Staredit Network > Forums > Portal News > Topic: SC2 Custom Map Storage Limits Increased
SC2 Custom Map Storage Limits Increased
Jun 15 2011, 10:54 am
By: Ahli
Pages: < 1 2 3

Jun 19 2011, 5:54 pm Ahli Post #41

I do stuff and thingies... Try widening and reducing the number of small nooks and crannies to correct the problem.

A 100mb sc1 map should be filled with sound files.
SC1 could only support .wav files. SC2 can support .ogg. Which means that the file size can be cut pretty much. And you can still play around with the sound quality to cut it more.

I think I have more than 1 hour of sound files within my 17mb.

Jun 19 2011, 8:49 pm Roy Post #42

An artist's depiction of an Extended Unit Death

Quote from TiKels
It still was slowed down extremely compared to almost any other game, which usually has a pirate out within the week of release (or before). I'm sure they made SLIGHTLY higher profits because of people who said "Wow no pirate? Guess I'm gonna have to buy it".
Err, no. The ability to play melee games against AI was available for pirates since the beta, and the campaign was first cracked (I believe) six days after the official release (although some things like cut scenes weren't available). It was pretty standard timing. Of course, the hype of the game certainly helped speed along the cracking process.

I also disagree with your assumption of pirate mentality. If someone's waiting for a movie to get on the torrent sites, they often only have to wait the day after the release for a Cam quality version. However, several people will not watch it until there is a ts/rip/r5, and even then, it depends on the quality. If they wanted to see the movie really badly, they would have gone to the theater; since that is not the case, they're able to wait for a good quality before watching it. In the same respect, only those who really wanted SC2 would go buy it, and those who are less enthusiastic about it would wait until a decent crack comes out. If sales were improved, it would be by an insignificant amount.

Back on topic, if you ran out of publishing space, couldn't you get a friend to publish a map on their account? If this limit is indeed reached and you don't want to take down any of your published maps, this would be a reasonable solution. And if you present the issue when it occurs, Blizzard would probably then acknowledge that the limit is still too small and consider increasing it.

Jun 20 2011, 12:05 am TiKels Post #43

Quote from Roy
Quote from TiKels
It still was slowed down extremely compared to almost any other game, which usually has a pirate out within the week of release (or before). I'm sure they made SLIGHTLY higher profits because of people who said "Wow no pirate? Guess I'm gonna have to buy it".
Err, no. The ability to play melee games against AI was available for pirates since the beta, and the campaign was first cracked (I believe) six days after the official release (although some things like cut scenes weren't available). It was pretty standard timing. Of course, the hype of the game certainly helped speed along the cracking process.
You're probably right, my memory isn't the best. But whatever, I just remember samsizzle talking about trying to get it but it not working so.... eh.

"If a topic that clearly interest noone needs to be closed to underline the "we don't want this here" message, is up to debate."

-NudeRaider

Jun 20 2011, 10:45 pm IskatuMesk Post #44

Lord of the Locker Room

Quote from Ahli
A 100mb sc1 map should be filled with sound files.
SC1 could only support .wav files. SC2 can support .ogg. Which means that the file size can be cut pretty much. And you can still play around with the sound quality to cut it more.

I think I have more than 1 hour of sound files within my 17mb.

Only 1 hour? Try voicing a total conversion. Add in some event dialogue.

Oh, yeah. That map only has a few things in it. I will not confirm or deny that they involve horses.

.wav compresses pretty decently inside a map/mpq.

Show them your butt, and when you do, slap it so it creates a sound akin to a chorus of screaming spider monkeys flogging a chime with cacti. Only then can you find your destiny at the tip of the shaft.

Jun 20 2011, 11:33 pm TiKels Post #45

I'm no techie but isn't .wav supposed to be like... super uncompressed? I know you can compress it more but I would assume that other filetypes do it better?

"If a topic that clearly interest noone needs to be closed to underline the "we don't want this here" message, is up to debate."

-NudeRaider

Jun 20 2011, 11:44 pm DevliN Post #46

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

Quote from TiKels
I'm no techie but isn't .wav supposed to be like... super uncompressed? I know you can compress it more but I would assume that other filetypes do it better?
Yes and yes.

\:devlin\: Currently Working On: \:devlin\:
My Overwatch addiction.

Jun 21 2011, 12:00 am IskatuMesk Post #47

Lord of the Locker Room

.wav is "uncompressed" you can say, but mpqs and maps compress things that go into them (the uncompressed data for that map exceeds 120 megs). However, you get diminishing returns when compressing. So, compressing things like mp3s and oggs does not work nearly as well as .wav.

A lot of games still use .wav internally and compress it externally (through archives or other formats). Others use oggs. WoW uses both randomly. :D

Then you get into M$ and EA formats and all sorts of crazy weird shit starts happening.

Show them your butt, and when you do, slap it so it creates a sound akin to a chorus of screaming spider monkeys flogging a chime with cacti. Only then can you find your destiny at the tip of the shaft.

Jun 21 2011, 11:21 am Ahli Post #48

I do stuff and thingies... Try widening and reducing the number of small nooks and crannies to correct the problem.

Quote from IskatuMesk
.wav compresses pretty decently inside a map/mpq.
In the mpqs, wavs are only better if the sound file is really small. ogg is the better choice for nearly everything.
At least that's how it works in my case.

Quote from IskatuMesk
Only 1 hour? Try voicing a total conversion. Add in some event dialogue.
I think they would have to reserve 1tb for your work ;D

Jun 21 2011, 1:15 pm IskatuMesk Post #49

Lord of the Locker Room

oggs are the better choice still yes, I'm just saying that the difference between wav and ogg once inside your archive isn't as colossal as some people are making it out to be. I still regularly jack up my mod sizes to ridiculous levels with ogg-based sfx and music.

They don't need to reserve anything, I have my own webspace ;D

Options
Pages: < 1 2 3
  Back to forum