Staredit Network > Forums > Null > Topic: Typing speed test
Typing speed test
Sep 4 2011, 11:01 pm
By: Adeon
Pages: < 1 2 3 4 >

Sep 5 2011, 7:33 am DT_Battlekruser Post #21

I don't know what all the fuss is.. I do not homerow touch-type and occasionally have to look at the keyboard and I can do 90 wpm easily. I can't imagine that actually learning to type rather than only using the index finger of my left hand with my right is any slower...

None.

Sep 5 2011, 7:37 am Fire_Kame Post #22

wth is starcraft

This is hard to follow. I wish I could see the whole "paragraph" at one time instead of it jumping every two lines. Too confusing. Granted, I type best when I'm totally zoned out off of the screen and real life. When I was in lectures I'd type my notes with my eyes closed. :P

Sep 5 2011, 7:43 am O)FaRTy1billion[MM] Post #23

👻 👾 👽 💪

Quote from DT_Battlekruser
I do not homerow touch-type and occasionally have to look at the keyboard and I can do 90 wpm easily.
That's what I was trying to argue for. ;o

Also I was complaining about the same thing, Kame. xD That's why I'd prefer a free-type thing that just makes sure you aren't typing the same thing over and over and are actually typing words.

TinyMap2 - Latest in map compression! ( 7/09/14 - New build! )
EUD Action Enabler - Lightweight EUD/EPD support! (ChaosLauncher/MPQDraft support!)
EUDDB - topic - Help out by adding your EUDs! Or Submit reference files in the References tab!
MapSketch - New image->map generator!
EUDTrig - topic - Quickly and easily convert offsets to EUDs! (extended players supported)
SC2 Map Texture Mask Importer/Exporter - Edit texture placement in an image editor!
\:farty\: This page has been viewed [img]http://farty1billion.dyndns.org/Clicky.php?img.gif[/img] times!

Sep 5 2011, 10:03 am Lanthanide Post #24

I used to type out song-lyrics in real-time. That'd be a way to type out something that is real words without having to look at it them on a screen. All you'd need is a word processor.

None.

Sep 5 2011, 12:26 pm NicholasBeige Post #25

Quote from Sacrieur
Quote from name:Cardinal
Quote from Sacrieur
A touch-typist is skilled if he can type 60 wpm (300 ks/m). Typists that can reach into the 120 wpm (600 ks/m) range are extremely talented. That book is loony. My mother has been touch-typing for almost a year and she can only pull off 40 wpm-- the author is failing to take into account the people who do not spend 40-60 hours on the internet per week.
mothafuck. 120 wpm? Don't make me go all Dvorak on yo' ass, aight? Easily 200+

Barbara Blackburn could only manage a peak of 213 wpm, and she used Dvorak.
Yeah. Anything <130 is 'really fast' for QWERTY. But pretty laughable on Dvorak. I used to use the Dvorak key setup when I used to transcribe for a professor emeritus who visited our school, I remember averaging around 190-200.

Interesting factoids:
  • the word 'typewriter' is the longest English word able to be written from a single row of keys on a QWERTY keyboard.
  • the typewriters' mechanical method of hammering keys onto paper is the result of the QWERTY layout. Key placement was constructed to minimise the hammers locking or crossing paths.
  • QWERTY layout has over 3000 words that can be typed by the 'left' hand alone. And only 300 that can be typed by the 'right' hand only.
  • 'minimum' is a 'right handed' word. Using your left hand to hit any of those keys would be epic fail.

None.

Sep 5 2011, 1:05 pm Sand Wraith Post #26

she/her

You reached 329 points, so you achieved position 10944 of 269251 on the ranking list

You type 488 characters per minute
You have 83 correct words and
you have 3 wrong words

Out of three tries. I'm slow.

Sep 5 2011, 1:12 pm EzDay281 Post #27

Quote from Fire_Kame
WHY IS THIS FAMILIAR

LIKE WE'VE HAD THIS TOPIC BEFORE?
I originally wasn't going to post in here under the assumption everyone would just be pointing at the old thread ...

