Staredit Network > Forums > Null > Topic: Let's See Sound And Taste Color
Let's See Sound And Taste Color
Jul 30 2009, 3:20 pm
By: Dapperdan
Pages: < 1 2 3

Jul 26 2010, 7:21 pm Adeon Post #41

I know this thread is old, but I think my reply is relevant.

It's been a while since I noticed that I can hear sounds from my visual perception.
One curious thing about this is that I can hear a voice dictating when I am reading a text. It's like as if I've never truly read anything but instead I heard this imaginary voice reading it for me. And the most interesting fact is that the voice varies depending on the way the text was written: it can show anger, sadness, doubt, etc. And, of course, it starts yelling WHEN I AM ABOUT TO READ A TEXT ON CAPSLOCK (THAT'S WHY I HATE WHEN PEOPLE ABUSE THIS).

Furthermore, on text conversations the voice is different depending to each person I am typing to. It's like as if for each person I know on the internet they have a personal mental voice talking inside my head when I read their messages. The same thing happens on, say, youtube comments (in this case, the voice varies acoording to their level of stupidness :P). I have a personal mental voice for my own texts too, and it's not even similar to my real voice.

I have no idea what defines the voices I hear. I think it depends on the way the person writes in the beginning, then I somehow associate a voice with a certain pitch to him/her and then it stays like this forever.
Also, recently I saw a webpage full of thumbnails of bubble drawings made with some vector application and I was pretty surprised when I actually heard bubbles while looking at them.

Being quite honest, I am curious about how it is to taste and see sounds as well, but my case is just hearing sounds from images :/

None.

Jul 27 2010, 2:16 am DavidJCobb Post #42

I think most people hear a vague voice in their head when they read, Tempz, but it's featureless, completely featureless, almost like the silence is talking... Though perhaps I'm simply generalizing my own psychological quirks.

There is a single person I know in real life whose voice I sometimes hear when I read their text... But it's never accurate, or it's never accurate enough... My mind simply can't do it justice...

None.

Jul 27 2010, 3:38 am Rantent Post #43

So it's like all your senses are a conspiracy theory.

None.

Jul 27 2010, 9:13 am O)FaRTy1billion[MM] Post #44

👻 👾 👽 💪

There is a strong association between written words and spoken words... that is why they are interchangeable and you can, you know, read..?

Quote from DavidJCobb
I think most people hear a vague voice in their head when they read, ...
I hear what is basically my own voice... Even if I am reading something I know is from someone who I talk to regularly and can clearly hear their voice in my head. My voice is pretty much the default I hear, but I can change it to pretty much whatever I want if I think about it ...

However, most of the language I see and hear is in text form (like when thinking of a word ... I don't hear it, I just see it in a big fancy printed font that is pretty much inconsistent and always changing). A lot of times when I am listening to people or trying to think of words to say, I imagine it in a text form. This is especially true when I'm trying to understand something they are saying or can't fully hear them.

TinyMap2 - Latest in map compression! ( 7/09/14 - New build! )
EUD Action Enabler - Lightweight EUD/EPD support! (ChaosLauncher/MPQDraft support!)
EUDDB - topic - Help out by adding your EUDs! Or Submit reference files in the References tab!
MapSketch - New image->map generator!
EUDTrig - topic - Quickly and easily convert offsets to EUDs! (extended players supported)
SC2 Map Texture Mask Importer/Exporter - Edit texture placement in an image editor!
\:farty\: This page has been viewed [img]http://farty1billion.dyndns.org/Clicky.php?img.gif[/img] times!

Jul 27 2010, 6:32 pm Apos Post #45

I order you to forgive yourself!

I never thought I was that screwed up :><:

I better not explain my case :stfu:

Jul 27 2010, 8:27 pm TiKels Post #46

Quote from O)FaRTy1billion[MM]
This topic just makes me wonder how I am supposed to know if what I see and perceive is actually there and not some sort of hallucination or 'error'... Which brings up questions I've thought of long ago... if someone were to somehow experience the same sensual stimuli and process it the same way as I (essentially they are seeing what I see, hearing what I hear, etc.) would it be much the same, just from a different perspective or minor subtleties, or would it be a total mindfuck?
How am I supposed to know if any of this applies to me? I see and hear a lot of things which I ignore because I know they logically cannot be (like a rope swing that tasted like bubble gum... so I licked it and it tasted like shit)

I doubt I have any major sensual errors or differences as I'd just consider myself average, but that is how everyone should naturally feel I'd assume.
I have had these same thoughts and often wondered this the same way. Like I know people view the complexities of colors differently, like some people cannot see gradual changes in color (a form of colorblindedness) but are there more subtle differences? It's really sorta pointless though, because you cannot "think" an image to someone else.

Quote from payne
Quote from Dapperdan
Quote from payne
Wow, so there are -that many- synesthesic people? At first, I though that girl in the movie was just lying to get attention, but seeing an article on Wikipedia somewhat convinced me. The others article are ''meh'' :O
Anyways, I'm pretty sure that we can all get to imagine a colour linked to a sound or a note... this is mostly imagination, but when it comes to automatism, wow! It must be just awesome to listen to some Pink Floyd with that thing :)

It always goes back to Pink Floyd for you doesn't it? :P
Don't you think it'd be awesome?! I mean... Trying to listen at Heavy Metal music with that must imply having epileptic behaviours ;o
Maybe a little Led Zeppelin would make it too, but Pink Floyd really sounds to me as the best music to listen to and it -has- to be colorful! :D

Where do you think headbanging came from?

Adeon's post
I actually use other people's voices and persons when I'm reading or imagining myself doing things. So in fact, I'm imagining me being another person doing something else. I will on occasion hear a nondescript voice when reading, but I will NEVER imagine myself doing things or my own voice.

Apos. Explain yourself.

"If a topic that clearly interest noone needs to be closed to underline the "we don't want this here" message, is up to debate."

-NudeRaider

Jul 27 2010, 10:02 pm Lanthanide Post #47

I remember watching a documentary on synaesthesia on people in the UK, and a couple's 4 year old was diagnosed with quite strong synaesthesia. Then the mother, who didn't know anything about it till his diagnosis, suddenly tweaked that she had had synaesthesia her whole life, but just thought it was normal. In her case, whenever she heard music she would see sort of a green blobby patch in her field of vision that changed shape, colour etc depending on the music.

My boyfriend has speculated that Beethoven, who was famously deaf yet composed great music by feeling the vibrations of the piano in the floorboards, could possibly have had some form of synaesthesia as well. Being able to write music by feeling vibrations, while amazing, doesn't really seem to be enough to explain how he could write such complex, intricate and amazing pieces that are widely regarded as masterpieces hundreds of years later.

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 2 3
  Back to forum