Let's See Sound And Taste Color
Jul 30 2009, 3:20 pm
By: Dapperdan
Pages: < 1 2 3 >

Aug 2 2009, 4:59 pm Dapperdan Post #21

Quote from O)FaRTy1billion[MM]
Quote from Syphon
Quote from O)FaRTy1billion[MM]
I randomly smell unusual things (like buttered movie theater popcorn or penicillin) that are not around, but I don't think that is associating smells with things or smelling other stimuli. ;o I smell them strongly enough to mask other scents in the room.

I believe there's a neurological condition that causes that... I can't remember what it's called though.

Go get an MRI.
I think it's probably just some form of hallucination. I sometimes will smell people or things on TV, in pictures, across rooms, etc. The funny thing, though, is that I tend to have a poor sense of smell...

It's useful for deciding what to eat. ;o "Hm. I smell burritos. Sounds tasty. Let's get burritos."

Edit:
Quick search on wikipedia led me to phantosmia and parosmia. I don't think it is either one of those because the smells aren't usually unpleasant (except penicillin) and it isn't specific things that smell wierd, they are just totally arbitrary.

Phantosmia and Parosmia sound horrible. I'm glad you don't have that. Though, there still must be something wrong with you. :P

None.

Aug 14 2009, 7:01 am Zxblqcktptyjsplkn Post #22

O)CecilSunkure, that's not synesthesia. That's just a free association. Synesthesia is when you associate sounds, colors, tastes, words, and letters with tastes, colors, and sounds. I believe I have synesthesia. For example, whenever I hear a C, taste salt, and different letters are different colors. An s is blue.

EDIT: Synesthesia has nothing to do with pictures or complex sounds or tastes, just very, very basic tones, colors, and tastes.

None.

Aug 14 2009, 8:48 pm UnholyUrine Post #23

I don't find this too hard to believe, as Taste, Hearing, Sight, and Touch all relay to the thalamus. Therefore, the information can always be relayed differently.

It is only the sense of smell that does not get relayed to the thalamus. I didn't read ALL the articles, but if one of them claims they can use their nose to see or hear, then it'd be even more interesting :P.

None.

Aug 14 2009, 11:37 pm Heinermann Post #24

SDE, BWAPI owner, hacker.

I love it when people responding to a topic make up so much crap.

Here, let me try:
Oh, I have perfect pitch too! (Response to Madroc)
Oh, I can see colours and stuff too! (Response to O)CecilSunkure, Aster, Syphon, HolySin, and everyone else)

Aug 15 2009, 12:16 am poison_us Post #25

Back* from the grave

Sometimes it's not all fabrication, Heinermann

Aug 15 2009, 6:21 pm payne Post #26

:payne:

Wow, so there are -that many- synesthesic people? At first, I though that girl in the movie was just lying to get attention, but seeing an article on Wikipedia somewhat convinced me. The others article are ''meh'' :O
Anyways, I'm pretty sure that we can all get to imagine a colour linked to a sound or a note... this is mostly imagination, but when it comes to automatism, wow! It must be just awesome to listen to some Pink Floyd with that thing :)

None.

Aug 15 2009, 6:50 pm Dapperdan Post #27

Quote from payne
Wow, so there are -that many- synesthesic people? At first, I though that girl in the movie was just lying to get attention, but seeing an article on Wikipedia somewhat convinced me. The others article are ''meh'' :O
Anyways, I'm pretty sure that we can all get to imagine a colour linked to a sound or a note... this is mostly imagination, but when it comes to automatism, wow! It must be just awesome to listen to some Pink Floyd with that thing :)

It always goes back to Pink Floyd for you doesn't it? :P

None.

Aug 17 2009, 5:42 pm Aster Post #28

Quote from Heinermann

Here, let me try:
Oh, I can see colours and stuff too! (Response to O)CecilSunkure, Aster, Syphon, HolySin, and everyone else)
Yeah, except I'm not making it up, but that's cool too.
Also, I think everyone can "see colours."

None.

Aug 17 2009, 6:37 pm Syphon Post #29

Guess what Heinz?

I also have perfect relative pitch. :P

Just because you can't comprehend these things, doesn't mean other people don't have them, and those things aren't particularly rare.

None.

Aug 17 2009, 6:52 pm Kaias Post #30

Quote from Syphon
..as many as 1 in 23 people *claim to have it, so it's not like it's that unusual to experience some form of synesthesia.
I doubt anyone here saying they have synesthesia actually has it- I even doubt many of the synesthesia people shown in the video have it either. Everyone associates colors, feelings, sounds and smells; people just want to be special.

Post has been edited 2 time(s), last time on Aug 17 2009, 7:04 pm by Kaias. Reason: sentence structure

None.

Aug 17 2009, 7:29 pm poison_us Post #31

Back* from the grave

Quote from Aster
Also, I think everyone can "see colours."

NOT TRUE!!

~blind people can't "see colours"

BTW: I think that approximately 1 in 4 of the 1 in 23 people that "have" it are attention whores. The other 3 have pretty trippy lives.

Aug 18 2009, 1:01 am Syphon Post #32

Quote from Kaias
Quote from Syphon
..as many as 1 in 23 people *claim to have it, so it's not like it's that unusual to experience some form of synesthesia.
I doubt anyone here saying they have synesthesia actually has it- I even doubt many of the synesthesia people shown in the video have it either. Everyone associates colors, feelings, sounds and smells; people just want to be special.

It's very hard to fake, is really the only recourse I can tell you.

None.

