Staredit Network > Forums > Staredit Network > Topic: CALLING ALL DESIGNERS
CALLING ALL DESIGNERS
Apr 9 2011, 9:05 pm
By: DavidJCobb
Pages: < 1 2 3 4 58 >

Apr 10 2011, 2:32 pm NudeRaider Post #41

We can't explain the universe, just describe it; and we don't know whether our theories are true, we just know they're not wrong. >Harald Lesch

Blizzard hasn't complained about us using Marines, Hydralisks and Battlecruisers in our Banner, why would they object now?
Would be pretty lame if Game Publishers sued fansites for using their pictures...
Afaik we just need a disclaimer like we have now
Starcraft & Starcraft 2 are trademarks of Blizzard Entertainment.

Apr 10 2011, 2:36 pm MadZombie Post #42

>using sc1 assets for a new modernized professional looking design

I don't think so tim.

None.

Apr 10 2011, 2:38 pm Fire_Kame Post #43

wth is starcraft

Zombie I just love that design so much.

Apr 10 2011, 2:46 pm MadZombie Post #44

Well I think the only thing it has going for it is the upper area. The rest was done just to fill in space and it's really lame. If I got more ideas or examples I could further improve on it ;_;

None.

Apr 10 2011, 3:57 pm Centreri Post #45

Relatively ancient and inactive

Interesting. Good luck, Cecil; I'd love to see it. :P

None.

Apr 10 2011, 5:16 pm CecilSunkure Post #46

Quote from Jack
I can haz feature requests?
-It'd be great if there was an updates box like in MZ's example skin that one could choose what's displayed in it, eg new wiki pages, latest wiki updates, PMs, new files and maps, subscribed topic posts etc.
-topic subscription

Anyone else got any feature requests or suggestions for cecil? I expect he'd welcome them.
I believe most of that is just dealing with filtered queries from databases, so they should be pretty easy. I'd more than likely be able to do something like these.

Anyone else have any sort of ideas or feature requests to toss around?

None.

Apr 10 2011, 5:19 pm payne Post #47

:payne:

I want auto-refresh on pages! :awesome:
So when I'm writing a Quick Reply, I see if someone has posted a new thing while I'm replying. :)
Also, shoutbox with faster refresh too? :3

None.

Apr 10 2011, 5:20 pm Dem0n Post #48

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

Quote from CecilSunkure
Quote from Jack
I can haz feature requests?
-It'd be great if there was an updates box like in MZ's example skin that one could choose what's displayed in it, eg new wiki pages, latest wiki updates, PMs, new files and maps, subscribed topic posts etc.
-topic subscription

Anyone else got any feature requests or suggestions for cecil? I expect he'd welcome them.
I believe most of that is just dealing with filtered queries from databases, so they should be pretty easy. I'd more than likely be able to do something like these.

Anyone else have any sort of ideas or feature requests to toss around?
The ability to cycle though PMs (ie "Next" and "Previous" buttons when looking at PMs) like email. It'd be incredibly helpful when you've got like 5 PMs to look at.

Apr 10 2011, 6:56 pm MadZombie Post #49

er yea. I kinda really like the idea of having a giant screen thing. For each news post you could use some custom image, a screen shot, or a 'default' image. Like sc2 news that someone wants to put it but sucks at making some cool picture or taking a screen shot for it could instead use something like that default picture to show that "hey this genre of post is sc2 related". SEN related news could be green. Contests could be red. etcetc.

Bottom right i made some little tabbed lists for latest posts and the like. I was o lazy to fix it but you get the point. not really THAT useful but just an idea to throw out there. I didn't put much work into it so it's pretty much shapes right now. Also instead of having a weird background pic i made a banner since I think someone said they would prefer to have a regular banner. The banner has the logo on it too so you could check if you'd prefer the logo to be in the banner or in the top left in the facebook-esque toolbar. Idk ;_;

None.

Apr 10 2011, 7:35 pm TiKels Post #50

Farty, my Blackberry Bold can do SEN almost 100% perfectly. Only the dropdown menus up top and the banner get messed up.

"If a topic that clearly interest noone needs to be closed to underline the "we don't want this here" message, is up to debate."

-NudeRaider

Apr 10 2011, 7:54 pm Centreri Post #51

Relatively ancient and inactive

Hrrm. MZ, it looks nice, but I think the "big screen + summary" part should be as wide as everything else; as it is, the effective screen is full on top, then it shrinks, then it grows again.

