Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 UMS Mapmaking Assistance > Topic: Mobile Grid Help
Mobile Grid Help
Apr 5 2011, 5:52 am
By: ScaleMatrix  

Apr 5 2011, 10:50 pm DevliN Post #21

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

With hypers, the locations would always be on your hero unit? That's interesting.

\:devlin\: Currently Working On: \:devlin\:
My Overwatch addiction.

Apr 5 2011, 11:02 pm NudeRaider Post #22

We can't explain the universe, just describe it; and we don't know whether our theories are true, we just know they're not wrong. >Harald Lesch

Quote from DevliN
With hypers, the locations would always be on your hero unit? That's interesting.
But the hero would be significantly slowed down.

Apr 5 2011, 11:03 pm DevliN Post #23

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

Ah, right, forgot about that. I've been playing around with SC2 for too long. :/

My Overwatch addiction.

Apr 5 2011, 11:16 pm CecilSunkure Post #24

Quote from NudeRaider
Quote from DevliN
But the hero would be significantly slowed down.
Oya.... Haha :P

None.

Apr 5 2011, 11:52 pm ScaleMatrix Post #25

Last question. When you make the Mobile Grid Trigger, you always make them in Computer players correct? Well if you make them in computer players, does that mean if you where using them for a spell trigger would you have to have an individual trigger for each player or have them share?

And also if I wanted to see how it would work for lets say a 5x5 I'd just make the arbiters slowly then kill them off slowly?

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Apr 6 2011, 12:04 am by ScaleMatrix.

None.

Apr 5 2011, 11:59 pm NudeRaider Post #26

We can't explain the universe, just describe it; and we don't know whether our theories are true, we just know they're not wrong. >Harald Lesch

Personally I'd make them for the player that owns the unit the grid is centered on.
Because when that player doesn't exist nor does the unit and then there'd be no need for a grid. And since inactive players don't run triggers it's an efficient way of disabling unnecessary triggers.

Apr 6 2011, 12:00 am DevliN Post #27

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

You would make the units created owned by computer/neutral players. Or do what Nude said. >_>

You would need a trigger per player because you would need a new grid for each player. You could try to reuse the same locations for one, but if two people use a spell at the same time, that may cause problems.

My Overwatch addiction.

Apr 6 2011, 12:05 am ScaleMatrix Post #28

So what if only one person was using this grid at a time, like 2 characters use two completely different grids like in an Arena-Type Battle?

None.

Apr 6 2011, 12:08 am DevliN Post #29

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

Then you would still need a separate set of locations for each grid. It wouldn't matter where you put the triggers as long as they are on an active player/computer.

My Overwatch addiction.

Apr 6 2011, 12:19 am ScaleMatrix Post #30

Thats what I thought. Alright thanks. Now just to get 4x4,5x5,6x6 and so on to 10x10 which is 100.

Edit: Just a question on the map production forms. If I'm working on a map currently and its not necessarily finished, but its playable because its almost finished do I put that on the release forms or the beginning one?

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Apr 6 2011, 3:52 am by Roy. Reason: Try not to double-post

None.

Apr 6 2011, 3:51 am Roy Post #31

An artist's depiction of an Extended Unit Death

Map Showcase is for completed maps, even if the map is only in an alpha or beta stage. If the map is not yet complete, it should be in the Map Production section. Generally, you post maps in Map Production in their early stages.

Apr 6 2011, 12:54 pm NudeRaider Post #32

Quote from ScaleMatrix
So what if only one person was using this grid at a time, like 2 characters use two completely different grids like in an Arena-Type Battle?
You would have the trigger owned by the Force the players are part of and you can reuse the locations. Just make sure a spell with a duration is finished before the other player that just switched into the arena can cast a grid based spell.

Trigger
Players
  • Force 1
  • Conditions
  • Force 1 has suffered at most 0 death counts of "Spell 1"
  • Current Player brings at least 1 "Spell 1" to "spell casting area"
  • Actions
  • Set death counter of "Spell 1" for Current Player to x
  • Remove 1 "Spell 1" at "spell casting area"
  • Center Location "grid center F1" on [men] owned by Current Player at "arena"
  • Create 9 Devourer at "grid center F1" for [computer player]
  • [Place locations "1" - "8" according to grid logic (discussed above)]
  • [do other actions that fire upon activation]
  • Preserve trigger

• The yellow condition makes sure no player of that force still has a spell running.
    The green condition checks if any player of that force has activated a spell.

This assumes that when death counts of "Spell 1" >= 1 is detected some other trigger has additional timed events.
    When all your spells are executed instantly (in the same trigger loop) without waits in between you don't even need the yellow condition and still can reuse the grid locations. This is because of the order triggers are firing. First all of P1's triggers are executed, then all of P2's and so on. This means when P1 finishes the spell within the same trigger loop it won't interfere with P2's triggers.

Apr 25 2011, 5:29 pm ScaleMatrix Post #33

Ok back up to this. I made a List of the grid amounts for the grid type and it helps greatly now, and I thank all of you for helping me with this concept. I managed some nifty little things I've seen from other maps, that way I can make something of my own, I used a test map I simply call "A Mobile Grid" that has both a spawning system to see 5x5 or 10x10 and to see how they are removed as well. On the map after the square of tanks, I recreated something I saw from another map, and I love the things you can do with these.
    (Note: The move listed below is not my idea in anyway)

FSN Projects-Gae Bulga

Carrier/Interceptor Shot

Finally the Hit

Then I can understand the occasssional offset glitches....

None.

Options
      Back to forum