Staredit Network > Forums > Staredit Network > Topic: Finished Site Updates
Finished Site Updates
Apr 6 2011, 12:29 am
By: CecilSunkure  

Apr 6 2011, 10:48 pm NicholasBeige Post #21

Quote from name:Dem0nS1ayer
Along with PMs, could we possibly have a "next" and "previous" button to sift through them sometime in the future? I hate having to view a PM, go back to my inbox, and repeat when I have like 5 PMs.

EDIT: Just realized that this is mostly bug-related. I guess my suggestion doesn't really relate, but it's something that would make viewing PMs a lot easier. ;o

I would suggest... 'Open Link in a new Tab'. But that will probably cause the server to have a heart attack and shit out a MySQL error.

If IP isn't around, and hasn't been for a very long time (I presume), is it not safe to say that he has no interest in SEN? And then is it only his 'yes' or 'no' which is stopping us from migrating to an alternative (better) forum setup?

I know I'm the relative 'new kid' here at SEN but if there is any aspiration to become a SC2 'community' - we need a forum that at least works pretty well. And I understand a lot of people won't like the change. Meh, just throwing ideas into the abyss here.

None.

Apr 6 2011, 11:32 pm TiKels Post #22

I know I'm the relative 'new kid' here at SEN but if there is any aspiration to become a SC2 'community' - we need a forum that at least works pretty well. And I understand a lot of people won't like the change. Meh, just throwing ideas into the abyss here.
No, you make good points.

"If a topic that clearly interest noone needs to be closed to underline the "we don't want this here" message, is up to debate."

-NudeRaider

Apr 6 2011, 11:51 pm Roy Post #23

An artist's depiction of an Extended Unit Death

Personally, I think the DLDB could use a good restructuring. We need to advertise new projects more visibly on the site overall, as well (granted, map releases are infrequent).

Apr 7 2011, 12:43 am DevliN Post #24

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

Quote from name:Cardinal
If IP isn't around, and hasn't been for a very long time (I presume), is it not safe to say that he has no interest in SEN? And then is it only his 'yes' or 'no' which is stopping us from migrating to an alternative (better) forum setup?

That is the assumption, yes. He owns the domain and pays for everything, and he built SEN from scratch so it is probably more difficult for him to give everything up in that regard.

\:devlin\: Currently Working On: \:devlin\:
My Overwatch addiction.

Apr 7 2011, 2:00 am NicholasBeige Post #25

Quote from DevliN
Quote from name:Cardinal

That is the assumption, yes. He owns the domain and pays for everything, and he built SEN from scratch so it is probably more difficult for him to give everything up in that regard.
Let's put this in a metaphor. He's slept with a girl once, years and years ago. He never see's her, he never talks to her, he knows absolutely nothing about her. But he holds on for some bizarre sentimental reason known only to himself?

Jeeez, this IP...

SEN was created over a decade ago?

None.

Apr 7 2011, 2:06 am DevliN Post #26

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

Nope, 2003.

My Overwatch addiction.

Apr 7 2011, 2:07 am NicholasBeige Post #27

Nearly a decade. :rolleyes:

None.

Apr 8 2011, 4:39 am DavidJCobb Post #28

Quote from Roy
Personally, I think the DLDB could use a good restructuring. We need to advertise new projects more visibly on the site overall, as well (granted, map releases are infrequent).
A recode may be more appropriate.

In fact, I'd go as far as to suggest a recode of the entire site, if at all possible.

The code for just about everything I worked on for SEN (back when I had FTP access and wasn't as depressed and Reach-obsessed) was, in my opinion, extremely tangled. The most inconvenient aspect of that for me was the entanglement between information, mechanisms, and appearance -- that is, the actual raw data (text of a post, mineral count for a user, etc.), the scripts that retrieve and process this data, and the code that constructs a visual web page displaying this data. It's all hard-wired together and fairly difficult to edit.

In other words, the site works, but it's a lot less modular than it ought to be. Lack of modularity makes it inflexible and difficult to extend and maintain.

Side note on a good AJAX implementation, on the off chance that y'all DO restructure the entire website's code.

None.

Apr 8 2011, 4:48 am DevliN Post #29

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

We've been talking about the idea of using a different forum code, but we're also trying to figure out how worth it that move would be considering how difficult it will be to transfer posts/threads and member accounts.

My Overwatch addiction.

Apr 8 2011, 5:02 am Roy Post #30

An artist's depiction of an Extended Unit Death

Quote from DevliN
We've been talking about the idea of using a different forum code, but we're also trying to figure out how worth it that move would be considering how difficult it will be to transfer posts/threads and member accounts.
Isn't all of that stored in a database? Unless I'm failing to understand something, transferring that data wouldn't be an issue; you would just have to redo most of the site's back-end for updating the database (unless that's what you're talking about).

Apr 8 2011, 5:50 am CecilSunkure Post #31

Quote from Roy
Quote from DevliN
Isn't all of that stored in a database? Unless I'm failing to understand something, transferring that data wouldn't be an issue; you would just have to redo most of the site's back-end for updating the database (unless that's what you're talking about).
Yeah, we were talking about re-coding the entire site as I think it would be easier and more beneficial than messing IP's personal code. DevliN also likes the idea of purchasing vBulletin. If I had my way I'd like to code a new SEN using django. Nibbitz was coded with Django.

And you're right, transferring legacy data shouldn't be very hard.

None.

Apr 8 2011, 5:54 am DevliN Post #32

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

Quote from Roy
Quote from DevliN
Yeah, that's basically what I was talking about.

My Overwatch addiction.

Options
  Back to forum