Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 Terrain > Topic: Help with Terrain
Help with Terrain
May 22 2011, 11:23 pm
By: JehZirO
Pages: < 1 2 3 4 >

Jul 19 2011, 3:09 am Dem0n Post #41

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

what type of map is this going to be

answer that, and maybe I can help you. I'm not going to make something like arena terrain when you really want something like impossible terrain.

Jul 19 2011, 3:17 am JehZirO Post #42

Quote from name:Dem0nS1ayer

answer that, and maybe I can help you. I'm not going to make something like arena terrain when you really want something like impossible terrain.

I answered all of those kinds of questions in the second post, please go and read it.
Think a mini Diplo map.

None.

Jul 19 2011, 3:36 am DevliN Post #43

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

Quote from JehZirO

I answered all of those kinds of questions in the second post, please go and read it.
Think a mini Diplo map.
In his defense, you edited the second post with such explanation.

I agree I sound like I'm repeating the same things because, as I said before, I am repeating the same things. It's taken this long to get you to answer very basic questions about your map, and I'm clearly not the only one wanting an answer to such questions.

My remark about you being condescending, though, is a recent revelation after you thought it was common sense that you wanted 12 separate maps when no one here seemed to get that from your first post. Or get anything for that matter.

\:devlin\: Currently Working On: \:devlin\:
My Overwatch addiction.

Jul 19 2011, 4:32 am Roy Post #44

An artist's depiction of an Extended Unit Death

Since you're a bit short on the total maps you wish to obtain, I thought I would offer my service. Let's take a tour down my creation, titled "Cries of a Somber Land":

Here we see a choke point that could easily turn the tide of a fierce battle of two armies. Symbolically, there is a war between nature at this choke, where the Jungle's fresh grass fights against the lifeless, grainy Dirt.

A key interest in this map is in the top-right, where there is a choice to make a long journey to pass the lake of water or to climb the ramp and traverse the High Dirt. Obviously, the high ground is ideal for both combat situations and a shorter travel time, but you would not want to engage another person utilizing this passage. This fear alone could drive a player to take the extra time to be careful, or risk the quicker route in an effort to benefit from it.

I know what you're thinking. "Oh, it's just a simple two-ramp system." Don't be fooled! Further to the right is a construct that adds further depth to this key area.

That's right, two ramps! This may not seem significant to the casual player, but think about it: it adds a layer of unpredictability, and for one to have dominance of the high ground, they must control this pivotal point. In addition, large armies can descend much quicker from two ramps than one. The ramp on the left goes straight to the water, and is definitely a more stealthy route than the other. I know you mentioned that this would not be a single-unit controlled game, but there is a good potential for "juking" a player here at the hands of a master.

This peculiar design is what I like to call "Roy's Sacrificial Pit of Sacrifice." The redundancy in the name is cleverly reflecting the two ramps that both lead into this area. There is obviously no strategic reason to enter this damning pocket, and an arrogant player may use it simply to flaunt their dominance in the game; that is, unless your game provides some type of benefit for entering this death trap for monetary gain (or some other benefit; you mentioned bunker placement. Perhaps a bonus for holding a bunker here for a certain amount of time?). The choice is yours whether or not to utilize it, but it will likely be used by some daring players, regardless if you make it special.

The bottom of the map is connected in only two areas: the Jungle to the East (which I will explain next) and this bridge. This is a small nod to the Zelda series (Bridge of Eldin). As you may notice, this bridge is unusually long, and the standard doodads couldn't cover such ground (or water, as it were). I hand-crafted the additional length for this bridge, making sure not to make it too long as to eliminate any strategical purpose.

The other connection to the bottom of the map is yet another nod to the Zelda series (The Lost Woods). As you can see, the two connections to the south are connected to each other through the same tribute, which I feel adds a level of sophistication to the design. Try not to get lost in this forest of confusion! While after discovering it, you may have a good sense of the path (just like you eventually learn the pattern in Ocarina of Time), there's always a moment of hesitance when you approach this area. Is it worth traveling through? Will my enemy have a better vantage point in this hazardous Raised Jungle environment? As you may know, this hesitance may spell disaster for the player, or lead to a poor decision that ultimately costs them the game.

And finally, the reason this map has its name. With all the "holes" (lakes and bodies of water) in this map, it feels a tad... gloomy. Approaching this top-left area of the map, that feeling is intensified. The dark, bland color of Mud covers a wide area, and even a large army will not fill it enough to lighten the mood; nothing can stop making you feel alone. Aside from the emotional message this provides, it is also an intriguing battleground. While a large army would find it ideal to get a surround on their opponent, the only way to get to this location is through one of three narrow chokes, and over-committing could cause more harm than help. It's true that you can gain a high ground advantage at the northernmost choke, but the travel distance is significant, and a split army can cause more problems than they solve.