Aug 18 2009, 3:48 am Zxblqcktptyjsplkn Post #33

I actually can't tell if I have it. I think I might think I have it because I heard about it. That's called Medical Student's Disease, where a student studies all of the diseases and thinks he has them. I can tell you, if you see an actual picture, like a syringe, you are lying or hallucinating.

None.

Aug 18 2009, 8:05 am O)FaRTy1billion[MM] Post #34

👻 👾 👽 💪

This topic just makes me wonder how I am supposed to know if what I see and perceive is actually there and not some sort of hallucination or 'error'... Which brings up questions I've thought of long ago... if someone were to somehow experience the same sensual stimuli and process it the same way as I (essentially they are seeing what I see, hearing what I hear, etc.) would it be much the same, just from a different perspective or minor subtleties, or would it be a total mindfuck?
How am I supposed to know if any of this applies to me? I see and hear a lot of things which I ignore because I know they logically cannot be (like a rope swing that tasted like bubble gum... so I licked it and it tasted like shit)

I doubt I have any major sensual errors or differences as I'd just consider myself average, but that is how everyone should naturally feel I'd assume.

TinyMap2 - Latest in map compression! ( 7/09/14 - New build! )
EUD Action Enabler - Lightweight EUD/EPD support! (ChaosLauncher/MPQDraft support!)
EUDDB - topic - Help out by adding your EUDs! Or Submit reference files in the References tab!
MapSketch - New image->map generator!
EUDTrig - topic - Quickly and easily convert offsets to EUDs! (extended players supported)
SC2 Map Texture Mask Importer/Exporter - Edit texture placement in an image editor!
\:farty\: This page has been viewed [img]http://farty1billion.dyndns.org/Clicky.php?img.gif[/img] times!

Sep 13 2009, 6:54 am Syphon Post #35

Holy shit, I just found out (thanks to reddit, and the BBC news), that there's an ultra rare form of synaesthesia that connects the sensations of time and space. That's fucking ridiculous, there are real life Dr. Manhattans wandering the Earth.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/8248589.stm

None.

Sep 13 2009, 9:14 am JaFF Post #36

From the artcle:
Another variant recently come to light is called mirror touch synaesthesia. This causes people to experience sensations of touch when they see other people being touched.

"So if I sat in front of you and scratched my nose, you would feel a scratch on your nose," explains Dr Simner. Psychologists have linked this to a greater sense of empathy.

If they see lots of violence such as fighting, would their organs start functioning differently from the damage other people took? That would be totally matrix style.

None.

Oct 1 2009, 5:46 am CecilSunkure Post #37

I actually can't tell if I have it. I think I might think I have it because I heard about it. That's called Medical Student's Disease, where a student studies all of the diseases and thinks he has them. I can tell you, if you see an actual picture, like a syringe, you are lying or hallucinating.
My response:
Quote from CecilSunkure
But I didn't actually think of that entire paragraph while looking at my thumb, I just felt the feelings and vague ideas (sort of the feeling you feel while in a dream) of precision and seriousness I associate art with as well as.. Glowing green syringes? lol
So, the free association was associating the syringe to my thumb, which were both linked to feelings of seriousness and precision. The synesthesia was deriving those feelings from just looking at my thumb. Now, a perfect example would be when Norm wanted to name one of his characters "Psychopath". The word psychopath brings me the feeling of isolation and danger, as if I were placed next to someone who was mentally challenged and dangerous. The feeling disturbs me. Also.. When I see or hear the word "Psychopath" I keep thinking of looking at wounds on an innocent face with a mentally challenged mind. This seems tied to my experiences when watching "The Village", as the crazy guy in that movie was both innocent and yet pissed me off. I don't know, I don't like the word, it disturbs me.

I'm not 100% sure if all that in synesthesia or not. I don't know the criteria for being a synesthetic by heart, I just know I've been told I am and I believe I am.

[Edit]I don't really want to banter back and forth pointlessly. If you think I am lying, or this really isn't synesthesia.. Look up the criteria real fast and show me. I'll own up to my fault if I was wrong. If you won't do that, then don't post in retort to this please. I'll just ignore you, most likely.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Oct 1 2009, 5:53 am by CecilSunkure.

None.

Oct 10 2009, 2:39 am payne Post #38

:payne:

Quote from Dapperdan
Quote from payne

It always goes back to Pink Floyd for you doesn't it? :P
Don't you think it'd be awesome?! I mean... Trying to listen at Heavy Metal music with that must imply having epileptic behaviours ;o
Maybe a little Led Zeppelin would make it too, but Pink Floyd really sounds to me as the best music to listen to and it -has- to be colorful! :D

None.

Oct 12 2009, 7:51 pm Generalpie Post #39

Staredit Puckwork

Quote from Heinermann

Here, let me try:
This topic is full of hypochondria. :P

None.

Oct 12 2009, 10:48 pm Morphling Post #40

I was watching BrainMan on the science channel a few days ago and saw how this, in some cases, can be very beneficial. It's based on Daniel T. who has a form of synaesthesia. Here is a site on him. http://www.optimnem.co.uk/index.php and http://science.discovery.com/videos/brilliant-minds/ and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdeAq7_r63g&feature=player_embedded He learned and became fluent in Icelandic in one week. He also memorized the first 22,514 numbers of pi.

In the documentary he visits the original 'Rain Man' Kim Peek. Although Kim started to memorize things at twenty months, he didn't walk till four. He memorized over 12,000 books, reading two pages at once with the speed of under 15 seconds per page. He also knows every city and zip code in the United States and knows the history to every coutry in the world.

Post has been edited 4 time(s), last time on Oct 12 2009, 11:24 pm by Morphling.

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 2 3 >
  Back to forum