my personal record is 83 hours and a couple of minutes without sleeping at all.

This is my cycle when I don't sleep at all
6pm-12pm fine
12pm-3am sleepy/tired
3am-6am you start working twice as as fast if not three times as fast. I can't explain this phenomenom I assume it's most likely because of the pressure because I have to show up to class with the plans.
6am-9am you're still sleepy but "I just woke up sleepy"
10am-3pm Normal, like if you had slept normally.
then in the whole afternoon a terrible headache starts.

What I've noted is that my judgement seems affected by it. I usually do absolutely more random stuff than normal random while not sleeping.
My recommendation if you're gonna attempt something silly like not sleeping is drink water. Lots of water. 2 glasses of water per hour you stay over your sleep time.

fuck you all

Feb 22 2009, 8:35 pm NudeRaider Post #25

We can't explain the universe, just describe it; and we don't know whether our theories are true, we just know they're not wrong. >Harald Lesch

In addition to my last post: Obviously there haven't been studies on humans if they die because of sleep deprivation, but there's studies on the effects and they show that sleep causes brain damage and cell death.
Quote from Studies">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep]Studies investigating the effects of deprivation of active sleep have shown that deprivation early in life can result in behavioral problems, permanent sleep disruption, decreased brain mass (Mirmiran et al. 1983), and an abnormal amount of neuronal cell death (Morrissey, Duntley & Anch, 2004).
If you continue to stay awake what do you think will happen once enough brain mass has died?

Feb 22 2009, 8:39 pm O)FaRTy1billion[MM] Post #26

👻 👾 👽 💪

If I get less than about 10 hours of sleep in a night I'm useless the next day. ;o Not sleeping at all (or getting minimal sleep) makes me so incoherent... Then I start to pass out.

TinyMap2 - Latest in map compression! ( 7/09/14 - New build! )
EUD Action Enabler - Lightweight EUD/EPD support! (ChaosLauncher/MPQDraft support!)
EUDDB - topic - Help out by adding your EUDs! Or Submit reference files in the References tab!
MapSketch - New image->map generator!
EUDTrig - topic - Quickly and easily convert offsets to EUDs! (extended players supported)
SC2 Map Texture Mask Importer/Exporter - Edit texture placement in an image editor!
\:farty\: This page has been viewed [img]http://farty1billion.dyndns.org/Clicky.php?img.gif[/img] times!

Feb 22 2009, 8:41 pm Ultraviolet Post #27

I think from a long term perspective you end up cutting down your lifespan because your body's cells can't regenerate as much.

Feb 22 2009, 8:46 pm NudeRaider Post #28

Quote from name:George W Bush
I think from a long term perspective you end up cutting down your lifespan because your body's cells can't regenerate as much.
Just you are dead before these long-term effects kick in.

Feb 22 2009, 9:01 pm Syphon Post #29

Nude Raider, firstly, those are rats, not people.

Secondly, there are no proven long term effects of moderate sleep deprivation. The world record holder fully recovered.

None.

Feb 22 2009, 9:10 pm O)FaRTy1billion[MM] Post #30

👻 👾 👽 💪

How could you even try to stay up for so long... Unless I am continuously eating and/or moving, I will randomly pass out. I fell asleep while typing one night when I'd stayed up the night before... I also once started falling asleep while stopped in an aisle when pushing a shopping cart. I can only guess that staying up more will make that sort of thing happen more frequently and more severely. Caffeine is also not an option for me as that will make me fall asleep more. ;o I did that yesterday.

TinyMap2 - Latest in map compression! ( 7/09/14 - New build! )
EUD Action Enabler - Lightweight EUD/EPD support! (ChaosLauncher/MPQDraft support!)
EUDDB - topic - Help out by adding your EUDs! Or Submit reference files in the References tab!
MapSketch - New image->map generator!
EUDTrig - topic - Quickly and easily convert offsets to EUDs! (extended players supported)
SC2 Map Texture Mask Importer/Exporter - Edit texture placement in an image editor!
\:farty\: This page has been viewed [img]http://farty1billion.dyndns.org/Clicky.php?img.gif[/img] times!

Feb 22 2009, 9:16 pm Encore Post #31

I don't think it is a good thing when someone who is sleep deprived has to "recover". Just because they aren't people doesn't mean they don't die from the same things. They test drugs on rats before they give them to humans.

None.

Feb 22 2009, 10:15 pm NudeRaider Post #32

Nude Raider, firstly, those are rats, not people.
Have you read my 2nd post?
Quote from NudeRaider
In addition to my last post: Obviously there haven't been studies on humans if they die because of sleep deprivation, but there's studies on the effects and they show that sleep causes brain damage and cell death.
Quote from Studies">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep]Studies investigating the effects of deprivation of active sleep have shown that deprivation early in life can result in behavioral problems, permanent sleep disruption, decreased brain mass (Mirmiran et al. 1983), and an abnormal amount of neuronal cell death (Morrissey, Duntley & Anch, 2004).
If you continue to stay awake what do you think will happen once enough brain mass has died?
Do you read? Cells dying, brain mass decreasing in matter of days. I ask again, where do you think will lead that when you continue? You think it shrinks a little and then becomes stable? C'mon use your head!
So you're trying to tell me that you think because the human brain is more developed than rats brains it can live without sleep? The opposite is the case. The less sophisticated an organism is the more reslilent to such effects it becomes.
If you had read the articles I linked to you would have read that it's just as deadly for humans as for rats. Just no one has tried that in a lab before!