You reached 457 points, so you achieved position 908 of 269554 on the ranking list
You type 588 characters per minute
You have 106 correct words and
you have 0 wrong words
I agree with Farty. I've done another typing test, not sure if it's the same as this one, which also does the "page of words at a time", and I always pause for a moment when it switches. And I'm used to correcting my own errors, sometimes after I finish typing the word, so not being able to screws me up a bit too.

Personally, I don't know how I type. I assume it's pretty similar to "standard", though, from what I've seen. Just lazier and accomodating of my particular finger lengths and whathaveyou.

None.

Sep 5 2011, 2:05 pm ClansAreForGays Post #28

Quote from O)FaRTy1billion[MM]
That makes this even worse. There are spaces, these are incoherent mass of words that takes way too much thought to process and all of it is just pain and frustration during the whole thing.

No it isn't. It doesn't scroll, it just jumps to a new list keeping the last word and breaks any sort of flow that may have been. (-> "And when you reach the end it throws me off because it just jumps to a new thing.")
And if you mess up a word it disappears and turns red above and you can't fix it, ever. Very distracting.

EDIT:
Tried without pressing space ... nothing was happening so I stopped it. (what the hell were you talking about?)

Again, just let me free-type and then use a dictionary to make sure I'm typing real and varied words (and possibly sentences). That seems like it would give a better result for how fast you are able to type, since there is no finding/reading/processing of words that you see and then try to translate that to typing.
This.

Sep 5 2011, 2:28 pm Sacrieur Post #29

Still Napping

the problem is that Dvoraks never caught on =/

I found the problem with my typing. I had moved from a laptop to a regular ergonomic. I am still used to the laptop, and when I get the money I'll get a keyboard with really flat keys.

None.

Sep 5 2011, 3:14 pm NicholasBeige Post #30

Quote from Sacrieur
the problem is that Dvoraks never caught on =/

I found the problem with my typing. I had moved from a laptop to a regular ergonomic. I am still used to the laptop, and when I get the money I'll get a keyboard with really flat keys.

There can only be one.

None.

Sep 5 2011, 3:21 pm l)ark_ssj9kevin Post #31

Just here for the activity... well not really

Touch Typing:
You reached 251 points, so you achieved position 34179 of 274648 on the ranking list

You type 375 characters per minute
You have 65 correct words and
you have 3 wrong words
Two-finger:
You reached 301 points, so you achieved position 17357 of 274980 on the ranking list

You type 462 characters per minute
You have 76 correct words and
you have 8 wrong words

I usually use two-finger, like Farty and DTBK, and only recently started touchtyping, so yeah.

guy lifting weight (animated smiley):

O-IC
OI-C

"Oh, I see it"

Sep 5 2011, 4:15 pm TiKels Post #32

I use a pretty odd keyboard. The Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 v1.0. Lol whatthefux who names a keyboard that.

The most interesting aspect is the split, as the number "6" is supposed to be typed with the right hand, but in this arrangement it is put on the left side. This design causes problems on some games where keys like "Y" and "N" are used to create cyber cores and nexuses. But I love the music "play/pause" button because it actually works with most music programs and doesn't require that it's the top program. Volume and mute are also helpful. Still no clue what "Zoom" does.

"If a topic that clearly interest noone needs to be closed to underline the "we don't want this here" message, is up to debate."

-NudeRaider

Sep 5 2011, 4:16 pm Dem0n Post #33

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

Ew, how can you only use two fingers to type? It's so... weird. :crazy: I mess up so much more when I only use two fingers.

Sep 5 2011, 4:39 pm The_UrChai Post #34

Quote from TiKels
I use a pretty odd keyboard. The most interesting aspect is the split, as the number "6" is supposed to be typed with the right hand, but in this arrangement it is put on the left side. This design causes problems on some games where keys like "Y" and "N" are used to create cyber cores and nexuses. But I love the music "play/pause" button because it actually works with most music programs and doesn't require that it's the top program. Volume and mute are also helpful. Still no clue what "Zoom" does.
I have a non-ergonomic keyboard that has the play, stop, fast forward. I use it so often. It has a few buttons I never use. I can't type on anything but a flat keyboard. I do type very oddly. I can type normally with my left hand but I use my right index finger only. Comes from playing the piano I guess. Chords on the left, and single notes on the right.

