Staredit Network > Forums > Null > Topic: Aristocrat's Mafia #3: Dennou Coil
Aristocrat's Mafia #3: Dennou Coil
Sep 29 2012, 12:30 am
By: Aristocrat
Pages: < 1 « 14 15 16 17 18 >

Polls

Oct 20 2012, 4:18 am Sacrieur Post #301

Still Napping

With both the Encoder and Researcher in mafia hands it was pretty much hopeless, even if one of us had figured out what was going on.

I am beginning to question these power roles.

None.

Oct 20 2012, 4:22 am Aristocrat Post #302

Quote from Sacrieur
With both the Encoder and Researcher in mafia hands it was pretty much hopeless, even if one of us had figured out what was going on.

I am beginning to question these power roles.
Neither was a killing role, and mafia only had four members. Town succeeded in killing zero of them, despite holding a vote majority for most of the game and having the ability to cockblock Kame from killing people just by visiting each other or sending in Architect actions.

None.

Oct 20 2012, 4:22 am Bar Refaeli Post #303

GG everyone. Looking back, I can only say the same things I said at the beginning: unknown roles suck and the town is a bunch of sheep. However, the voter manipulation that I thought would be a problem was not, mainly due to the fact that people sheeped on bandwagons so much.

Along with fucking with a bunch of people, I messaged GeneralPie and Fire_Kame at the very beginning saying I knew they were both mafia and that we should join together in victory. Unfortunately, they promptly ignored me.

GG everyone, looking forward to classic mafia!

And town was definitely at a big disadvantage having their encoder be the infiltrator and the whole Lanthanide ordeal.... But I mean they still could've won.

None.

Oct 20 2012, 4:28 am Roy Post #304

An artist's depiction of an Extended Unit Death

Quote from Aristocrat
Roy: Requested the Novice Researcher.
Technically, I requested whatever role you thought was the most insignificant or unimportant.

Day 1,

Someone talked to me today about the future of this place. I don't remember what exactly he had said. Curse my memory, being unable to recall what has happened only moments ago! This is why I write. At least, I think that's why I write. Why else would I write?

Really, I'm not sure why I'm documenting this. After all, it's nothing but a hunch, a suspicion. It seems as though I'm being watched, and it's taken a toll on my natural behavior. Tonight I'll look at some files on the other players and see if I can't get some information out of it. Answers lie in the files! Kids these days need to learn to do a little reading and a lot of critical thinking. If I can't figure out why I feel the way that I feel, the feeling will pass and I will forget the feeling I felt.

What was his name? I can't seem to remember. Surely I had written it down. It has to be written down. Did I even write anything down? I am writing this down, and certainly this has his name! Was what he had said the reason I feel in peril? Why I feel as though I'm being watched? Somewhere, in my subconscious, lies the feeling, lies the name. Who is he? Was he really there? I can't even remember a face. Just... a void. Avoid. A man I must avoid?

Night 1,

Why is Day 1 the day it is? I should have written the reason I labeled it as the first day. Regardless, the files proved to be garbage. Something about a man named Lotus getting whacked.

Wait. I should know this name. He was a researcher; maybe he researched one thing too many. What does he even research, anyway? I mean, sure, people call me a researcher, but if they asked me for literally anything to be researched, I'd shit my pants and find a hole to crawl into. Does looking through crap that says things like "You successfully eliminate LoTu)S" really make me qualified to be anything more than a reader? Yeah, I'll research that document right away.

Let's see. There's four words, and five characters in Lotus' name. That gives me 8 9 when added together. Or 20 when multiplied! Combining these, 20 - 9 = 11, which means that the player logged as #11... I'm Megamass? WHAT THE FUCK?!

Day 2,

Turns out that I'm pretty sure I'm not Megamass, seeing as I'd have been killed for incompetence if I were. My fears are put to rest, and may they stay resting to the end of my days. Haven't seen the mystery man today, but in his place is a box. Had he left it there for me? Hard to tell; it's your standard cardboard box, and really anyone could have left it. Surely it makes me not a thief to take an unattended box. Better I take it than some... thief. Raccoon and Azrael don't deserve a box like this.

I don't steal things, and I'm not one to look inside things that are not mine. I am a man of honor! Besides, the contents of the box look unimportant. And fragile. Only someone as cautious as myself could handle such a thing. There's a note in the box as well; I haven't read it. Who am I to be reading letters that may not belong to me? It can stay in the box.

Boxes aside, I do have some notes regarding acquantences. Raccoon: he strikes me as untrustworthy. He's the kind of person who would steal a box! And Azrael, oh, he'd be like, "No, it's your box. I only ask for everything except the idea that the box is yours." See, both men are driven by greed. That's why they don't know of the box.

Though Azrael said something box-related... Is he going to steal my box?

In case you didn't see it (added highlighting in green), I called out both Azrael and Raitaki on the first couple nights! And Raccoon after he turned Null!