That sums up the most important aspects of my map. I didn't go into some other areas that can highly influence battle, so you may want to investigate it more thoroughly.

Attachments:
Cries_Of_A_Somber_Land.scm
Hits: 9 Size: 74.6kb

Jul 19 2011, 5:07 am DevliN Post #45

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

<3 Roy. He needs it in Twilight, though.

My Overwatch addiction.

Jul 19 2011, 6:41 am JehZirO Post #46

I'm not getting the point of any of this.

None.

Jul 19 2011, 7:25 am Lanthanide Post #47

I think you should just lock this thread.

This guy is deliberately not answering questions or doing anything to help us help him.

None.

Jul 19 2011, 7:40 am JehZirO Post #48

Quote from Lanthanide
I think you should just lock this thread.

This guy is deliberately not answering questions or doing anything to help us help him.

Explain how answering over 8 questions based on what I want and telling you the dimensions et cetera of what I want isn't enough for you.

All of the questions you asked specifically have already been answered in one form or another.

If you want any further descriptions I suggest you look elsewhere because based on the criteria you, alone, have given me that's not grounds to answer anything of you specifically because you haven't asked anything that I have yet to answer.

None.

Jul 19 2011, 9:15 am DevliN Post #49

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

Here's the thing, I get that you want us to have freedom to create all this beautiful terrain for you. It is difficult to have that much freedom without guidelines. For example, with all that freedom, Apos gave you a map using your template based on what he (and the rest of us, it seems) thought you wanted. You didn't want what he gave you, and it took me asking if you wanted 12 separate maps to actually figure out that you wanted 12 different maps. No where else did you make that claim, and it certainly was not "common sense" as none of us could tell that is what you wanted. We aren't being selfish by asking for direction, we're being realistic here.

I agree with Lanth that you also seem to not like answering questions, as I asked a bunch on May 27th and there was no response to them at all. Apos posts his map on July 2nd, and two weeks later you decide to start posting in this thread again, still disregarding those questions. Though you did respond to K_A's questions, you still really didn't answer in the way we need you to answer. For example, he asked about spawn areas for human and computer players, and you responded with "Variant." What are we supposed to get from that? You say that's up to the person designing the terrain, but how are we supposed to know what those are for? When he mentioned a few buildings to go in the direction of the types of things we'd see on the map, you just literally responded to whether or not we'd see those specific buildings on the map.

Clearly my original analogy went over your head so I'll try something simple. This is like me asking you to draw me a picture. As a template, I'll give you a blank sheet of paper. All you know is that it has to be drawn in pencil. I know what I want the picture's purpose to be ultimately, but I wont tell you.

I really can't tell if you're trolling or if you really don't understand why we are having a tough time dealing with you.

My Overwatch addiction.

Jul 19 2011, 3:30 pm Roy Post #50

Ah, I accidentally overlooked the Twilight requirement (I was using your second post as guidelines). I will work on another piece tonight.

Jul 19 2011, 4:27 pm Dem0n Post #51

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

?????

Jul 19 2011, 7:08 pm JehZirO Post #52

Quote from Roy
Ah, I accidentally overlooked the Twilight requirement (I was using your second post as guidelines). I will work on another piece tonight.
Okidoke. :D

Thanksss. :)

None.

Jul 20 2011, 3:49 am Roy Post #53

This is quite possible my greatest creation yet, and I somewhat reluctantly hand it over to you. Use it well. Titled, "The_New_Land":

While it doesn't feel the same as the Lost Woods design, it is remarkably similar and includes a ramp to gain a vantage point if the opportunity arises. Small groups of units can weave through here neatly, but a large army will struggle.

The main focus of this map is the islands. This idea was inspired by The Wind Waker, which I had recently revisited. And just look at this bridge! Short and fat, beyond its natural construction; you almost want to point and laugh at it, but that would be wrong, and you'll regret it later. This bridge connects two of the middle islands, and will be very important when you're traveling. The size makes it ideal for an army to cross without exposing itself to much risk. There is, however, nearby terrain that could be used for harassing and other menacing strategies, so this isn't just a free "Collect $200" and go. What's better than one bridge? Two bridges, and with this size, this basically operates the same. But what's better than two bridges?

