Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 Contests > Topic: 1-Week Summer Contest (Discussion)
1-Week Summer Contest (Discussion)
May 7 2012, 5:19 pm
By: Kaias
Pages: < 1 « 5 6 7 8 >

Jun 7 2012, 5:45 am GGmano StaxxizBack Post #121

....why you guys making this more difficult than it has to be.

The word you guys are looking for is "Tools". Prepare your tools.

You have a test at school, you pack your pencils, pens, paper, calculator etc.
Youre a carpenter you pack your nails, hammer, measuring tape, etc

Youre mapping....
Map editor
Sound files
Etc

Anything that you use as a "tool" for a map should be prepared. Go ahead and download whatever you need just don't alter/edit anything before the contest has begun.

None.

Jun 7 2012, 1:00 pm Roy Post #122

An artist's depiction of an Extended Unit Death

Quote from Mini Moose 2707
Less talk, more contest and more maps.
This is a discussion thread.

You have a test at school, you pack your pencils, pens, paper, calculator etc.
Go ahead and collect the books you need to study, but don't actually use them to study before the test has begun, and don't sharpen your pencils before then, either.
Analogies are meant for clarity, not argumentative purposes.

My sound is already all edited an prepared from a long time ago, so I don't know why I'm fighting so hard for this. I'd say it pays to be prepared, but you guys don't want people to prepare anymore, so I don't know what this is.

Jun 8 2012, 12:41 am GGmano StaxxizBack Post #123

Quote from Roy
My sound is already all edited an prepared from a long time ago, so I don't know why I'm fighting so hard for this. I'd say it pays to be prepared, but you guys don't want people to prepare anymore, so I don't know what this is.

Exactly, it is already a tool of yours therefore there should be no qualms.

In case anyone decides to bring it up, pre-made triggers would be like starting the test before the teacher tells you that you may turn your test over and begin.

None.

Jun 8 2012, 12:45 am Sacrieur Post #124

Still Napping

I would advocate composing a trigger "quick sheet" that has a few pre-made essential triggers that every contestant may use, like hyper triggers.

None.

Jun 8 2012, 12:51 am Jack Post #125

>be faceless void >mfw I have no face

Stuff that, I'm here to make a map in a week, we don't need itty bitty little rules for every little thing. Sheesh.

Red classic.

"In short, their absurdities are so extreme that it is painful even to quote them."

Jun 8 2012, 6:39 am GGmano StaxxizBack Post #126

I would consider these basic standards, not "itty bitty" little rules. A week is also plenty of time to make a map, for myself at least. Either way i doubt i will partake in this contest as there are no teams just enjoying bickering with you guys :bleh:

None.

Jun 8 2012, 10:21 am Jack Post #127

>be faceless void >mfw I have no face

I would consider these basic standards, not "itty bitty" little rules. A week is also plenty of time to make a map, for myself at least. Either way i doubt i will partake in this contest as there are no teams just enjoying bickering with you guys :bleh:
A list of triggers which you are allowed to premake is itty bitty. Hyper triggers take only a moment to make anyway, and just about everything else should be made from scratch. As for sounds, Kaias doesn't seem to have a problem with it, only Azrael does, so unless Kaias puts in a rule about audio I'll be preselecting some audio which might come in handy. All this bickering doesn't actually help anything at all, you're all better off planning your map with the time spent fighting.

Then again, it is SEN. I shouldn't be surprised.

Red classic.

"In short, their absurdities are so extreme that it is painful even to quote them."

Jun 8 2012, 1:27 pm GGmano StaxxizBack Post #128

...am i typing in french?

Anyways, i've dropped in my 2 cents. At the end of the day it's Kaias' contest.

None.

Jun 8 2012, 6:32 pm Sacrieur Post #129

Still Napping

Now that I think back I remember how I dealt with this. Everything extra that was submitted in a map (sounds/music, more specifically) must have been created by you during the contest (and must be an original work).

Sound and music obviously can enhance a map, leading to a higher score. It's not so much nitpicking as saying, "If x may have a direct result on your final score, then x must be created during the contest."

None.

Jun 8 2012, 10:25 pm Kaias Post #130

I suppose I should weigh in again.

I'm sure most of us have built up a library of sound files that we like to use and its silly to think that people shouldn't be able to use what they already have. People should also be allowed to continue building up their resources. It gets shady though when you're creating sounds specifically tailored to your planned map. Use your own judgement to decide whether or not you're being fair to the spirit of the contest. For instance, I have all the audio for Diablo 1 and 2 and a bunch of other games already extracted and in wav format on my desktop and I plan to extract all the Mass Effect weapon noises before July 8th- I might have some idea of what sounds I might use (since I've used plenty of them before), but I'm not going to actually go through and select the wavs I'm going to use until the contest begins.

Quote from Sacrieur
I would advocate composing a trigger "quick sheet" that has a few pre-made essential triggers that every contestant may use, like hyper triggers.
Anything general enough to go on a quick sheet is simple enough to make yourself with ease (IE hypertriggers).

