Staredit Network > Forums > Modding Discussion > Topic: Problems with Current Modding Tools
Problems with Current Modding Tools
Mar 4 2015, 3:49 am
By: Sand Wraith
Pages: < 1 « 7 8 9 10 1123 >

Jun 11 2017, 1:31 am Pr0nogo Post #161

Just double-checked and got this:

Internal Error

Slightly different again. Same process, trying to import a bmp onto a blank group.

Jun 11 2017, 1:38 am poiuy_qwert Post #162

PyMS and ProTRG developer

Quote from Pr0nogo
Just double-checked and got this:

Internal Error

Slightly different again. Same process, trying to import a bmp onto a blank group.
That is new, should be fixed now. Sorry for this back and forth, I don't really have the time to create good test datasets (I end up importing exports), just enough to write some code, so this its really helpful to me having you test with various inputs. Thanks!

Jun 11 2017, 1:50 am Pr0nogo Post #163

No more internal errors, but after importing the bmp, the group is blank and I can't select it again to fix it. The same bmp works with TileEdit I and II.

I don't mind being the guinea pig, trust me. Anything's better than having to rebuild my tileset from scratch every 1-2 days because of corruption.

Jun 11 2017, 2:12 am poiuy_qwert Post #164

Quote from Pr0nogo
No more internal errors, but after importing the bmp, the group is blank and I can't select it again to fix it. The same bmp works with TileEdit I and II.
Odd, would you mind sending me the bmp you were testing with and which group you are trying to import it onto?

Also I put out an update with:
Update new MegaTile Editor UI to use dropdown for edit mode with keyboard shortcuts (1-6) to switch between them
Added keyboard shortcuts to navigate groups (up/down) and megas (left/right) on the main window

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Jun 11 2017, 2:20 am by poiuy_qwert.

Jun 11 2017, 2:43 am Pr0nogo Post #165

Before and after adding the same bmps to the tileset:

The groups are then unselectable. Note that I'm editing an already-modified tileset, not building it from scratch in the program, but the result is the same when importing bmps over blank tiles.

Here's a .zip with some of the bmps.

Jun 11 2017, 4:05 am poiuy_qwert Post #166

Quote from Pr0nogo
Before and after adding the same bmps to the tileset:

The groups are then unselectable. Note that I'm editing an already-modified tileset, not building it from scratch in the program, but the result is the same when importing bmps over blank tiles.

Here's a .zip with some of the bmps.
Alright, I've fixed the bugs that were causing issues with those files, hopefully thats all the issues :P

Jun 11 2017, 4:43 am Pr0nogo Post #167

It all looked promising - importing functioned as intended and everything. But I tried to 'save as' and got this error:

Internal Error

Using 'save' instead of 'save as' yields the same results.

Is my ~20 minutes of work still salvageable or should I start icing my wrist to prevent cramping?

Jun 11 2017, 5:18 am poiuy_qwert Post #168

Quote from Pr0nogo
It all looked promising - importing functioned as intended and everything. But I tried to 'save as' and got this error:

Internal Error

Using 'save' instead of 'save as' yields the same results.
Hmm, that could be that you are reaching the minitile limit again (I haven't put in checks for this yet), or could be a bug. I updated the palette windows title to include the current count and max count for each type, so you can open the minitile palette to check how many tiles you have.

Quote from Pr0nogo
Is my ~20 minutes of work still salvageable or should I start icing my wrist to prevent cramping?
Unfortunately its probably not salvageable at the moment. This was another reason PyTILE was planned to support exporting/importing the settings to text files, so even if the tileset gets corrupted you can start from a fresh file and just reimport everything and not have to redo all the work. Unfortunately I don't think I succeeded in that previously, so hopefully this re-write of the export+import systems can get it there.

Jun 11 2017, 7:15 am Pr0nogo Post #169

Alright, sounds good! I'll just load that up and... uh....

Any chance there's a limit expander for this sort of thing?

Jun 11 2017, 1:26 pm poiuy_qwert Post #170

Quote from Pr0nogo
Alright, sounds good! I'll just load that up and... uh....

Any chance there's a limit expander for this sort of thing?
Unfortunately I don't think there currently is :( I feel like it probably wouldn't be that hard to create a limit expander plugin for this, but I don't have the time or access to a PC to look into it. FaRTy was working on a limit expand for a bunch of other dat files (ones that should be much harder to expand), maybe he can be convinced to take a look at this? Oh then you would also have to convince SI to update SCMDraft to support the expanded files as well :/

We can also look into the option of removing or overwriting existing tiles, or make some of the built in stuff have less unique tiles and just reuse more tiles (probably wont notice much if a bunch of the dirt tiles were no longer unique, especially with the option to flip duplicates horizontally. At the moment, I don't think there is a good way to do this stuff in program, so you'll have to think about what you want to do, and I'll try and think of what I can do.

