Staredit Network > Forums > Null > Topic: The Killer's Game #2
The Killer's Game #2
Sep 29 2010, 3:19 am
By: Azrael
Pages: < 1 « 2 3 4 5 619 >

Oct 1 2010, 9:48 pm Azrael Post #61

By the way, for this game turns will be a set length of time, equivalent to 3 actions and 1 movement (4 "slots").

If you say "Wait the length of time it would take someone to perform 3 actions," you will only have 1 "slot" remaining.

You still have a maximum of 3 actions and 1 movement. You can fill unused "slots" with waiting.

You can use a movement to move to another area of the same room, if you want to. By default it uses an action.

Post has been edited 3 time(s), last time on Oct 1 2010, 10:56 pm by Azrael.Wrath.

Oct 1 2010, 9:54 pm LoTu)S Post #62

Quote from name:Azrael.Wrath
By the way, for this game I'm going to make each turn 3 actions and 1 movement long.

Example: If you say "Kill anyone that enters," then someone else uses 3 actions and moves into the room with you, you won't have time to attack them. You will have wasted all 4 of your "slots" just waiting for them.

You still have a maximum of 3 actions and 1 movement. You can fill unused "slots" with waiting.

You can use a movement to move to another area of the same room, if you want to. By default it would use an action.

Can you explain it a bit more? :awesome:

So If I do:

*Observe room
*equip this
*Move
*Examine room

and some1 does this:
*Kill any1 who enters
*Kill any1 who enters
*Kill any1 who enters

would I die?

None.

Oct 1 2010, 9:59 pm Azrael Post #63

It'll work the same way as last game, everything's the same. The only difference is you can't say "If anyone enters, kill them" and have it last forever. It will last until the end of the turn, which is 4 "slots" long.

In your example, if you use 2 actions and then move, and the person in the next room just said "Kill anyone that enters," and you have no defensive actions, then yes you will die depending on how well they're trying to kill you. If you use 3 actions before moving, then you'll have no defensive actions available.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Oct 1 2010, 10:51 pm by Azrael.Wrath.

Oct 1 2010, 10:03 pm Neki Post #64

It'll work the same way as last game, everything's the same. The only difference is you can't say "If anyone enters, kill them" and have it last forever. It will last until the end of the turn, which is 4 "slots" long.

In your example, if you use 2 actions and then move, and the person in the next room just said "Kill anyone that enters," and you have no defensive actions, then yes you will die depending on how well they're trying to kill you.

So does everyone's turn happen all at once? What determines if the person arrives during my "kill anyone that enters x3" phase or if they arrive after I've exhausted all my actions?

None.

Oct 1 2010, 10:06 pm Aristocrat Post #65

Terrible change, imo. It makes people who move as the last thing they do completely invulnerable.

None.

Oct 1 2010, 10:06 pm The Starport Post #66

So you decided against allowing spanning wait actions this time?

Yeah I wasn't really sure if those were even a good idea or not. :ermm: That is, I'm not really sure that layer of exploitability really adds much, considering what just the normal 3 actions allows to take place already. Plus it seemed like punishment to players who aren't attempting to game the system itself. :crazy:

P.S. With this change, you might want to allow a "null" action that takes up neither movement nor action space, usable as long as the actions/movements aren't already filled up. Or else be able to say "do this on action 1, do this on action 3" or something to that effect.

None.

Oct 1 2010, 10:08 pm LoTu)S Post #67

So my actions last TKG would still be valid? :awesome:

None.

Oct 1 2010, 10:16 pm Wing Zero Post #68

Magic box god; Suck it Corbo

what if my action is: "do these things, if anyone comes in stop my current actions and kill them.

Oct 1 2010, 10:26 pm Azrael Post #69

Quote from Neki
So does everyone's turn happen all at once?

Yes. Everyone's first action takes place at the same time as everyone else's first action, etc. Each slot lines up.

Quote from Aristocrat
Terrible change, imo. It makes people who move as the last thing they do completely invulnerable.

Good point, I'm going to change it to address this concern.

Quote from name:Tuxedo-Templar
Yeah I wasn't really sure if those were even a good idea or not. :ermm: That is, I'm not really sure that layer of exploitability really adds much, considering what just the normal 3 actions allows to take place already. Plus it seemed like punishment to players who aren't attempting to game the system itself. :crazy:

Which is the reason I'm trying this change :P

Quote from name:Tuxedo-Templar
P.S. With this change, you might want to allow a "null" action that takes up neither movement nor action space, usable as long as the actions/movements aren't already filled up. Or else be able to say "do this on action 1, do this on action 3" or something to that effect.

"You still have a maximum of 3 actions and 1 movement. You can fill unused "slots" with waiting."

If someone says "Wait a moment" (or has any reference to waiting) and has a total of 3 "slots" filled, then I'll assume it to mean they want to fill that "slot" with a null action as you're describing. The method of saying "do X for action 1 and Y for action 3" would work as well.

Quote from LoTu)S
So my actions last TKG would still be valid? :awesome:

Yes, except for the part where you knocked Aristocrat unconscious as he entered the room. That was at the end of the turn, and thus you wouldn't have been able to react to him entering.

As I said, if anyone believes that the last action in the turn should be able to react to someone entering the room with you at the end of the turn, then let me know. Thinking about it, it may make more sense like that.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Oct 1 2010, 10:50 pm by Azrael.Wrath.

Oct 1 2010, 10:31 pm Apos Post #70

I order you to forgive yourself!

Sign me in, I want to see how this goes. (I may make a better Avatar... Maybe)

Oct 1 2010, 10:35 pm The Starport Post #71

The method of saying "do X for action 1 and Y for action 3" would work as well.
If a defensive action triggers in the slot for action 2 (and only 1 defensive action), it prevents the action that would have been allowed to have gone in slot 4 otherwise, right?

