By: Devourer
Pages: < 1 2 3 4 >

Nov 24 2008, 3:52 am Syphon Post #41

Quote from name:Yoshi
Second of all, fell in love.

Awww.

Quote from payne
All we need back, is the Forum and the DLDB, I'm sure we won't even need someone to check it out, people won't be fags :D
Me want Maplantis back! :O
This is the internet. There's always fags.

Anonymity + Audience = Total Dickwad.

Also, who didn't see this coming? We had a perfectly working, fast, well made website competing with a half-done failure with a promise to "get things working soon". What do we do? Go with name brand instead of sticking with what works. It's a year later, and it still doesn't work. Surprise.

None.

Nov 24 2008, 4:22 am Moose Post #42

We live in a society.

Sorry, Syphon... you get what you pay for.
Should've worked out a better contract with SEN before you registered.

Nov 24 2008, 4:51 am Vi3t-X Post #43

I lol'd after reading this. I can bet that Yoshi lives within a 10km radius of me. :bleh:

Anyways, more to the matter is, Maplantis died because people persuaded for a merge. Perhaps you didn't want the merge, perhaps you did. It doesn't matter.

If you want a Maplantis skin, create one. All the files are there. The few things you might have to ask for is css code or maybe some scripts that were there. Other then that, you have a wide array of resources availible to you. Submit to Moose and/or IP and bribe them to add it. :P

Less bitching, more being in important topics.

None.

Nov 24 2008, 4:58 am Echo Post #44

A great man once said "Ask not what your SC forum can do for you, but what you can do for your SC forum.." so stop crying and do something (That would benefit SEN only, kk thx.).

None.

Nov 24 2008, 5:33 am Doodan Post #45

Quote from Syphon
Also, who didn't see this coming? We had a perfectly working, fast, well made website competing with a half-done failure with a promise to "get things working soon". What do we do? Go with name brand instead of sticking with what works. It's a year later, and it still doesn't work. Surprise.

Well, maplantis went down because 2 of the 3 founders didn't stick to their word, and that remaining founder didn't have time to do their jobs. It wasn't really decided by the community that went to both sites. I liked maplantis too, but you can't really blame its demise on the users.

None.

Nov 24 2008, 5:49 am Impeached Post #46

Maplantis was nice. It wasn't buggy like this, either (or as buggy).

But it's gone, and it's near-definitely not coming back, so stop whining?

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Nov 24 2008, 5:56 am by Impeached.

None.

Nov 24 2008, 6:31 am ToA Post #47

Que Sera, Sera.

Quote from Impeached

But it's gone, and it's near-definitely not coming back, so stop whining?

QFT

Nov 24 2008, 4:14 pm mikelat Post #48

Quote from Vi3t-X
Anyways, more to the matter is, Maplantis died because people persuaded for a merge. Perhaps you didn't want the merge, perhaps you did. It doesn't matter.
Nobody at maplantis really wanted to merge, there wasn't much of a point. I can honestly say that taking Maplantis down was a selfish action by me, because I did not trust anyone to run the site, pay for the site, and admin the site. The people whom I thought I could trust, evidently got sick of it.

It was a reliable working site, it's the kind of creative output people expect from me at this point. If only I had another person or two who shared this ambition to make a solid reliable simple site, literally there would be no reason to shut down a site like Maplantis, ever.

None.

Nov 25 2008, 12:58 am Matt Burch Post #49

I can host it. I'm gonna get an actual paid-for server in january, and i can get a domain for it. I could get it online soon if that's okay with you?

None.

Nov 25 2008, 4:54 am O)FaRTy1billion[MM] Post #50

👻 👾 👽 💪

It was a reliable working site, it's the kind of creative output people expect from me at this point. If only I had another person or two who shared this ambition to make a solid reliable simple site, literally there would be no reason to shut down a site like Maplantis, ever.
If only I didn't have such a bad trend going with losing motivation on projects... ><

TinyMap2 - Latest in map compression! ( 7/09/14 - New build! )
EUD Action Enabler - Lightweight EUD/EPD support! (ChaosLauncher/MPQDraft support!)
EUDDB - topic - Help out by adding your EUDs! Or Submit reference files in the References tab!
MapSketch - New image->map generator!
EUDTrig - topic - Quickly and easily convert offsets to EUDs! (extended players supported)
SC2 Map Texture Mask Importer/Exporter - Edit texture placement in an image editor!
\:farty\: This page has been viewed [img]http://farty1billion.dyndns.org/Clicky.php?img.gif[/img] times!

Nov 25 2008, 5:17 am Moose Post #51

We live in a society.