The reason Raitaki's name isn't complete, in case you're wondering, is because my character had a memory problem, so even his subconscious couldn't fully remember the name. I don't know why he had a memory problem; it was just fun to write.

Oct 20 2012, 4:37 am lil-Inferno Post #305

Just here for the pie

Another fun fact: I allied up with Raccoon and we took Raitaki in soon afterwards. Our initial objective was to kill Fire_Kame, but no one would cooperate with us. My own agenda was to infect both of them but Raitaki squealed.

Oct 20 2012, 4:43 am Bar Refaeli Post #306

Quote from lil-Inferno
Another fun fact: I allied up with Raccoon and we took Raitaki in soon afterwards. Our initial objective was to kill Fire_Kame, but no one would cooperate with us. My own agenda was to infect both of them but Raitaki squealed.
Yea... if Rai didn't squeal, null might have actually had a chance of victory. I feel like null were extremely out of place here. They only hurt the town's chance of victory pretty much. Now, if a null apocalypse had actually happened, I'm not sure how the game would've ended up. I think maybe a buff to the null could be that if two null null'd a mafia, the mafia died immediately, instead of waiting another night. Thinking about plain null versus mafia situations, mafia would probably win because they can control the day votes and the null would most likely continuously be nulling themselves.

None.

Oct 20 2012, 4:49 am Roy Post #307

The interesting thing is that the Zombies were instantly stopped in Azrael's game as well, even though they have such a good chance of causing widespread infection. I saw the fight as hopeless had TiKels been innocent, and I would have probably just started working with Null.

Oct 20 2012, 4:52 am Generalpie Post #308

Staredit Puckwork

I'd like to nominate Az for MVP... After all, he orchestrated everything from the start. (the only thing I did was pick a scenario choice he lined out in the beginning)

None.

Oct 20 2012, 5:09 am Raitaki Post #309

lol, at first I thought lil and Coon were talking really like Null was among them, but I shrugged it off on the possibility of me being a paranoid ass :P

None.

Oct 20 2012, 5:16 am Roy Post #310

Also, here's a handy guide for future games (100% accurate thus far):

Oct 20 2012, 6:01 am Fire_Kame Post #311

wth is starcraft

Well, okay, time for a long drawn out post with my opinions.

First off, the players. I should start with Lanthanide. Really dude? You're going to throw a fit over something because you weren't paying attention? This isn't kindergarten, it's no longer funny or witty for you to speak up when no one else cares. You ended the game at least a day early, partially much more than that. Secondly, my initial reaction when I saw the mafia drawn as Az/Me/GeneralPie was that the roles weren't chosen accidentally and that Aristocrat wanted us to flail wildly. Luckily Azrael developed a keen strategy, and as I'm still learning the ropes of mafia I gladly obliged. Roy I'll be honest, even if I were town I'd find the posts you made on this last day to be incredibly shady. It was too much information - or more realistically - too many words, and each post seemed to be contradicting itself. I should also mention, it was my idea for Wing Zero's death to emulate the Stampede death from Lion King, and to replace his last will with "All Hail the lion King." I was really mocking town at that point, but I'm glad it served as some sort of misdirect. :kame:

The host. Aristocrat made several glaring errors throughout the game, most dealing with using /r instead of /w [target] in the shoutbox, some of which was easily remedied. I'll admit when Raccoon targeted Pie and I, I had thought that Aristocrat had told him (ergo "Aristocrat wants us to flail wildly"). One of his /r accidents actually greatly benefited us. Otherwise I thought the game was hosted well, and I greatly appreciate Aristocrat speeding up the game to twenty four hours after a certain point. It helped ensure the game would be completed (as apparently this was a past problem). Although I complained about the thread not being updated on time it wasn't truly a problem for me, and seriously it had nothing to do with me being mafia - I was just very very tired, and this week has been, like, the most stressful week ever.

Myself. I thought trying to play it off that I was town would be hard. In Lil's game I posted frequently - too frequently, really. I'd make wild accusations, ask a lot of questions, and generally acted like a noob. I tried to do that in this game while trying to fly beneath the radar. Last game, Roy asked me on the second day what my role was. No one ever questioned my role in this game. I thought that was strange, but I have never played mafia. As such I think the fact that I'm still a somewhat obscured player made it easier for me to slide by. Also my job felt very easy - I almost thought it was that mafia was overpowered, but according to the end posts it looks like Lanth dying complicated the game significantly, as did inactivity.

Roles. This has been a major complaint of mine, and why it had taken me so long to get into Mafia. The roles were entirely too complicated. What's the point of having so many different abilities that in order to balance these abilities you have to give everyone else some sort of abilities? That never seems fun to me, and apparently it doesn't even do much in player retention. Even if you had left the days and night cycles at forty eight hours that still would've been only twenty days to understand, internalize and efficiently use all roles. Not doing so meant death for your side. It just boggles my mind and seems ridiculous.

