Staredit Network > Forums > Modding Discussion > Topic: Problems with Current Modding Tools
Problems with Current Modding Tools
Mar 4 2015, 3:49 am
By: Sand Wraith
Pages: < 1 « 6 7 8 9 1023 >

Jun 2 2017, 2:27 pm Corbo Post #141

ALL PRAISE YOUR SUPREME LORD CORBO

Quote from Pr0nogo
Is there a function to export tile settings, or do I have to export the settings with another tile editor in order to edit them and load them with PyTILE?
Does it not export them to a text file or something? I remember I modded the tileset that way.

fuck you all

Jun 2 2017, 2:48 pm Pr0nogo Post #142

No, it exports them to .bmps in the group palette and there is no export button anywhere else that I can see.

Jun 2 2017, 6:49 pm O)FaRTy1billion[MM] Post #143

👻 👾 👽 💪

Quote from poiuy_qwert
Or could it be that HawtTiles ignores completely black tiles on import so you don't get the large black gaps?
HawtTiles, assuming I actually implemented it and it works, searches for duplicate tiles when importing (what the 'Test Find' button tests the functionality of) so null tiles won't be added.

TinyMap2 - Latest in map compression! ( 7/09/14 - New build! )
EUD Action Enabler - Lightweight EUD/EPD support! (ChaosLauncher/MPQDraft support!)
EUDDB - topic - Help out by adding your EUDs! Or Submit reference files in the References tab!
MapSketch - New image->map generator!
EUDTrig - topic - Quickly and easily convert offsets to EUDs! (extended players supported)
SC2 Map Texture Mask Importer/Exporter - Edit texture placement in an image editor!
\:farty\: This page has been viewed [img]http://farty1billion.dyndns.org/Clicky.php?img.gif[/img] times!

Jun 3 2017, 12:03 am poiuy_qwert Post #144

PyMS and ProTRG developer

Quote from Corbo
Quote from Pr0nogo
Is there a function to export tile settings, or do I have to export the settings with another tile editor in order to edit them and load them with PyTILE?
Does it not export them to a text file or something? I remember I modded the tileset that way.
Quote from Pr0nogo
No, it exports them to .bmps in the group palette and there is no export button anywhere else that I can see.
When you export from PyTILE, it first asks to export the bmp, then it asks to export the settings, just like importing (which can also be cancelled to get just the bmp). So to get started you can export existing things to modify, learn from, and provide feedback on.

Quote from O)FaRTy1billion[MM]
Quote from poiuy_qwert
Or could it be that HawtTiles ignores completely black tiles on import so you don't get the large black gaps?
HawtTiles, assuming I actually implemented it and it works, searches for duplicate tiles when importing (what the 'Test Find' button tests the functionality of) so null tiles won't be added.
Makes sense, thanks for the info!

Jun 3 2017, 12:15 am Pr0nogo Post #145

Ok, got it. I'm going to start by exporting some blank tiles to replace, and I'll get back to you on it.

Would it be possible to force the program to throw an error if you go over the max number of megatiles while importing? Or just not allow further importing after the limit has been reached (with an appropriate debug message/counter to show why it's disabled)? Would help others understand the issue.

Jun 3 2017, 12:51 am poiuy_qwert Post #146

Quote from Pr0nogo
Would it be possible to force the program to throw an error if you go over the max number of megatiles while importing? Or just not allow further importing after the limit has been reached (with an appropriate debug message/counter to show why it's disabled)? Would help others understand the issue.
Yep, I was kind of surprised it didn't already have that.

Jun 3 2017, 1:56 am Pr0nogo Post #147

Glad to hear it's feasible at least.

The text entry seems fairly straightforward. Still learning all its ins and outs. If I only import the bmps, will the settings revert to 0, or stay what they've been set to?

I would appreciate the option to just export/import the settings and not the bmps (e.g. hit cancel on export/import bmps like I can hit cancel on export/import settings).

edit: I can't seem to reference unused megatiles, I assume all blank megatiles are actually the same '0' megatile. Using the text settings method, how would I add brand new tiles?

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Jun 3 2017, 2:04 am by Pr0nogo.

Jun 3 2017, 3:24 pm poiuy_qwert Post #148

Quote from Pr0nogo
If I only import the bmps, will the settings revert to 0, or stay what they've been set to?
If you import just the bmp they will be treated as completely new tiles, the settings file is what includes the id's that are used to update existing tiles. If you just want to update the image but not the settings, you would still import the settings, just don't change them in the text file.

Quote from Pr0nogo
I would appreciate the option to just export/import the settings and not the bmps (e.g. hit cancel on export/import bmps like I can hit cancel on export/import settings).
Should be a feature of the updated import+export system.

Quote from Pr0nogo
edit: I can't seem to reference unused megatiles, I assume all blank megatiles are actually the same '0' megatile. Using the text settings method, how would I add brand new tiles?
I'm not exactly sure what you mean by this. Could you give me an example of what you are trying to do, maybe steps so I can try it myself?

Edit: I re-wrote the palette window to allow resizing (not sure how performant it will be with lots of tiles) and multi-select. Multi-select doesn't do anything yet, only the first selection will be used for export/edit (it will be used for the updated export system). If you could give it a try and provide feedback, hopefully it works well for you.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Jun 3 2017, 4:43 pm by poiuy_qwert.

Jun 3 2017, 5:07 pm Pr0nogo Post #149

Quote from poiuy_qwert
I'm not exactly sure what you mean by this. Could you give me an example of what you are trying to do, maybe steps so I can try it myself?

