Staredit Network > Forums > Null > Topic: Not sleeping
Not sleeping
Feb 22 2009, 8:33 am
By: Madroc
Pages: < 1 2 3

Feb 23 2009, 6:28 am Madroc Post #41

Quote from Corbo
Here's the deal.
When you don't sleep your body starts producing toxins that it's not supposed to be producing. Those toxins have to get out of your body somehow which is why I adviced to drink lots of water, because I know this. Water helps you "delude" this toxin or "dissolve" it if you wish but it doesn't get rid of it. Eventually some of the toxin that was carried on with the water will.. well, go out as pee. But you'll still be producing this toxin.
Working out/excercising works to perfection only because when you work out you sweat and sweating is a cooling/defence mechanism. Defence because it's a method of your body to get rid of toxins you don't need.

At any care we're talking about a professional athelete here. He's probably already used to this lifestyle. Besides the fact that athletes have their heart beatings damn controlled. They could run miles and miles and their hearts would beat like normally unlike, for example, if you started running which would only make you tired and your heart beating so fast it feels like exploding. Which brings back something that Phobos said. Your heart needs a rest, his doesn't because he already has his heart beatings controlled to beat slow. Some athletes are controlled while they're sleep because their hearts simply "stops beating" but it is only beating super slow.
Thank you!!!!!
So if we could find a way to exercise while studying we'd be awesome.
Edit: Could a treadmill make us amazing? Just whenever you're home, hop on the treadmill to exercise your self while you play video games, study, or eat? Instead of sleeping? (or only get 4 hours rather)

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Feb 23 2009, 6:37 am by Mallard Fillmore.

None.

Feb 23 2009, 12:37 pm Vi3t-X Post #42

Nintendo may have saved our lives after all!

Exercise while playing games.
(Use the mat) when studying
(Use the mat) when eating? :O

None.

Feb 23 2009, 10:29 pm Madroc Post #43

Here's something I found about Polyphasic Sleep.
Reallly interesting. i dunno if I could do it since I have a school schedule.

None.

Feb 23 2009, 10:45 pm Syphon Post #44

Quote from NudeRaider
Quote from name:Richard Nixons Head
"The world record holder"

As in the person who went the longest without sleep, ever. He had no advise effects after his sleep.
Your point?How long did he stay awake?

Please post a link to the article of this case or your words are worthless.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Randy_Gardner_(record_holder)

Your words are worthless, and your ideas on the matter retarded because you're doing nothing but speculating.

None.

Feb 23 2009, 10:54 pm Moose Post #45

We live in a society.

Quote from name:Richard Nixons Head
Your words are worthless, and your ideas on the matter retarded because you're doing nothing but speculating.
Your grammar on the matter retarded.

Feb 23 2009, 11:19 pm Syphon Post #46

Your understanding of the English language is incomplete, and your reading comprehension retarded, because you fail to see that sentence as grammatically correct. Read it aloud. :P

'And' serves as a conjunction that links the sentences "Your words are worthless." and "Your ideas on the matter are retarded", allowing me to remove the second are. I believe that's called a syndeton, but there may be a more precise term. I'm not very good at knowing the names of grammatical rules, just employing them >>

Technically, though, there SHOULD be a serial comma between retarded and because.

None.

Feb 23 2009, 11:40 pm UnholyUrine Post #47

Very interesting. Both that guy and the polyphasic sleep. Especially since my dad does the latter. He always complains that he doesn't have enough sleep, but he's always the last to sleep and first to wake. Yet he always takes naps and stuff... and he seems fine... (Altho i think he takes 1-2 naps a day, and a longer sleep during night)...

A french study once said that the time that you go to sleep does not matter, it is the continual habit of going to sleep at the same time that matters most. Although, other studies said that a certain psychological reaction occurs as the time reaches twelve AM, however this has less premise than the french study.