Jun 11 2017, 1:32 pm Pr0nogo Post #171

I bothered FaRTy about it and I'll wait on his response. In the meantime I'll get rid of a few groups I didn't use and get the most bang for my buck. Thanks for creating a functioning program for this! Much appreciated.

Jun 11 2017, 1:50 pm poiuy_qwert Post #172

Quote from Pr0nogo
I bothered FaRTy about it and I'll wait on his response.
Sounds good. Not sure if you saw my edit, but you'll also need to get SI to update SCMDraft to support the expanded files.

Quote from Pr0nogo
In the meantime I'll get rid of a few groups I didn't use and get the most bang for my buck.
You are only 29 minitiles over, and there are 24 minitiles per megatile, so you probably only need to drop a megatile or two from a group.

Quote from Pr0nogo
Thanks for creating a functioning program for this! Much appreciated.
I'm glad its starting to come together! The tools only get better as people use them and provide feedback. When I started making the tools I was doing a lot of modding myself so it was easy for me to test the tools as I developed just by using them, but slowly as I added more tools and got more busy, I had less time to mod, which meant less time to actually use the programs, which meant they didn't get tested as much. The tools that got the most usage by other people, PyAI for example, are the most stable and have the most convenience features to help modders build mods better, faster, and easier. So please, continue using the tools and providing feedback, and I will try my best to make the tools better and more stable. Thanks!

Jun 12 2017, 11:02 am Pr0nogo Post #173

PyGOT, PyGRP, PyPAL, PyPCX, and PyTILE are the only programs in your most recent version that start. Should I just copy those functional programs from the new download and combine them with my older directory?

A few feature requests for the main UI of PyTILE:

-Show more than one group at a time, with the active/selected group outlined in white, like it is in the group selector
-Option to show pathing similar to how the map editors do it (could also use the colors you have for the minitile properties painter if it's easier)
-(After the minitile painter has been integrated to the main UI) The ability to select megatiles without having to close and re-open the painter
-Support for up to 2x minitiles for tilesets (still coordinating with SI and FaRTy on this one, but is theoretically possible)

Not sure how feasible these requests are, but figured I'd put them out there. Out of curiosity, do you plan on working with Remastered at all? I imagine Blizzard will be using casc for that, which would outmode all of the current tools, as far as I can tell.

Jun 12 2017, 1:59 pm poiuy_qwert Post #174

Quote from Pr0nogo
PyGOT, PyGRP, PyPAL, PyPCX, and PyTILE are the only programs in your most recent version that start.
Can you check inside the /Libs/Logs folder to see if there are any crash logs for the programs that are not working for you?

Quote from Pr0nogo
Should I just copy those functional programs from the new download and combine them with my older directory?
Does this mean the tools that don't work in the latest version work in an older version for you? Also you shouldn't merge different versions since a lot of the tools are interconnected so they all need to be from the same version.

Quote from Pr0nogo
A few feature requests for the main UI of PyTILE:
-Show more than one group at a time, with the active/selected group outlined in white, like it is in the group selector
I've been thinking about redoing the main UI, and thinking a lot about how to make it better. The thing is I would essentially start the UI from scratch at that point, so my priority right now is getting the underlying functionality cleaned up and working first, while evolving my plans for how to redo the UI later.

Quote from Pr0nogo
-Option to show pathing similar to how the map editors do it (could also use the colors you have for the minitile properties painter if it's easier)
Do you mean showing this on the "palette" (or eventual updated main UI)? I have thought of it and I may introduce it. Though the UI toolkit that I use has some severe limitations (like no alpha blending...), which is why I have resorted to different coloured borders around the tiles, so I would have to figure out a way of doing it that worked well.

Quote from Pr0nogo
-(After the minitile painter has been integrated to the main UI) The ability to select megatiles without having to close and re-open the painter
I assume you mean because the current integration is using a window popped out of the palette? When I integrate it into the main UI it will replace the current "MiniTiles" area, so will just always be there like the current one.

Quote from Pr0nogo
-Support for up to 2x minitiles for tilesets (still coordinating with SI and FaRTy on this one, but is theoretically possible)
Very easy for me, its FaRTy that has the hard part to get this working :P

Quote from Pr0nogo
Not sure how feasible these requests are, but figured I'd put them out there.
Definitely. Even if things you mention end up not being feasible, they still let me see things from a different perspective, and from someone still using the tools to actually create something, and they might get me to see a different way to do things.

Quote from Pr0nogo
Out of curiosity, do you plan on working with Remastered at all? I imagine Blizzard will be using casc for that, which would outmode all of the current tools, as far as I can tell.
I have no plans to, I doubt I will, but I wouldn't rule it out either.

Jun 12 2017, 2:17 pm Pr0nogo Post #175

Quote from poiuy_qwert
Can you check inside the /Libs/Logs folder to see if there are any crash logs for the programs that are not working for you?
Here is a package of all the logs I found. Hope they help!

