Staredit Network > Forums > Modding Discussion > Topic: Problems with Current Modding Tools
Problems with Current Modding Tools
Mar 4 2015, 3:49 am
By: Sand Wraith
Pages: < 1 « 5 6 7 8 923 >

Dec 26 2016, 7:43 pm Pr0nogo Post #121

Pastebin dump of stdeo.txt: http://pastebin.com/2kfaK81H

Not sure what to make of this one.

Dec 26 2016, 8:56 pm poiuy_qwert Post #122

PyMS and ProTRG developer

I just noticed in your first screenshot it was attempting to load units.dat from the MPQ files (but the MPQ's where in the wrong order), and in the second screenshot its trying to load it from the on disk MPQ folder (which should have worked, unless you have modified the files in there). Can you paste your PyICE settings file?

Dec 26 2016, 10:24 pm Pr0nogo Post #123

Code
{\
    'flingydat':'MPQ:arr\\flingy.dat',\
    'sfxdatatbl':'MPQ:arr\\sfxdata.tbl',\
    'findhistory':[],\
        'mpqs':[\
       u'C:/Program Files (x86)/StarCraft/patch_rt.mpq',\
       u'C:/Program Files (x86)/StarCraft/BrooDat.mpq',\
       u'C:/Program Files (x86)/StarCraft/StarDat.mpq',\
       u'C:/Program Files (x86)/StarCraft/BroodWar.mpq',\
    'mpqselecthistory':[\
        'arr\\units.dat',\
    ],\
    'spritesdat':'MPQ:arr\\sprites.dat',\
    'sfxdatadat':'MPQ:arr\\sfxdata.dat',\
    'weaponsdat':'MPQ:arr\\weapons.dat',\
    'imagestbl':'MPQ:arr\\images.tbl',\
    'usemodmpq':0,\
    'codeeditwindow':'1920x1057+-8+-8^',\
    'mpqselectwindow':'235x121+842+479',\
    'highlights':None,\
    'imagesdat':'MPQ:arr\\images.dat',\
    'window':'1920x1057+-8+-8^',\
    'unitsdat':'MPQ:arr\\units.dat',\
    'lastpath':u'C:/Users/Darion/Desktop/Mod/Other',\
    'settingswindow':'352x518+784+281',\
    'stat_txt':'MPQ:rez\\stat_txt.tbl',\
}

Dec 27 2016, 4:37 am poiuy_qwert Post #124

Looks like you broke the file when editing it, the mpqs array is not closed. It should be something like:
Code
{\
    'flingydat':'MPQ:arr\\flingy.dat',\
    'sfxdatatbl':'MPQ:arr\\sfxdata.tbl',\
    'findhistory':[],\
    'mpqs':[\
       u'C:/Program Files (x86)/StarCraft/patch_rt.mpq',\
       u'C:/Program Files (x86)/StarCraft/BrooDat.mpq',\
       u'C:/Program Files (x86)/StarCraft/StarDat.mpq',\
       u'C:/Program Files (x86)/StarCraft/BroodWar.mpq',\
    ],\
    'mpqselecthistory':[\
        'arr\\units.dat',\
    ],\
    'spritesdat':'MPQ:arr\\sprites.dat',\
    'sfxdatadat':'MPQ:arr\\sfxdata.dat',\
    'weaponsdat':'MPQ:arr\\weapons.dat',\
    'imagestbl':'MPQ:arr\\images.tbl',\
    'usemodmpq':0,\
    'codeeditwindow':'1920x1057+-8+-8^',\
    'mpqselectwindow':'235x121+842+479',\
    'highlights':None,\
    'imagesdat':'MPQ:arr\\images.dat',\
    'window':'1920x1057+-8+-8^',\
    'unitsdat':'MPQ:arr\\units.dat',\
    'lastpath':u'C:/Users/Darion/Desktop/Mod/Other',\
    'settingswindow':'352x518+784+281',\
    'stat_txt':'MPQ:rez\\stat_txt.tbl',\
}

Maybe that will fix it?