Clues. The only person that interpreted clues against me was Raccoon - and according to the post on the last page it looks like those clues weren't even intentional? When Raccoon contacted me so early in the game I was upset, as was my mafia brethren. Aristocrat ensured us that it wasn't his doing that Raccoon found out about Pie and I, that Raccoon had perfectly sound reasoning that we were promised at the end of the game, which I am ready for. I don't see it on the last page. The clues Raccoon brought up - constant talk of swiftness and agility - left me feeling singled out. (For those that don't know, my avatar is of a meme called Speedy Cat. I requested to Aristocrat that I make suggestions as to how I 'kill' my victims. He agrees to take into consideration what I have to say, on the principal that Azrael doesn't intentionally use them for false clues. Azrael complies, and I can post my suggested kill methods for anyone to see, if you'd like. As it turns out no one looked too deeply at the clues or kill methods beyond Raccoon, so it was for not. Hence, the cliff scene at the end. >:3 Not only were the clues useless, it also made the game less fun for me. According to the past post, too, it looked like clues weren't used consistently enough to hold any weight anyways, so why even have them?

Lastly, and almost as important as the clues post, I want to bring up the disturbing and irritating behavior of Raccoon. Once he had "figured out" I was mafia, he sent a PM to Pie and I. Pie ignored right away, but I like to pick fights, so I kept egging him on, denying anything, that sort of thing. When he indited me it wasn't any surprise that no one really sided with him. He was a little abrasive. What really pissed me right off was that after he died he continued to bother me, right up until day four, about my role.

Oct 20 2012, 6:16 am Azrael Post #312

@My teammates, congratulations on a game well played :)

Quote from Fire_Kame
What's the point of having so many different abilities that in order to balance these abilities you have to give everyone else some sort of abilities?

It adds depth to the gameplay by creating many branching layers in game progression and in considering strategic viability.

It's much more fun, to me, to have a well-balanced game where every role can potentially be a game-changer if played well, than to have a game where it's only balanced because everyone is completely equal through blandness.

Quote from Fire_Kame
Aristocrat ensured us that it wasn't his doing that Raccoon found out about Pie and I, that Raccoon had perfectly sound reasoning that we were promised at the end of the game, which I am ready for.

I'm also ready for this. He PMed both Kame and General in the same PM at the beginning of the game, saying he knew they were Mafia. At the same time, he whispered me, saying he knew my identity as well, and asking me what the Megamass Researcher's powers were.

At that time, Raccoon also said to me "Researcher can manipulate last wills" before anyone had even had a last will posted. It wasn't one random guess of many, it was a single definitive statement which he refused to elaborate on.

Aristocrat said he thought Raccoon had a good reason for these behaviors.

I'd like to hear that reasoning from either of you.

Oct 20 2012, 6:24 am Fire_Kame Post #313

wth is starcraft

So many roles or abilities just reeks of "everyone's a winner! :wtfawesome:" and I feel like that detracts from the game significantly.

Oct 20 2012, 6:35 am Azrael Post #314

Quote from Fire_Kame
So many roles or abilities just reeks of "everyone's a winner! :wtfawesome:"

It's more like "everyone has the potential to be a winner, but only one side can win".

As this game demonstrated, everyone is not a winner.

Oct 20 2012, 6:36 am Aristocrat Post #315

http://www.staredit.net/?p=shoutbox&view=1829

None.

Oct 20 2012, 7:08 am Lanthanide Post #316

Quote from Fire_Kame
First off, the players. I should start with Lanthanide. Really dude? You're going to throw a fit over something because you weren't paying attention? This isn't kindergarten, it's no longer funny or witty for you to speak up when no one else cares. You ended the game at least a day early, partially much more than that.
I'm not entirely sure what you're even trying to say here because it doesn't make a lot of sense.

Regardless, let me know how you would react when you end up in a game you don't want to play (and didn't have time to play), with a very powerful role that you know will severely hurt one faction in the game if you choose to quit the game (that you never intended to join in the first place).

None.

Oct 20 2012, 7:12 am Fire_Kame Post #317

wth is starcraft

I played to the end, and won.

Like you I clicked it, but I clicked it because I was a troll and it felt wrong to ignore. When I was included in the game I was like, eh, my fault, and so I continued without throwing a big fit. And won.

Oct 20 2012, 7:16 am Lanthanide Post #318

Yay for you?

None.

Oct 20 2012, 7:17 am Fire_Kame Post #319

wth is starcraft

If you didn't want a response, why did you ask?

Oct 20 2012, 7:25 am Lanthanide Post #320

Your response is unconvincing, since you already posted in the thread indicating that you were thinking about playing. I hadn't so much as read the first post, except to see it was all power-roles and anime-related gibberish, in addition to the whole lack of time thing.

I figured that the host of a mafia game would actually be interested in making sure it was as fun as possible for all participants and would therefore treat the situation I found myself in with some modicum of common sense; looks like I was wrong. The only alternative was for me to remain idle all game.

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 « 14 15 16 17 18 >
  Back to forum