For me, however, I need my beauty rest... I can't sleep anytime after 12 without feeling groggy and irritable. And usually, if I wasn't bound by school/work, I'd sleep 10 hours a day (lol i did that everyday during the summer break XD)... It feels good =)..

As for the vietnamese farmer, I bet he has microsleep... it's impossible to go on the entire day w/o sleep... He just probably don't know it. Maybe he dreams that he's working lol..

EDIT: This also steps into the topic of Sleepwalking..
It is true, cause i've experienced it at least twice...
Once.. I went back to Hong Kong, and you know how the apartments there are like. If there's a fire, you're dead, since everyone dumps their shit on the staircase. That day, there was a false fire alarm, but I freaked out as the hallway was clogged real badly.
Anyway, that night I slept like a baby. I had to sleep with my mom since we only had 2 beds in HK, and my dad snores like thor's working overtime. The next morning, my mom woke me up and asked if I was okay.. I was like what?

She explained that in the middle of the night, I jumped from one side of the bed, over her, and landed on the floor and was yelling "FIRE FIRE!!". She said she told me that there wasn't any fire, and that I crawled back and went to sleep. Yet, i have ZERO recollection of that...
That's just awesome cause a) I jumped OVER my mom and LANDED on the floor!! b) I was able to listen to my mom even when I was asleep <_<

2. I remember i was dreaming that my parents were dressed in weird costumes and such, and I was running out of my room to find out what's going on.. Then I woke up with a big pain on my neck.. and realized my feet were on my pillow, and my head was on the bed frame where my feet are supposed to be.. Freaky.. plus I had a sore neck for the day.. :C..

EDIT: Forgot to elaborate: It could be that the farmer is sleepwalking :O

Post has been edited 2 time(s), last time on Feb 23 2009, 11:58 pm by UnholyUrine.

None.

Feb 24 2009, 12:00 am Syphon Post #48

Unholy, if you go to bed at 12, you're getting no beautysleep, as beautysleep is technically sleep before midnight. :P

None.

Feb 24 2009, 6:04 am FatalException Post #49

I plan on experimenting with polyphasic sleep for my senior project. It will be awesome. :P

None.

Feb 24 2009, 6:10 am Madroc Post #50

Quote from FatalException
I plan on experimenting with polyphasic sleep for my senior project. It will be awesome. :P
Awesome!
How are you going to fit your schedule around it??

None.

Feb 26 2009, 1:38 am Toothfariy Post #51

Quote from Corbo
At any care we're talking about a professional athelete here. He's probably already used to this lifestyle. Besides the fact that athletes have their heart beatings damn controlled. They could run miles and miles and their hearts would beat like normally unlike, for example, if you started running which would only make you tired and your heart beating so fast it feels like exploding. Which brings back something that Phobos said. Your heart needs a rest, his doesn't because he already has his heart beatings controlled to beat slow. Some athletes are controlled while they're sleep because their hearts simply "stops beating" but it is only beating super slow.

you dont have to be a professional athlete for this. im in no respects a pro athlete, but i run a lot as well though. my resting heart rate is fairly low and i usually go off of 5 hours of sleep per day. I think it could be because at the end of a run, your muscles are expended and you're a little fatigued, so your body wants rest, so you get to sleep fast, and the sleep you get is very restorative.

And i agree that we as a society need to be a lot more active -.- its always shocking to me to see how some people are; its just excessive.

and by the way, if you're running correctly, your heart shouldnt feel like its pounding out of your chest, unless you're sprinting, which isnt really the running that dean or i do.

None.

Feb 26 2009, 3:14 am poison_us Post #52

Back* from the grave

Quote from toothfariy
its just excessive.

Just a tad. [rant]

American lifestyle is crappy as hell. Legal systems are fucked up. Healthcare sucks the balls. All this is because every individual believes the rest of the world should be consumed by their life.[/rant]

Other than that, not sleeping is bad. Studies have established that. Now, the premise of that polyphasic sleep is freaking amazing. I will actually have a reason as to why I sleep while we take notes in chemistry!

