Staredit Network > Forums > Games > Topic: Anything similar to SC's trigger system?
Anything similar to SC's trigger system?
Feb 20 2015, 12:01 am
By: Soviet_Union  

Feb 20 2015, 12:01 am Soviet_Union Post #1

The sc1 trigger tool ive always found amazing, with zero coding skill you can magicly code. Is there any game dev program or someshit that does the samething outside of SC??

None.

Feb 20 2015, 1:20 am Roy Post #2

An artist's depiction of an Extended Unit Death

Check out Project Spark; it's supposed to be easy to use and friendly to beginners.

There's also RPG Maker, which you can buy on Steam. It does a lot of hand-holding as well, so you could complete a game with it without much difficulty.

If you feel like doing something a little more involved, you can learn C# and use MonoGame (the open source version of Microsoft's XNA framework) to make your own game as well. Obviously this requires you to learn a programming language, but it is by far the easiest approach into actual game development (C# isn't hard to learn, and XNA/MonoGame do a lot of the heavy lifting for you).

From there, the learning curve only steepens. You could go straight into C/C++ with either DirectX or OpenGL. This is the hardest approach, but it will be the most rewarding if you want to professionally get into making games.

Feb 20 2015, 1:33 am Generalpie Post #3

Staredit Puckwork

Unity is a popular choice for Indie developers as well and you can use JS or C#. Various systems such as particles or animation require little to no programming skill.

None.

Feb 20 2015, 2:02 am Soviet_Union Post #4

Thanks for the answers guys, but most of the things you suggested requires me to actually code. For some reason I really dont like coding, it just seems unnatural to me unlike triggers.

None.

Feb 20 2015, 3:13 am Roy Post #5

Project Spark and RPG Maker do not require you to traditionally code. Also, triggers are just if/then conditionals in a loop; using something like XNA is exactly that as well. You can follow online tutorials that walk you through setting up games through all of these options.

If you're expecting zero learning curve, it doesn't exist. The amount you're willing to learn will increase your options, as I noted above.

Feb 22 2015, 5:16 pm Generalpie Post #6

Staredit Puckwork

Several of us members are actually starting a video game design course with C# if you're interested. Roy, is it too late to sign up?

None.

Feb 23 2015, 12:39 am Apos Post #7

I order you to forgive yourself!

The closest I was able to find to Starcraft's trigger system was Multimedia Fusion 2. I used to make games and apps on that before I even knew how to code.

If you learn to code, you will find it easier than "triggers".

While I'm at it, I would like to link FNA. It's the successor to XNA. Every current XNA games can be ported line for line to FNA and shouldn't break.

Feb 23 2015, 3:30 pm NudeRaider Post #8

We can't explain the universe, just describe it; and we don't know whether our theories are true, we just know they're not wrong. >Harald Lesch

http://www.asoftech.com/autome/ and http://www.autohotkey.com/
use scripts to manipulate mouse and keyboard.
They use command lines, like sc text triggers, and not a gui that has dropdowns for your actions, like classic sc trigger editor.

Feb 23 2015, 4:17 pm Roy Post #9

Quote from Generalpie
Several of us members are actually starting a video game design course with C# if you're interested. Roy, is it too late to sign up?
The course started today, but you can still enroll into it for like another two weeks. Link: https://www.coursera.org/course/gameprogramming

It's extremely beginner friendly. So much so that the videos for the first week are a waste of time if you're already a little familiar with coding.

Quote from Apos
While I'm at it, I would like to link FNA. It's the successor to XNA. Every current XNA games can be ported line for line to FNA and shouldn't break.
MonoGame is the unofficial successor to XNA; it looks like FNA is a fork off of MonoGame for the purpose of better Linux support? What exactly is the advantage to using this fork over MonoGame?

Edit: FNA doesn't even have an official release yet.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Feb 23 2015, 4:39 pm by Roy.

Feb 23 2015, 6:13 pm Apos Post #10

I order you to forgive yourself!

Quote from Roy
Quote from Apos
MonoGame is the unofficial successor to XNA; it looks like FNA is a fork off of MonoGame for the purpose of better Linux support? What exactly is the advantage to using this fork over MonoGame?

Edit: FNA doesn't even have an official release yet.

Quote from Ethan Lee
Its main purpose is to provide an XNA reimplementation that is both accurate and portable enough to ship a single set of C# binaries on all target platforms without recompiling. The target platforms are primarily Windows/Mac/Linux, but the SDL2 base allows us to run in other places as well.

FNA started as a MonoGame fork, but ended up getting changed too much to be merged back. Source

If you want to port a game from XNA to MonoGame, you will have quite a lot of work to do as there are many things that have been changed in MonoGame. You can see an example of a speed port from XNA to FNA for a simple game:

You can see FNA development news on Ethan Lee's Google+.

Options
  Back to forum