Dec 27 2016, 4:57 am Pr0nogo Post #125

That lets me open it, but it greets me with this upon startup now.

Note that I copied your code word-for-word and nothing else is present in the file.

Dec 27 2016, 11:56 pm poiuy_qwert Post #126

So it looks like it is still not able to load the file from the MPQ's. If it can't load/find a file in the MPQ's it tries to fallback to the on disk MPQ folder. As a secondary issue, it is finding an invalid file on disk.

For issue 1:
Do you have any programs open that might be holding onto the MPQ's and not allowing other programs to read from them? PyMPQ used to do this, but it was update to fix that, so you may need to update your install if its outdated. You should also check other modding programs to make sure they aren't conflicting.

For issue 2:
Is the unit.dats file in that screenshot actually the incorrect file size? I checked the file on github and it looks right, maybe your install is broken or you have accidentally extracted files into that folder?

Dec 28 2016, 1:18 am Pr0nogo Post #127

For issue 1, I have scmdraft open in all cases, but this never caused conflicts before and only happened after I opened PyMPQ. Prior to opening that program I had no issues with PyICE.

For issue 2, yeah it looks like I had somehow extracted a file there, but that definitely wasn't the case until I opened PyMPQ. Maybe I clicked the wrong button or something.

Just replacing the units.dat file fixed it and the program now launches with no problems, at least at a cursory glance. Very strange. Thanks for the help though.

Dec 28 2016, 3:37 am poiuy_qwert Post #128

1) Hmm, yeah I would not expect SCMDraft to hold onto MPQ's. Do you know if you were using an old version of PyMPQ, and if so did you try updating?

2) Yeah fixing that file should get the program running again, but its kind of just a bandaid fix for the MPQ issue. I don't think you are really using the full MPQ/DAT functionality so it may not affect anything for you, but if it does or if you just want to figure out whats up we can try some more things.

Dec 28 2016, 3:54 am Pr0nogo Post #129

I'm using whatever version is on github. I have WinMPQ open but it only has my own mod loaded, and it's an exe, not an mpq.

Jan 20 2017, 10:16 am Corbo Post #130

ALL PRAISE YOUR SUPREME LORD CORBO

When clicking the scrolling bar

Also, hawt tiles had this option to view unreferenced sections of tilesets, it was called "test mega" and "test mini".
Would be nice to have it as there's some unused terrain in those.

fuck you all

May 31 2017, 5:01 am Pr0nogo Post #131

Looking for some help with PyTILE. When I launch the program, nothing happens. No process in process hacker (my task manager), no window, nothing.

May 31 2017, 11:55 am Voyager7456 Post #132

Responsible for my own happiness? I can't even be responsible for my own breakfast

Hmm, I don't have that problem with PyTILE. Could you post a Process Monitor log? That'd probably give some useful information.

all i am is a contrary canary
but i'm crazy for you
i watched you cradling a tissue box
sneezing and sniffling, you were still a fox

Modding Resources: The Necromodicon [WIP] | Mod Night
My Projects: SCFC | ARAI | Excision [WIP] | SCFC2 [BETA] | Robots vs. Humans | Leviathan Wakes [BETA]

May 31 2017, 12:26 pm Pr0nogo Post #133

I think I did this right? link

May 31 2017, 1:35 pm poiuy_qwert Post #134

Which Python version are you using (should be 2.x, I recommend 2.7 since thats what was used to develop it)? Do other PyMS programs work for you? Did you install PIL (required by the programs that use images)? If you ever have issues launching or get a crash and it doesn't presenting an error popup, you can also check Libs\stdeo.txt to see if there is an error being logged there, and include that in your post. Thanks!

May 31 2017, 2:07 pm Pr0nogo Post #135

I believe I'm using 2.7 (don't no how to check, but Neiv told me to install that version IIRC). PyICE, PyMPQ, and PyAI work fine, but I haven't tried other ones. Even after installing PIL (which I just did), the program does not start.

There was no error in stdeo.txt, just some file paths to stuff used by PyTBL and PyDAT, I think.