Quote from poiuy_qwert
Do you mean showing this on the "palette" (or eventual updated main UI)?
Not sure what you mean by this, I just want the option to toggle the pathing on the group(s) that are displayed. When turning the option on it would highlight unwalkable areas, saving me the trouble of saving the tileset, importing it into the mpq, loading it up in SCMDraft, and previewing the pathing there, only to find out that I forgot to set pathing in some areas. Not a massive pain point since it's usually only one more commit for me, but it would help out a bit, and would let me better visualize what it would look like in-game.

Quote from poiuy_qwert
I assume you mean because the current integration is using a window popped out of the palette? When I integrate it into the main UI it will replace the current "MiniTiles" area, so will just always be there like the current one.
That's great to hear! I was hoping that would be the case, but wasn't sure. Looking forward to the change!

Jun 12 2017, 5:37 pm poiuy_qwert Post #176

Quote from Pr0nogo
Quote from poiuy_qwert
Thanks! It looks like some of the updates I made to my python SFmpq interface for mac has some issues on windows... I should be able to fix that issue quickly once I'm home, but we might end up doing a little back and forth if there are other issues that only affect windows.

Quote from Pr0nogo
Quote from poiuy_qwert
Do you mean showing this on the "palette" (or eventual updated main UI)?
Not sure what you mean by this, I just want the option to toggle the pathing on the group(s) that are displayed. When turning the option on it would highlight unwalkable areas, saving me the trouble of saving the tileset, importing it into the mpq, loading it up in SCMDraft, and previewing the pathing there, only to find out that I forgot to set pathing in some areas. Not a massive pain point since it's usually only one more commit for me, but it would help out a bit, and would let me better visualize what it would look like in-game.
What I meant was the new minitile editor shows the walkability and other flags in a visual manner (using coloured borders instead of shading), but it will only be for the currently selected megatile. So I was wondering if you were asking for it to show this stuff on the palette window for all the tiles at once.

Quote from Pr0nogo
Quote from poiuy_qwert
That's great to hear! I was hoping that would be the case, but wasn't sure. Looking forward to the change!
Hopefully I'll be putting that out tonight :)

Jun 12 2017, 5:41 pm Pr0nogo Post #177

Quote from poiuy_qwert
we might end up doing a little back and forth if there are other issues that only affect windows.
Alright, no problem!

Quote from poiuy_qwert
I was wondering if you were asking for it to show this stuff on the palette window for all the tiles at once.
Yes, that would be ideal, if possible.

Quote from poiuy_qwert
Hopefully I'll be putting that out tonight
Awesome!

SI wrote in the shoutbox that "StarCraft uses the lowest bit of the microtile index as a flag for flipped state. So the 32K limit already uses all available bits". Not sure if that would be fixable or not.

Jun 13 2017, 2:56 am poiuy_qwert Post #178

Quote from Pr0nogo
Quote from poiuy_qwert
This issue should be fixed now, thanks!

Quote from Pr0nogo
Quote from poiuy_qwert
I have released the update integrating the new minitile editor into the main UI.

Quote from Pr0nogo
Quote from poiuy_qwert
I was wondering if you were asking for it to show this stuff on the palette window for all the tiles at once.
Yes, that would be ideal, if possible.
Not sure, I'll have to think about it.

Quote from Pr0nogo
SI wrote in the shoutbox that "StarCraft uses the lowest bit of the microtile index as a flag for flipped state. So the 32K limit already uses all available bits". Not sure if that would be fixable or not.
Already chatted with SI in the shoutbox. Really it comes down to FaRTy and if/when he has the time to investigate and build the plugin. The work for me and SI will be much simpler.

Jun 13 2017, 3:55 am KYSXD Post #179

Is it possible to add an option (or tool) to PyGRP to create .txt files in order to later import on PyICE.

For example:

If you have a .grp with 200 frames and you want
- GndAttkInit animation from frames 0x00 - 0x65 (6 frames animation if I'm count correctly)
- Death animation from 102 - 199 (98 frames animation)
the tool could have options to add the playfram command, wait, goto, etc... for all the frames to the file.

This would be very helpful when writting iscripts for units with a lot of frames.

I hope I'm explaining myself.

Edit: Also, an option to preview iscript animations could be useful too.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Jun 13 2017, 4:05 am by KYSXD.

Jun 13 2017, 7:56 am Pr0nogo Post #180

Previewing iscripts would be phenomenal. I think FaRTy worked on a tool for this earlier, but integrating it directly into PyICE would be a dream come true.

edit: upon opening a script to edit it in the latest edition of PyICE, the program hangs for a solid minute or so (exact time seems to vary). Same thing happens when saving a modified script.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Jun 13 2017, 8:19 am by Pr0nogo.

Options
Pages: < 1 « 7 8 9 10 1123 >
  Back to forum