By the way, I said earlier in the thread that macro triggerers are allowed. At the time I hadn't created Oreo triggers (which is much more powerful than Wormer's Macrotriggers)- I'm allowing the use of tools like http://www.staredit.net/topic/15156/ and ProTrigs in the contest. There's a reason I released Oreo trigs a full month before the contest start date.

None.

Jun 9 2012, 1:41 pm FuNkY Post #131

Count me in...!
What type of map?
certain size?

Jun 10 2012, 3:17 pm Biophysicist Post #132

I'm... Going to try to do this, but I'm not entirely sure if my computer has enough RAM nor bandwidth to livestream well. In fact I'm almost sure it doesn't; I will check for sure when possible, but if I'm correct is there anything I can do instead or w/e? >.>

EDIT: Oh my! I completely forgot half of my question. Were I to bring in a friend (who doesn't even play SC, let alone map) to do some voice acting, would that be acceptable?

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Jun 10 2012, 4:58 pm by Biophysicist.

None.

Jun 10 2012, 5:12 pm Roy Post #133

Quote from Biophysicist
I'm... Going to try to do this, but I'm not entirely sure if my computer has enough RAM nor bandwidth to livestream well. In fact I'm almost sure it doesn't; I will check for sure when possible, but if I'm correct is there anything I can do instead or w/e? >.>
I don't have enough speed to have a coherent stream myself (not to mention my roommates would start flipping tables if I took all the bandwidth). I think the proposed alternative was to upload your map at the end of each day if streaming isn't an option.

Quote from Biophysicist
EDIT: Oh my! I completely forgot half of my question. Were I to bring in a friend (who doesn't even play SC, let alone map) to do some voice acting, would that be acceptable?
Absolutely, though (based on previous sound conversations) you should wait until after the contest has started before recording the audio.

Jun 10 2012, 5:27 pm Biophysicist Post #134

I don't have enough speed to have a coherent stream myself (not to mention my roommates would start flipping tables if I took all the bandwidth). I think the proposed alternative was to upload your map at the end of each day if streaming isn't an option.
Panic mode: Disengaged.

Absolutely, though (based on previous sound conversations) you should wait until after the contest has started before recording the audio.
Well, yes, I intended to.

...Wait, uhm, at the risk of offense, wouldn't Kaias need to answer that, though? I mean, I think he's the one running this...? Or are you as well?

None.

Jun 10 2012, 5:34 pm Roy Post #135

No, I'm not running this; it's a discussion thread, so if anyone objects, they'll be sure to yell at us. Ultimately Kaias has the last word.

Jun 10 2012, 5:57 pm Biophysicist Post #136

Ah, okay. I wasn't trying to be rude! I honestly wasn't entirely sure, because of the way you phrased it.

[...]so if anyone objects, they'll be sure to yell at us.
Qft.

None.

Jun 10 2012, 6:08 pm IskatuMesk Post #137

Lord of the Locker Room

Quote from Kaias
I plan to extract all the Mass Effect weapon noises before July 8th-

Would you be willing to share these? I'd like to expand my collection. In return, I can arrange sending you any manner of what I am in possession of. It's a lot. PM me if you'd like to discuss more.

As far as sounds are concerned, I would figure making something specific to a map would be stuff like dialogue. Otherwise, library resources are always something I amass before doing something. I consider them an asset pool, if you will. Amassing an asset pool doesn't necessarily mean I will use them, nor are they specific to any project. They are a resource, like free textures on the internet.

Show them your butt, and when you do, slap it so it creates a sound akin to a chorus of screaming spider monkeys flogging a chime with cacti. Only then can you find your destiny at the tip of the shaft.

Jun 11 2012, 2:06 am Leeroy_Jenkins Post #138

Count me in!

None.

Jun 11 2012, 2:08 am Kaias Post #139

Quote from Biophysicist
Oh my! I completely forgot half of my question. Were I to bring in a friend (who doesn't even play SC, let alone map) to do some voice acting, would that be acceptable?
Fine by me.

Quote from IskatuMesk
Quote from Kaias
I plan to extract all the Mass Effect weapon noises before July 8th-

Would you be willing to share these? I'd like to expand my collection. In return, I can arrange sending you any manner of what I am in possession of. It's a lot. PM me if you'd like to discuss more.

As far as sounds are concerned, I would figure making something specific to a map would be stuff like dialogue. Otherwise, library resources are always something I amass before doing something. I consider them an asset pool, if you will. Amassing an asset pool doesn't necessarily mean I will use them, nor are they specific to any project. They are a resource, like free textures on the internet.
I'll PM you once I actually do it.

None.

Jun 11 2012, 4:26 am LoveLess Post #140

Let me show you how to hump without making love.

Sounds fun. Count me in.

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 « 5 6 7 8 >
  Back to forum