None.

Sep 5 2011, 5:27 pm Oh_Man Post #35

Find Me On Discord (Brood War UMS Community & Staredit Network)

First Try:
You reached 456 points, so you achieved position 934 of 279509 on the ranking list

You type 632 characters per minute
You have 113 correct words and
you have 6 wrong words

Second Try:
You reached 509 points, so you achieved position 324 of 279605 on the ranking list

You type 658 characters per minute
You have 121 correct words and
you have 1 wrong words

I was the fastest typer in my school, I have never met someone who can type faster than me, though I have heard about them. Keep in mind the lady who won Guiness didn't use QWERTY, I believe, but some other more efficient keyboard. The highest score I can ever remember having is 128wpm with 99% accuracy. I have never heard of this keystroke per minute thing though, link me to a test?

Sep 5 2011, 7:24 pm O)FaRTy1billion[MM] Post #36

👻 👾 👽 💪

Quote from name:Dem0nS1ayer
Ew, how can you only use two fingers to type? It's so... weird. :crazy: I mess up so much more when I only use two fingers.
I used to use two fingers (hunt-and-peck) ... How I type is basically a variant of that where I use the closest finger to the key I want to type next (hunt and peck, using additional fingers). Left hand I basically use all of my fingers (some significantly more than others, though). It seems that with my right hand I only use my index finger for keys, I'll use my ring finger to hit the keys in the top right corner (basckspace, -, = [, ], \, sometimes p, etc.), and my pinky for shift. Now if I type for a while, I will probably find that it is a little more complicated than that (as I said earlier, every time I find trends in how I type they end up being wrong)...

Also you can just free type into this and then just add the wrong words and correct words together ... You wont find accuracy and your placement will be tremendously low, but you can ignore the crap. xD
Also I had a typing class in jr. high and I remember my WPM peaking at around 160, and always above 130 when speed-testing. :\ I used to often say (due to popular conversation between people I guess) "I have no idea how much I can bench press, but I can type faster than my body weight in words-per-minute.".

Post has been edited 2 time(s), last time on Sep 5 2011, 7:30 pm by FaRTy1billion.

TinyMap2 - Latest in map compression! ( 7/09/14 - New build! )
EUD Action Enabler - Lightweight EUD/EPD support! (ChaosLauncher/MPQDraft support!)
EUDDB - topic - Help out by adding your EUDs! Or Submit reference files in the References tab!
MapSketch - New image->map generator!
EUDTrig - topic - Quickly and easily convert offsets to EUDs! (extended players supported)
SC2 Map Texture Mask Importer/Exporter - Edit texture placement in an image editor!
\:farty\: This page has been viewed [img]http://farty1billion.dyndns.org/Clicky.php?img.gif[/img] times!

Sep 5 2011, 7:45 pm Fire_Kame Post #37

wth is starcraft

Here's the old topic. It links to a typing test of actually paragraphs.

Here's the other typing test.

Sep 5 2011, 7:47 pm DT_Battlekruser Post #38

Haha, I'm the reverse of that. I use almost all the fingers on my right hand to reach most of the keys on the keyboard (maybe a little over half), and then only the index finger on my left hand to hit keys on that side of the keyboard.

None.

Sep 5 2011, 8:03 pm TiKels Post #39

Go back to the first page and compare me and inf's score.

I got one more incorrect word and 30-40 more characters. Inf got in like the 3k's, i got in like the 5k's.

Wtfux

"If a topic that clearly interest noone needs to be closed to underline the "we don't want this here" message, is up to debate."

-NudeRaider

Sep 5 2011, 9:44 pm Lanthanide Post #40

Ranking is based on points. He got many more points than you. Points definitely seems to take into account errors on words, and I would guess it probably takes into account the difficulty of words, with more difficult words having both more characters as well as higher point scores. I typoed 'mountain' quite a few times for some reason, and there's also India and America with capitals which will undoubtedly have higher points than the other words on average.

Further to Cardinal's interesting factoids:
stewardesses is the longest word that can be typed with only the left hand.

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 2 3 4 >
  Back to forum