Three bridges! Yes, a design just asking for disaster if you relax for just an instant! Long range units can reach you from other bridges, your army may decide to filter down to three streams, you may get cornered or pressured into using a bridge that puts you at a disadvantage... but you can also transfer your army quicker. You have more of a choice as to where you want to be when crossing the island. It may look scary initially, but these bridges can be a perk if used correctly. However, you cannot change your mind after choosing a bridge to cross. A bridge leads from one point to another. Period. Once you're on it, you can only travel linearly. Unless...

Holy shit! The Tribridge (A tiny tribute to the Triforce, mind you) is quite possibly the most innovative of bridge designs in existence! Who's to say you have to travel linearly? I can make a 90 degree turn on a bridge if I want to, dammit! This will certainly be an intriguing fighting ground, and someone at the joint of the bridge can use its shape to get a better concave and escape route(s), making this remarkable bridge all the more exciting. I know you're thinking, "What about a Quadbridge?" Don't be ridiculous. That's a stupid idea.

Even some ramps are customized here. This ramp, as you may have noticed, is nearly twice the width it would normally be. This is located just below the Tribridge, and can make for a quick entrance or escape. Be warned, however, that you are thrown onto the low ground, and there are only two exits to this Sunken Ground.

In the center island (connected by four bridges), there is a flat plain that I like to refer to as the "Eye of the Storm." This area is the most well-connected island, allowing for swift travel in any direction on the map. In this respect, it will be used often by those who wish to move efficiently in this game. Like the eye of a tornado, everything revolved around this center point, and chaos will lay in its wake. The map was designed as to encourage major battles to occur within this island. The sharp, blinding eye represents the bloodshed that will scar those that witness it.

Here we see a newly designed Sacrificial Pit. One of the walls looks deceptively easy to break down or drill through, but believe me when I say this is nothing more than a silly optimist's theory. If you're foolhardy enough to plant yourself here, you immediately are placed in a poor combat position. However, interestingly enough, if you have a reasonably large army and are fighting near this area, this death trap can actually be utilized to increase your concave and provide better positioning for your units.

There is also a construct not too distant from the Sacrificial Pit that is quite the opposite. This cliff is positioned in a decent vantage point in the southern half of the map, and can be used both as an alternative route and as a base for military operations. With the proper unit composition, this area can be managed to provide a significant advantage in hostile encounters.

This is one of my newer designs, the Ramp of High Hopes. Travel up this ramp and you'll be filled with disappointment, as there is nowhere to go. Now you must be thinking, "this ramp is useless!" Not so fast on the judgement! Think carefully. It leads nowhere directionally, but it leads somewhere strategically. StarCraft gives an accuracy disadvantage to ranged units on lower ground attacking higher ground units. This Ramp of High Hopes is literally giving you hope for being higher than your opponent. In a close battle, a few units positioned correctly can cause luck to swing to your side, and you may win a battle with fewer units just by employing this ramp when applicable.

There's more I could point out, but why don't you look at this brilliant creation yourself?

Attachments:
The_New_Land.scx
Hits: 9 Size: 88.39kb

Jul 20 2011, 6:33 am JehZirO Post #54

Quote from Roy
This is quite possible my greatest creation yet, and I somewhat reluctantly hand it over to you. Use it well. Titled, "The_New_Land":

While it doesn't feel the same as the Lost Woods design, it is remarkably similar and includes a ramp to gain a vantage point if the opportunity arises. Small groups of units can weave through here neatly, but a large army will struggle.

The main focus of this map is the islands. This idea was inspired by The Wind Waker, which I had recently revisited. And just look at this bridge! Short and fat, beyond its natural construction; you almost want to point and laugh at it, but that would be wrong, and you'll regret it later. This bridge connects two of the middle islands, and will be very important when you're traveling. The size makes it ideal for an army to cross without exposing itself to much risk. There is, however, nearby terrain that could be used for harassing and other menacing strategies, so this isn't just a free "Collect $200" and go. What's better than one bridge? Two bridges, and with this size, this basically operates the same. But what's better than two bridges?

Three bridges! Yes, a design just asking for disaster if you relax for just an instant! Long range units can reach you from other bridges, your army may decide to filter down to three streams, you may get cornered or pressured into using a bridge that puts you at a disadvantage... but you can also transfer your army quicker. You have more of a choice as to where you want to be when crossing the island. It may look scary initially, but these bridges can be a perk if used correctly. However, you cannot change your mind after choosing a bridge to cross. A bridge leads from one point to another. Period. Once you're on it, you can only travel linearly. Unless...

