Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 Contests > Topic: SEN Duke Nukem Melee 1v1 Tournament
SEN Duke Nukem Melee 1v1 Tournament
Jun 14 2012, 12:29 am
By: Jack  

Jun 19 2012, 12:29 am lil-Inferno Post #21

Just here for the pie

Dumb tourney. Jack violated his own rules.

Jun 19 2012, 12:31 am Biophysicist Post #22

What did he do?

None.

Jun 19 2012, 12:47 am lil-Inferno Post #23

Just here for the pie

Quote from Biophysicist
What did he do?
Used comsats, turrets, and bunkers when the rules say you can only use Ghosts, SCVs, and nukes.

Jun 19 2012, 1:15 am Roy Post #24

An artist's depiction of an Extended Unit Death

Quote from lil-Inferno
Quote from Biophysicist
What did he do?
Used comsats, turrets, and bunkers when the rules say you can only use Ghosts, SCVs, and nukes.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but those are all buildings, and Ghosts/SCVs/Nukes are all units. Since the rule is only restricting unit construction, why is it automatically a violation to make buildings? You may as well say everyone cheated for building Supply Depots and Factories.

And technically, creating buildings are SCV abilities. Are you saying Ghost cloaking and SCV repairing/mining weren't supposed to be allowed?

I dunno; I would have allowed it if I ran this tournament.

Jun 19 2012, 1:21 am OlimarandLouie Post #25

Ok, I'm back, sorry for lateness, who am I playing and what server?

None.

Jun 19 2012, 1:32 am lil-Inferno Post #26

Just here for the pie

Quote from Roy
Quote from lil-Inferno
Quote from Biophysicist
What did he do?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but those are all buildings, and Ghosts/SCVs/Nukes are all units. Since the rule is only restricting unit construction, why is it automatically a violation to make buildings? You may as well say everyone cheated for building Supply Depots and Factories.

And technically, creating buildings are SCV abilities. Are you saying Ghost cloaking and SCV repairing/mining weren't supposed to be allowed?

I dunno; I would have allowed it if I ran this tournament.
Maybe he should have enumerated that, because when he talked to me about it he said SCVs, Ghosts, and nukes are the only things you can use.

Jun 19 2012, 1:45 am Jack Post #27

>be faceless void >mfw I have no face

It's pretty clear from the OP I'd say; however, next time I will be sure to make it extremely clear what is allowed.

Update is that I'm through to the finals, and we've got the winners bracket semifinals to go still. Vrael and 4cast are duking it out in the...quarterfinals still, the winner will go against jjf.

Red classic.

"In short, their absurdities are so extreme that it is painful even to quote them."

Jun 19 2012, 2:59 am Jack Post #28

OK, I screwed up the losers bracket a little because of people ragequitting (inferno and cadia) and people coming late (OlimarandLouie), but basically I'm not in the finals. JJf knocked me out, and Vrael is in the finals.
Current game is 4cast vs OlimarandLouie. The winner will go against Vrael, and the winner of that is the winner of the tournament.

Then we'll probably play a FFA for fun.

Stream is http://www.twitch.tv/sen_birdie

Red classic.

"In short, their absurdities are so extreme that it is painful even to quote them."

Jun 19 2012, 3:48 am Cadia- Post #29

didnt rage quit it took too long man i had plans ill play you any time? i was there waiting for a game for almost 30 mins then my other game i had to wait more i had already made plans mabey this should be planed better so ppl can get rtight into the first games might work out better

dont know just my opinion

this was fun we should host another though

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Jun 19 2012, 3:56 am by Cadia-.

None.

Jun 19 2012, 6:44 am jjf28 Post #30

Cartography Artisan

Vrael wins in a frustrating finish!

TheNitesWhoSay - Clan Aura - github

Reached the top of StarCraft theory crafting 2:12 AM CST, August 2nd, 2014.

Jun 19 2012, 6:54 am Vrael Post #31

I win! Here's all my matches. Me and jj decided to do 1 game instead of best of 3, and since he made it draw out two fucking hours I'm fine with that :) (though we agreed before the game started to just do 1).

Here were my matches:
I played RIVE, 4cast, jjf28 (im4real), then jjf28 again in the final. 4-0 baby!

Also I don't need your minerals, but I will take this:

I won an entire SCBW melee tournament using nothing but SCVs, Ghosts, and Nukes!

Attachments:
Vrael.v.Rive.rep
Hits: 0 Size: 88.17kb
Vrael.v.4cast.rep
Hits: 0 Size: 81.82kb
Vrael.v.im4real.rep
Hits: 0 Size: 97.14kb
Vrael.v.im4real-final.rep
Hits: 1 Size: 177.25kb

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Jun 19 2012, 6:59 am by Vrael.

None.

Jun 19 2012, 8:35 am RIVE Post #32

Just Here For The Pie

Eight minutes of fury, right here.

Origin SCV rushed me, and, although I had previously joked about it, I am not going to lie: dick move, guy. Dick move.

Attachments:
RIVE_vs_Origin.rep
Hits: 0 Size: 69.52kb

None.

Jun 19 2012, 10:42 am Jack Post #33

Cadia yeah it's my first time hosting a tournament, I've learned a lot from it on how to run the next one.

FINAL RESULTS

(akas: jjf28 = rs_yes-im4real
Origin = Gantrithor = DukeNukem)

The first four matches were: (winning players are BOLD

lil-Inferno vs Jack[RCDF

jjf28 vs Cadia

Vrael vs RIVE

Gantrithor vs KHD-4cast

lil-inferno, Cadia, RIVE, and Gantrithor went into the losers bracket; Jack[RCDF, jjf28, Vrael, and KHD-4cast stayed in.

