Staredit Network > Forums > Null > Topic: Internet Congress
Internet Congress
Dec 7 2011, 1:37 am
By: rayNimagi
Pages: < 1 « 14 15 16 17 18 >

Jan 28 2012, 4:33 am rayNimagi Post #301

Yr 6 Bills

Quote from Lanthanide
I thought 'phased' policies is how it was supposed to work anyway.
I hadn't planned on removing any policy objectives from players, and phased policies would require point-banking.

Having the different time periods seems pointless, too. Just give everyone 48 hours to submit bills, an extra 24 hours afterwards to vote on them and then wait for the president to post whether they pass them or not. Having individual time periods per bill seems like a lot of wasted effort.
Agreed, I think the next game should be like that.

Quote from name:Azrael.Wrath
Quote from rayNimagi
Publicly displayed scores every 2 years

This can't happen, would be inherently broken.
Afraid that people would try to take you down whenever you get into the lead? :interested: Some of my favorite games are based upon "There can only be one winner," where people turn against the leading scorer as he approaches victory. It keeps the game more interesting and dynamic, in my opinion.

There's just a lack of stuff to do, especially in situations when you already have a good idea of what bills will pass for the rest of the game.
I agree.

If you want to make alterations, I would suggest coming up with ideas to expand the gameplay through new mechanics, instead of altering the preexisting ones.
I had thought of implementing roles with unique powers such as Vice President, Supreme Court Justice, President Pro Tempore, Filibusterer, Secretary of State and even Rules Committee Chairman. These roles would be appointed by the President, and might imbalance the game. Plus, it would make the game more complex, which is bad when I'm trying to keep things simple.

Also, I thought of a yearly budget mechanic. The President would create a bill that contains an increase or decrease on every policy in the game (regular bill rules still apply: 50% increase, 50% decrease). This would be the only type of bill a President could introduce.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Jan 29 2012, 5:20 pm by rayNimagi.

Win by luck, lose by skill.

Jan 28 2012, 5:10 am Azrael Post #302

Quote from rayNimagi
Quote from name:Azrael.Wrath
Quote from rayNimagi
Publicly displayed scores every 2 years

This can't happen, would be inherently broken.
Afraid that people would try to take you down whenever you get into the lead? :interested:

More like, the eventual winner wouldn't be determined by skill, because the most skilled player would be immediately obvious and kept suppressed by the other players. Everyone would have to keep their heads down and maintain scores roughly equivalent to everyone else's until the last term, so everything up to that point would be entirely irrelevant. It just wouldn't be fun.

Quote from rayNimagi
Some of my favorite games are based upon "There can only be one winner," where people turn against the leading scorer as he approaches victory.

My favorite board game, Settlers of Catan, is completely centered around that concept. It works because there's multiple ways to win, and you don't necessarily need the help of other players to achieve victory. Almost everything is public knowledge all the time as well.

Applying that to this game, where you require the help of other people to advance and the entire thing is based around secret information, would be inherently broken.

Quote from rayNimagi
It keeps the game more interesting and dynamic, in my opinion.

Not this game. The game is not any less interesting or dynamic because "someone is leading by too much". No one knows scores at all so that isn't a problem.

Playing well would be punished and everyone would have roughly the same score the entire game regardless of what they did. No one would bother trying because of the consequences, everyone would just be mediocre and the eventual winner would be determined entirely by the last term, so basically, at random. Definitely not interesting or dynamic, it'd make it about as pointless and static as possible.

It would completely undermine the gameplay and prevent any possible strategy which is otherwise present.

Jan 28 2012, 9:12 pm O)FaRTy1billion[MM] Post #303

👻 👾 👽 💪

Yes on PIP I guess?

Because hilarious.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Jan 28 2012, 9:57 pm by FaRTy1billion.