Quote from O)FaRTy1billion[MM]
If only I didn't have such a bad trend going with losing motivation on projects... ><
So uh.... how's that bot that can run off the server going? :D

Nov 26 2008, 1:16 pm mikelat Post #52

Quote from Matt Burch
I can host it. I'm gonna get an actual paid-for server in january, and i can get a domain for it. I could get it online soon if that's okay with you?
I could just open source the code. Then you could adapt it into your own site however you want, and you'd know how I pulled off the map generation stuff.

To open it up under new management is probably not what I wanted to do, if someones going to make a successor to Maplantis then they should take bits that everyone liked about it (simple interface, powerful, automated, etc) and put them together.

Plus, you have your own site and it'd be impossible for you to manage both at once. If however you were able to (additionally with anyone else, such as SEN or someone else interested in making a map making site) to pick out maplantis pieces of code, then there would no longer be a problem.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Nov 26 2008, 1:22 pm by Yoshi.

None.

Nov 26 2008, 9:15 pm Syphon Post #53

Quote from Mini Moose 2707
Sorry, Syphon... you get what you pay for.
Should've worked out a better contract with SEN before you registered.

It's not that I don't like the brand - I love it.

But why was it so insistent that when we switched back we kept the old SeN code. :/

If Maplantis simply would've been rebranded, everyone would've been happy.

None.

Nov 26 2008, 9:45 pm Matt Burch Post #54

To open it up under new management is probably not what I wanted to do, if someones going to make a successor to Maplantis then they should take bits that everyone liked about it (simple interface, powerful, automated, etc) and put them together.
I have my eye on StarDepot.org .

None.

Nov 26 2008, 10:29 pm mikelat Post #55

Quote from Matt Burch
I have my eye on StarDepot.org .
There's a few things you should know:
  • It's built on a older, now unsupported version of Latova. It'll be up to you to determine what parts of code do what.
  • The maplantis modules are mostly uncommented and disorganized.
  • I'll only be able to give you the partial database. This means no user accounts (for obvious reasons), no map files, no wiki entries, etc. If you're looking for content, you'll have to make it happen at your own site with your own loyal visitors.
  • If you're looking to take parts of code, if you take any significant portions I'll ask you to write a "thanks" and link back to Latova.
  • If you or anyone else wants to try to get the site engine running again on their own server to run the site under a rebranded name, I'll insist that they keep the copyright
  • I'll post some basic instructions, like how the map generator works... and a few basic things. I'm going to assume you already know HTML, CSS, JS, and a good bit of PHP.

All someone has to tell me here is "I want it" and I'll work on posting it up for you, so I confirm at least 1 person is interested in obtaining this.

None.

Nov 26 2008, 10:38 pm Generalpie Post #56

Staredit Puckwork

the maplantis skin would be nice yoshi, but first we need to someone to fix all the major bugs and features first.

None.

Nov 26 2008, 11:56 pm mikelat Post #57

Quote from Generalpie
the maplantis skin would be nice yoshi, but first we need to someone to fix all the major bugs and features first.
I don't code SEN, I don't skin it either.

None.

Nov 27 2008, 12:03 am Centreri Post #58

Relatively ancient and inactive

We need more IP. Or someone who's experimenting with PHP and wants to work on SEN as a side-project. I gather that's pretty much how SEN's been coded so far :P.

None.

Nov 27 2008, 6:06 am Matt Burch Post #59

Quote from Centreri
We need more IP. Or someone who's experimenting with PHP and wants to work on SEN as a side-project. I gather that's pretty much how SEN's been coded so far :P.
I'm already on board. Been on board for a while. Just haven't been able to do things without permissions and shit like that. I'm just sick of the connection not ever working.

• It's built on a older, now unsupported version of Latova. It'll be up to you to determine what parts of code do what.
  • The maplantis modules are mostly uncommented and disorganized.
  • I'll only be able to give you the partial database. This means no user accounts (for obvious reasons), no map files, no wiki entries, etc. If you're looking for content, you'll have to make it happen at your own site with your own loyal visitors.
  • If you're looking to take parts of code, if you take any significant portions I'll ask you to write a "thanks" and link back to Latova.
  • If you or anyone else wants to try to get the site engine running again on their own server to run the site under a rebranded name, I'll insist that they keep the copyright
  • I'll post some basic instructions, like how the map generator works... and a few basic things. I'm going to assume you already know HTML, CSS, JS, and a good bit of PHP.

All someone has to tell me here is "I want it" and I'll work on posting it up for you, so I confirm at least 1 person is interested in obtaining this.
The main reason as to why I wanted more of your input before I really did anything about this. Thanks for answering all of my questions without having to ask them. :)

I want it.

None.

Nov 27 2008, 6:27 am BlueWolf Post #60

I want it. I managed to get some of the smilies used from ur latova site. Actually from the download on the latova site. I was doing so much research and going through links that I ended up finding a very old version of SEN... when you guys were hiring staff...

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 2 3 4 >
  Back to forum