Continuing the winners bracket were the next two games:

Jack[RCDF vs jjf28

Vrael vs KHD-4cast

The semifinals on the winners bracket side was:
Vrael vs jjf28

Vrael was through to the finals!

Over to the Losers Bracket, where things had become rather messy. lil-Inferno had used marines in the previous game, and was therefore disqualified. And Cadia had gone afk, so their game was never started. In addition, OlimarandLouie showed up quite late. To balance things out I gave myself a bye and had OlimarandLouie start in the losers bracket as a penalty for arriving late (plus there was no other way he'd be able to play otherwise). Resulting in only one game in the bottom of the losers bracket:

Origin vs RIVE

Next Jack[RCDF and KHD-4cast came down from the winners bracket, so we had two games in the second round of the losers bracket (told you it got messy).

Jack[RCDF vs Gantrithor

OlimarandLouie vs KHD-4cast

In the THIRD round of the losers bracket, jjf28 came down from the winners bracket, with Jack[RCDF and KHD-4cast. 4cast was given a bye, giving us one match:

jjf28 vs Jack[RCDF

And to complete the losers bracket semifinals, we had:

jjf28 vs KHD-4cast

With jjf28 going through to the finals.

The finals dragged on for quite some time (2 hours apparently) as jjf28 and Vrael duked it out with their nukes, but finally Vrael took out the victory! (Prior to the game they agreed to play a best-of-one as the games took quite some time. Next time I'll use a map or style that is quicker :P)

Thank you to everyone who showed up, I had a blast and found that I quite enjoy commentating games, although I have plenty to work on with respect to casting and also running tournaments. I hope I'll see you all in the next tournament, hopefully in a month or two's time!

(note: I realize that everything didn't go EXACTLY to plan, and I'll definitely work on making things more slick and understood by the players next time)

Red classic.

Jun 19 2012, 12:33 pm Cadia- Post #34

mabey we can orginize another tourney for next month or somthing?

None.

Jun 19 2012, 9:46 pm Vrael Post #35

Quote from name:jack[rcdf
Next time I'll use a map or style that is quicker
Yes that would be appreciated. It sucked when I had control of 90% of the map but couldnt do anything to level my resources to an advantage. The map had been completely exhausted of minerals and gas, except for the +2 from vespene geysers when they're exhausted. jjf28 wanted me to waste my minerals and force the match to a draw I think, which wouldnt even have been close if I had been able to build 1 freaking dropship. In one of my major assaults I actually flew like 14 barracks into his base and tried to land them and start building ghosts from the inside, but his choke was so tightly defended that my simultaneous assault didnt do shit, AND he could just block my barracks from landing cause they're so slow and require so much landing space. With 1 dropship I could've gotten ghosts close enough to nuke his actual base. It didn't help that at the very end of the game he only had 1 starport flying over an unreachable patch of terrain, and if I'd been out of resources I would've been forced to draw with him despite killing his entire base and having 100% map control. I finally won the game with something like 1600 minerals remaining. That means I spent 1500x(8+8+6+8+8+8) + 500 or so - 1600 = 67900 minerals approximately. Over 20,000 of that was used just killing his main non-expansion base. I thought it was quite ridiculous that I had so many resources but nothing I could reasonably hurt him with.

Also the map was unbalanced. You couldn't block the bottom right hand choke correctly, but the top one you could. Didn't end up mattering since ghosts could fit through both blocks, but for scv scouts its something to consider.

Edit:
All that said, I did use a shitload of 5-nuke vollies in the true Duke Nukem spirit :D

None.

Jun 19 2012, 10:23 pm Jack Post #36

Someone proposed that the next tournament be cheese-only, which would make the games very quick. Cannon rushing, bunker rushing, 6pool, 4pool, worker rush, 3 minute all ins, etc. Anyone like the sound of that? (we'd presumably need to come up with rules like, say, no wallins, to prevent the games being non cheesy.)

Or we could just do a standard melee tournament.

Red classic.

Jun 19 2012, 10:32 pm Vrael Post #37

I mined 68696 minerals from the replay, not 67900.

I don't think that sounds very balanced. For one thing, most of those strategies aren't actually cheese. For example, a cannon rush on lost temple is legitimate because there aren't any terrain features to abuse, and you can use your cliff to fight it off. On BGH, you can cannon rush cheese because there are minerals where u can fit a probe behind and block anything from attacking it with 1 pylon. A 4pool or 6pool isn't cheese, if it fails you almost certainly lose, and in 1v1 you need to do all the scouting on your own. Bunker rush isn't cheese, you can always kill the scv, only way it works is if your opponent either has no men or doesn't scout and doesn't see you build it. Worker rush sux because terran wins.

We could just play the map Starcraft Tournament, which is sorta like melee. It gives you 5, 10, or 15 minutes to build an army, and whatever you build in that 15 minute time you're stuck with. The map has built-in tournament triggers, keeps track of your army when it dies and rebuilds it for you the next round. Its a starcraft classic.

None.

Jul 3 2012, 3:33 am Cadia- Post #38

thats a good idea we should for sure do the starcraft tournemant!

None.

Jul 3 2012, 3:44 am Jack Post #39

I won't run a StarCraft Tournament style tournament, sorry. Also, I'm busy with the mapping contests and the D ranks team league and probably won't host another tournament in the next 3 months.

Red classic.

Options
  Back to forum