None.

Apr 10 2011, 7:58 pm MadZombie Post #52

I figured the toolbars black background would stretch all the way but the actual things on the toolbar would be centered. If I Used a bigger width I'd be able to show what I'd imagined would stretch and what wouldn't. But pretty much anything that touches the edges stretches. Er but yea... the sizes do fluctuate but thats really more because I'm lazy and I just want to get the barebones of what I had envisioned out there. I mean if what i make gets accepted then thats when I'd go into perfectionist mode and make it look even better. In the mean time I'll just keep making more and more newer versions I guess until my design is chosen or dismissed ;_;

None.

Apr 10 2011, 8:56 pm O)FaRTy1billion[MM] Post #53

👻 👾 👽 💪

Quote from TiKels
Farty, my Blackberry Bold can do SEN almost 100% perfectly. Only the dropdown menus up top and the banner get messed up.
gj. Now what does that have to do with the countless other mobile devices?

TinyMap2 - Latest in map compression! ( 7/09/14 - New build! )
EUD Action Enabler - Lightweight EUD/EPD support! (ChaosLauncher/MPQDraft support!)
EUDDB - topic - Help out by adding your EUDs! Or Submit reference files in the References tab!
MapSketch - New image->map generator!
EUDTrig - topic - Quickly and easily convert offsets to EUDs! (extended players supported)
SC2 Map Texture Mask Importer/Exporter - Edit texture placement in an image editor!
\:farty\: This page has been viewed [img]http://farty1billion.dyndns.org/Clicky.php?img.gif[/img] times!

Apr 10 2011, 9:22 pm TiKels Post #54

The way you phrased it seemed to imply that ALL mobile devices couldn't do SEN. I was just saying that that was incorrect.

"If a topic that clearly interest noone needs to be closed to underline the "we don't want this here" message, is up to debate."

-NudeRaider

Apr 10 2011, 11:32 pm DavidJCobb Post #55

Some decent feature ideas, I think:

Export PMs as downloadable text files, with BBCode.

None.

Apr 10 2011, 11:42 pm Aristocrat Post #56

Quote from DavidJCobb
Some decent feature ideas, I think:

Export PMs as downloadable text files, with BBCode.

We have been needing a method of getting BBCode from formatted PMs for a while now; just add some sort of quote button, that would be nice and achieve the desired result.

None.

Apr 11 2011, 3:28 am rockz Post #57

ᴄʜᴇᴇsᴇ ɪᴛ!

We are talking about a lot of work here. While I am not opposed to it, I think KISS is in order here.

A few things to think about:
images, while pretty, can be fairly large. I've made this assertion before, but the current incarnation of SEN takes up nearly 1 MB, most of which is in the banner. We don't need 8 images when 3 will suffice. This adds a large amount of data for people on phones, and in general makes the site slow to load if not using a cache, not to mention, probably increases server load.
Phones are becoming more prominent, and in particular, my phone sucks at viewing SEN (I honestly think it uses ie7, but definitely trident of some form) mainly due to the lack of mobile support (320x240 screen). I don't think it's all that necessary to include mobile support, but it's certainly something to think about, and will have a large future.
Our current layout, while not perfect, is sufficient. There are clear problems with the current code, since apparently there are things that are way too difficult to do. However, I don't feel we need a new design. If anything, we ought to bring back the old design, but have it so that it is easily customizable, possibly with a skin.css file or something like that. Simple sites don't look phenomenal or anything, but IMO sc2mapster's website is not all that impressive, I've always hated facebook's layouts, and the old SEN v5 worked well. Apparently something happened which ruined compatibility, but I see no reason we should change. We are still a starcraft 1 site in addition to a small sc2 section (which many people want to grow, which I know is the reasoning behind this change). If you guys can think of some ways to bring back the old skins (3 pictures, left center right in a title bar at top, one column on right or left with news posts wherever), I can go ahead and tell you that those worked well and and many people were sad to see them go.

All that being said, so far MZ has the best concept, but I would really like it if we standardized a few things so that custom skins are allowed and available for people to use:

It's obviously far from pretty, but I removed a lot of the stuff because I'm lazy, something that wouldn't happen in a real skin.

So then, keep the banner at 100 px or so maximum height; use no images greater than 320 px wide unless it is aligned to the left; have the boxes be able to be resized to any length down to 320 px wide, and if there is no room beside it, move the next box below; Allow for a custom maximum screen width under preferences which lets you say how wide you want your screen (for the carbonite assholes).

