Staredit Network > Forums > Staredit Network > Topic: CALLING ALL DESIGNERS
CALLING ALL DESIGNERS
Apr 9 2011, 9:05 pm
By: DavidJCobb
Pages: < 1 2 3 48 >

Apr 10 2011, 3:20 am CecilSunkure Post #21

Quote from O)FaRTy1billion[MM]
Will the new system allow some sort of lite or mobile skin? Viewing SEN on a mobile device (or my DS, which is text-and-inline-images-only) currently is just awful.
That's really low priority right now, but definitely doable in the future.

None.

Apr 10 2011, 3:55 am MadZombie Post #22

Well the main focus was the toolbar thingy since Cent said that it should do wit hthe facebook notification ajax thing. The rest was done in a really lazy manner.

You know what would make this a lot easier? If you guys would post links to other sites so things could be "stolen". Like how i did with the toolbar from facebook. I'm no good at imagination.

None.

Apr 10 2011, 4:07 am Centreri Post #23

Relatively ancient and inactive

Looks good. I'd stick with having a full-width banner on top and somehow try and integrate it with the toolbar, however; that battlecruiser looks awkward and unnecessary, but nothing at all would look dull.

Do you guys actually think you can rewrite all of SEN? Better than IP designed SEN in the first place? v5 had some nice speed improvements over Invision (likely due to lack of useless features, but still). Unless we have professionals, I think trying to rewrite everything will be inefficient. Dirty code, all that, even if it works.

Also, does "about to get a major overhaul" mean "we'll start and try but it'll take years", "we've got most of the backend done", or something else?

None.

Apr 10 2011, 4:10 am Dem0n Post #24

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

Quote from MadZombie
Well the main focus was the toolbar thingy since Cent said that it should do wit hthe facebook notification ajax thing. The rest was done in a really lazy manner.

You know what would make this a lot easier? If you guys would post links to other sites so things could be "stolen". Like how i did with the toolbar from facebook. I'm no good at imagination.
I think something like this would look a little better.

Apr 10 2011, 4:15 am Centreri Post #25

Also,
What's the caption say?
"Unfortunately, the requested page does not exist."

By notifications, I was hoping for something that would make it sensical to subscribe to topics by just clicking a button somewhere in them and have it basically catalog progress, report new posts (with the same number system shown above), etc. Something separate for private messaging, most likely; again, maybe AJAX-powered?

You can really get a lot of good ideas from how Facebook is built.

None.

Apr 10 2011, 4:15 am MadZombie Post #26

I left out a real banner picture because I've kinda sort of always wanted a skin that didn't have a banner to improve speed. I know it doesn't matter to you all but it matters on dial up. Just trying to take advantage of the moment but I knew you guys would rage if it had no images and it was all plain and black and white.

Like i said. Only the top toolbar looks nice because I had an idea of what needed to be done. Everything else looks like shit and is simple shapes. I think the way i had "newest files" box thing should really be considered. I've always had a thing for those boxes that would scroll with 5 different images or something showing the top 5 latest news or files or whatever you'd think is important to have up there.

None.

Apr 10 2011, 4:17 am Dem0n Post #27

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

I don't really think newest files should be that important on the main page. Call me not a true starcraft fan, but I hardly ever look at the new maps that are uploaded. :3 I think forum updates that show the most recent posts would be better to have there (like what we have now).

Apr 10 2011, 4:18 am Centreri Post #28

I'll just point out that the battlecruiser image is actually the full width of the screen and is taller than, for example, the Maplantis banner picture. The only difference is that you have content over it. Still, it looks nice and simple; I'd add some contrast, make colored versions of the same skin (green and blue, ofc), and make it actually exist, and I'd stay there. :bleh:

None.

Apr 10 2011, 4:40 am O)FaRTy1billion[MM] Post #29

👻 👾 👽 💪

Quote from CecilSunkure
Will the new system allow some sort of lite or mobile skin? Viewing SEN on a mobile device (or my DS, which is text-and-inline-images-only) currently is just awful.
Would the skin be low priority in the first place? You need a backend before you can make a frontend.

TinyMap2 - Latest in map compression! ( 7/09/14 - New build! )
EUD Action Enabler - Lightweight EUD/EPD support! (ChaosLauncher/MPQDraft support!)
EUDDB - topic - Help out by adding your EUDs! Or Submit reference files in the References tab!
MapSketch - New image->map generator!
EUDTrig - topic - Quickly and easily convert offsets to EUDs! (extended players supported)
SC2 Map Texture Mask Importer/Exporter - Edit texture placement in an image editor!
\:farty\: This page has been viewed [img]http://farty1billion.dyndns.org/Clicky.php?img.gif[/img] times!

Apr 10 2011, 4:44 am DevliN Post #30

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

Quote from Centreri
Also, does "about to get a major overhaul" mean "we'll start and try but it'll take years", "we've got most of the backend done", or something else?
We are really tired of using SEN's existing code. Even though it is a vast improvement over IPB, IP's code is really disorganized and apparently really inefficient. For a little while now, we've been discussing the idea of moving to vBulletin or some other forum system and not worry about having to fix code anymore. Cecil became really interested in the idea of redoing the entire site using Django, and I gave him the go-ahead. Everything is being redone from scratch (everything), so it will take some time.

\:devlin\: Currently Working On: \:devlin\:
My Overwatch addiction.

Apr 10 2011, 5:30 am CecilSunkure Post #31

Quote from Centreri
Do you guys actually think you can rewrite all of SEN? Better than IP designed SEN in the first place? v5 had some nice speed improvements over Invision (likely due to lack of useless features, but still). Unless we have professionals, I think trying to rewrite everything will be inefficient. Dirty code, all that, even if it works.