I'm trying to simulate the creation of new groups by replacing blank ones. In TileEdit, you do this by selecting a blank group and importing your graphics, like so:

Then it turns into a completely functional, editable set of terrain tiles (until it inevitably corrupts everything, of course):

I just need a way to reliably do this in PyTILE, preferably without setting a bunch of shit in a text file as that's way more tedious than just hitting import in TileEdit and being done with it.

Jun 3 2017, 6:24 pm poiuy_qwert Post #150

Quote from Pr0nogo
I just need a way to reliably do this in PyTILE, preferably without setting a bunch of shit in a text file as that's way more tedious than just hitting import in TileEdit and being done with it.
Yeah that is not really possible at the moment, you'll have to deal with getting new groups until I have finished revamping the importer :(

Jun 3 2017, 6:37 pm Pr0nogo Post #151

New groups won't save, as I mentioned earlier. I'll just have to use the other tools until you're done. Thanks for working on the program, I appreciate it!

Jun 8 2017, 1:18 am poiuy_qwert Post #152

Alright, I have release the new version with access to the WIP import system. Here is the commit log for some more details:

Code
- Re-wrote a bunch of stuff for the WIP import system, so there may be issues with some things (known issues: editing a megatile from the tile palette, attempting to change a megatile in the doodad placement window)
- Added a button for the WIP import system to the tile palette. Some details:
  - Only imports images (supports bulk imports of groups stacked vertically, or mega/mini tiles in any sized grid)
  - Imports will update the currently selected items in the palette (extra imported items will be added new)
  - Always tries to reuse existing "lower" tiles (group imports reuse mega+minitiles, mega imports reuse minitiles)
- Improved edit status tracking
- Many bug fixes

Please report any issues you find here!

Jun 10 2017, 10:39 pm Pr0nogo Post #153

Tried importing one image to multiple selected groups and got this error.

Internal Error

Same exact error is thrown when attempting to import an image onto a single selected group.

Jun 11 2017, 12:01 am poiuy_qwert Post #154

Quote from Pr0nogo
Tried importing one image to multiple selected groups and got this error.

Internal Error

Same exact error is thrown when attempting to import an image onto a single selected group.
Thanks for trying it out, its unfortunate you ran into an issue right away :( I have fixed that issue if you can give it another whirl! Also, if you import a bmp with one group it will only update the first selected group in the palette, it will not apply it to all the selected groups. If you have 3 selected groups in the palette and import a bmp with 5 groups in it, the first 3 in the image will update the 3 selected groups, and the extras will be added to the end.

Also, I have implemented a new MegaTile Editor which is available from the MegaTile Palette, and will soon be integrated into the main window. It allows much easier editing of the properties of the minitiles by drawing the settings onto the tiles in different edit modes, instead of having to click a bunch of checkboxes for every tile. If you could also give that a try and give me your feedback (and a screenshot if possible, I don't have easy access to see it on a Windows machine), I'm sure you'll like it!

Jun 11 2017, 12:17 am Pr0nogo Post #155

Those new changes sound excellent!

By 'a bmp with 5 groups in it', you mean a bmp image with 5 times the normal height value of a terrain group, right? (In this case, 32*5, so 160.) Just checking so I can make sure I'm testing correctly.

edit: a different error (I think) when importing a bmp with 1 group selected.

Internal Error

Jun 11 2017, 12:20 am poiuy_qwert Post #156

Quote from Pr0nogo
By 'a bmp with 5 groups in it', you mean a bmp image with 5 times the normal height value of a terrain group, right? (In this case, 32*5, so 160.) Just checking so I can make sure I'm testing correctly.
Yep!

Jun 11 2017, 12:25 am Pr0nogo Post #157

Edited in an internal error, idk if you noticed it when you replied.

Here's a shot of the minitile editor.

This looks really useful! I'll do some testing to make sure this is 100% operational but it looks like you've outdone yourself here, haha. This trivializes the most carpal tunnel-inducing and monotonous component of tileset editing I've run into thus far. Very pleased with this!

edit: Since you've been delivering on my hopes and dreams so far with this update, is there any chance PyTILE is capable of applying creep-blocking and buildability on a per-megatile basis, rather than it affecting the entire group?

Jun 11 2017, 12:57 am poiuy_qwert Post #158

Quote from Pr0nogo
Edited in an internal error, idk if you noticed it when you replied.[quote]
[quote=name:Pr0nogo]edit: a different error (I think) when importing a bmp with 1 group selected.

Internal Error
Missed it, should be fixed now, thanks!

Quote from Pr0nogo
Here's a shot of the minitile editor.

This looks really useful! I'll do some testing to make sure this is 100% operational but it looks like you've outdone yourself here, haha. This trivializes the most carpal tunnel-inducing and monotonous component of tileset editing I've run into thus far. Very pleased with this!
Thanks for the screenshot, and I'm glad you like it! I'll be doing some tweaking to the UI and then integrating it into the main UI should be pretty easy!

Quote from Pr0nogo
edit: Since you've been delivering on my hopes and dreams so far with this update, is there any chance PyTILE is capable of applying creep-blocking and buildability on a per-megatile basis, rather than it affecting the entire group?
Unfortunately that is not possible, the way the settings are grouped by group/mega is how they are in the files.

Jun 11 2017, 1:08 am Pr0nogo Post #159

Internal Error

Round 3! Looks only slightly different this time.

Jun 11 2017, 1:24 am poiuy_qwert Post #160

Quote from Pr0nogo
Internal Error

Round 3! Looks only slightly different this time.
I don't think your update worked? That should be fixed.

Options
Pages: < 1 « 6 7 8 9 1023 >
  Back to forum