Secondly, there are no proven long term effects of moderate sleep deprivation. The world record holder fully recovered.
Moderate sleep deprivation is something completely different. As I already stated I do believe that there are certain techniques that can keep you alive with considerably less sleep than normally needed. But not without no sleep at all for weeks or more.

Feb 22 2009, 11:18 pm Syphon Post #33

"The world record holder"

As in the person who went the longest without sleep, ever. He had no advise effects after his sleep.

None.

Feb 23 2009, 3:06 am NudeRaider Post #34

"The world record holder"

As in the person who went the longest without sleep, ever. He had no advise effects after his sleep.
Your point?How long did he stay awake?

Please post a link to the article of this case or your words are worthless.

Feb 23 2009, 5:19 am Madroc Post #35

I'm really glad I asked. I was about to start experimenting.

After thinking about it a little, probably the reason the guy had no trouble after 33 years of no sleep is because:
A. He got TONS and TONS of exercise. I mean jeezus.
B. I'd guess he ate extremely healthy. As a loose macrobiotic person, I believe that the healthiest diet one can eat is one of peasants (I'm guessing he ate this way, judging by his description and that I can think of no other conclusion (although I might be considered a biased macrobiotic person)).

I may experiment with health and sleep at some point (CAREFULLY). If it results well, I'll revive this topic.

Could someone link me to a site explaining the whole 2 hours of REM thing?

None.

Feb 23 2009, 5:27 am Toothfariy Post #36

One of my favorite athletes Dean Karnasas sleeps 4 hours each night. Basically he explained that he didnt want to sleep as much as everyone else so he could enjoy his life much more and he says he feels very rejuvinated after only 4 hours of sleep.

So basically he'll get up at 6 a.m. and go run like 10 miles, then he'll shower, eat go to work. When he gets off work at 6 p.m. he will help his kids with whatever they're doing, hw and such, then after they go to bed, he'll go out for another run only he'll be out from 9-2 running. Then he'll get home, and go to bed and do it again the next day.

He says that as far as any doctor has shown, he has extremely healthy vitals and physicque. Some may say that he is a little loopy cause he runs like 40 miles a day, but other than that, the 4 hours of sleep he says is all he needs to have enegry for the day.

None.

Feb 23 2009, 5:50 am Madroc Post #37

Quote from Toothfariy
One of my favorite athletes Dean Karnasas sleeps 4 hours each night. Basically he explained that he didnt want to sleep as much as everyone else so he could enjoy his life much more and he says he feels very rejuvinated after only 4 hours of sleep.

So basically he'll get up at 6 a.m. and go run like 10 miles, then he'll shower, eat go to work. When he gets off work at 6 p.m. he will help his kids with whatever they're doing, hw and such, then after they go to bed, he'll go out for another run only he'll be out from 9-2 running. Then he'll get home, and go to bed and do it again the next day.

He says that as far as any doctor has shown, he has extremely healthy vitals and physicque. Some may say that he is a little loopy cause he runs like 40 miles a day, but other than that, the 4 hours of sleep he says is all he needs to have enegry for the day.
Interesting. So MAYBE physical exercise lessens the amount you have to sleep each day. Which basically means that the lost sleep will net you no extra time (unless you use the extra time to do something physical, like build yourself a well or something). MAYBE this is because you don't really have to have any mental thought while exercising; in that respect it is just like sleeping.

So MAYBE the only reason you need to sleep is to give your mind a rest. Einstein always said he needed his 10 hours without exception. And the 33 year not sleeping guy said that he'd only learned his alphabet, so my guess is that he didn't really need to think hardly at all..

About my above post, I think I changed my mind about trying to experiment with food; my brother eats quite good and he says that he can't do anything without his full 9 hours of sleep every night (he's getting his Ph.D in math - VERY mentally intense).

But I am still interested in that 2 hours of REM thing every day.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Feb 23 2009, 5:58 am by Mallard Fillmore.

None.

Feb 23 2009, 6:01 am Corbo Post #38

ALL PRAISE YOUR SUPREME LORD CORBO

Here's the deal.
When you don't sleep your body starts producing toxins that it's not supposed to be producing. Those toxins have to get out of your body somehow which is why I adviced to drink lots of water, because I know this. Water helps you "delude" this toxin or "dissolve" it if you wish but it doesn't get rid of it. Eventually some of the toxin that was carried on with the water will.. well, go out as pee. But you'll still be producing this toxin.
Working out/excercising works to perfection only because when you work out you sweat and sweating is a cooling/defence mechanism. Defence because it's a method of your body to get rid of toxins you don't need.

At any care we're talking about a professional athelete here. He's probably already used to this lifestyle. Besides the fact that athletes have their heart beatings damn controlled. They could run miles and miles and their hearts would beat like normally unlike, for example, if you started running which would only make you tired and your heart beating so fast it feels like exploding. Which brings back something that Phobos said. Your heart needs a rest, his doesn't because he already has his heart beatings controlled to beat slow. Some athletes are controlled while they're sleep because their hearts simply "stops beating" but it is only beating super slow.

fuck you all

Feb 23 2009, 6:10 am Vi3t-X Post #39

That man is my uncle. :O

If everyone lived like this, we'd all be far more active, less obese, and more productive. This is probably why people in ancient times were so damn productive.

None.

Feb 23 2009, 6:26 am MasterJohnny Post #40

The most I been without sleep is 3-4 days. It was during finals week and I drank tons of monster and stayed up studying. (there were moments where i just passed out for like 15 mins though)

I am a Mathematician

Options
Pages: < 1 2 3 >
  Back to forum