Since you asked about this in the shoutbox: My workflow requires easy import/export of tiles (TileEdit 1 is way better at this than TileEdit 2/Hawt Tiles).

After the graphics are imported, I prefer TileEdit 1's UI for editing mini/megatile properties, but if I could shift-click and ctrl-click to select all tiles before ticking boxes and applying flags, that would be ideal. TileEdit 2's UI has the checkbox for 'walkable' but you can't select more than one minitile at a time so it's really obnoxious to try and edit properties in that program, but it's not much better in TileEdit 1 (it's just made a little easier since it's numerical entry and you can type as soon as you select a different minitile, so there are less mouse clicks involved).

The only other thing I occasionally use is the 'apply to all' feature, which I imagine is available in PyTILE already. Useful for replacing unwalkable tiles with walkable ones and vice versa.

I'm not sure how doodad editing works but assuming it's possible, I want to be able to make my terrain tiles placeable as doodads in SCMDraft. Makes it much easier than placing individual tiles from tileset indexed.

Otherwise, the reason I'm frustrated above all else is that importing certain graphics create black boxes or other graphical corruptions across the entire tileset, whether I'm using TileEdit1 or 2. These graphics have the proper palette and proper dimensions, but the programs just don't like them and don't give me any troubleshooting tips.

May 31 2017, 11:18 pm poiuy_qwert Post #136

I think I fixed the issue with launching PyTILE, there was a very stupid mistake. I also made a change to the logging behaviour, so now you can delete stdeo.txt and instead should check inside the Libs\Logs\ folder and each program will get its own log file.

Jun 1 2017, 12:44 am Pr0nogo Post #137

Good to hear. That's been pushed to the github?

You asked for screenshots of Hawt Tiles, so here you go:

shots

Jun 1 2017, 3:06 pm Pr0nogo Post #138

Ok, using a fresh tileset ripped straight from the mpq and editing with PyTILE seems to have resolved the corruption issues (haven't tested in-game/in-editor but the previews aren't screwed up). However, there are a lot of workflow issues right now.

For one, having to hit 'cancel' every time I add a new group is a little annoying. See below.

I don't even really know what 'group settings' are.

Another issue:

The sorting is a complete mess. I imagine I'd be able to fix this by resizing the window (not yet possible - another pain point). Maybe this is something I fucked up on my end though, it might not be like this for other people. Besides being visually confusing, this hinders my ability to make new tile blends out of existing ones if I desired.

I would like to be able to resize the main program, too, and increase the amount of space reserved for the MegaTile Group preview, because currently the scroll bar is really small (and throws an internal error - more on that later).

Related issue: clicking above or below the scroll bar in the group palette throws this internal error, just like clicking to the left and right of the MegaTile Group scroll bar.

As I reported in the shoutbox, deleting a group in the group palette has a similar effect, though this is only made possible using the 'delete' key on the keyboard as the option is greyed out in the console. Error below.

As mentioned previously, I'd appreciate the ability to select more than one minitile at a time. Editing properties like height value and walkability would be made a lot easier.

Another critical thing. I want to be able to replace existing groups with updated graphics, and have them use the same properties as was already set. I do a lot of little tweaking with shadows and colors that don't require resetting pathing or any other properties. This is high priority for me.

That's all so far. Going to test some in-game stuff, make sure it's correct and uncorrupted. Thanks for working on it!

edit: Things work in-game, as intended. Once the processes of replacing the graphics with updated versions and editing properties of minitiles is made easier, I'll be a very, very happy man. Can't thank you enough.

edit 2: after rebuilding the tileset from scratch (again, due to user error), PyTILE is only able to save the .cv5 and .vf4 portions of the tileset before throwing an unknown internal error.

Post has been edited 3 time(s), last time on Jun 1 2017, 7:56 pm by Pr0nogo.

Jun 1 2017, 11:39 pm poiuy_qwert Post #139

Quote from Pr0nogo
Ok, using a fresh tileset ripped straight from the mpq and editing with PyTILE seems to have resolved the corruption issues (haven't tested in-game/in-editor but the previews aren't screwed up). However, there are a lot of workflow issues right now.

