Staredit Network > Forums > Null > Topic: Interesting things I've noticed
Interesting things I've noticed
Aug 29 2009, 6:10 pm
By: Fierce  

Aug 30 2009, 1:52 am MasterJohnny Post #21

Quote from Norm
Nowadays, Atheism is a religion in itself. The way people treat it like one, it totally defeats the point.

Atheism is not a religion. Atheism is a philosophical point of view. Religion requires organization. Atheists have many unorganized views but share the disbelief in deities or higher power.

I am a Mathematician

Aug 30 2009, 1:56 am l)ark_ssj9kevin Post #22

Just here for the activity... well not really

I don't say anything, expect when they don't cover their mouth, in which case I conjure a tissue and hand it do them.

guy lifting weight (animated smiley):

O-IC
OI-C

"Oh, I see it"

Aug 30 2009, 3:20 am Jesusfreak Post #23

I really doubt atheism goes hand in hand with secularism, you can still be religious and support secularism, this is just an ignorant statement.
Atheism - the lack of belief in a god. Secularism - a focus on wordly things rather than spiritual things. The two are strongly related in most if not every single atheist, not counting atheistic religions like budhism (perhaps a better word for me to use would be "areligious"). It's hard to not believe in any religion and still have a focus on the spiritual.
Everyone is trying to do good in school to care about religious and non religious crap.
... Er... what? VERY FEW people are trying to do good in school. Most students only care about having "fun" and being "cool," and whatever else it is you normal people do these days. I know, because I've talked to several students about stuff like this - they ALL have a negative attitude towards learning in general, and most do "just enough to get by."

None.

Aug 30 2009, 3:22 am Jack Post #24

>be faceless void >mfw I have no face

Eh, both of you go back to school, it's do WELL in school, not do GOOD.

Red classic.

"In short, their absurdities are so extreme that it is painful even to quote them."

Aug 30 2009, 3:31 am Neki Post #25

Quote from name:zany_001
Word choice on a forum. I'm sorry, I still hate English. :P
Atheism - the lack of belief in a god. Secularism - a focus on wordly things rather than spiritual things. The two are strongly related in most if not every single atheist, not counting atheistic religions like budhism (perhaps a better word for me to use would be "areligious"). It's hard to not believe in any religion and still have a focus on the spiritual.
When I think of Secularism, I think of the wikipedia definition which is:
Secularism is the assertion that governmental practices or institutions should exist separately from religion and/or religious beliefs.
Which is what I'm saying, that you can still believe in religion and secularism.

... Er... what? VERY FEW people are trying to do good in school. Most students only care about having "fun" and being "cool," and whatever else it is you normal people do these days. I know, because I've talked to several students about stuff like this - they ALL have a negative attitude towards learning in general, and most do "just enough to get by."
Maybe in high school, but once you get to post-secondary, people realize that paying thousands of dollars every year just to be "cool" is stupid. People go to school to learn, at least when you're paying money for it.

None.

Aug 30 2009, 3:32 am poison_us Post #26

Back* from the grave

Quote from name:zany_001

You should have a semicolon there; you're separating two clauses with a comma. They would be able to stand by themselves as a sentence.

(The second comma should be a semicolon)

Aug 30 2009, 3:40 am Jack Post #27

>be faceless void >mfw I have no face

Ugh. I thought I was setting myself up for an epic fail there. Turns out I was right.

Red classic.

"In short, their absurdities are so extreme that it is painful even to quote them."

Aug 30 2009, 4:36 am O)FaRTy1billion[MM] Post #28

👻 👾 👽 💪

People say 'Bless you' all the time, but I ignore them. I've never said it to anyone, nor have I ever felt inclined to. ;o

Eh. I live in Utaj, so there are Mormon kids everywhere in school... If you say you're not Mormon nobody cares, but if you say you are atheist then there is a lot of 'omgwtf'. I've found that saying "I don't believe in [a] god" has a lot less impact for some reason (not that I say that... I don't usually say anything unless someone is very specific in asking.)
I don't notice a lot of people arguing for their religions except on TV and the internet... Then again people at my school were very accepting of everybody, it seems.

TinyMap2 - Latest in map compression! ( 7/09/14 - New build! )
EUD Action Enabler - Lightweight EUD/EPD support! (ChaosLauncher/MPQDraft support!)
EUDDB - topic - Help out by adding your EUDs! Or Submit reference files in the References tab!
MapSketch - New image->map generator!
EUDTrig - topic - Quickly and easily convert offsets to EUDs! (extended players supported)
SC2 Map Texture Mask Importer/Exporter - Edit texture placement in an image editor!
\:farty\: This page has been viewed [img]http://farty1billion.dyndns.org/Clicky.php?img.gif[/img] times!

Aug 30 2009, 5:56 pm Jesusfreak Post #29

It seems our entire argument was a miscommunication ^^ .

Secularism is the assertion that governmental practices or institutions should exist separately from religion and/or religious beliefs.
I was refering to the definition I see commonly used, that is, a focus on worldly rather than spiritual matters.
Maybe in high school, but once you get to post-secondary, people realize that paying thousands of dollars every year just to be "cool" is stupid. People go to school to learn, at least when you're paying money for it.
I was talking about high school only. I do not know yet what it will be like in college, although from what I've heard, it's better.
Eh, get over it :bleh: .

None.

Aug 30 2009, 6:58 pm Bar Refaeli Post #30

I like saying "shut up" after someone says bless you. :P

None.

Aug 31 2009, 1:11 am poison_us Post #31

Back* from the grave

I like how your religion is fine, until it doesn't agree with someone else's.

Sep 1 2009, 2:04 pm Hug A Zergling Post #32

I say that German word for "bless you" that I can't spell. I even say it to strangers, just because I like the word.

And I agree with you here. Atheists can be mean :(

None.

Sep 1 2009, 5:15 pm MillenniumArmy Post #33

Well in Asia people don't say bless you at all. One of my atheist friends from a while back joked that whenever someone sneezes around him he says, "GO TO HELL."

None.

Sep 2 2009, 12:58 am poison_us Post #34

Back* from the grave

Quote from Hug A Zergling
I say that German word for "bless you" that I can't spell. I even say it to strangers, just because I like the word.

Gesundheit. I love having had German 5 years ago :-_-:

Options
  Back to forum