Well, I'm not doing it from scratch. I'm using a pre-existing framework. This in and of itself means that the site will be more professional by leagues compared to what it is now. And yeah, I definitely can. I'm sure you could as well if you had the interest in doing such, and put the time needed into it.

No, the code won't at all be dirty. The major aspects of a website: the backend logic, data, and frontend will all be loosely coupled in a fashion that makes modifying the site extremely easy; you can mess with say a webpage template without knowing anything about Python or Django all without fear of interfering with anything except the template you are messing with.

Quote from CecilSunkure
Would the skin be low priority in the first place? You need a backend before you can make a frontend.
Don't you mean would -> wouldn't? I'm not sure what you mean, but I'm not even thinking about skins right now as I'm currently getting together a basic forum with user login/authentication. Once that is done I'll work on adding additional features.

Quote from DevliN
Quote from Centreri
We are really tired of using SEN's existing code. Even though it is a vast improvement over IPB, IP's code is really disorganized and apparently really inefficient. For a little while now, we've been discussing the idea of moving to vBulletin or some other forum system and not worry about having to fix code anymore. Cecil became really interested in the idea of redoing the entire site using Django, and I gave him the go-ahead. Everything is being redone from scratch (everything), so it will take some time.
Everything is being redone but you can't call it from scratch since I'm using a pre-existing framework. It will take some time, but I don't think it will take too much time to get things up and running. Also, the new site should be much more resource efficient, much easier to add onto, much easier to modify, and much cleaner.

The simplest way I can describe it is like this: IP's code and his site was all created as a single functioning system. Django allows you to create a very professional system very quickly with each separate system of the website all nearly independent of one another, allowing for easy additions and modifications to the overall site. IP's site is all tangled, and a well coded Django site is professional, streamlined, and organised.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Apr 10 2011, 5:37 am by CecilSunkure.

None.

Apr 10 2011, 5:35 am DevliN Post #32

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

wut. I thought you told me you were doing it from scratch. :facepalm: My mistake.

\:devlin\: Currently Working On: \:devlin\:
My Overwatch addiction.

Apr 10 2011, 5:38 am CecilSunkure Post #33

Quote from DevliN
wut. I thought you told me you were doing it from scratch. :facepalm: My mistake.
Well think of Django as a library of functions, and I'm using the library to construct a website thus saving me a lot of time writing my own functions, and giving me the ability to immediately access a plethora of professional-grade functions.

Like for example instead of coding a game in scratch, you could compare django to the pygame engine.

None.

Apr 10 2011, 5:50 am O)FaRTy1billion[MM] Post #34

👻 👾 👽 💪

Quote from CecilSunkure
Quote from CecilSunkure
Don't you mean would -> wouldn't? I'm not sure what you mean, but I'm not even thinking about skins right now ...
Then why is this topic asking for it? D:

EUD Action Enabler - Lightweight EUD/EPD support! (ChaosLauncher/MPQDraft support!)
EUDDB - topic - Help out by adding your EUDs! Or Submit reference files in the References tab!
EUDTrig - topic - Quickly and easily convert offsets to EUDs! (extended players supported)
SC2 Map Texture Mask Importer/Exporter - Edit texture placement in an image editor!
\:farty\: This page has been viewed [img]http://farty1billion.dyndns.org/Clicky.php?img.gif[/img] times!

Apr 10 2011, 5:52 am CecilSunkure Post #35

We were asking for design layouts, not skins. I've said like three to use photoshop to portray design ideas and layouts for the site, not to create skins for current SEN.

Quote from CecilSunkure
Quote from Aristocrat
Jack pointed out that it would actually be a nice "SafeForWork" skin, and something like that would actually be welcome. Why don't you work on making a skin of SEN for that purpose? What you have so far is closer to that than it is to an actual SEN look that we would want to adapt as the default appearance in the future.
Because I'm remaking SEN entirely, and thus we can't make new skins yet, and the method of making new skins in the future will be very different from now. This is why I asked everyone to just use photoshop instead of creating actuals skins for current SEN.

None.

Apr 10 2011, 5:54 am O)FaRTy1billion[MM] Post #36

👻 👾 👽 💪

Yes, I understand that and understood that even from the OP. I just requested maybe a layout for mobile devices and you were all LOLNO. >.>

EDIT: Actually, reading what I actually said, I just asked if it was possible at all. I never even requested anything.

Apr 10 2011, 5:57 am CecilSunkure Post #37

Yes, I understand that and understood that even from the OP. I just requested maybe a layout for mobile devices and you were all LOLNO. >.>

EDIT: Actually, reading what I actually said, I just asked if it was possible at all. I never even requested anything.
Oh sorry. Yeah it's possible, and probably pretty easy.

None.

Apr 10 2011, 7:06 am Jack Post #38

>be faceless void >mfw I have no face

I can haz feature requests?
-It'd be great if there was an updates box like in MZ's example skin that one could choose what's displayed in it, eg new wiki pages, latest wiki updates, PMs, new files and maps, subscribed topic posts etc.
-topic subscription

Anyone else got any feature requests or suggestions for cecil? I expect he'd welcome them.

Red classic.

"In short, their absurdities are so extreme that it is painful even to quote them."

Apr 10 2011, 7:42 am The Starport Post #39

Screw in-forum topic subscriptions. Just generate feeds for topics. Let the clients handle that shit from there.

None.

Apr 10 2011, 9:45 am DavidJCobb Post #40

If anyone wants to make a StarCrafty skin using in-game assets, I recently figured out how to rip most of the graphics (notably the main menu images) from the SC1 MPQs. Not sure if that'd be legal in terms of copyright for us to use as a skin, but I can tell you how to rip the pics from your own SC1 installation.

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 2 3 48 >
  Back to forum