TinyMap2 - Latest in map compression! ( 7/09/14 - New build! )
EUD Action Enabler - Lightweight EUD/EPD support! (ChaosLauncher/MPQDraft support!)
EUDDB - topic - Help out by adding your EUDs! Or Submit reference files in the References tab!
MapSketch - New image->map generator!
EUDTrig - topic - Quickly and easily convert offsets to EUDs! (extended players supported)
SC2 Map Texture Mask Importer/Exporter - Edit texture placement in an image editor!
\:farty\: This page has been viewed [img]http://farty1billion.dyndns.org/Clicky.php?img.gif[/img] times!

Jan 28 2012, 11:25 pm OlimarandLouie Post #304

I shall vote yes on PIP

None.

Jan 29 2012, 4:30 am rayNimagi Post #305

Yr 6 Bills

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Jan 29 2012, 5:20 pm by rayNimagi.

Jan 29 2012, 5:08 am Lanthanide Post #306

Final Yes on Tikels' bill.

None.

Jan 29 2012, 5:21 pm rayNimagi Post #307

payne's bill awaits presidential action.

Yr 6 Bills

Jan 29 2012, 5:38 pm Azrael Post #308

I sign payne's bill.

Jan 30 2012, 3:29 am rayNimagi Post #309

Payne's Bill and Proposition Omega have passed. Raitaki's Bill will soon be available for action from the President.

Yr 6 Bills

In future games, I think I'll allow the President to pre-sign any bills before the voting time expires.

Jan 31 2012, 1:43 am rayNimagi Post #310

Raitaki's and Lanthanide's Bills await presidential action. Proposition PIP has gone into effect.

Yr 6 Bills

Jan 31 2012, 2:21 am Lanthanide Post #311

Haha, PIP requires people vote Yes in order to be eligible to win. This means payne and poison can't win :P

None.

Jan 31 2012, 3:28 am payne Post #312

:payne:

Quote from Lanthanide
Haha, PIP requires people vote Yes in order to be eligible to win. This means payne and poison can't win :P
I'm already losing. ;D

None.

Jan 31 2012, 3:47 am Azrael Post #313

Sorry Raitaki, but I have to veto your bill, for reasons of which you're already aware. I'd say you should pay more attention to party messages in the future, but this is the last year now :P

I veto Raitaki's bill.

I sign Lanthanide's bill.

I sign TiKels' bill.

Jan 31 2012, 4:11 am rayNimagi Post #314

A 2/3rds YES majority on Raitaki's' Bill by ~9:45pm (or 24 hours after Azrael's veto) on January 31st will override Azrael's veto. Currently, Congress has a 100% YES vote on
Raitaki's Bill.

Yr 6 Bills

Post has been edited 2 time(s), last time on Jan 31 2012, 4:41 am by rayNimagi.

Jan 31 2012, 4:21 am Raitaki Post #315

You mean my bill? :P

None.

Jan 31 2012, 4:43 am rayNimagi Post #316

I don't know what you're talking about. :shifty:

Jan 31 2012, 5:00 am Lanthanide Post #317

You still got it wrong, Ray. There's only 66% YES on Raitaki's bill.

None.

Jan 31 2012, 5:07 am Azrael Post #318

Anyone who doesn't have Healthcare should be voting "no". The idea was to not introduce increases in the new policies, since any SRP member doing so would necessarily screw the others since our new policies were all different.

Also, really unsure why votes are being carried over. They weren't carried over when I vetoed Payne before. Voting for something to pass if it isn't vetoed is not the same thing as voting to override a veto on it, by any stretch.

For the sake of consistency, it really seems like the previously used method should have continued to be used. That method made the most sense. I'd like to continue seeing a fresh slate for voting on veto overrides.

Feb 1 2012, 12:35 am poison_us Post #319

Back* from the grave

Quote from Lanthanide
That means that you can't either, along with Raitaki. This is a simulation, and loopholes are even easier to exploit here than they are in real life.

EDIT: Final NO on all bills I haven't voted for but I can still vote for.

Feb 1 2012, 12:44 am Lanthanide Post #320

Quote from poison_us
Quote from Lanthanide
That means that you can't either, along with Raitaki.
Raitaki and I both voted yes on PIP, so I don't know what you're talking about. You and payne are the only people that voted No.

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 « 14 15 16 17 18 >
  Back to forum