For one, having to hit 'cancel' every time I add a new group is a little annoying. See below.

I don't even really know what 'group settings' are.
PyTILE doesn't just support exporting/importing graphics, it also supports importing/exporting the group/mega/mintile settings to text format, though its optional so as to support importing HawtTiles exports. This is what I was saying about PyTILE being based more around the export+import functions. It is tedious and hard to edit settings in the UI, but in text form it is much easier organize into separate files, do bulk edits, copy settings from one thing to another, and so much more. I don't think the text format was fully fleshed out, so it contained all the data but may not be in the easiest format, but that can be worked on.

Quote from Pr0nogo
Another issue:

The sorting is a complete mess. I imagine I'd be able to fix this by resizing the window (not yet possible - another pain point). Maybe this is something I fucked up on my end though, it might not be like this for other people. Besides being visually confusing, this hinders my ability to make new tile blends out of existing ones if I desired.
The megatile palette is just all the tiles in the file, in the order they are in the file. I think you are misunderstanding its purpose or doing something wrong? Or could it be that HawtTiles ignores completely black tiles on import so you don't get the large black gaps?

Quote from Pr0nogo
I would like to be able to resize the main program, too, and increase the amount of space reserved for the MegaTile Group preview, because currently the scroll bar is really small (and throws an internal error - more on that later).

Sorry, probably not going to happen for technical reasons. I don't see why that really matters anyway? The scrollbar is just a convenience and there are other better ways to get the group you want?

Quote from Pr0nogo
Related issue: clicking above or below the scroll bar in the group palette throws this internal error, just like clicking to the left and right of the MegaTile Group scroll bar.

Should be fixed now.

Quote from Pr0nogo
As I reported in the shoutbox, deleting a group in the group palette has a similar effect, though this is only made possible using the 'delete' key on the keyboard as the option is greyed out in the console. Error below.

So deleting is not implemented in the UI (didn't matter because of export+import workflows), thats why the button is disabled, but the keyboard shortcut was still enabled. The error should be fixed now.

Quote from Pr0nogo
As mentioned previously, I'd appreciate the ability to select more than one minitile at a time. Editing properties like height value and walkability would be made a lot easier.
I could and probably will add this at some point, but for now I will not. I think the answer to this one will be changing your workflow to use the export+import with settings system.

Quote from Pr0nogo
Another critical thing. I want to be able to replace existing groups with updated graphics, and have them use the same properties as was already set. I do a lot of little tweaking with shadows and colors that don't require resetting pathing or any other properties. This is high priority for me.
This is one of the features of exporting/importing the group/tile settings, the text file includes the group/mega/minitile ID's so when importing it can update the existing sets.

Quote from Pr0nogo
edit: Things work in-game, as intended. Once the processes of replacing the graphics with updated versions and editing properties of minitiles is made easier, I'll be a very, very happy man. Can't thank you enough.
I'm glad its "working" so far, and looking forward to make it work better!

Quote from Pr0nogo
edit 2: after rebuilding the tileset from scratch (again, due to user error), PyTILE is only able to save the .cv5 and .vf4 portions of the tileset before throwing an unknown internal error.

Hmm, that looks like you are hitting the limit of vr4 entries (minitile image data) and there isn't a check for that, though I can't say for sure. This may be caused by the thing I'm going to talk about next...

Importing has some issues right now (right after I have hyped up the export+import system :P), especially when just using images. One of those issues is it creates new graphics/tile references for everything (which is why you may be hitting the limit, some tilesets are already pretty full). That is what I started re-writing the other day, i'm fixing/improving the importing, and also revamping the exporting as well. I still think you should give the current importing+exporting (with settings) a go and see how it works out and where the pain points are, because thats the main thing I'm working on so it will probably provide the best results.

Thanks!

Jun 2 2017, 1:11 pm Pr0nogo Post #140

Is there a function to export tile settings, or do I have to export the settings with another tile editor in order to edit them and load them with PyTILE?

Options
Pages: < 1 « 5 6 7 8 923 >
  Back to forum