Feb 26 2009, 3:17 am Toothfariy Post #53

for some reason, i dont think your chem professor would agree with you there

the only real flaw with that sleeping system, is work. you have to work at scheduled times and are most of the time, required to do work the entire time lol

None.

Feb 26 2009, 6:17 pm NudeRaider Post #54

We can't explain the universe, just describe it; and we don't know whether our theories are true, we just know they're not wrong. >Harald Lesch

I've read the polyhasic sleep reports. They were very interesting. He even preferred that way of sleeping. He did it for like 4-5 months and felt great.
The reason why he returned to monophasic (normal) sleep schedule is that everyone around him is monophasic.
In the nights he felt alone and bored. And in the days he had less time with his wife, because he had to take naps.

At least he proved that it's a totally viable way of cutting sleep and thus gaining more time. The only problem is that you have to spend that time alone and lose a little daytime.

Feb 27 2009, 2:20 am poison_us Post #55

Back* from the grave

Quote from Toothfariy
for some reason, i dont think your chem professor would agree with you there

nah, he's cool
His class is out of 150 points before our exams [exams=1/4 of total grade], and he gives about 30 points of extra credit. Basically, if you take his class and can't get exempted from the exam [you must have an A], you fail at life. Speaking of which, it was today, and it was apparently really really hard.

My opinion on that is because the people who took it are braindead morons who attempted to live without any sleep at all, and they couldn't think straight because every time they saw the question mark, their brain was so tired that they hallucinated falling into the dot at the bottom like it's a minute black hole.

My opinion on the person who said it was easy: polyphasic sleep cycle FTW

Feb 27 2009, 6:34 am Madroc Post #56

Do you think that doing polyphasic sleep for 1-2 months during the summer and then returning to normal for school would train your body to sleep more efficiently? i.e perhaps you could get 5 hours instead of 8 because you fall into REM faster or something?

None.

Feb 27 2009, 7:19 am NudeRaider Post #57

We can't explain the universe, just describe it; and we don't know whether our theories are true, we just know they're not wrong. >Harald Lesch

Quote from name:Mallard Fillmore
Do you think that doing polyphasic sleep for 1-2 months during the summer and then returning to normal for school would train your body to sleep more efficiently? i.e perhaps you could get 5 hours instead of 8 because you fall into REM faster or something?
You don't seem to get the concept.
The answer would be a no.

But the reports I read seem to indicate that you can achieve a meet in the middle: Cut some hours of sleep and add 1 or 2 power naps across your day. Haven't read long-term reports about that however. It was only done during the transition of sleep modes.

Feb 27 2009, 7:25 pm poison_us Post #58

Back* from the grave

I really don't sleep like a normal person, and thinking about it just now kinda makes me feel weird.
I get 3-4 hours of sleep on average, and I feel great.
Yet I sleep in [about 6 hours] on Sundays and feel like sh!t.
I've actually been getting up earlier, and going to bed at the same time, so I'm sleeping less, but still feeling great. Actually better than normal; I don't fall asleep in 4th period anymore, and I've had better overall health.
Anyone know how that can happen?

Feb 27 2009, 8:27 pm NudeRaider Post #59

I don't know how, but I think many of us had a phase in their life where they slept less and partied more.
Probably the adults are right when they tell us it isn't very healthy, but hey, we are still young and we somehow manage.

This phase however will be over when you work and have more responsibilites. The body is just not able to endure the increased load AND sleep deprivation. Enjoy it as long as you can. ;)
Also keep in mind some people just need less sleep than others.

Sleeping less but feeling better? Works for me only for a few days. After that my body just demands rest and takes it if I don't give it willingly. Shifting your sleeping period to be earlier or later however, may help increasing sleep quality. Everyone has different times when he sleeps best.

Better overall health? Coincidence?

Options
Pages: < 1 2 3
  Back to forum