"Parliamentary inquiry, Mr. Chairman - do we have to call the Gentleman a gentleman if he's not one?"

Apr 11 2011, 3:44 am Jack Post #58

>be faceless void >mfw I have no face

http://www.mediafire.com/?6osdp56m71c98pz
Here's the packaged source, it contains the script, an example file, the
images, the Javascript and CSS files as well as minified versions of
these, and the License agreement.

The code should be pretty straight forward, you can just include the
BBCode.php file, and pass a $text variable with a trigger encased it
[SC2TRIGGER]...[/SC2TRIGGER] tags to

sc2TriggerBBCode($text)

or if you have a $text variable that is not encased in
[SC2TRIGGER]...[/SC2TRIGGER] tags, but know that it ONLY contains a
trigger, you can call

sc2TriggerBBCode($text, false)

which will process it regardless of missing tags. Finally, if you just
want a demonstration or need to debug, you can call

sc2TriggerBBCode($text, true/false, true)

which will print the output as soon as it is generated.

The CSS layout is simple, the trigger itself is in a div called
"sc2trigger", and the label for the trigger (which contains "Starcraft 2
Trigger" and my copyright) are in a div called "sc2triggerlabel". Both of
these are contained in a div named "sc2triggerbound". The "sc2trigger" and
"sc2triggerlabel" automatically stretch to fit "sc2triggerbound", so any
size modifications should only be made to "sc2triggerbound". The CSS
groups are all prefixed with .sc2, so should not interfere with any other
style sheets. Make sure to remove the Body and A tag from the CSS file
though, as they will.

I've also included the acknowledgement to my website ("Parser © 2011
Shmeeps @ OmegaCode"), which is rendered above and to the left of each
instance of output. I've included a copy of the license in each source
file.

If you guys need help implementing the script or understanding the code,
let me know and I'll see if I can help.

That's from the vgshorts guy. Hopefully you can use that for both the wiki and for SEN v6.

Red classic.

"In short, their absurdities are so extreme that it is painful even to quote them."

Apr 11 2011, 4:33 am payne Post #59

:payne:

Quote from Jack
http://www.mediafire.com/?6osdp56m71c98pz
Here's the packaged source, it contains the script, an example file, the
images, the Javascript and CSS files as well as minified versions of
these, and the License agreement.

The code should be pretty straight forward, you can just include the
BBCode.php file, and pass a $text variable with a trigger encased it
[SC2TRIGGER]...[/SC2TRIGGER] tags to

sc2TriggerBBCode($text)

or if you have a $text variable that is not encased in
[SC2TRIGGER]...[/SC2TRIGGER] tags, but know that it ONLY contains a
trigger, you can call

sc2TriggerBBCode($text, false)

which will process it regardless of missing tags. Finally, if you just
want a demonstration or need to debug, you can call

sc2TriggerBBCode($text, true/false, true)

which will print the output as soon as it is generated.

The CSS layout is simple, the trigger itself is in a div called
"sc2trigger", and the label for the trigger (which contains "Starcraft 2
Trigger" and my copyright) are in a div called "sc2triggerlabel". Both of
these are contained in a div named "sc2triggerbound". The "sc2trigger" and
"sc2triggerlabel" automatically stretch to fit "sc2triggerbound", so any
size modifications should only be made to "sc2triggerbound". The CSS
groups are all prefixed with .sc2, so should not interfere with any other
style sheets. Make sure to remove the Body and A tag from the CSS file
though, as they will.

I've also included the acknowledgement to my website ("Parser � 2011
Shmeeps @ OmegaCode"), which is rendered above and to the left of each
instance of output. I've included a copy of the license in each source
file.

If you guys need help implementing the script or understanding the code,
let me know and I'll see if I can help.

That's from the vgshorts guy. Hopefully you can use that for both the wiki and for SEN v6.
Could you ask him if he fixed the latest bug reports? I can't remember in which thread we used to report them on SEN, though. :/

None.

Apr 11 2011, 5:01 am Fire_Kame Post #60

wth is starcraft

Can you export topics right now? I remember my boyfriend always complained about losing is Red Alert modding documentation because the forums were deleted without him realizing it, so its lost now.

Options
Pages: < 1 2 3 4 58 >
  Back to forum