Staredit Network > Forums > SC2 Assistance > Topic: Creating a Skill shot?
Creating a Skill shot?
Jan 15 2012, 8:43 am
By: wakkwakk  

Jan 15 2012, 8:43 am wakkwakk Post #1

First time post in the StarEdit forums..

I'm fairly new to the SC editor and could really use some help. Do you guys have resources or advice for a beginner to be able to make a skill shot based attack? Something simliar too the skill shot in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qibb3x2veLg.

Thanks in advance, I really need the help.

None.

Jan 15 2012, 4:18 pm Roy Post #2

An artist's depiction of an Extended Unit Death

Welcome to SEN!

There's a really nice tutorial on creating a shock-wave ability here: http://rileystarcraft.blogspot.com/2010/05/tutorial-how-to-create-shockwave.html

The only thing you'd want to change from it is how it handles damage. I would be lazy and just make a trigger checking if it collides with an enemy and detonates on the unit if it does.

Jan 15 2012, 4:25 pm DevliN Post #3

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

If the ability is missile-based, you can also just attach the Suicide effect to it so it explodes on impact.

\:devlin\: Currently Working On: \:devlin\:
My Overwatch addiction.

Jan 15 2012, 4:49 pm Ahli Post #4

I do stuff and thingies... Try widening and reducing the number of small nooks and crannies to correct the problem.

To let a missile fly into a direction, you need to create a persistent effect and launch the missile to a point with an offset.

To hit something on contact, you need to give the missile a behavior that periodically executes a search effect searching for enemies.

I've made an example for that and attached it to this post.

You could extend it to explode on cliff level changes, but I've never done that.

Attachments:
skillshotTest.SC2Map
Hits: 14 Size: 12.18kb

Jan 15 2012, 5:22 pm Aniketos Post #5

Quote from Ahli
To let a missile fly into a direction, you need to create a persistent effect and launch the missile to a point with an offset.

To hit something on contact, you need to give the missile a behavior that periodically executes a search effect searching for enemies.

I've made an example for that and attached it to this post.

You could extend it to explode on cliff level changes, but I've never done that.

That's interesting. We're looking to create a skill shot that lands where you mouse over. We may actually create a minimum range to some of the shots within our game eventually but for right now we're just looking to create a simple mouse over skill shot. How would we go about creating that?

None.

Jan 15 2012, 5:54 pm Ahli Post #6

I do stuff and thingies... Try widening and reducing the number of small nooks and crannies to correct the problem.

Quote from Aniketos
We're looking to create a skill shot that lands where you mouse over. We may actually create a minimum range to some of the shots within our game eventually but for right now we're just looking to create a simple mouse over skill shot. How would we go about creating that?
What do you mean with mouse over skill shot?
-> Projectile flying to target point instead of flying into a direction?

Jan 15 2012, 7:20 pm Aniketos Post #7

Quote from Ahli
Quote from Aniketos
We're looking to create a skill shot that lands where you mouse over. We may actually create a minimum range to some of the shots within our game eventually but for right now we're just looking to create a simple mouse over skill shot. How would we go about creating that?
What do you mean with mouse over skill shot?
-> Projectile flying to target point instead of flying into a direction?

The projectile moves to where my cursor is located

None.

Jan 15 2012, 8:31 pm Ahli Post #8

Like infestor's infested terran eggs?
Then that's a simple "effect - target" ability that has a launch effect in the ability.

If the missile should follow the mouse during flying time, that's a lot harder because you either need to click all the time or you need to track mouse movement with triggers.

Jan 17 2012, 6:50 pm DevliN Post #9

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

Quote from Ahli
or you need to track mouse movement with triggers.
To add on to this, essentially you'd have to figure out a system that tracks your cursor's position on the screen (which perhaps someone has done already) and then coincide a trigger that orders the missile to move to that position. I'm not sure how trigger lag or rapid movement of the cursor will mess the idea up, though.

\:devlin\: Currently Working On: \:devlin\:
My Overwatch addiction.

Options
  Back to forum