None.

Oct 1 2010, 10:37 pm LoTu)S Post #72

Oh I see, so hypothetically, if I did:
*Move into the room
*Examine
*Observe
*If some1 enters kill.

and some1 did
*Observe
*Examine
*Examine
*Move to next room.

Then the slot 4's would align and I would kill?

None.

Oct 1 2010, 10:37 pm Roy Post #73

An artist's depiction of an Extended Unit Death

I don't want the waits to create more work from my end. If I say this:

1. If Wing Zero needs a hand throwing Aristocrat's corpse into the dumpster, give him a hand.
2. Wait for the fire to cook the food.
3. Eat the food.

I still want my helping Wing action to eventually run when it's valid, regardless if I'm in the state of waiting for the fire or eating the food. Would this pan out properly at any stage of the turn, or would there be a problem?

Oct 1 2010, 10:47 pm Azrael Post #74

Quote from LoTu)S
Oh I see, so hypothetically, if I did:
*Move into the room
*Examine
*Observe
*If some1 enters kill.

and some1 did
*Observe
*Examine
*Examine
*Move to next room.

Then the slot 4's would align and I would kill?

Yeah, that's how it will work. I'm going to take Aristocrat's suggestion and edit my previous statements to reflect this.

Quote from Roy
I don't want the waits to create more work from my end. If I say this:

1. If Wing Zero needs a hand throwing Aristocrat's corpse into the dumpster, give him a hand.
2. Wait for the fire to cook the food.
3. Eat the food.

I still want my helping Wing action to eventually run when it's valid, regardless if I'm in the state of waiting for the fire or eating the food. Would this pan out properly at any stage of the turn, or would there be a problem?

Let's say you were waiting 2 actions for the fire, now you have time for 2 actions left. You cook the food, and have 1 action left. If Wing needs a hand throwing Aristocrat's corpse into the dumpster, then you'll do that. Now you don't have time to eat the food.

Oct 1 2010, 10:52 pm LoTu)S Post #75

So can I add a:
*Sprint north then south.?
lol :awesome:

None.

Oct 1 2010, 10:59 pm Azrael Post #76

Quote from LoTu)S
So can I add a:
*Sprint north then south.?
lol :awesome:

You can't sprint out, turn around, and sprint back in. I doubt there would be much advantage to it anyways.

Simple version: Each turn is now a set length of time, equivalent to the time it takes for 3 actions and 1 movement.

Everything still functions identically to the way it did last game, and in 99% of situations, nothing will change.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Oct 1 2010, 11:05 pm by Azrael.Wrath.

Oct 1 2010, 11:03 pm Tempz Post #77

You make stupid inventions lol...

-Aerosol can + fire (lighter?) = Flamethrower

-Pipes (with twisted inside) + bolt action lever (scavenged from a door) + improvised cigar maker to make bullets = Gun
Gun + A modified magnifying glass = Gun with scope
Gun + Broken metal shard = Gun attached with bonnet

-Halogen Lights + Many reflective surfaces reflected to more reflective surfaces + person knocking out the lights = Instant blindness machine

-Chemical fertilizer (ammonia + saltpeter compounds) + release switch such as burning it from a trapped source such as newspaper

Just some of my inventions when i make em...

None.

Oct 1 2010, 11:10 pm Roy Post #78

An artist's depiction of an Extended Unit Death

Let's say you were waiting 2 actions for the fire, now you have time for 2 actions left. You cook the food, and have 1 action left. If Wing needs a hand throwing Aristocrat's corpse into the dumpster, then you'll do that. Now you don't have time to eat the food.
Alright, but say Wing needs the hand on the fourth action or something because he's walking into the room. Would my actions exhaust before I get to help Wing with Aristocrat's corpse, and therefore I don't help him? I would like it so that my actions are prioritized by order, so if my first action would be triggered at any point during the turn, it should most definitely run.

Oct 1 2010, 11:16 pm Azrael Post #79

Quote from Roy
Alright, but say Wing needs the hand on the fourth action or something because he's walking into the room. Would my actions exhaust before I get to help Wing with Aristocrat's corpse, and therefore I don't help him?

If he entered on the third action, then everything would still happen as described above.

If he entered on the fourth action, then you'd eat your food and neither of you would be throwing the body anywhere.

Quote from Roy
I would like it so that my actions are prioritized by order, so if my first action would be triggered at any point during the turn, it should most definitely run.

Plenty of people did that last game. Just say something like "If at any point I can do this, then it overrides other actions" or "This action takes priority over all other actions" or "These actions should be prioritized based on their order" :P

Let's put it this way: If I had done it like this last game, no one except Aristocrat would have even noticed.

Everything is the same from everyone else's perspective. Just forget about it and play as normal lol.

Oct 1 2010, 11:21 pm Neki Post #80

Quote from Tempz
You make stupid inventions lol...

-Aerosol can + fire (lighter?) = Flamethrower

-Pipes (with twisted inside) + bolt action lever (scavenged from a door) + improvised cigar maker to make bullets = Gun
Gun + A modified magnifying glass = Gun with scope
Gun + Broken metal shard = Gun attached with bonnet

-Halogen Lights + Many reflective surfaces reflected to more reflective surfaces + person knocking out the lights = Instant blindness machine

-Chemical fertilizer (ammonia + saltpeter compounds) + release switch such as burning it from a trapped source such as newspaper

Just some of my inventions when i make em...

How many of those did you actually get to use? :awesome:

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 « 2 3 4 5 619 >
  Back to forum