Holy shit! The Tribridge (A tiny tribute to the Triforce, mind you) is quite possibly the most innovative of bridge designs in existence! Who's to say you have to travel linearly? I can make a 90 degree turn on a bridge if I want to, dammit! This will certainly be an intriguing fighting ground, and someone at the joint of the bridge can use its shape to get a better concave and escape route(s), making this remarkable bridge all the more exciting. I know you're thinking, "What about a Quadbridge?" Don't be ridiculous. That's a stupid idea.

Even some ramps are customized here. This ramp, as you may have noticed, is nearly twice the width it would normally be. This is located just below the Tribridge, and can make for a quick entrance or escape. Be warned, however, that you are thrown onto the low ground, and there are only two exits to this Sunken Ground.

In the center island (connected by four bridges), there is a flat plain that I like to refer to as the "Eye of the Storm." This area is the most well-connected island, allowing for swift travel in any direction on the map. In this respect, it will be used often by those who wish to move efficiently in this game. Like the eye of a tornado, everything revolved around this center point, and chaos will lay in its wake. The map was designed as to encourage major battles to occur within this island. The sharp, blinding eye represents the bloodshed that will scar those that witness it.

Here we see a newly designed Sacrificial Pit. One of the walls looks deceptively easy to break down or drill through, but believe me when I say this is nothing more than a silly optimist's theory. If you're foolhardy enough to plant yourself here, you immediately are placed in a poor combat position. However, interestingly enough, if you have a reasonably large army and are fighting near this area, this death trap can actually be utilized to increase your concave and provide better positioning for your units.

There is also a construct not too distant from the Sacrificial Pit that is quite the opposite. This cliff is positioned in a decent vantage point in the southern half of the map, and can be used both as an alternative route and as a base for military operations. With the proper unit composition, this area can be managed to provide a significant advantage in hostile encounters.

This is one of my newer designs, the Ramp of High Hopes. Travel up this ramp and you'll be filled with disappointment, as there is nowhere to go. Now you must be thinking, "this ramp is useless!" Not so fast on the judgement! Think carefully. It leads nowhere directionally, but it leads somewhere strategically. StarCraft gives an accuracy disadvantage to ranged units on lower ground attacking higher ground units. This Ramp of High Hopes is literally giving you hope for being higher than your opponent. In a close battle, a few units positioned correctly can cause luck to swing to your side, and you may win a battle with fewer units just by employing this ramp when applicable.

There's more I could point out, but why don't you look at this brilliant creation yourself?

Smoosh the Pinnacle of whatever you make into the template please.

None.

Jul 20 2011, 6:57 am DevliN Post #55

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

Quote from Roy

You are my hero. Seriously. That was beautiful.

My Overwatch addiction.

Jul 20 2011, 8:14 am CecilSunkure Post #56

Very impressed Roy. Very impressed.

None.

Jul 20 2011, 8:43 pm Dem0n Post #57

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

All of those things that Roy made are very easy to replicate. You could take parts from each of those and make a couple of maps yourself, y'know. ;o

Jul 21 2011, 12:33 am xAngelSpiritx Post #58

eternal lurker

All of those things that Roy made are very easy to replicate. You could take parts from each of those and make a couple of maps yourself, y'know. ;o
But still, it doesn't actually look that bad.

Even so,
@Roy:

None.

Jul 21 2011, 12:41 am Lanthanide Post #59

Wow, Roy goes to all that effort making terrain that could actually be used if you really wanted to, and he can't even be bothered to cut and paste it into his "template" himself. Lazy sod.

None.

Jul 21 2011, 3:05 am Roy Post #60

Quote from xAngelSpiritx
But still, it doesn't actually look that bad.
What Demon was trying to say was that the designs could be recreated without the original author's craftsmanship; he wasn't making any negative connotation.
I'm a little hurt from your insinuations (I wouldn't expect something like that coming from you :-().

Quote from Lanthanide
Wow, Roy goes to all that effort making terrain that could actually be used if you really wanted to, and he can't even be bothered to cut and paste it into his "template" himself. Lazy sod.
It's quite alright, Lanth; it was my fault for not putting the designs into the provided template, and he shouldn't have to clean up my mistakes.

It was a tad heartbreaking to split what I saw as such a beautiful creation into pieces, but I tried my best to encapsulate the highlighted features from "The New Land" into four appropriately sized templates. There's nothing necessarily new, so I won't reiterate myself from the above post, but there are some layout changes and combinations that I felt worked well given the space provided.

Attachments:
template1.scx
Hits: 4 Size: 42.01kb
template2.scx
Hits: 3 Size: 43.97kb
template3.scx
Hits: 3 Size: 44.75kb
template4.scx
Hits: 3 Size: 44.47kb

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Jul 21 2011, 3:21 am by Roy.

Options
Pages: < 1 2 3 4 >
  Back to forum